AMD's Athlon/Duron

Valek_Hawke

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Would like to say Hi to everyone as I am new to Tom's Forums, but I hope to learn a lot. I am going to try my hand at building my first system as per the article I read at Tom's Site, "Do-it-Yourself PC System Part 1", which recommends using an AMD Athlon 800 Mhz processor. The question that I am posed with is that in several of the suppliers catalogs I have looked in, the Athlon and Duron names are used interchangeably and while there is an 800 Mhz listed in both I just wanted to be sure that I got the right processor. Also, it seems like as I read the article I was having some difficulty in discerning the difference between the two. Hope I don't sound too hopelessly computer illiterate, I just want to make sure I am on the right track.

Val

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
The athlon is more of a performance model and the duron is more of a value model. Yea, he meant the athlon. The athlon performs better than the duron. If you are building the exact same machine the athlon is what you will want.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

G

Just don't mention the word "INTEL" or you'll have a flamefest on your hands :)

Athlon is the higher performance chip and a bit pricier than the Duron, which is the lo-cost chip. Either are good choices.

Just make sure that you get a Socket A motherboard, NOT a Slot A. Do the same for the processor, as a Slot a processor will not work for a Socket A board.

If you want to be more current (spend more money), then consider getting a 266 MHz Front Side Bus and/or DDR Memory -- MOTHERBOARD AND PROCESSOR!!! If you get a motherboard that does not support 266, then DO NOT GET A 266 FSB PROCESSOR. If you also want DDR memory (for a SLIGHT performance increase), get a motherboard with the "AMD 760" chipset(as they are by far the best).

BTW: A GREAT place to find good prices on any computer components is www.pricewatch.com.

Valek_Hawke

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Haven't Built it yet. Got the processor a few days ago and am witing on the Mobo...which I may send back if what I read at HotHardware.com is true. It appears that in an effort to appease AMD, ASUS has started removing the set of six dip switches used to change the multiplier/clock speed on their A7V boards. If this is the case when I get mine then back it goes and I'll have to find another overclocker's board. Any suggestions just in case?

Val

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It appears that in an effort to appease AMD, ASUS has started removing the set of six dip switches used to change the multiplier/clock speed on their A7V boards.
My understanding is that was a long time ago when Asus A7V first came out (6/2000), and only 1 model of A7V (Audio on-board) lacks of Multiplier Dipswitch.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Sorry i cant help ya on the A7V mobos, I have an A7M and it has the switches. Just remember when you build your pc, do it on a hardwood floor ( no carpeting ) and make sure that you touch the pc case to discharge any static electricity that may have built up on you. ( I use a grounding wrist strap, makes me feel a whole lot better..get these at comp-usa )Also, get a good cooler for the cpu, I have a swiftech cooler and keeps the cpu temp around 38c idle and 43c FULL LOAD....fans help as well, get some extra if your case does not come with them. Try to get a case that has at least 300watt power suply and GOOD LUCK!!! Let me know how it goes when u are done!
Here is the system that I just built:

Antec 300watt case
1.33 GHz AMD 266 FSB AYHJA core
ASUS A7M mobo
256 MB pc 2100 memory
GeForce2 32 MB vid card
Creative 512 sound card
16x / 48x Toshiba DVD Rom drive
32x 12x 8x CD/r/rw external ieee cd rw drive
optical mouse

Valek_Hawke

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Sure Hope you are right. I went back and re-read the post again and something i failed to notice the first time was that it was made in July of 2000, so hopefully when I get my mobo it will have the switches. Also, in correction, the Article was at Overclockers.com.

Val

Valek_Hawke

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Well, once I get the system built here is what I'll be looking at...

Asus A7V Motherboard
AMD Athlon 800 @ 1Ghz
Swiftech MC462 HSF
768MB PC133 RAM
Voodoo3 3000 Video
Creative SB Live X-Gamer
Optical Mouse (Haven't Found anything better yet)
GenX GXT912 Server Case - 120mm Rear Fan; 92mm Front Fan, Sparkle 300W power supply
Haven't Decided yet about CDROM drive
Have an older Iomega ZipCD650 USB and I doubt I'll upgrade that until it goes hooves up.

Val

G

"AMD Athlon 800 @ 1Ghz"

Hmmm.. if this is your first PC your gonna build yourself.. make sure it runs stable at 800 b4 trying any overclocking. Also, whats the price difference between a 800 and 1 Ghz ? Close to nothing I suspect. A 1 Ghz AXIA can be taken to 1.3-1.4 with some luck.

Voodoo3 3000 Video

I suppose you're not a true gamer ? If you are, ditch the voodoo and get an Geforce MX/ Kyro II / Radeon instead.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip