Vulture's Eye and Vulture's Claw

Hi, all

Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com

Vulture's Eye is a further development of Falcon's Eye, Vulture's Claw
is the same interface, but uses Slash'EM instead of Nethack.Both use the
most current versions of Nethack and Slash'EM. Only the interface has
changed to the 3D isometric one of Falcon's Eye.

If you have any questions, visit the forum and we'll help.

Have fun!

'Frank Rademakers wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
> Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com

Really cool, thanks for the heads up!

- John H.

John H. schreef:
> 'Frank Rademakers wrote:
>
>>Hi, all
>>
>>Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
>>Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com
>

> Really cool, thanks for the heads up!
>
> - John H.

Thanks!

There were still some annoying graphical bugs with the first version of
Vulture's Claw, things like giant ants appearing on dark parts of rooms,
and I just uploaded a new package that fixes that. So you might want to
download the new version.

At the moment there are 2 (very) minor bugs left on the list:

1. The splash screens aren't showing in the Windows versions.

2. In Vulture's Claw, the floor graphics beneath objects show the
graphic for "a dark part of the room" until you pick them up. This has
to do with the display layers used by Slash'EM. This is only annoying
when you want to kick chests and boxes.

Both aren't very serious bugs, and should be fixed soon.

> > 'Frank Rademakers wrote:
> >
> >>Hi, all
> >>
> >>Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
> >>Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com

I have a complaint. My wife saw me playing with this new interface
(which is great) and has decided to start playing as well, so now I
can't get on to the computer :p

Darth.

Great!

Looks like an MMORPG, but it doesn't play like one...

With a few tweaks, though, not affecting gameplay, it could be great...

Oh, I think you should be able to see what you are wearing from the
'main screen'...

And what bugs me is the popup windows. I want to be able to right-click
a box and click 'loot' or something like that, and then you would be
shown both what's in the box and what's in your main inventory, so you
could drag things back and forth...

And animations! I want to *see* the guy open his knapsack and look
inside...

And like I said, I should be able to open the inventory window and
right-click some food and select 'eat.'

ihope schreef:
> Oh, I think you should be able to see what you are wearing from the
> 'main screen'...
>
> And what bugs me is the popup windows. I want to be able to right-click
> a box and click 'loot' or something like that, and then you would be
> shown both what's in the box and what's in your main inventory, so you
> could drag things back and forth...
>
> And animations! I want to *see* the guy open his knapsack and look
> inside...
>
> And like I said, I should be able to open the inventory window and
> right-click some food and select 'eat.'

We are planning to improve a lot of things in the interface, at the
moment it is still mostly how it works in Nethack and Slash'EM. And use
fully transparent 24-bit graphics.

I don't think we are going to do real animations. That would be an
awesome amount of work. But we might do things like showing the weapon
you're holding, a visual health and mana bar, unique graphics for all
the artifacts, and Clive just made all peaceful creatures a bit brighter
already.

Sound is coming in the next release as well, and the incorrect floor
tiles beneath objects are fixed.

I'll post an update when the next version is ready in a few days, in the
mean time we would like it very much if anyone who has ideas for
improvements would post them in the forum at http://www.diguru.com

And if anyone wants to help with the development, send me ( frank @
diguru.com ), or Clive ( clive @ darkarts.co.za ) a mail.

I guess is http://trolls.troll.no/warwick/nethack/screen.gif

--
Pasi Kallinen
paxed@alt.org

Michael Lehotay schreef:
> 'Frank Rademakers wrote:
>
>>Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
>>Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com
>

> Heh, that rogue screenshoot is actually from rogue clone IV:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=83592&ssid=2198
>
> And the NetHack screenshot looks familiar too. Anybody know where that
> one came from?
>
> -ML

It's a piece from a Qt screenshot, from
http://trolls.troll.no/warwick/nethack/

;-)

'Frank Rademakers schreef:
> Hi, all
>
> Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
> Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com
>
> Vulture's Eye is a further development of Falcon's Eye, Vulture's Claw
> is the same interface, but uses Slash'EM instead of Nethack.Both use the
> most current versions of Nethack and Slash'EM. Only the interface has
> changed to the 3D isometric one of Falcon's Eye.
>
> If you have any questions, visit the forum and we'll help.
>
> Have fun!

We just uploaded new versions for Windows, as well as for Linux/Unix.

