Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont play sound

Last response: in Windows 7
January 21, 2013 1:06:09 AM

So my speakers decided to not work after I unplugged them and then plugged them back in. I have read countless forums and have: updated my graphics driver, checked to make sure it is plugged in correctly, and configured many settings. It is not a problem with the speakers because I have gone and bought new ones that do work with my super old toshiba. This has to be a problem with the P.C. that I cannot figure out. I was using old dell speakers before and am using bose speakers now. My headset will play sound if this helps. I am using an asus p9 x79 motherboard with a geforce 550 ti graphics card... can anyone help?!?!?!?!?
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2013 1:50:10 AM

bamaboy00 said:
So my speakers decided to not work after I unplugged them and then plugged them back in. I have read countless forums and have: updated my graphics driver, checked to make sure it is plugged in correctly, and configured many settings. It is not a problem with the speakers because I have gone and bought new ones that do work with my super old toshiba. This has to be a problem with the P.C. that I cannot figure out. I was using old dell speakers before and am using bose speakers now. My headset will play sound if this helps. I am using an asus p9 x79 motherboard with a geforce 550 ti graphics card... can anyone help?!?!?!?!?

make sure on the back of the pc your using the green audio port. that the main port on most main mb.
here the link to the newest high audio drivers for you.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/
m
l
January 21, 2013 1:53:47 AM

Reinstall your sound drivers......Also if you go into device manager and uninstall sound drivers then reboot your system it miht reconize them automatically........Make sure your plug in play is turned on .
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 2:07:47 AM

do you plug the headset into the same port as the speakers?
m
l
January 21, 2013 2:43:20 PM

smorizio said:
make sure on the back of the pc your using the green audio port. that the main port on most main mb.
here the link to the newest high audio drivers for you.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/

ok, i downloaded the software and ran it, but it ended with no success. I am using a cd that came with my motherboard which seems to be the same version as the one on the website. I am also positive that i am plugging it into the correct plug. I have tried every plug in fact. this all happened when I unplugged my speakers from one usb port and plugged them back into the same one. Since then, i have bought bose speakers which only use the audio cord and not a usb...
m
l
January 21, 2013 2:44:14 PM

tenaciousk said:
Reinstall your sound drivers......Also if you go into device manager and uninstall sound drivers then reboot your system it miht reconize them automatically........Make sure your plug in play is turned on .

yeah, tried that :/  whenever i delete it, i just reboot and they reinstall. I still, however, get nothing but low static from the speakers.
m
l
January 21, 2013 2:46:16 PM

ARICH5 said:
do you plug the headset into the same port as the speakers?

my headset is tritons so they only use a usb port. I did try to plug my old speakers into this port, but it did not work. I now have bose speakers which only use a audio cord, unlike my old dell speakers which had a usb plug and audio cord.
m
l
January 21, 2013 10:56:03 PM

Did you try looking on your motherboard manufacturer site for Sound drivers and an updated chipset?
m
l
January 22, 2013 2:30:01 AM

tenaciousk said:
Did you try looking on your motherboard manufacturer site for Sound drivers and an updated chipset?

Yeah, my motherboard is 1 update behind... but whenever i try to update it, i either: get a mysterious .cap file or something, cant connect to the download server when i update from the internet, or manually do anything... I feel as if this update is the key to my problem, but I cant seem to figure out how to update it :/ 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2013 2:48:39 AM

bamaboy00 said:
Yeah, my motherboard is 1 update behind... but whenever i try to update it, i either: get a mysterious .cap file or something, cant connect to the download server when i update from the internet, or manually do anything... I feel as if this update is the key to my problem, but I cant seem to figure out how to update it :/ 

Most updates, especially when they are dealing with something related to a hardware component, will include a change log of some sort to help you determine what exactly has changed and why.

I just looked over the information in regards to changes and didn't notice anything that sticks out at me.

Check to make sure that the audio is enabled in the BIOS (which it usually is by default).

Quote:

Version 5.10.0.6657&6.0.1.66

Description Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.6657 for 32/64bit Windows XP.(WHQL)
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6657 for 32/64bit Windows Vista, 7 & 8.(WHQL)
File Size
140,68 (MBytes) 2012.09.13 update
Download from
Global (DLM) Global P2P

That appears to be the most recent audio update from Asus in regards to your motherboard. You are only using integrated audio correct?

You can download the latest drivers HERE .

UPDATE:

Also do the following:
Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound and click on Manage Audio Devices and provide us with the different options that are listed there. This will also help us determine what kind of audio driver your computer is using.
m
l
February 1, 2013 9:19:40 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Most updates, especially when they are dealing with something related to a hardware component, will include a change log of some sort to help you determine what exactly has changed and why.

I just looked over the information in regards to changes and didn't notice anything that sticks out at me.

Check to make sure that the audio is enabled in the BIOS (which it usually is by default).

Quote:

File Size
Download from
Global (DLM) Global P2P

That appears to be the most recent audio update from Asus in regards to your motherboard. You are only using integrated audio correct?

UPDATE:

Also do the following:
Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound and click on Manage Audio Devices and provide us with the different options that are listed there. This will also help us determine what kind of audio driver your computer is using.

I have updated my audio driver to the fullest and I believe I am using integrated audio... updating my mo. board to see if this is the problem.
m
l
February 1, 2013 10:28:27 PM

hedwar2011 said:

Quote:

File Size
Download from
Global (DLM) Global P2P

UPDATE:

Also do the following:

New problem, the bios update is .cap only, and I cant get the asus ai suite to download it manually... I have no idea how to use a flashback bios update thing :/ 
m
l
!