YAAP - Wosret-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha

I've finally managed to ascend for the second time. Here is the ending
info:

4
---------
|.......|5
|...@P..| ----
|..w@..%| ...
4|...ww..| --------- --..-
| |....%..| | - -- --...| |
|. ----|---- .| ---....| ....|
|..5..........| *%% ......-..._...|
---...4@....--- $( ) ---....| ....|
-----)----- - / /%-- --...| |
---_---- --..-
5 $ -------%_)| ...
$ | [)% | ----
- %$ -- -------
-- ) -- %|
- ----|---- ---
| ) ))%) [)%|
-----------------

(moved screenshot 10 columns left to avoid mangling by Google Groups)

Wosret the Necromancer St:18 Dx:23 Co:16 In:24 Wi:24 Ch:15 Chaotic
Astral Plane $:0 HP:235(236) Pw:96(379) AC:-47 Xp:23/33185220 T:67095

Your inventory
Amulets
M - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
a - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
C - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
Weapons
e - the blessed rustproof +7 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
w - the blessed rustproof +1 Magicbane (alternate weapon; not
wielded)
Armor
Q - a blessed fireproof +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
T - a blessed rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn)
Y - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being
worn)
E - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
R - a blessed fireproof +5 robe (being worn)
W - a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
U - a blessed fireproof +4 small shield (being worn)
Comestibles
l - an uncursed C-ration
N - an uncursed lizard corpse
Rings
A - an uncursed ring of conflict
b - an uncursed ring of free action
B - an uncursed ring of levitation
d - a blessed +2 ring of protection (on right hand)
I - an uncursed ring of regeneration
Wands
j - a wand of cold (0:5)
S - a wand of death (0:0)
v - a wand of death (0:7)
f - a wand of death (0:0)
O - a wand of digging (0:8)
L - a wand of digging (0:0)
J - a wand of digging (0:3)
X - a wand of fire (0:3)
P - a wand of fire (0:0)
g - a wand of fire (1:1)
D - a wand of magic missile (0:5)
m - a wand of teleportation (0:0)
z - a wand of teleportation (1:9)
// the result of polypiling a wand w/ 12 charges
Tools
x - a blessed bag of holding named loot
Z - the Bell of Opening (0:0)
V - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
p - a blessed magic lamp (lit)
i - a blessed magic whistle
o - an uncursed mirror
u - a blessed sack
k - an uncursed skeleton key
r - an uncursed stethoscope
t - a blessed towel
s - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
Gems
y - a blessed luckstone

Contents of the sack:
2 potions of holy water
a blessed +0 unicorn horn

Contents of the bag of holding named loot:
an uncursed amulet of life saving
an uncursed amulet of life saving // never had to use any :)
an uncursed amulet of life saving
a cursed -1 helm of opposite alignment // just in case...
6 uncursed K-rations
an uncursed lizard corpse
a blessed scroll of charging
3 cursed scrolls of genocide
an uncursed scroll of genocide
2 cursed scrolls of teleportation
15 blessed diluted potions of full healing
a blessed potion of full healing
5 potions of holy water
3 uncursed potions of paralysis
2 uncursed potions of sleeping
backup rings
extra wands
a wand of wishing (1:1)
a blessed +0 unicorn horn
211 gems

Final attributes
You were piously aligned
Your alignment was 345
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were disintegration-resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were telepathic
You were warned
You had infravision
You were invisible to others
You were stealthy
You could teleport
You had teleport control
You were protected
You were very fast
You had reflection
Your life would have been saved
You were extremely lucky (13)
You had extra luck
Good luck did not time out for you
Anhur was angry with you
// accidentally displaced a pet into lava on the plane of fire
You survived

Vanquished creatures
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (4 times)
// he only appeared once while I was leaving Gehennom
Pestilence (5 times)
Famine (twice)
Medusa
Croesus

2914 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
All 'a'
All 'L'
All 'S'
All ';'
soldiers (extinct)
erinyes (extinct)
22 species genocided.
2 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 22 types of monsters
You polymorphed 593 items
You never changed form
You used 6 wishes
// 4 blessed magic markers, 1 cursed magic marker, Frost Brand

