Running Duron on 133(266)MHz FSB

I just purchased a Duron 850, and a board capable of 100 or 133 MHz FSB speeds. Rather than overclocking the chip core, I'd like to reduce the multiplier such that 133 x M = 850. Setting the core multiplier to 6.5 will give just over 850. But, it looks like a lot of cutting and connecting those little contacts on the chip package. Does anyone have recommendations as to whether this will work well or not?

Also, I've heard that there exists a single set of contacts that when connected, essentially unlocks the chip settings and allows the board to configure multiplier, voltage, etc. Is this true? Thanks in advance!
11 answers Last reply
More about running duron
  1. read this one here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1440&p=1

Basically 866 (133x6.5) will give you a nice perfomance boost over 850 (8x100) IF you can get it to work.. IF you have a motherboard that chooses 133 fsb with a jumper and mulitplier in Bios, you may have a problem as the system will try to boot at 8.5x133 until bios kicks in. Your Duron is likely not to take that.

So, if you want to this anyway, you either need a MB that supports multiplier with dipswitches (hardware), or 133 fsb in bios. Or, you can cut your L4 (I think) bridges to configure your duron at 6.5... very tricky, I wouldnt advise you try this. You'd be better of increasing the multiplier to 9+

Btw, next time, get a Duron 600 or 650. Works just fine on a 133 fsb without reducing the multiplier.. I even increased mine to 7 (933 Mhz), and that still works. No cutting required :-))))

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip
  2. I don't think the Duron can run at 133 MHz ( 266 ) MHz Bus..

Don't think so...
    hmm

I know max i can get is 118 ( 236 ) from mine, but i am also using a KT133 Chipset soo..
    but still.

I beleive u need a Athlon C for this, and im not sure if Athlon B's or Tbird ( 200 )'s can run 266 ok.
    im not to sure.

Duron i dont think so..

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
  3. Yes, the board has a jumper for 100/133. True that it will be a lot of work changing the bridges... I especially like the fact that I'd have to cut contacts as well as connect others. I'm picturing a dremel tool mounted on a drill press... :-)

Likely what I'll do is search for benchmark results comparing Athlons at the two bus speeds, and see what the boost is like. It's just a very appealing option since the speed should go up quite a bit with no actual overclocking of the core.
  4. the duron and athlon B can run at 133fsb but the kt133 chipset cannot
    if you had the kt133a it would work
  5. <b>
    Quote:
    im not sure if Athlon B's or Tbird ( 200 )'s can run 266 ok.
    im not to sure.</b>

I've been running TBird 700@866 (133x6.5) and it works fine on my A7V133.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  6. <b>
    Quote:
    Does anyone have recommendations as to whether this will work well or not?</b>

First thing you should do is reconnecting all L1 bridges (and L7 if you want to manipulate voltage). I don't think you would encounter any problem if you run it at 133MHz X 6.5 (866MHz).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  7. Dont expect anything more than 10% in some benches, 0% in others. I think Aces did a review of the 133 vs 100 Duron. From what I recall, a Duron 800 with 133 fsb would be about as fast as a 850/100.. not that big a deal.

8. DAMMIT

MY darn KT133...

DAMMIT

WHY did i have to buy it!
    sigh..

Well.. ... .... .... I have a 133 MHz setting on my KT133
    its not stable thou

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
  9. When the first DDR mobos came out I asked someone to run benchmarks for me. I wanted to know if it was worth upgrading the mobo for the faster bus speed. His Duron did not have any trouble running at 133 mhz. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me, since I did not waste any more money), the Duron at 133 mhz did not significant outperform a Duron at 100 mhz (both close to 800 mhz internally, I think) using SDRAM. The gains weren't insignificant but they were not worth replacing a mobo and buy new DDR memory.

What was that person handle. KN... something or other.

I'll update when I find it

<b>Update:</b>

Sorry, I posed the question when the KT133A motherboards came out not the DDR motherboards.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=627652#627652" target="_new">Here is the link</A> with those benchmarks. The poster was KN7671. (Thanks again).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/06/01 05:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  10. 133 Mhz on a KT133 ?? You mean memory clock or fsb ? fsb, there is no chance in hell it will do anything beyond 110-115.
    memory should work just fine if you got pc-133 though

11. Actually, I got my KT7-RAID running at 133.

I don't overclock it to this setting for normal use, but I was able to get it to boot and run some benchmarks. Anything past 133 and it's a no go. 120 seems to be the highest rock stable setting it will take.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chip Duron