need help with w2k shutdown

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I try to shutdown it tells me i can power down my pc now it just started doing this. i have an atx system so it should power down on its own

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
You need to check that the ACPI is enable. Go to Control panel and check the power option (I forgot since this probelm occur to me long time ago when Microsoft just released the Win2k) or check the device manager (under system). YOu should be able to see the ACPI. Check whether it is support under your current MoBo. Someone else having this kind of experiences recently may remember how to solve this problem. But don't worry it is normal.

P.S. this problem occur on my laptop only once and I remember it has to do with ACPi or Hibernation. Check both and try reboot and shut down

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Also--some ATX power supplies actually have a hard-switch wire that you connect to the front panel power switch, rather than connecting the power switch to the motherboard. Most (all?) such power supplies cannot be powered off via software. Does yours have this hard-switch connection?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."