All bugs are fixed, the sound works, it is completely functional and
stable now, as far as we know.

Enjoy!

>We just uploaded new versions for Windows, as well as for Linux/Unix.

excellent..
but please, please, provide a zip file for the win32 binaries,
rather than this installer (gksetup).
i'm on a low-end system (<64mb), and this 20mb-installer eats LOTS of memory
and disk space/crashes here. also i think, people who can handle nethack
can also handle zip files ;)

thankx,
b.wilke

bli97jdwNONOSPAM@studserv.uni-leipzig.de schreef:

>>We just uploaded new versions for Windows, as well as for Linux/Unix.
>

> excellent..
> but please, please, provide a zip file for the win32 binaries,
> rather than this installer (gksetup).
> i'm on a low-end system (<64mb), and this 20mb-installer eats LOTS of memory
> and disk space/crashes here. also i think, people who can handle nethack
> can also handle zip files ;)
>
> thankx,
> b.wilke

A zip file is only 500 KB smaller, I don't think that would solve your
problem. But I could make separate versions without sound, those would
only be ~7 MB each. Would you like me to do that?

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Frank Rademakers wrote:

> 'Frank Rademakers schreef:
> > Hi, all
> >
> > Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
> > Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com
> >
> > Vulture's Eye is a further development of Falcon's Eye, Vulture's Claw
> > is the same interface, but uses Slash'EM instead of Nethack.Both use the
> > most current versions of Nethack and Slash'EM. Only the interface has
> > changed to the 3D isometric one of Falcon's Eye.
> >
> > If you have any questions, visit the forum and we'll help.
> >
> > Have fun!
>
> We just uploaded new versions for Windows, as well as for Linux/Unix.

Could you make the name of the archive (for Veye and Vclaw) different, so
that we could download both of them in the same place (eg /usr/src) ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Jym wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Frank Rademakers wrote:
>
> > 'Frank Rademakers schreef:
> > > Hi, all
> > >
> > > Clive just finished the new Windows versions of Vulture's Eye and
> > > Vulture's Claw. They are both ready for download at: http://www.diguru.com
> > >
> > > Vulture's Eye is a further development of Falcon's Eye, Vulture's Claw
> > > is the same interface, but uses Slash'EM instead of Nethack.Both use the
> > > most current versions of Nethack and Slash'EM. Only the interface has
> > > changed to the 3D isometric one of Falcon's Eye.
> > >
> > > If you have any questions, visit the forum and we'll help.
> > >
> > > Have fun!
> >
> > We just uploaded new versions for Windows, as well as for Linux/Unix.
>
> Could you make the name of the archive (for Veye and Vclaw) different, so
> that we could download both of them in the same place (eg /usr/src) ?

Just untarred the file.

Am I wrong or are really both Veye and Vclaw in the same file ? In this
case, why having two webpages with download links ?

The firsts lines int the Makefile seems wrong ("to build slash'em: make
nethack-home").

Would it be possible to have some INSTALL file explaining stuff (I never
liked reading Makefiles) ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:

> Could you make the name of the archive (for Veye and Vclaw) different, so
> that we could download both of them in the same place (eg /usr/src) ?
>
> Hypocoristiquement,
> Jym.

As it is, it's a single repository that contains both versions at the
same time. So you only have to download the one file.

From the Makefile:
to build NetHack in your home directory: make nethack-home
to build Slashem in your home directory: make nethack-home
to build * Both in your home directory: make home

The interface itself is exactly the same code and other resources for
both, so it would be very inconvenient to split it up and maintain two
separate versions.

I'll change the text on the website to make this clear, as it isn't very
at the moment.

>A zip file is only 500 KB smaller, I don't think that would solve your
>problem. But I could make separate versions without sound, those would
>only be ~7 MB each. Would you like me to do that?

the size of the installer is not the problem, but the way the installer
operates, it creates at least another 40mb of temporary data during install
and also uses a lot of ram i.e. starts endless swapping here (win95).

so if you could create a zip, with or without sound..i would
really be thankful.

thankx,
b.wilke

bliNOSPAMNO97jdw@studserv.uni-leipzig.de schreef:

> the size of the installer is not the problem, but the way the installer
> operates, it creates at least another 40mb of temporary data during install
> and also uses a lot of ram i.e. starts endless swapping here (win95).
>
> so if you could create a zip, with or without sound..i would
> really be thankful.
>
> thankx,
> b.wilke

Ok. Done. I added two zipfiles, with sound. Let me know if it works,
otherwise I can replace them with zips without sound.

