Sokoban amulet worn by some other creature?

What a surprise... After solving the top Sokoban level I found out (by
warning intrinsic) that the amulet chamber was occupied by some creature.
But when I made my first shot with some wand into the zoo it bounced on
the amulet of some were-foo; this was not the creature in the chamber
(which was still locked in there). The chamber turned out to has no other
amulet. Very strange. How did the were-foo got the amulet? Any ideas?

Janis

The game may be inspected at http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/DiamondRobin/
2005-05-29.21:07:34.ttyrec

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in news:d7difo$edo$1
@online.de:

> What a surprise... After solving the top Sokoban level I found out (by
> warning intrinsic) that the amulet chamber was occupied by some creature.
> But when I made my first shot with some wand into the zoo it bounced on
> the amulet of some were-foo; this was not the creature in the chamber
> (which was still locked in there). The chamber turned out to has no other
> amulet. Very strange. How did the were-foo got the amulet? Any ideas?

Simple. The were-foo was generated by the correct door or was woken up and
moved there. Then it simply opened the door, picked up the amulet and wore
it. Remember that not all creatures respect that word on the floor
underneath your prize. I've had elves wear the "oR as well.

sawtooth

sawtooth wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in news:d7difo$edo$1
> @online.de:
>

>>What a surprise... After solving the top Sokoban level I found out (by
>>warning intrinsic) that the amulet chamber was occupied by some creature.
>>But when I made my first shot with some wand into the zoo it bounced on
>>the amulet of some were-foo; this was not the creature in the chamber
>>(which was still locked in there). The chamber turned out to has no other
>>amulet. Very strange. How did the were-foo got the amulet? Any ideas?
>>

> Simple. The were-foo was generated by the correct door or was woken up and
> moved there. Then it simply opened the door, picked up the amulet and wore
> it. Remember that not all creatures respect that word on the floor
> underneath your prize. I've had elves wear the "oR as well.
>
> sawtooth

I think Janis is reporting that the room with E burned on the floor had
its door closed. This does not fit well with your explanation of what
may have occurred.

An alternate possibility that requires a lot of strange things
happening: the initial load of the level had a shapechanging creature in
that room that picked up the "oR and put it around its neck. During the
time DiamondRobin pushed all the boulders around, the shapechanger took
a form that enabled it to slide under/around the door. Finally, it
changed into the were-foo when DR got there, and in the meantime another
monster spawned in the room. Pure speculation, of course!

-Ken

sawtooth wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in news:d7difo$edo$1
> @online.de:
>

>>What a surprise... After solving the top Sokoban level I found out (by
>>warning intrinsic) that the amulet chamber was occupied by some creature.
>>But when I made my first shot with some wand into the zoo it bounced on
>>the amulet of some were-foo; this was not the creature in the chamber
>>(which was still locked in there). The chamber turned out to has no other
>>amulet. Very strange. How did the were-foo got the amulet? Any ideas?
>>

> Simple. The were-foo was generated by the correct door or was woken up and
> moved there. Then it simply opened the door, picked up the amulet and wore
> it. Remember that not all creatures respect that word on the floor
> underneath your prize. I've had elves wear the "oR as well.

But how does that explain that the door was still locked? Do monsters
lock doors as well?

BManx2000 wrote:
> sawtooth wrote:
>
>> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> @online.de:
>>
>>> What a surprise... After solving the top Sokoban level I found out (by
>>> warning intrinsic) that the amulet chamber was occupied by some
>>> creature.
>>> But when I made my first shot with some wand into the zoo it bounced on
>>> the amulet of some were-foo; this was not the creature in the chamber
>>> (which was still locked in there). The chamber turned out to has no
>>> other
>>> amulet. Very strange. How did the were-foo got the amulet? Any ideas?
>>
>> Simple. The were-foo was generated by the correct door or was woken
>> up and moved there. Then it simply opened the door, picked up the
>> amulet and wore it. Remember that not all creatures respect that word
>> on the floor underneath your prize. I've had elves wear the "oR as well.
>>
> But how does that explain that the door was still locked? Do monsters
> lock doors as well?

My fault! - I replayed the game and saw that apparently I wrongly assumed
that the amulet was in the middle room, but it wasn't; the were-foo had
taken the amulet from the top room and that door was indeed open. Sorry
for carrying my confusion over to you. %-)

Janis

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <d7difo$edo$1@online.de>,
Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What a surprise... After solving the top Sokoban level I found out (by
>warning intrinsic) that the amulet chamber was occupied by some creature.
>But when I made my first shot with some wand into the zoo it bounced on
>the amulet of some were-foo; this was not the creature in the chamber
>(which was still locked in there). The chamber turned out to has no other
>amulet. Very strange. How did the were-foo got the amulet? Any ideas?

Just count your blessings that it was a were-creature and not a
blind metallivore. Or picked up by an elf-lord, who was later killed
via conflict, whereupon a rock mole ate the amulet...

james wrote:
> In article <d7difo$edo$1@online.de>,
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [ sokoban amulet taken by a were-foo ]
>
> Just count your blessings that it was a were-creature and not a
> blind metallivore.

Would the creature really need to _see_ the engraving to respect the
E-word?

> Or picked up by an elf-lord, who was later killed
> via conflict, whereupon a rock mole ate the amulet...

Reminds me my pet picking up my bag of holding with the full ascension
stuff and everything, then being disintegrated by a black dragon. Doh!

Janis