Killed by an imperious order

This lvl11-monk sits on a throne

"you may wish for an object"...

The PYEC please.

"you are blasted by the PYEC's power!"

#sit

"by your imperious order, sire?"
"enter the name of a monster you want to genocide"

master mind flayer

wiped out all monks

DYWYPI ?

I was the Envoy of Balance and i was extremely lucky

really ?

Jakob Creutzig schrieb:
> uli2003wien@lycos.at writes:
>
> > #sit
> >
> > "by your imperious order, sire?"
> > "enter the name of a monster you want to genocide"
> >
> > master mind flayer
> >
> > wiped out all monks
> >
> > DYWYPI ?
>
> I would guess that you entered a slightly misspelled version;
> in that case, the game is doing a somewhat strange pattern
> recognition and guesswork. Here, it found the word 'master'
> and cleverly concluded that you want to wipe out all 'masters',
> from which it ingeniously deduced that you wanted to wipe out
> all monks.
>
> I have the suspicion that the guesswork is intentionally screwed
> in order to facilitate such bizarre accidents.
>
> Best,
> Jakob

After recovering from the shock ;-), I also think that i was killed by
a typo, whereas if i had decided to genocide some master liches maybe
the same would have happen to me. Warning to all archaelogists: never
genocide Arch Liches.

Besides: this incident showed another strange pattern. After keeping
the monk-conducts clean i had one pick-axe-accident followed by me
eating a yummy wraith-corpse. Thus the game concluded that i am not
after conducts and killed my wishless and genoless conducts while i was
sitting on the throne before eliminating completely from the game.

Regards

Uli

Ken Cuvelier wrote:

> Nick Vargish wrote:
>>
>> Can you be stunned by getting blasted? If so, that would explain the
>> subsequent genocide "confusion".
>
> The OP did not need to be stunned or confused to explain what happened.
> "master mind flayer" does not properly match any monster, whereas
> "master mindflayer" does.

This is backwards!

Wizmode:

You have found a scroll of genocide!
What monster do you want to genocide? [type the name] master mind flayer
Wiped out all master mind flayers.
For what do you wish? uncursed scroll of genocide
k - a scroll of genocide.
What do you want to read? [k or ?*]
As you read the scroll, it disappears.
You have found a scroll of genocide!
What monster do you want to genocide? [type the name] master mindflayer
A thunderous voice booms through the caverns:
"No, mortal! That will not be done."
What monster do you want to genocide? [type the name] mindflayer
Such creatures do not exist in this world.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

Benjamin Lewis schrieb:
> Ken Cuvelier wrote:
>
> > Nick Vargish wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you be stunned by getting blasted? If so, that would explain the
> >> subsequent genocide "confusion".
> >
> > The OP did not need to be stunned or confused to explain what happened.
> > "master mind flayer" does not properly match any monster, whereas
> > "master mindflayer" does.
>
> This is backwards!
>
> Wizmode:
>
> You have found a scroll of genocide!
> What monster do you want to genocide? [type the name] master mind flayer
> Wiped out all master mind flayers.
> For what do you wish? uncursed scroll of genocide
> k - a scroll of genocide.
> What do you want to read? [k or ?*]
> As you read the scroll, it disappears.
> You have found a scroll of genocide!
> What monster do you want to genocide? [type the name] master mindflayer
> A thunderous voice booms through the caverns:
> "No, mortal! That will not be done."
> What monster do you want to genocide? [type the name] mindflayer
> Such creatures do not exist in this world.

I am still in such a state of shock, so i do not remember what i wrote.
So be warned and don't genocide those nice little flayers ;-)

I want to see the player who is offered a wish and a geno by sitting on
a throne and then he says "NO, this time i am going wishless", i keep
reading instead of the materialists who say "basically i wanted to go
foo-less but then i found this nice WoW on level 2..."

Regards

Uli

uli2003wien@lycos.at writes:

> "you are blasted by the PYEC's power!"

Can you be stunned by getting blasted? If so, that would explain the
subsequent genocide "confusion".

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

Nick Vargish wrote:
> uli2003wien@lycos.at writes:
>

>>"you are blasted by the PYEC's power!"
>

> Can you be stunned by getting blasted? If so, that would explain the
> subsequent genocide "confusion".

The OP did not need to be stunned or confused to explain what happened.
"master mind flayer" does not properly match any monster, whereas
"master mindflayer" does. The RNG in its perversity probably decided,
since this was a monk, that what was asked for was Master Kaen, which
really meant that monks needed to be wiped out.

