ASCII-NH on a Zaurus?

Hi!

I'm trying to play NetHack on my Zaurus SL-5500 PDA, which in principle
is possible with the qt-version. The problem is, I hate Qt-NetHack. I'd
really like to play in ASCII. Now I could just try to cross-compile a
standard console-NetHack, but there is the problem with the screen size.
On the SL-5500, when you use the built-in keyboard, the screen is in
'portrait'-mode, while NetHack is pretty much a 'landscape' program. The
Qt-Interface offers horizontal scrolling of course, which is a bit
clumsy but probably unavoidable. I guess there are three possible
solutions to my problem:

* Some kind of 'ASCII-tileset' for Qt. Is that possible?
* A patched version of console-NH to fit the screen (probably
ugly)
* A console-application that allows horizontal scrolling and
works nicely with NH.

So far I haven't achieved any progress in solving this. The by far
preferred solution would be number one for me, since the interface of
the Qt-Version is very convenient on a PDA. Does anyone have any related
experience or advise?

thanks,
Ohle

--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

    Ohle Claussen wrote:
    > I'm trying to play NetHack on my Zaurus SL-5500 PDA, which in principle
    > is possible with the qt-version. The problem is, I hate Qt-NetHack. I'd
    > really like to play in ASCII.

    Just go into the options and set "ascii-map" to True.

    Ohle Claussen wrote:
    > On 2005-06-07, micromoog wrote:
    > > Ohle Claussen wrote:
    > >> I'm trying to play NetHack on my Zaurus SL-5500 PDA, which in principle
    > >> is possible with the qt-version. The problem is, I hate Qt-NetHack. I'd
    > >> really like to play in ASCII.
    > >
    > > Just go into the options and set "ascii-map" to True.
    > >
    > How the **** could I miss that? Now I feel stupid.
    >
    > Sorry for asking. I *did* look for such an option, I was just blind.

    Understandable, since it's a non-standard option.

    Do you like playing on the Zaurus? I tried it a few times, but two
    things bother me so much that it's not really fun:

    - you can't see the entire map at once
    - playing with the stylus is just too slow (I normally play with the
    hjkl keys on a PC, and just fly through levels)

    On 2005-06-07, micromoog wrote:
    > Ohle Claussen wrote:
    >> I'm trying to play NetHack on my Zaurus SL-5500 PDA, which in principle
    >> is possible with the qt-version. The problem is, I hate Qt-NetHack. I'd
    >> really like to play in ASCII.
    >
    > Just go into the options and set "ascii-map" to True.

    How the **** could I miss that? Now I feel stupid.

    Sorry for asking. I *did* look for such an option, I was just blind.

    --
    Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
    http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251
    BOFH Excuse #409:
    The vulcan-death-grip ping has been applied.

    micromoog wrote:

    <snip>
    > - playing with the stylus is just too slow (I normally play with the
    > hjkl keys on a PC, and just fly through levels)

    I've been playing on my XDA PocketPC recently, and I've found that the
    incredable slowness of playing with a stylus helps my game. It means I
    don't rush through the levels, and I pay more attention to things...

    Unfortunatly the fact that I'm not very good at typing with the stylus
    (Had the phone 2 weeks) means that I keep getting killed by typo (Mostly
    by pressing 5 then an arrow instead of just the arrow...)
    --
    Graham

    > [Nethack on the Zaurus PDA] . . . What bothers me
    > the most at the moment is that I have to tap a button to see my
    > hitpoints. Very dangerous, that.

    Yes, that's another big one. Also you don't see your status on the
    main screen, so it's easy to faint from hunger accidentally, etc.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 2005-06-07, micromoog wrote:

    > Do you like playing on the Zaurus? I tried it a few times, but two
    > things bother me so much that it's not really fun:
    >
    > - you can't see the entire map at once
    > - playing with the stylus is just too slow (I normally play with the
    > hjkl keys on a PC, and just fly through levels)

    I still have to get used to it, too. Not seeing the entire map is a bit
    annoying, but I guess it's unavoidable on a mobile device. At the moment
    I play with the vi keys on the Zaurus (number pad off). This means that
    I'll have to access some commands over the menu, though. What bothers me
    the most at the moment is that I have to tap a button to see my
    hitpoints. Very dangerous, that.

    greetings
    Ohle
    --
    Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
    http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251
    BOFH Excuse #29:
    It works the way the Wang did, what's the problem
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > > I keep getting killed by typo
    > or "tappo"

    Haha, nice :-)
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 06:44:36 -0700, micromoog wrote:

    >> [Nethack on the Zaurus PDA] . . . What bothers me the most at the moment
    >> is that I have to tap a button to see my hitpoints. Very dangerous,
    >> that.
    >
    > Yes, that's another big one. Also you don't see your status on the main
    > screen, so it's easy to faint from hunger accidentally, etc.

    This is the key one that had me dying early and often (especially since I
    was either paying monks or too used to not eating because I played nothing
    but monks my first two months of nethacking). Hunger is utterly invisible
    in Zaurus nethack, and must be checked on the states screen. IMHO, I think
    the icon for the eat button in all versions of qt-nethack should change
    when satiated or hungry/weak, even if this is a redundancy.

    Hit points can be easily gaged, though imprecisely, by paying attention to
    the highlight box that surrounds your character. As hit points drop, the
    box goes from white to yellow to orange to red to purple (foo is about to
    die). This not only is true in the ascii map, but it's easier to see the
    distinction between yellow and orange than on the graphical tiles.

    --
    "We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
    of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:50:25 +0000, Graham Cox wrote:

    > I've been playing on my XDA PocketPC recently, and I've found that the
    > incredable slowness of playing with a stylus helps my game. It means I
    > don't rush through the levels, and I pay more attention to things...

    Unless your viewing angle doesn't match your calibration, and suddenly you
    find yourself running over a third of the map when all you meant was to
    use the scroll bars. ;)

    > Unfortunatly the fact that I'm not very good at typing with the stylus
    > (Had the phone 2 weeks) means that I keep getting killed by typo (Mostly

    or "tappo"

    --
    "We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
    of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting
    ourselves without violating the principles of Christian decency."
    Milton S. Eisenhower, "Japanese Relocation" (1943 propaganda film)
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Yashichi wrote:
    > Unless your viewing angle doesn't match your calibration, and suddenly you
    > find yourself running over a third of the map when all you meant was to
    > use the scroll bars. ;)

    Well - not one that's happened to me yet, but now that you've mentioned
    it I'm sure it's going to... :)
    --
    Graham

Video Games