Sign in with
Your question

Putting together new Computer, final questions...

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 3:09:18 AM

I have a few questions before I go and put this computer together, here we go. This is the process i'm going to take, if there is a mistake in it please correct me.

1. Install all the hardware into the case (enlight 7237). I didn't get any rubber washers with the case, so what should I do here? The metal risers shouldn't touch the mobo (epox 8k7a) right?

2. Put in Windows98se CD, and begin setup, it should format my HD during setup, currect?

3. After Windows is done installing, I should install the AMD miniport drivers for win98, and the Highpoint IDE drivers, also, install the VIA 4in1 (the board is the amd 761/via 686b chipset), but deselect the AGP drivers for the 4in1, and let everything else install...

4. Install soundcard/graphics card drivers.

Any tips to make this go any smoother?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 3:43:48 AM

1) Im not too sure you neccessarily have to use washers. I have an Enlight case also with metal riser and those risers makes contact with my Iwill kk266 mobo. Everything works fine. Just go ahead and try it out, if it wont boot, <i>then</i> it may be a problem.

2) err...you missed some steps in between 1 and 2. Go ahead and install you video card(unless yours is onbard) and the Floppy drive.

Then you have to configure your motherboard--refer to your motherboard's manual.

Reboot.

No, Windows does not automatically format you HD during setup. You must make a windows 98 start-up disk that includes "fdisk.exe" and "format.com" along with the other necessary system files.
If you want to partition the drive, type "fdisk" at the C command prompt. At the A prompt, type "fdisk c:". If it does not work, it is because your hard drive is not attached properly.

The first partition is your primary DOS partition. This is your C: drive and can't be divided. This is also called the active partition. You can only have one active partition. The second partition is optional. It is called an extended partition. This is the space left over after the primary partition. Then, logical DOS drives are created within the extended partition, each having a letter by which you will refer to it.

First you have to setup a primary DOS partition. Choose Option 1 (Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive). Choose Option 1 in the next menu. Now you can make your entire C: drive the primary partition or only a part of it. Many people just make the entire drive one partition just to stay simple. If you want to break from this norm, specify the amount of drive you want to partition in either megabytes or percentage of total drive. If you are using a percentage, be sure to follow the number by a "%" or the computer will think you're talking MB's.

Next, you'll need to make this partition active. Return to the main FDISK menu and choose Option 2 (Set Active Partition). Follow the prompts.

If you're going to create an extended partition, choose Option 1 again, but this time choose Option 2 in the next menu (Create Extended DOS partition). Plug in the percentage of drive to partition for this one. Do not make this partition active. Only one can be active.

After you create an extended partition, you will be given the Create Logical Drives option in the extended partition menu. Follow the on-screen instructions to assign drive letters to your partitions D: through Z:.

After all this is done, you can choose Option 4 (Display Partition Information) and check your work.

If you have FAT32 and wish to use it, enter "Y" when asked if you want to use "Large Disk Support".

After the drive has been partitioned, reboot the machine with the system disk in Drive A:. If you try to do anything on the C: drive, you may get an error about Invalid Media Type. Don't worry about it. It's because you haven't formatted it yet. Now you must format the new C: drive. At the A> prompt, type "format c: /s". The "/s" tells it to make the disk bootable. You will get a warning saying that this action will erase all data on the drive. This is normal, and since there is no data on the drive, just press "Y" and move on. It will show the status as it happens.

If you created additional partitions on this drive, format those volumes now. Type "format d:" or "format e:", where the letter corresponds to the volume you wish to format. Do not type the "/s" since you only want the C: drive bootable.

Now remove the system disk and reboot. It is supposed to boot normally and up at the C: prompt. If you get an error like "No boot device found" or "No ROM Basic", you probably forgot to make the primary partition active. Run Fdisk again and fix that. If you get an error like "No Operating System", you probably forgot to make the disk bootable. Make sure you typed "/s" at the format command.

Insert your Windows CD and reboot.

At the command prompt, type SETUP and then follow the Windows 98 install wizard.

The rest should be easy.

3 & 4) Yes. Go ahead and start installing your drivers and the rest of your components--i.e. sound card, modem, etc.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 8:48:23 AM

AMD miniport drivers for Win98? What are these? My guess would be that it's related to the USB ports?

A nice day to all.

A nice day to all.
Related resources
June 6, 2001 10:56:52 AM

No, they're AGP port drivers.

On the subject could someone please explain why the AMD AGP drivers should be installed instead of the VIA AGP drivers?

I always see people advising to install AMD ones and not the VIA, just wondered why :) 

Thanks.

Beer is the devil's piss.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 2:37:54 PM

The AMD drivers should be installed because it is an AMD 761 chipset! Not a VIA KT266.

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 3:05:19 PM

Thanks a lot for all the info! I think i'll go ahead and get some rubber washers though, because i've heard that you can damage your motherboard. So if it doesn't boot up, it never may ;\
One last thing! Any specific order for the PCI cards to go in? I remember people saying it was good to have your soundcard and NIC in a certain arrangement to stop conflicts from happening.
Again, thanks a lot!
June 6, 2001 3:11:23 PM

Even though most AMD761 mobos are hybrid AMD/VIA chipsets, the AGP slot is handled by the NorthBridge--which, on AMD761 mobos, is always an AMD761 (naw really? :wink: ). The SouthBridge handles the PCI/ISA, AMR, onboard audio, IDE, floppy, and (I think) the external I/O ports (USB/COM/LPT/KB/Mouse)

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 3:46:55 PM

As for the washers, about all they might do is absorb tiny shock. If you look at the board, each mounting hole should be wrapped in a metal ring. That little pad is either insulated or attached to ground, and unless your case risers are an inch wide, there should be nothing to worry about. In other words, years of evolution have considered this issue already.

As for PCI cards, I think any slot-specific problems have long since disappeared. The only things I consider now are (1) Some motherboards reserve and IRQ for a soundcard in a specific slot (3?), which you can just disable and ignore, and (2) in theory, if you install the soundcard furthest from the video and other big RF producers, you could potentially get cleaner sound. But again, if there's a difference it'll likely be negligible. I just do this to feel like my arrangement is "optimized". :-)
June 6, 2001 4:09:13 PM

shiznit ...

The Win98SE disk WILL format the active partition during the installation, if it's one of the newer disks with the silvery holographic imagery. Of course, it can't create the partition, but it can do the format for you. It will appear as part of the options in the menu.

Wild, huh? I flipped out when I saw it the first time.

By the way ... nice set of directions for a new installation. (Applause!)

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847&lt;/A>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 6:20:22 PM

Hey thanks, thats what I meant--it can formant, but not partition.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
June 6, 2001 7:06:23 PM

just make sure that the risers only go to the holes in the motherboard. that way you don't need to insulate them or anything. I know a dude who put all the risers there were holes for in the case and put the mobo on top. It of course didn't boot.
!