What to do next...

Last response: in Video Games
June 2, 2005 6:52:36 AM

Well, my current game is going pretty good, better than any previous
ones to date. I'm playing a lawful female dwarven valk. I just finished
the quest (first time i've ever even gotten there). Heres a summary of
the game to date:

Decided to do sokoban first, and got an early wish from a throne on the
way there, used it on gray dragon scale mail, unfortunately only got a
+0 one, but still rather nice. I got a BoH in sokoban, then went back to
clear out the mines. I finally found an altar at about Dlvl 12 which i
converted, got mojo, and made some holy water. Next level down I cleared
out another throne room and got another wish. I debated between
reflection and gauntlets of power. Since i had mojo and i know how
useful it can be throwing, i went with the GoP. Just a little bit later
I found a magic lamp. I wished for a blessed magic marker. The reason
for this is that at this point i had only found one shop outside mintown
and had only found 1 scroll of id. I had a lot of items i couldn't id
and a few blank scrolls. I concluded being able to id my equipment would
be better for me at that point. As it turned out, I had alot of useful
items, particularly rings. I then continued down to about Dlvl 18 and
finally got to lvl 14 and then went and did that quest, which is where i
stand now. The only downside of this game so far is that severe lack of
shops, only one outside minetown. Here are my stats and gear

STR 25
DEX 15
CON 20
INT 11
WIS 15
CHA 7

fire resistant
cold resistant
telepathy
magic-protected
stealthy
fast
extremely lucky
see invisible

HP 139
AC -23 (naked ac 1)
Lvl 14

Weapons:
the blessed rustproof +1 Excalibur
the blessed rustproof +6 Mjollnir
unided silver saber

Armor:
a blessed +3 gray dragon scale mail
an uncursed burnt +0 cloak of protection
an uncursed +1 orcish helm
an uncursed +0 pair of elven boots
an uncursed very burnt very rotted +3 small shield
a blessed rustproof +4 gauntlets of power

Scrolls of interest
genocide of assorted BUC status
teleport
ID
enchant armor (need to bless)
gold detection
several blank scrolls

Rings
conflict
teleport control
polymorph
levitation
teleportation
free action
regeneration
prot. from shapechangers

Wands
many of striking/magic missile
2 of polymorph (plan on polypiling)
sleep
make invisible
cold
sleep
digging
teleport

Other things of interest
blessed tinning kit
uncursed blindfold (for telepathy)
blessed unihorn
blessed Orb of Fate
bell of opening
blessed magic marker (0:2)

Now, my questions are as follows:

1. What should I do to prepare for medusa, and how can I best go about
dispatching her?

2. Should I start two-weaponing with the silver saber or continue to use
a shield?

3. I need reflection, should i get a shield or amulet, given the choice
(related to previous question)?

4. Any other suggestions/comments/tips as I have not yet progressed this
far in the game?

More about : question

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 8:23:52 AM

As a quick follow-up, I just found medusa, finished her off with little
difficulty. The perseus statue had a shield of reflection so I blessed
it and enchanted it up to +5, so I am now using that and have an AC of
-29. I think I'm going to head back up to an altar and make myself a bit
more holy water and then head to the castle. Also, any tips on what to
use the /oW for I will find at the castle?
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:12:59 PM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Paul Giampaolo wrote:

> Now, my questions are as follows:
>
> 1. What should I do to prepare for medusa, and how can I best go about
> dispatching her?

So, this has been done.

> 2. Should I start two-weaponing with the silver saber or continue to use
> a shield?

Twoweaponing is really good. Twoweaponing a silver saber is *really* good
in Gehennom. I would advice to try it. But keep your shield if you have no
other mean of reflection.

> 3. I need reflection, should i get a shield or amulet, given the choice
> (related to previous question)?

Amulet, imho. Or find (reverse genocide) some silver dragon and switch to
SDSM + cloak of MR (or Castle whishes) (allow AoLS, more a confort than a
real necessity, you can perfectly ascend without dying).

> 4. Any other suggestions/comments/tips as I have not yet progressed this
> far in the game?