Jym schreef:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Jym wrote:
>
> Just untarred the file.
>
> Am I wrong or are really both Veye and Vclaw in the same file ? In this
> case, why having two webpages with download links ?
>
> The firsts lines int the Makefile seems wrong ("to build slash'em: make
> nethack-home").
>
> Would it be possible to have some INSTALL file explaining stuff (I never
> liked reading Makefiles) ?
>
> Hypocoristiquement,
> Jym.

Yes, that is correct. Sorry about that. I changed the text on the pages.

And you are right, that is a bug. ;-) I'll report it, and we'll fix it.

Use "make slashem-home" instead.

And we'll make a better manual. It's on our list, but you know how it is
with programmers and manuals...

:-D

>Ok. Done. I added two zipfiles, with sound. Let me know if it works,
>otherwise I can replace them with zips without sound.

yes it works, thank you.
i would suggest to generally distribute the sounds
as optional package, because the whole thing is a bit large
for people without broadband.

i have replaced sdl.dll with the one i normally use (only 1/10
of the size, yours is probably the debug-enabled version) and i
also have compressed the main program with upx.
all in all this saves another 5mb, and the whole (without sounds)
is just around 12mb when installed and about 6.2mb when zipped.

anyway, this is probably only interesting to minimalists ;)

b.wilke

There is a bug in the website, when viewed with IE. The scrollbar isn't
working anymore. And I totally cannot get it back to work. Grr!

If anyone knows what the problem might be, please tell me!

bliNOSPAMNO97jdw@studserv.uni-leipzig.de schreef:

> yes it works, thank you.
> i would suggest to generally distribute the sounds
> as optional package, because the whole thing is a bit large
> for people without broadband.
>
> i have replaced sdl.dll with the one i normally use (only 1/10
> of the size, yours is probably the debug-enabled version) and i
> also have compressed the main program with upx.
> all in all this saves another 5mb, and the whole (without sounds)
> is just around 12mb when installed and about 6.2mb when zipped.
>
> anyway, this is probably only interesting to minimalists ;)
>

> b.wilke

Good to hear!

I will see what I can do to make the next version smaller, like
replacing the dll as you said and reducing the size of the sound files.
I haven't got unlimited space or bandwith either, so it helps me as
well. ;-)

Frank Rademakers schreef:
> There is a bug in the website, when viewed with IE. The scrollbar isn't
> working anymore. And I totally cannot get it back to work. Grr!
>
> If anyone knows what the problem might be, please tell me!

It's fixed. I made a stupid mistake...

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Frank Rademakers wrote:

> Jym wrote:
> >
> > Could you make the name of the archive (for Veye and Vclaw) different, so
> > that we could download both of them in the same place (eg /usr/src) ?
> >
> > Hypocoristiquement,
> > Jym.
>
> As it is, it's a single repository that contains both versions at the
> same time. So you only have to download the one file.

OK. This is rather unclear at first sight.

> From the Makefile:
> to build NetHack in your home directory: make nethack-home
> to build Slashem in your home directory: make nethack-home
> to build * Both in your home directory: make home

Yes. Is the Slashem line really correct ? (especially since target 'home'
goes to targets 'nethack-home' and 'slashem-home').

Is it possible to build the stuff in standard directories (/usr/games),
with root privileges of course ?

By the way, both nethack-home and slashem-home leads to errors on my
system (debian testing), apparently something SDL related but I did not
grab all the error messages (we should maybe continue discussion about
that via mail rather than on rgrn).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Frank Rademakers wrote:

> Jym schreef:
> >
> > Would it be possible to have some INSTALL file explaining stuff (I never
> > liked reading Makefiles) ?
>
> And we'll make a better manual. It's on our list, but you know how it is
> with programmers and manuals...

Yeah, I know... I think none of my programs have anything close to a
manual...

Well, even if the INSTALL file only contains the 4 instructions lines from
the Makefile, I would think it better, I always feel like doing something
forbidden and dangerous when reading Makefiles without being asked so...
(and so I always prefered programs with correct ./configure rather than
programs asking to edit Makefiles, but this is another problem).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.