Goodbye Wosret the Demigod...
You and the green slime // used to be a purple worm but it ate a slime
and the purple worm and the purple worm and the purple worm
went to your reward with 4279663 points,
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
22 emeralds (worth 55000 zorkmids),
19 agate stones (worth 3800 zorkmids),
18 diamonds (worth 72000 zorkmids),
17 obsidian stones (worth 3400 zorkmids),
15 amethyst stones (worth 9000 zorkmids),
13 topaz stones (worth 11700 zorkmids),
12 rubies (worth 42000 zorkmids),
11 chrysoberyl stones (worth 7700 zorkmids),
10 jet stones (worth 8500 zorkmids),
9 citrine stones (worth 13500 zorkmids),
9 amber stones (worth 9000 zorkmids),
9 opals (worth 7200 zorkmids),
9 garnet stones (worth 6300 zorkmids),
8 jasper stones (worth 4000 zorkmids),
8 fluorite stones (worth 3200 zorkmids),
5 sapphires (worth 15000 zorkmids),
4 black opals (worth 10000 zorkmids),
4 jade stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
3 jacinth stones (worth 9750 zorkmids),
2 dilithium crystals (worth 9000 zorkmids),
2 turquoise stones (worth 4000 zorkmids),
2 aquamarine stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
4 amulets of life saving (worth 600 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 67095 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 23 with a maximum of 236 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name
1 6232706 Wosret-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha ascended to demigod-hood.
> 2 4279663 Wosret-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha ascended to demigod-hood.
3 660039 Wosret-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha died in Gehennom on level 29.
Killed by a minotaur, while helpless {52250}.

I had some good luck near the beginning of the game. There was an
armor store on DL 2 that had studded leather, gloves, and +1 boots of
jumping. Then, on DL 3, I found a neutral altar that I converted. I
tried to get Magicbane, but gave up and returned later. The stairs to
the Mines were on DL 4, and the Oracle was on DL 6. After I found the
Oracle, I went back to the altar and sacrificed until I got Magicbane.

After I got Magicbane, I went back down and started on Sokoban. On
the second floor, I was in the back hallway when 3 or 4 winter wolf
cubs came around the corner. I managed to kill them but I had less
than 10 HP left when I did. I could have easily avoided this, but
there were a few things I forgot about. Near the stairs on the same
level, I found a bag of some type on the ground. I wasn't sure what
type it was, so I just left it and kept going. On the top level, I
got the bag of holding, and on the way back down, I found that the bag
from level 2 was also a BoH.

Once I had the bag from Sokoban, I went back up and then down into the
mines. There was another BoH on DL 7, and minetown was just below
that, on DL 8. The temple wasn't coaligned, so I just looked through
the shops for anything useful. Since I had no light source yet, I
decidedto buy some candles from Izchak's for the rest of the mines.
I used them until i got to Mine's End, where I found a magic lamp.

After I had everything useful from the mines, I went back to the main
dungeon to explore the areas past Sokoban. On DL 11, I found a
neutral temple, and the Quest portal was on DL 13. Unfortunately, I
was only XL 12, so I kept going. There was a leprechaun hall one
level below, and I used the money to buy protection, which lowered my
AC to 1. Then, I went back to the altar on DL 3 to make some holy
water. I used it to bless my BoH, unicorn horn, and 2 magic lamps.
Then, I used one of the lamps to wish for a blessd magic marker so I
could write +oID and +oMM. I used the spell to ID everything and
found that I had a helm of brilliance and a ring of teleport control.
The ring was very useful because I had gotten teleportitis from a
nymph in Sokoban and had been getting teleported randomly for a while.

Nothing interesting happened until DL 21, except finding a hardware
store with a key and a magic whistle on DL 19. Then, on DL 21, my
telepathy detected a very large throne room with about 30 monsters
inside, including a black dragon. I decided to go lock the door so
they wouldn't start running around the level, but when I tried...
"KABOOM! The door was booby-trapped!" and all the monsters woke up.
I engraved Elbereth and dropped gold on 2 squares in the hallway, but
it got eroded, so I ran back upstairs.

I decided to buy some protection (got my AC to -4) and do the Quest
before I tried to get rid of that black dragon. I got to XL 14 thanks
to a "dishwasher" on DL 9, then went back to the portal on DL 13.
The Quest was pretty easy, and I got poison resistance and teleport
control from some tengus there. The nemesis was pretty easy to kill,
but I ended up chasing him upstairs several times before I remembered
to teleport to the stairs. After I did that, I was able to kill him
quickly. I took the artifacts and headed back to the main dungeon.

After the quest, I came up with an idea for killing the black dragon
on DL 21 with little risk of disintegration. There was a small
undisturbed throne room on DL 18 that also contained a black dragon.
I used a confused ?oTaming from outside the door to tame everything
inside. Then, I took the dragon with me down to DL 21 and used a
=oConflict to make the two black dragons fight. While the hostile one
was busy, I attacked it with magic missiles until it died. Then, I let
the tame dragon protect me while I ate the corpse so it wouldn't rot.
During that time, my pet killed about half the monsters. I killed
the rest of them and took the black dragon scales, which I used until
the castle.

On DL 22, I found Medusa, and killed her with a mirror. The Castle
was on DL 25, but a master lich showed up soon after I got there, so I
ran upstairs to rest before killing it. Then, in the back passageway,
one of the dragons was silver, and it dropped scales when I killed it.
After that, I found the wand. It came with 3 charges, but I already
had everything I needed for my ascension kit, so I saved them for
later. I went to the Valley of the Dead so it would appear on the
Eye's teleport menu, then used the Eye to go to Sokoban. I left
Sokoban then went up to DL 3 to collect my old stash. I used the Eye
to get back to the castle, then started writing some scrolls with my
old magic marker. I wrote some charging and enchant armor, then
wished for a cursed magic marker to write cursed destroy armor. I
used cursed confused destroy armor to fireproof all my armor, then
went back to DL 11 for some more protection before entering Gehennom.

On DL 28, I fell down three levels through a trap door. I found the
stairs and went up. A few steps from the stairs... "Juiblex engulfs
you!" Fortunately, I already had my wand of digging out, so I killed
him quickly and used my unicorn horn to cure myself. After that, I
went to the stairs and ended up right next to Asmodeus. I only had
about 200 gold out, so the bribe was pretty cheap. On DL 34 I found
the stairs to Vlad's, then killed him and took the candelabrum. I
used the Eye to get back to the Castle, where I stashed all the extra
stuff I had collected and bought some protection before continuing.

I started going down through Gehennom again, and on DL 44 I found the
first fake wizard's tower. It had the portal, so I went through to
clear out the real tower. However, there were 4 liches just on the
bottom floor, so I went back to the castle and wrote some genocide
scrolls. After I had genocided all 'L' and ';' I went back down and
finished clearing out the tower, then went down until I found the
Vibrating Square. I marked the square and teleported back to the
Castle. There, I started to polypile some stuff and ended up with 2
"oLS, some good gems, and a book of finger of death. I also ended up
with detect treasure, which I used to find vaults, including the one
with the portal to Ludios.

After I cleared out Ludios, I decided to use all my money to buy
protection from the priest on DL 11, then kill him and make some
unholy water on his altar. After I teleported back to the Castle, I
noticed that my AC was much higher than it should have been;
apparently, killing the priest lost me all my protection. I went to
the priest in the Valley to get most of it back, then enchanted all my
armor to +4 or +5. This brought my AC to -45.

Once all my armor was enchanted, I decided that I should probably have
more than 94 HP for the ascension run. I wrote a c?oGeno and
teleported to Sokoban. I reverse-genocided nurses, and in less than
600 turns, I had more than doubled my HP. Afterwards, I went to DL 3
to try sacrificing for a decent artifact weapon, but I only got two
useless ones. However, praying did boost my HP by 15 or 20 points,
putting it a bit over 200.

I decided that I should head back to the Castle and get everything set
up for the ascension run. I wrote some blessed and cursed genocide
scrolls and did some alchemy for some blessed ?oFH. I also decided to
try wishing for Frost Brand, and ended up getting it on the first try.

Once everything was ready, I used a few c?oTele to go straight to the
portal to the tower, then from the tower to the Vibrating Square. The
sanctum was not too difficult, and I found another "oLS in one of the
chests in the graveyard. Then, I used my magic whistle to get my pet
purple worm, black dragon, and white dragon into the left area without
even opening the door. They killed most of the stuff there, and I got
the rest with finger of death. I put all my flammable stuff into the
bag, then searched for the door to the temple. I smashed it, then
killed the priest with finger of death and took the amulet.

The way out of Gehennom wasn't very difficult, and the mysterious
force didn't bother me too much. The Wizard only showed up one time
between the Sanctum and the Planes. At the Castle, I grabbed my wands
of death (I had forgotten them) and kept going. I finally made it to
DL 1, and was ready for the Planes.

