Installing a new OS?

AndyE12

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Can someone tell me how to install a OS onto a new HD? I have it on a cd, win98. The HD isnt absolutly new because it has some stuff on it but if that is a problem I can take them off. Thanks

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Best way to do it:
1 Use Win98 Startup disk to boot
2 If the partition settings you want are fine, all you need to do is format them. Use format c: or any other drive letter in place of c: to format.
3 Make sure you have your CDROM support loaded with your boot disk and go to your CD ROM drive in the DOS interface
4 Type setup.exe and let the installation begin!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

AndyE12

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Just a few questions, the drive has three partitions, is that gonna be a problem, do I need to reformat them all? How can I find my cdrom driver, I know it is already loaded on this computer since it is the same cdrom, is there a way to find it. Does the driver need to be on the boot disk or on another?

G

here is a boot disk that has all that stuff on it. just download it, and put it on a disk and then put it in the floppy drive and restart the computer it, will run through all the CD-rom stuff and everything. It will take you to a c prompt and then you can format what you need to, and then restart and then put in the Win98 CD and run the setup. -- about the 3 partitions, if you want all three, you can just format the C drive, and then put the OS on that one, or you could wipe them out and start fresh, it's up to you.

www.swt.edu/~ap35522/bootdisk.exe

Great understanding is broad and unhurried; little understanding is cramped and busy.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Partitioned drives perform poorly. If you don't need them get rid them. Cdrom drivers are unecessary if you are using a modern computer. Make sure your bios is configured to boot from a cdrom, and then boot directly from the windows cd. Formating the drive is the way to go before any windows installation.

-- Chaos is the better order.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best way is to FORGET about floppies. If you have the OEM or Full version Win98 CD, first change your BIOS to boot from CD. When it reboots, pick "start computer from CD Rom". Then select "Start computer with CD-ROM support". After it loads it will tell you the drive letter assigned to your CD ROM. At the A:> change to that drive letter. IF it's D:, that means to type in "D:" (without parenthesis). Then type FDISK. When ask if you want large disk support, select "Yes" by default by hitting the enter key. Then pick "View Partitions" If you have one FAT32 (NOT Fat16) partition, your golden.

If not, follow the prompts to remove the partitions ("esc. to continue", etc.). If you have multiple partitions, remove logical drives and then extended partitions, then your primary partion, in that order. Then "Creat Partition". When it ask if you want to make the partion full size and active, select "yes". Restart your computer.

Following the startup proceedure I outlined, select your CD drive (usually D:). Format is not in the root directory, but in the Win98 directory. So type "WIN98" (enter). Then "Format C:" (enter). When C: is formated, click enter. Then type in Setup. Now your rolling. If it stops at the end of Scandisk, click "x" for exit. Follow the setup prompts from there.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine