IPS Monitors and gaming.

shade3413

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I've read through a lot of information on this subject, most of witch having been penned in the last 4 months. I think I've gathered a fairly good cross section of the industry as a whole as it stands right now and yet I still can't seem to make a decision on a monitor.

I'm looking for a monitor solution that preferably sports both an IPS panel and a low response time/input lag; low enough to handle most forms of gaming and be fairly good for the faster paced FPS offerings out there.

So far I've narrowed it down to the following but remain open to additional suggestions.

ASUS ProArt Series PA246Q
-or-
LG Flatron IPS236V
-or-
Dell UltraSharp U2311H

I've also seen a number of cheap BenQ IPS options but their price makes their specs almost seem too good; don't know if they are to be trusted.

Any advice?

While all three monitors are IPS monitors, the Asus uses a P-IPS while the Dell and LG both use an e-IPS panel.

H-IPS, S-IPS and P-IPS panels are known as "8-bit panels" which means the panel can produce 256 shades of each primary color (Red, Green, Blue) using binary math. That means those panels can truly create 16.7m colors.

e-IPS panels on the other hand are similar to TN panels, they are known as "6-bit panels" which means the panel can only create 64 shades of each primary color using binary math. That results in only 256k actual colors. Using temporal dithering (flashing between two colors very rapidly) up to around 16m colors can be created. This can lead to image artifacts (generally not apparent to most people unless you are specifically looking for it) and color banding issues when colors are gradually shifting from one shade to another (this would be apparent to most people).

e-IPS panel's viewing angles will not be as wide as the IPS panels, but will be better than a TN panel. It's kinda like a give and take because it has e-IPS panel is like a hybrid of IPS and TN panel technology for lack of a better term.

Of the three I would buy the Asus PA246Q because I have two H-IPS panel monitors and standards for purchasing a LCD monitor is rather high.

shade3413

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Thanks :) The Asus does appear to be the best of those panels but also clearly the most expensive. I wonder if there are other non-e-IPS panel options out there with good refresh rates and low input lag.

my old monitor was a vp201b.

s-ips panel @ 1600x1200
listed response time of 16ms.

i used to play fast paced fps games on it all the time without ghosting. response times for other similar 8-bit panels should be lower now then when they were. you don't need a 2-5ms monitor to eliminate ghosting and other such effects.

---

just thought i'd share that so you have something to reference off of. don't be scared if you see 10ms, 12ms, 14ms response times. this does not immediately mean you will have issues. keep in mind that what gets listed as a response time is usually vague, you cannot put much faith in it without knowing the details.

You won't find a good quality IPS monitor for under $400ish. I have an NES 21", a bit older, that was close to $600.

Dell Ultrasharp can be found with good discounts at times. Just read a bunch of monitor reviews from around the web, all the info you need to gather will be there.

louno

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I am considering the LG Flatron IPS236V ... why ?

because its LED, because it light and very thin and has vesa mount holes...

I've heard report of light leakage/bleeding on these panels, but some people say they have no issue...

I need very light monitors because my monitor arm is not able to support big chunky lcd due to the way it is installed, this really annoys me because IPS panels are all big chunky ugly fat monitors... except for that LG one... although it isnt a true ips it still is better than regular TN panels I would assume and therefore its currently the only choice I have... i've been waiting for months now and nothing new has come out ... i wish monitor manufacturer would start mass producing LED ( WITH VESA HOLES ) + IPS ... i dont know ... maybe i should wait... anything new coming up on the horizon ?

@louno

why are you so intent on an led monitor?

you do realize that the led only refers to the backlight used. in current monitors all they have available are edge-lit by led designs and ccfl. in terms of quality difference there really arent any.

yeah i've noticed that ips monitors tend to be rather heavy, but perhaps you should install a better arm (or install it properly) instead of limiting your choices to just the lightweights.

if you know there might be backlight bleed, keep in mind that this could very well happen to you. personally i'm not one to take a risk on a several hundred dollar monitor.

true, even a 6bit e-ips is better than a tn, but if you really want quality you have to go with an 8-bit h-ips, s-ips, etc.

if you look for a good ccfl led 8bit ips with vesa mounts the market should be flooded with them by now. even ccfl 6bit e-ips vesa mount monitors should be common.

in general, are you more worried about size, thickness and weight over actual image quality? if that is the case then sure go with that type of monitor. however, personally image quality is paramount to me so even if it has a 1" thick bezel (my old vp201b does!) that doesnt matter as much.

louno

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
ssdx,
I understand but really, my limitation is mainly the monitor weight. I want the lightest monitors with the best quality possible. I need to purchase 2 monitors since this I am in a dual monitor setup, this is why the weight makes a difference too, if i was only using 1 monitor, my monitor arm could handle any monitor, but with 2 monitors I have to watch the weight... I could go with TN panel but then I would have to get smaller monitors, maybe up to 21 inch max... I would like to get a 22 or 23 inch ideally.

The monitor market isnt moving fast enough ... when will i be able to get that nice LED IPS (8bit) VESA ultrathin monitor ? it is obviously possible... what are they waiting for?

TRENDING THREADS