What are tourists ?

Last response: in Video Games
June 5, 2005 6:39:57 PM

Their spellcasting is linited in extent and proficiency-although charm
monster and identify are two of the most useful spells.
They can only become expert in dagger-and elven daggers seem to be
scarce for tourists. Two-weaponing with sabres at skilled, but
Grayswandir (or Demonbane) only available by wishing.

What do people treat them as-fighters or spell casters ? Or perhaps a
weedy mixture of both.

Counting wands with PYEC rechargability, perhaps they transmute from
cowards in the beginning (take photo and run away) to fighters after
mines/sokoban/quest.

What are people's views ?

Incidentally, my present alter ego, "Totty" a neutral tourist, level 14,
has done the mines, sokoban, and down to Gehennom entrance, and is now
looting Quest level shops. Two-weaponing +7GS and +1 sabre, but aided
massively by a pet Archon resluting from a magic lamp found on starting
level two. With a pet Archon to start with one seems to be almost
invincible barring traps !

tom.

More about : tourists

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:39:58 PM

Tom Goodman wrote:
> Their spellcasting is linited in extent and proficiency-although charm
> monster and identify are two of the most useful spells.
> They can only become expert in dagger-and elven daggers seem to be
> scarce for tourists. Two-weaponing with sabres at skilled, but
> Grayswandir (or Demonbane) only available by wishing.
>
> What do people treat them as-fighters or spell casters ? Or perhaps a
> weedy mixture of both.
>
> Counting wands with PYEC rechargability, perhaps they transmute from
> cowards in the beginning (take photo and run away) to fighters after
> mines/sokoban/quest.
>
> What are people's views ?
>
> Incidentally, my present alter ego, "Totty" a neutral tourist, level 14,
> has done the mines, sokoban, and down to Gehennom entrance, and is now
> looting Quest level shops. Two-weaponing +7GS and +1 sabre, but aided
> massively by a pet Archon resluting from a magic lamp found on starting
> level two. With a pet Archon to start with one seems to be almost
> invincible barring traps !
>
> tom.

Tourists come into their own in the late game. With twoweaponing the
silver sabers as you are they become strong fighters, and yet they still
retain some considerable spellcasting ability. The PYEC makes wands and
rings that much more useful.

I treat tourists as spellcasters in the early game and spellcasters in
the late game. Early on, spellcasters need to be played carefully,
gaining intrinsics and armor. Late game, spellcasters can be played
relatively recklessly; you know you can get out of most situations.
Admittedly with a tourist I'm more likely to fight with weapons rather
than going for a spell if the fight is easily won.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:13:24 AM

Andy Johnson <swervy.aTAKE@this-out.gmail.com> wrote in news:5iKoe.26712
$Wr.10231@fed1read04:

> I treat tourists as spellcasters in the early game and spellcasters in
> the late game.

Heh, tourists on the whole make playing monk feel like playing valkyrie.
June 6, 2005 5:24:43 AM

"Tom Goodman" <tom@elefire.com> wrote in message
news:D 7uvbf$cq1$1@news.freedom2surf.net

> Incidentally, my present alter ego, "Totty" a neutral tourist, level 14,
> has done the mines, sokoban, and down to Gehennom entrance, and is now
> looting Quest level shops. Two-weaponing +7GS and +1 sabre, but aided
> massively by a pet Archon resluting from a magic lamp found on starting
> level two. With a pet Archon to start with one seems to be almost
> invincible barring traps !

I seem to see this somewhat often from experienced players, people
with a pet archon. Is there some other way to get a pet Archon than
polymorphing your pet? You mentioned a wish, I didn't think you
could wish for a particular pet?

Asher

June 6, 2005 5:24:44 AM

David Justiss wrote:
> I seem to see this somewhat often from experienced players, people
> with a pet archon. Is there some other way to get a pet Archon than
> polymorphing your pet? You mentioned a wish, I didn't think you
> could wish for a particular pet?

While you cannot wish for a pet directly, you can wish for an object
that has a good chance of yielding you a pet when it is used. Just in
case you want to figure this one out on your own, here's some ROT13:

N svthevar bs n perngher, jura nccyvrq, jvyy ghea vagb gur perngher. Vs
vg vf oyrffrq, lbh unir n sbhe va svir punapr gung vg jvyy or lbhe crg
nsgre gur genafsbezngvba. Or njner, gubhtu, gung gurer vf n bar va gra
punapr vg jvyy or ubfgvyr, naq na rdhny punapr gung vg jvyy or zreryl
crnprshy.

