High CPU temp at Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellite

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Hey guys,

I bought a laptop this summer and I'm starting to notice it's getting loud. I check the temp of my hardware to find that CPU temp at idle is between 55-60 and GPU's is between 60-63. Here's the spec of my laptop :

MSI-1656-ID5
15.4" WSXGA+ Glossy (1680x1050)
Intel® Core™ i7-740QM, 1.73-2.93GHz, (45nm, 6MB L3 cache)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5850 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
4,096MB (2 SODIMMS) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory
500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)

The battery last 45 to 60 min which I knew before buying, but I did not know about the temperature. It's causing the fan to be loud most of the time. Is it normal? If so is it possible to decrease the sound?

thanks

Solution
Is that celsius or farenheit? If it's celsius then for a laptop it is a bit high but not that hot. My laptop CPU idles at 45°C and I can't hear a sound except air flowing out of the heatsink (and that's a background noise). Is the fan always running even when your laptop is idle? If yes there might be some dust clogging the heatsink and preventing heat from dissipating from the inside of your laptop, in which case you just need to blow some compressed air into the heatsink and have your CPU work a bit to clean it all up.

Don't know about the graphics card since I've only got an integrated one, but 60-63 idle seems reasonable - a bit high, but reasonable.

I'd go with the dust hypothesis given the information provided.

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Is that celsius or farenheit? If it's celsius then for a laptop it is a bit high but not that hot. My laptop CPU idles at 45°C and I can't hear a sound except air flowing out of the heatsink (and that's a background noise). Is the fan always running even when your laptop is idle? If yes there might be some dust clogging the heatsink and preventing heat from dissipating from the inside of your laptop, in which case you just need to blow some compressed air into the heatsink and have your CPU work a bit to clean it all up.

Don't know about the graphics card since I've only got an integrated one, but 60-63 idle seems reasonable - a bit high, but reasonable.

I'd go with the dust hypothesis given the information provided.

Solution

warren024

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Bacterius is most likely correct that it is a dust issue which a can of compressed air can fix. If you are still having difficulties, you can always purchase a laptop cooler to help with cooling your notebook.

hellite

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for your answers.

Yeah, those were in Celsius so I guess there's not much to do according to you guys. I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks again

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Your laptop CPU can sustain temperatures up to 85 degrees celsius. Above it will slowly melt itself and will automatically shut itself down when it hits 100°C (or 105°C for some processors). So yeah just check for dust, and if there isn't any then I guess it's just your laptop running a bit hot, happens. As long as it's not melting on your desk it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.