Genocide mind flayers and MMF (beware, no blessed geno since you're a
dwarf !)
Blessed geno L before going to hell.
You may want to blessed geno V, but that's not really necessary.
Get shock resistance before you start throwing Mojo everywhere.
Get more HPs (alchemy or nurse dancing, you choose (or both)). 300 HPs
should be more confortable and not too hard to achieve.
Make a lot of holy water, bless all that you use frequently.
Keep a separate bag (not holding) with blessed scroll of remove curse and
2 holy water (in case BoH become cursed).
Dig out stair-tostair path in each diggable level, fill path in Medusa.
You''l hopefully need to go up as fast as possible. The sofisticated
option is to dig pits on both sides of your path, in order to have
monsters surrounding you trapped.
In the same order of idea, I often dig out every square surrounding stairs
in order to allow easy pet transport with magic whistle (if there are 8
square surrounding you, you can easily walk with 4 or 5 pets).
Get speed boots.
Enchant your gear to +4/+5.
Switch your orcish helm to helm of telepathy or eleven leather helm
(better AC).

> As a quick follow-up, I just found medusa, finished her off with little
> difficulty. The perseus statue had a shield of reflection so I blessed
> it and enchanted it up to +5, so I am now using that and have an AC of
> -29. I think I'm going to head back up to an altar and make myself a bit
> more holy water and then head to the castle. Also, any tips on what to
> use the /oW for I will find at the castle?

First, look for what there is in the armory.
Then, I would go for scrolls of charging (if you don't already know it,
else magic marker), speed boots and enough magic marker to have all your
stuff top-enchanted and foo-proofed.
Then, a blessed figurine of an Archon may be funny but can be dangerous.
Then, keep wishes for later (HoOA on astral, replacement or a
destroyed/lost item,...)
(if you do not manage to get Orcus's wand (eg, because of Mojo), spending
a wish for a wand of death may be usefull to kill Rodney)

By the way, as you'll soon discover in Gehennom, having a permanent light
source is very usefull and worth more than a wish, I would not have
recommended to rub your magic lamp (but I would have done the same in your
situation, only after having cross Gehennom with both a monk+theEyes and a
Valk with oil lamps (sometimes) do I value magic lamp above wish...)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
June 2, 2005 5:49:23 PM

Paul Giampaolo <prg8@pitt.edu> writes:

> Decided to do sokoban first, and got an early wish from a throne on the
> way there, used it on gray dragon scale mail, unfortunately only got a
> +0 one, but still rather nice. I got a BoH in sokoban, then went back to
> clear out the mines. I finally found an altar at about Dlvl 12 which i
> converted, got mojo, and made some holy water. Next level down I cleared
> out another throne room and got another wish. I debated between
> reflection and gauntlets of power. Since i had mojo and i know how
> useful it can be throwing, i went with the GoP. Just a little bit later
> I found a magic lamp. I wished for a blessed magic marker.

Here I definitively would have gone for reflection.

> 1. What should I do to prepare for medusa, and how can I best go about
> dispatching her?

Medusa's not a real problem; first you can just dig through the
level, second you can kill her in melee while blind.

> 2. Should I start two-weaponing with the silver saber or continue to use
> a shield?

Well, I think it's good to start practicing #twoweaponing,
but be prepared that the results will be worse than now
at the beginning.

> 3. I need reflection, should i get a shield or amulet, given the choice
> (related to previous question)?

I'd say amulet. But I'm a #twoweapon-junkie.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:52:44 PM

Paul Giampaolo <prg8@pitt.edu> writes:

> As a quick follow-up, I just found medusa, finished her off with little
> difficulty. The perseus statue had a shield of reflection so I blessed
> it and enchanted it up to +5, so I am now using that and have an AC of
> -29. I think I'm going to head back up to an altar and make myself a bit
> more holy water and then head to the castle. Also, any tips on what to
> use the /oW for I will find at the castle?

First wish goes for scrolls of charging if you don't have one
already. Boots of speed are crucial. I like a helm of
telepathy, but usually don't waste wishes for that. Magic
markers are always good since they're flexible (reverse-genocide,
enchant, id, spellbooks).

Best,
Jakob
!