On the Plane of Earth, I killed the wizard and the minotaur and
grabbed the extra wand of digging. I used my wands to dig around most
of the elementals, but I did have to kill the Wizard when he showed up
a second time. Confused gold detection had shown the portal to be in
the farthest cavern from the entrance, but I made it there without too
much trouble. For some reason, my pets wouldn't go through the
portal, so I had to leave my black and white dragons and woodchuck
(large cat + doppelganger corpse). I made it to the Plane of Air and
somehow managed to avoid the elementals and vortices. For some
reason, my pets would now activate the portal when they stepped on it.
I sent my large cat and purple worm through, then followed them to the
Plane of Fire. Here, I used confused ?oGD to find the fire traps, and
just ran around them. However, when I got to the portal and summoned
my pets, the purple worm wouldn't move off the portal or activate it,
so I tried to displace it to the side. I ended up pushing it into
lava, which is why Anhur was angry at the end of the game. I did
manage to take my large cat with me to the Plane of Water, but it was
soon killed by 2 cobras. Cursed ?oGD let me see the portal, and I
just waited and killed elementals until it appeared. I jumped through
and appeared on the Astral Plane.

As soon as I arrived, I used telepathy and found Death to the left,
Famine in the middle, and Pestilence to the right. Also, Famine had
unlocked and opened his door and monsters were starting to come out.
I ran over and used confused create monster to try to block the door,
but the blobs kept moving. I used two more scrolls and ran over to
the right. Since I had a short break, I decided to blessed-genocide
'a' and 'S' to block summon insects/sticks to snakes. Then, I
reverse-genocided and tamed 6 purple worms, opened the door, and stood
to the side helping kill whatever was in the doorway. I took care of
most of the monsters in the round room, then moved on to the temple
courtyard. Before I even got all the way into the courtyard, I got
Ptah!" Since I now knew that this was the wrong temple, I ran back
out and blocked the way with an acid blob between 2 burned Elbereths.
I headed to the middle room because I didn't want to fight Death, and
started zapping everything with my /oTele. I finally had a clear path
to the altar, and found it was chaotic!

(About the high priest and his cursed !oInvis: Is this a bug?
Wizard-mode testing shows that the alignment of a high temple can
normally only be determined by actually standing on the altar.)

If you would like to see the full output from the dump patch or the
in-game log I kept, I have uploaded them to:
http://stuartp.commixus.com/nethack/

Please post any questions, comments, or advice you have here.

- Stuart

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Stuart P wrote:
> I've finally managed to ascend for the second time.

Congrats!

> wished for a cursed magic marker to write cursed destroy armor. I
> used cursed confused destroy armor to fireproof all my armor

I assume you know that confused (non-cursed) enchant armor fixes and
foo-proofs armor. Why use cursed confused destroy armor? Does it
take fewer marker charges to write? I'd be paranoid that I'd read
it while not confused.

Also, I always wish for uncursed markers and just bless/curse big
stacks of blank paper so I can write all b/u/c scrolls with the
same marker.

> After I cleared out Ludios, I decided to use all my money to buy
> protection from the priest on DL 11, then kill him and make some
> unholy water on his altar. After I teleported back to the Castle, I
> noticed that my AC was much higher than it should have been;
> apparently, killing the priest lost me all my protection.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was making the unholy water that
lost your protection. Your god doesn't much like you praying on
another god's altar.

> For some reason, my pets wouldn't go through the
> portal, so I had to leave my black and white dragons and woodchuck
> (large cat + doppelganger corpse).

I think they just avoid it sometimes, like you avoid a trap. Keep
whistling, and they'll go through eventually. Or if you go through
while they're adjacent to the portal, they'll follow unless they're
eating.

> Since I had a short break, I decided to blessed-genocide
> 'a' and 'S' to block summon insects/sticks to snakes.

I've always found they make a nice buffer between you and the real
nasties on the level.

> Then, I
> reverse-genocided and tamed 6 purple worms, opened the door, and stood
> to the side helping kill whatever was in the doorway.

Though I suppose with this group around you, you don't need an
insect buffer!

> Before I even got all the way into the courtyard, I got
> Ptah!"
>
> (About the high priest and his cursed !oInvis: Is this a bug?
> Wizard-mode testing shows that the alignment of a high temple can
> normally only be determined by actually standing on the altar.)