-Ken
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:41:33 AM

"David Justiss" <dajustis@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Tom Goodman" <tom@elefire.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7uvbf$cq1$1@news.freedom2surf.net
>
>> Incidentally, my present alter ego, "Totty" a neutral tourist, level
>> 14, has done the mines, sokoban, and down to Gehennom entrance, and
>> is now looting Quest level shops. Two-weaponing +7GS and +1 sabre,
>> but aided massively by a pet Archon resluting from a magic lamp found
>> on starting level two. With a pet Archon to start with one seems to
>> be almost invincible barring traps !
>
> I seem to see this somewhat often from experienced players, people
> with a pet archon. Is there some other way to get a pet Archon than
> polymorphing your pet? You mentioned a wish, I didn't think you
> could wish for a particular pet?
>
> Asher

You may wish for an object.
For what do you wish? a blessed figurine of an Archon.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:49:29 PM

Tom Goodman <tom@elefire.com> writes:

[tourists]
> What do people treat them as-fighters or spell casters ? Or perhaps a
> weedy mixture of both.
>
> Counting wands with PYEC rechargability, perhaps they transmute from
> cowards in the beginning (take photo and run away) to fighters after
> mines/sokoban/quest.

They transform into killer characters, charming what they find useful,
slaughtering the rest with twoweaponing, stacking up resources fast
with their charging/id proficiencies, laying waste to entire armies
with their stacks of blessed daggers of doom and laughing at spell
attacks. Oh, and in many cases they get an extra wish because they
need not wish for ?oC. Maybe I'm biased, but I find it hard to get
them killed after the quest.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:28:09 AM

"Tom Goodman" <tom@elefire.com> wrote in message
news:D 7uvbf$cq1$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> Their spellcasting is linited in extent and proficiency-although charm
> monster and identify are two of the most useful spells.
> They can only become expert in dagger-and elven daggers seem to be
> scarce for tourists. Two-weaponing with sabres at skilled, but
> Grayswandir (or Demonbane) only available by wishing.
>
> What do people treat them as-fighters or spell casters ? Or perhaps a
> weedy mixture of both.
>
> Counting wands with PYEC rechargability, perhaps they transmute from
> cowards in the beginning (take photo and run away) to fighters after
> mines/sokoban/quest.
>
> What are people's views ?
>
> Incidentally, my present alter ego, "Totty" a neutral tourist, level 14,
> has done the mines, sokoban, and down to Gehennom entrance, and is now
> looting Quest level shops. Two-weaponing +7GS and +1 sabre, but aided
> massively by a pet Archon resluting from a magic lamp found on starting
> level two. With a pet Archon to start with one seems to be almost
> invincible barring traps !
Well, T's can be one of the hardest roles to start, but they are one of the
easiest to finish.

The lack of a melee weapon at the start is a bit misleading, as they work
quite well as combat wombats. With TW and Sabre/longsword at skilled you
have some serious damage. If you're going wishless, just pester your god
until crowing, then heads will roll. If the minetown watch-captain doesn't
provide a sabre, a cop on the quest may.

The T's quest artifact may be the most powerful one in the game. (locks, MR,
Telepathy and charging!) Wands are MUCH more powerful when you can recharge
one every few hundred turns, just try to keep them un-cursed.

Happy Nethacking
Danny
Ascended all Roles
Best Conducts: Wish/Geno/poly/polyselfless,
Illiterate/atheist/geno/poly/polyselfless
Working on Extinctionist
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:54:15 PM

Tom Goodman wrote:

> Their spellcasting is linited in extent and proficiency-although charm
> monster and identify are two of the most useful spells.

Even Valk benefit from using spells. Spells, use'em.

> They can only become expert in dagger-and elven daggers seem to be
> scarce for tourists.

Elves scarce? The odds of what monsters are created
don't change that I know of. In time elven equipment
is plentiful for every character willing to kill
elves.

> Two-weaponing with sabres at skilled, but
> Grayswandir (or Demonbane) only available by wishing.

(or Werebane) that is. There are enough non-artifact
silver sabers in the game. 50-50 chance from the
watch captain and soldier captains. Two weapon with
a very good long sword and a non-artifact saber works
great.

> What do people treat them as-fighters or spell casters ? Or perhaps a
> weedy mixture of both.

Yup ;^)
!