G

i'm in the process of doing an upgrade....but i really cant go for the fastest....
i was considering an intel CPU coupled with a CUSL2-C...in the 800 to 1GHZ range...
i read that the best performance\value is for the 800....but i'd like to get a !GHZ...so..
is there a real performance leap over the 800...or should i go for the 800...
PS: i know AMD would save me a [-peep-] load of bucks...but i guess the CUSL's stability is what i'm actually aiming for...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I assume you are speaking of the 800EB with the 133MHz FSB, as opposed to the 800E with the 100MHz FSB. There is a significant difference in benchmarks, but it really depends on the programs you are running as to whether you will notice the difference or not. I suggest the 700E@933. The 700E only cost $97 and will go easily to 933/133. Considering that the CUSL2 is best for overclocking, it is a choice you should seriously consider. You can usually take the 700E to 980@140, where it will perform on par with the 1GHz CPU. I recommend the Thermaltake VolcanoII as a reliable inexpensive cooling solution. You should also consider Cas2 PC-133 memory, I prefer Crucial as a vender. With the CUSL2 you will manually set the memory to 2/2/2, 5/7 in BIOS when you exceed 133FSB.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

so basically u r implying that there's no point of getting a 1GHZ CPU then.....as long as u overclock...
but , u see...i'm totally ignorant about overclocking.....
i wouldn't wanna ruin the chip...but i'd be eager to learn...any idea how can i learn more about this overclocking thing...??
thanks for the reply...

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well there there something called the PowerLeap Neo 2. It should support 0.13 micron p3's for almost any socket370 board.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Set BIOS to 133/133/33, set the voltage to 1.75v, and you've got it at 933. If 980 doesn't work at 1.75v, try 1.80v, or 1.85v. Any of these voltages are safe for the processor as long as you've got good cooling, the VolcanoII gives the most bang for the buck in that area.

koolman_

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
well if you are not into overclocking and want stability than why not go for Intel D815EPEA2 mobo? i have one and its performance is rock solid and is more stable than CUSL2-C.

Never share your secrets with a friend,you never know when he becomes your enemy.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
More stable? That's funny! If your computer never suffers from instability, how can a different one be "more stable"? They are as far as I know both 100% stable, unless you overclock too far or set your memory timing too fast on the CUSL2. But you could always leave it at its slower settings, that's what the Intel does. Asus comes with more features, if you never use them, it will be just as stable as the Intel. If you choose to mess around with them, it may or may not be just as stable, depending on the parts your using. So you can leave them stock, or take a chance and boost them up for increased perfromance. Intel doesn't give you that choice.

As far as overclocking stability, the 700E will run stable at 933 for 98% of processors. If you are unlucky enough to get one that won't, back it down. You can't even try that on the Intel.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Simple "in flight instruction" the signal must be clean.Chipset,driver all cant change the stability and we all run windows so is dont take much to full systeme crash."""""I think i have developpe a 10 sense for crash systeme.""

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lemme putit thisaway: I believe the Asus is a complete knockoff of an Intel OEM design. Meaning that if it uses the same parts and is assembled with the same quality, it should in all ways perform the same. But then Asus adds features to the BIOS that can make it faster. If you choose to use none of these features, it should be as stable and perform the same as the Intel on which it was based. But you can also choose to use those features, to the point which you can figure out which of these add performance without sacrificing stability. It's like having Nitrous Oxide on your car-can't hurt a thing unless you use it!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
My main reason for never touching an Intel-manufactured motherboard is that most (all?) have the Phoenix BIOS. That is one truly crappy BIOS--a true "plug and pray" BIOS if I ever saw one.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

I'd really reconsider the AMD option. If VIA scares you, go for an SIS or AMD based board. Performance for the buck is really superior to any P3, and you have an upgrade path.

You might even consider a low end P4 (is the 1.3 still available ?) that may perform worse than a 1 Ghz P3, but at least you could re-use psu, memory and motherboard and upgrade to 1.7 or 2 Ghz later.

Anyway, if you want to go for P3, at least I'd make sure I'd pick a board that accepts the tualatin. I read a review of a board that could handle both P3 and tualitin recently.. cant remember where though :-(
Buying a CUSL2 would really be a waste of money, regardless how good it is, if it you cant upgrade it later. I would never consider buying a motherboard that couldnt handle at least one or two cpu upgrades (or are will there be slotket-kind of things wll allow a tualitin in a regular socket 370 board ?)

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
it is the next genararion of the p3 it is spose to use the .13 u on it and spose to have a different scocket on it than the current one

G

Go for an overclocked 133FSB chip, a real cheap one for now. Get a dual cpu mobo, even if your only going to buy 1 cpu. Then when the 1GHZ units are just about to fall out of the market, buy 2 of them and overclock them too. It won't be long now since we have had the P4 around awhile now and the recent intro of the Athlon MP units. This way you'll have a great workstation with all the drivers etc. sorted out and a great platform for multi-threaded apps and multi-tasking. Hang on to it as I think in about 12-18 months from now we will be seeing very significant jumps in performance (as compared to grow in speed over the last 3 years). Then maybe you can consider upgrading. If you buy it right, this setup shouldn't cost you much more than getting an 800 or 1000Mhz cpu right now. Also I have an Asus P2B-DS. I also have a MSI 694D-Pro. I can tell you the MSI board was alot easier to setup and alot more stable too. And this was around the time when people were saying the BX board was the most stable ever...blah...blah...blah.

"no kelder....you can't shoot goblins in wordpad"

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not gonna try to debunk anything you said here except for the 1ghz part.
if you buy them I wouldn't count on overclocking, if they had headroom to clock higher Intel would have released it, odds are not in your favor to clock them higher.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.