I may be wrong, but I think the temples can have several priests of
different alignments in them, so that could well have been your
altar.

Anyway, nice going on #2!

T-Bone wrote:

> I assume you know that confused (non-cursed) enchant armor fixes and
> foo-proofs armor. Why use cursed confused destroy armor? Does it
> take fewer marker charges to write? I'd be paranoid that I'd read
> it while not confused.

It does take fewer marker charges (MRKR is 10 rather than 16). If you
already have ?oDA it also conserves your ?oEA.

> Also, I always wish for uncursed markers and just bless/curse big
> stacks of blank paper so I can write all b/u/c scrolls with the
> same marker.

So do I, although I rarely write cursed scrolls. I don't do much if any
reverse-genociding, and ?oTeleport are plentiful. Are there other useful
cursed scrolls besides those and destroy armor?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> T-Bone wrote:
>
> > I assume you know that confused (non-cursed) enchant armor fixes and
> > foo-proofs armor. Why use cursed confused destroy armor? Does it
> > take fewer marker charges to write? I'd be paranoid that I'd read
> > it while not confused.
>
> It does take fewer marker charges (MRKR is 10 rather than 16). If you
> already have ?oDA it also conserves your ?oEA.

When I did a wishless game, I used the ?oDA's I'd found for armor that
wasn't damaged, but it never occurred to me to write them to conserve
charges. I'll have to make a note of that!

> > Also, I always wish for uncursed markers and just bless/curse big
> > stacks of blank paper so I can write all b/u/c scrolls with the
> > same marker.
>
> So do I, although I rarely write cursed scrolls. I don't do much if any
> reverse-genociding, and ?oTeleport are plentiful. Are there other useful
> cursed scrolls besides those and destroy armor?

I don't reverse genocide much either. But if you only want to write
1 or 2 cursed scrolls, that's all the more reason to just use an
uncursed marker and cursed scroll.

I've written cursed enchant armor before when I was being anal about
getting as much equipment as possible to +5 or +7, but I haven't
bothered with that last point in a while. Otherwise, I can't think
of any I've written or would want to write offhand.

Kamen wrote:

> The best way IMHO is to write a normal uncursed scroll and then curse it
> with unholy water. If you know how to make unholy water without losing
> your protection, all the better. Hint: oyrffrq pbashfrq erzbir phefr

You could also make it work with haphefrq fpebyyf bs erzbir phefr, ohg gura
lbh pbhyq bayl unir gjb fgnpxf bs jngre naq lbhe punaprf jbhyq or erqhprq.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

"T-Bone" <g56789@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> T-Bone wrote:

[snip]
>> > Also, I always wish for uncursed markers and just bless/curse big
>> > stacks of blank paper so I can write all b/u/c scrolls with the
>> > same marker.
>>
>> So do I, although I rarely write cursed scrolls. I don't do much if
>> any reverse-genociding, and ?oTeleport are plentiful. Are there
>> other useful cursed scrolls besides those and destroy armor?
>
> I don't reverse genocide much either. But if you only want to write
> 1 or 2 cursed scrolls, that's all the more reason to just use an
> uncursed marker and cursed scroll.
>
> I've written cursed enchant armor before when I was being anal about
> getting as much equipment as possible to +5 or +7, but I haven't
> bothered with that last point in a while. Otherwise, I can't think
> of any I've written or would want to write offhand.

The best way IMHO is to write a normal uncursed scroll and then curse it
with unholy water. If you know how to make unholy water without losing
your protection, all the better. Hint: oyrffrq pbashfrq erzbir phefr

I normally wish for a blessed marker and write on uncursed scrolls. This
way it takes more unholy water to curse stuff, but then I rarely need
to.

--
Kamen K.

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in

> Kamen wrote:
>
>> The best way IMHO is to write a normal uncursed scroll and then
>> curse it with unholy water. If you know how to make unholy water
>> without losing your protection, all the better. Hint: oyrffrq
>> pbashfrq erzbir phefr
>
> You could also make it work with haphefrq fpebyyf bs erzbir phefr,
> ohg gura lbh pbhyq bayl unir gjb fgnpxf bs jngre naq lbhe punaprf
> jbhyq or erqhprq.

Yes, I usually znxr sbhe be zber fgnpxf.

--
Kamen K.