Sign in with
Your question

Audio issues connecting PC to TV

Last response: in Windows 7
January 21, 2013 9:02:00 AM

Wasn't sure where to post this, but under Win 7 seemed vaguely logical.

Yesterday, I thought I'd have a day with my PC connected up to my TV, a 37 inch Samsung LCD. I connected via HDMI, thinking this would be a piece of cake.

Tried first to watch the football, streaming via Sky Go, but the audio was so bad, I disabled the HDMI audio, and plugged in a 3.5mm jack, but that did not work at all. Reverted to the HDMI, but that was still awful. I just kept breaking up. So I killed the stream, and tried to p[lay some music from my music files, but again the audio was terrible, constantly brteaking up.

I don't know why, but I thought I'd try a game. So I fired up Steam, opened up Big Picture mode, and sound was normal. I loaded Portal 2. Audio quality was excellent. No breaking up at all.

So I closed Steam, and tried Youtube. Audio was perfect.

Closed the web browser, and tried my music files again. Audio was again back to being terrible, breaking up.

Opened my browser again, loaded a Youtube video, perfect sound. I paused the video that was playing, opened Windows Media Player, played a music file and guess what ? Perfect audio !!! But only while Youtube page was open and video paused. When I closed the browser, the sound reverted to crappy breaking up sound.

Anyone got any ideas what the hell is going on ????

System details in case it matters are : Intel Core i7 3820, AsRock eXtreme 4 mobo, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Windforce 3x, 8Gb Crucial Ballistix RAM, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I've gone back to my little monitor for now, but occasionally I'll want to put this on my TV.

Can anyone help ???
January 21, 2013 9:18:54 AM

what media player are you using?
windows media as i look up the page again,
ok
download vlc media player from video lan and try again,
may be that wmc has become corrupted or has a conflict somewhere along the line so i would first try a different player- if the problem persists id say driver, if not id say corrupted media player these are best guesses not definitive answers but good luck any way
January 21, 2013 9:21:59 AM

Thanks. I should have said, I have tried VLC Player already. Just the same.

Also the you know the Windows start sound and shut down sounds ? They don't play correctly either. It just seems that the audio doesn't kick in properly until I oppen a game or Youtube videos.

!