wedge

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Hello, I need some help with a character writeup. I want to start a
Star Trek D20 game. I have a few of the aliens written up, but I need
help with Data. He's not going to be a PC, but an NPC, but I am having
trouble with his stats. I was thinking 32 STR (which means he could
lift about a ton), 30 DEX, -- CON (he's a construct), 30 INT, 10 WIS, 6
CHA, eiditic memory, and encyclopedic knowledge, HD 1d10. That's all I
have so far. If anyone can suggest ideas, or post a link that I could
go to to find relevant information, it would be most appreciated.

In article <1110388059.204817.79730@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Wedge <sungrey5@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello, I need some help with a character writeup. I want to start a
>Star Trek D20 game. I have a few of the aliens written up, but I need
>help with Data. He's not going to be a PC, but an NPC, but I am having
>trouble with his stats. I was thinking 32 STR (which means he could
>lift about a ton),

He's stronger than the average human, or even than a strong one, but not
*that* much stronger. I'd go with STR 20.

> 30 DEX, -- CON (he's a construct),

Where do you get this from? I don't recall him being more agile than regular
folks.

> 30 INT,

Maybe 18-20, with a lot of knowledge(physics), but I just don't see superhuman
intelligence. Hmm. The episode with the holodeck Moriarty suggested he's
smarter than Sherlock Holmes. Did any D20 supplements stat out Sherlock?

> 10 WIS, 6
>CHA, eiditic memory, and encyclopedic knowledge, HD 1d10. That's all I
>have so far. If anyone can suggest ideas, or post a link that I could
>go to to find relevant information, it would be most appreciated.

What level is he?

Since he's a construct there's the question of whether he has DR and if so how
much.

On 11 Mar 2005 22:39:28 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
scribed into the ether:

>In article <1110388059.204817.79730@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>Wedge <sungrey5@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Hello, I need some help with a character writeup. I want to start a
>>Star Trek D20 game. I have a few of the aliens written up, but I need
>>help with Data. He's not going to be a PC, but an NPC, but I am having
>>trouble with his stats. I was thinking 32 STR (which means he could
>>lift about a ton),
>
>He's stronger than the average human, or even than a strong one, but not
>*that* much stronger. I'd go with STR 20.

He's able to effortlessly lift an anvil with one hand, and has also been
known to move large pieces of wreckage with similar lack of effort, as well
as the ability to bend thick bars of solid metal. 32 seems a bit high, but
20 seems low. 26?

>> 30 DEX, -- CON (he's a construct),
>
>Where do you get this from? I don't recall him being more agile than regular
>folks.

He's definately more agile than most folks...when he was doing surgery on
his child his "hands moved faster than I could see" according to the
admiral who was there. 30 again is too high...20-22 probably.

>> 30 INT,
>
>Maybe 18-20, with a lot of knowledge(physics), but I just don't see superhuman
>intelligence. Hmm. The episode with the holodeck Moriarty suggested he's
>smarter than Sherlock Holmes. Did any D20 supplements stat out Sherlock?

His intelligence isn't really easily codified into human parameters...bleh,
now I'm writing like he talks. In the episode where he tries dating, when
asked what he was thinking about during a kiss, his list is about 7 totally
unrelated items to which he was giving what for a human would be full
concentration. His brain is a lot like a half dozen or so 18-20
intelligence brains all working together.

>Since he's a construct there's the question of whether he has DR and if so how
>much.

He's definately got DR. He takes an extended burst from an assault rifle
and suffers no ill effects.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2005 22:39:28 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
> scribed into the ether:
>
>>In article <1110388059.204817.79730@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>Wedge <sungrey5@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> 30 INT,
>>
>>Maybe 18-20, with a lot of knowledge(physics), but I just don't see
>>superhuman intelligence. Hmm. The episode with the holodeck Moriarty
>>suggested he's smarter than Sherlock Holmes. Did any D20 supplements
>>stat out Sherlock?
>
> His intelligence isn't really easily codified into human
> parameters...bleh, now I'm writing like he talks. In the episode where
> he tries dating, when asked what he was thinking about during a kiss,
> his list is about 7 totally unrelated items to which he was giving
> what for a human would be full concentration. His brain is a lot like
> a half dozen or so 18-20 intelligence brains all working together.

I've never been much on Star Trek (of any generation), but I remember
seeing an episode where he was listening too (and evidently enjoying)
many different pieces of classical music at once.

This could be part Wisdom (differentiating that many pieces at the same
time would probably require good perception -- trait of Wisdom) though.

Keith
--
Keith Davies "English is not a language. English is a
keith.davies@kjdavies.org bad habit shared between Norman invaders

On 9 Mar 2005 09:07:39 -0800, "Wedge" <sungrey5@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello, I need some help with a character writeup. I want to start a
>Star Trek D20 game. I have a few of the aliens written up, but I need
>help with Data. He's not going to be a PC, but an NPC, but I am having
>trouble with his stats. I was thinking 32 STR (which means he could
>lift about a ton),

Data isn't that strong.

Please try to distinguish between intelligence and knowledge when statting
Data. He's not smarter than a human can be. He's just more knowledgeable
than any one human. D20 has knowledge skills for this purpose, as well as
skill focus feats to emphasize such capabilities. The speed of the machine
can be handled adequately with Haste rules rather than reliance on unearthly
dexterity scores.

There are serious reasons to consider making use of d20 modern smart hero
ideas so as to avoid reinventing the wheel.

-Michael