any problems installing XP SP1 TO AN 8200?

I got me Dell Dim. 8200 in July of '02. I haven't yet installed XP SP1,
never mind XP SP2. When SP1 first came out, I vaguely remember reading about
some problems some people had with it- including some Outlook Express
problems.

Comments? Should I stop being such a weenie, and just go and install SP1?
How about SP2- for which I've starting hearing problems also.

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

SP 2 includes all previous security updates and bug fixes, including SP 1.

If your computer is properly configured and stable, and you have read the
information on Microsoft's web site and have prepared yourself accordingly,
you have nothing to worry about by installing SP 2.

Ted Zieglar

"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
> I got me Dell Dim. 8200 in July of '02. I haven't yet installed XP SP1,
> never mind XP SP2. When SP1 first came out, I vaguely remember reading
about
> some problems some people had with it- including some Outlook Express
> problems.
>
> Comments? Should I stop being such a weenie, and just go and install SP1?
> How about SP2- for which I've starting hearing problems also.
>
> --
> *************
> Joe Zorzin

OK, but excuse my stupidity- you mean just skip SP1 entirely? I won't miss
anything?

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

Joe Zorzin wrote:
> OK, but excuse my stupidity- you mean just skip SP1 entirely?

yes, supposedly

"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
|I got me Dell Dim. 8200 in July of '02. I haven't yet installed XP SP1,
| never mind XP SP2. When SP1 first came out, I vaguely remember reading
about
| some problems some people had with it- including some Outlook Express
| problems.
|
| Comments? Should I stop being such a weenie, and just go and install SP1?
| How about SP2- for which I've starting hearing problems also.
|
| --
| *************
| Joe Zorzin

Running XPSP2 on a Dimension 8200 here for a couple of weeks now. No
problems. A couple of minors things that didn't work before (XP~UPS
interface and shadow copy of "files in use" during backup) apparently fixed
by the Service Pack.

Prior to SP2 was running XPSP1 since shortly after it came out. No problems
there either.

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant to say is that SP 2 includes every
security update and bug fix that isn't already on your computer. So if you
haven't installed SP 1 - you naughty person, you - SP 2 will install SP 1
and all the updates since then. Don't install SP 1 - SP 2 will do it for
you.

> OK, but excuse my stupidity- you mean just skip SP1 entirely? I won't miss
> anything?
>
> --
> *************
> Joe Zorzin
>

> "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > SP 2 includes all previous security updates and bug fixes, including SP
1.

> > If your computer is properly configured and stable, and you have read
the
> > information on Microsoft's web site and have prepared yourself
> accordingly,
> > you have nothing to worry about by installing SP 2.
> >
> > Ted Zieglar
> >
> > "Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
> > > I got me Dell Dim. 8200 in July of '02. I haven't yet installed XP
SP1,
> > > never mind XP SP2. When SP1 first came out, I vaguely remember reading
> > about
> > > some problems some people had with it- including some Outlook Express
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > Comments? Should I stop being such a weenie, and just go and install
> SP1?
> > > How about SP2- for which I've starting hearing problems also.
> > >
> > > --
> > > *************
> > > Joe Zorzin

"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
>I got me Dell Dim. 8200 in July of '02. I haven't yet installed XP SP1,
> never mind XP SP2. When SP1 first came out, I vaguely remember reading
> about
> some problems some people had with it- including some Outlook Express
> problems.
>
> Comments? Should I stop being such a weenie, and just go and install SP1?
> How about SP2- for which I've starting hearing problems also.
>
> --
> *************
> Joe Zorzin

If you presently or ultimately want USB 2.0 support, you'll need at least
SP1. I'd suggest going ahead with SP2.

I've now got it on three desktops here at home without major issues.

Stew

I'm up to 5 desktops and one laptop Stew. Zero issues so far.

> "Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
>>I got me Dell Dim. 8200 in July of '02. I haven't yet installed XP SP1,
>> never mind XP SP2. When SP1 first came out, I vaguely remember reading
>> about
>> some problems some people had with it- including some Outlook Express
>> problems.
>>
>> Comments? Should I stop being such a weenie, and just go and install SP1?
>> How about SP2- for which I've starting hearing problems also.
>>
>> --
>> *************
>> Joe Zorzin
>>

> If you presently or ultimately want USB 2.0 support, you'll need at least
> SP1. I'd suggest going ahead with SP2.
>
> I've now got it on three desktops here at home without major issues.
>

> Stew

Regarding USB 2.0, does that mean I can then install a peripheral needing
USB 2.0 and it will work, without installing a USB 2.0 card? (like my HP
Scanjet which can use USB 2.0)

(hey guys, I used to be a great nerd- but that was several years ago- but if
you don't keep up, those nerd brain cells deteriorate rapidly)

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

| Regarding USB 2.0, does that mean I can then install a peripheral needing
| USB 2.0 and it will work, without installing a USB 2.0 card? (like my HP
| Scanjet which can use USB 2.0)

No. You'll still need to add a USB 2.0 card to a Dimension 8200 *and* at
least SP1.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Having said that, the Scanjet really won't take advantage of USB2. I
wouldn't install a card just for a scanner. It runs fine on USB1.1.

Tom
"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:kpCYc.52618$cT6.47015@fe2.columbus.rr.com...