-Ken

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:

> This lvl11-monk sits on a throne
>
> "by your imperious order, sire?"
> "enter the name of a monster you want to genocide"
>
> master mind flayer
>
> wiped out all monks
>
> DYWYPI ?

Do not perform genocide while confused.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> uli2003wien@lycos.at writes:
>
> > #sit
> >
> > "by your imperious order, sire?"
> > "enter the name of a monster you want to genocide"
> >
> > master mind flayer
> >
> > wiped out all monks
> >
> > DYWYPI ?
>
> I would guess that you entered a slightly misspelled version;
> in that case, the game is doing a somewhat strange pattern
> recognition and guesswork. Here, it found the word 'master'
> and cleverly concluded that you want to wipe out all 'masters',
> from which it ingeniously deduced that you wanted to wipe out
> all monks.

The usual culprit here is trying to genocide "master mindflayers".
There are _some_ alternative spellings allowed ("elf lord" vs
"elf-lord", for example), but leaving out the space in "mind flayer"
isn't one of them.

(See <a0cf543f.0406281300.635e9f61@posting.google.com> and the
subsequent thread for last year's discussion on this.)

: "At the sushi counter of life, you must use the chopsticks of ambition :
: to grab the sashimi of accomplishment or you will be left with the :
: wasabi of disappointment." -- Dan Shiovitz :

> Besides: this incident showed another strange pattern. After keeping
> the monk-conducts clean i had one pick-axe-accident followed by me
> eating a yummy wraith-corpse. Thus the game concluded that i am not
> after conducts and killed my wishless and genoless conducts while i was
> sitting on the throne before eliminating completely from the game.

These can be prevented by wishing for 'nothing' or genociding 'none'.

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
____ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _____ __ __
/ ___|| | / \ / ___|| | | ( ) ____| \/ |

Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> writes:
> The OP did not need to be stunned or confused to explain what happened.
> "master mind flayer" does not properly match any monster, whereas
> "master mindflayer" does.

Other way round.

> The RNG in its perversity probably decided,
> since this was a monk, that what was asked for was Master Kaen, which
> really meant that monks needed to be wiped out.

Master Kaen isn't relevant; the "Master" title of 30th-level Monks is.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> writes:
>
>>The OP did not need to be stunned or confused to explain what happened.
>> "master mind flayer" does not properly match any monster, whereas
>>"master mindflayer" does.
>

> Other way round.

Great. Now we have to wonder what the OP actually did put in for the
request, because "master mind flayer" is what was in the message that
started this thread! Thanks for pointing out my error - I would hate to
make the mistake, based on this thread, of using a throne genocide for
"master mindflayer".

>>The RNG in its perversity probably decided,
>>since this was a monk, that what was asked for was Master Kaen, which
>>really meant that monks needed to be wiped out.
>

> Master Kaen isn't relevant; the "Master" title of 30th-level Monks is.

Thanks for the clarification.

-Ken

Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
> uli2003wien@lycos.at writes:
>
>> "you are blasted by the PYEC's power!"
>
> Can you be stunned by getting blasted? If so, that would explain the
> subsequent genocide "confusion".

Does genociding yourself break genoless?

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Ian Stirling wrote:

> Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
> > uli2003wien@lycos.at writes:
> >
> >> "you are blasted by the PYEC's power!"
> >
> > Can you be stunned by getting blasted? If so, that would explain the
> > subsequent genocide "confusion".
>
> Does genociding yourself break genoless?

wizmode says it does.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> > I would guess that you entered a slightly misspelled version;
> > in that case, the game is doing a somewhat strange pattern
> > recognition and guesswork. Here, it found the word 'master'
> > and cleverly concluded that you want to wipe out all 'masters',
> > from which it ingeniously deduced that you wanted to wipe out
> > all monks.
>
> The usual culprit here is trying to genocide "master mindflayers".
> There are _some_ alternative spellings allowed ("elf lord" vs
> "elf-lord", for example), but leaving out the space in "mind flayer"
> isn't one of them.

Am I the only one that considers this a bug? Surely the parsing should
be tweaked to recognise the player's intention when s/he types (master)
"mind flayer", "mindflayer", "mind-flayer" and probably "mnid flayer",
"mind-fayler" and a good number of other near-misses besides.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> writes:

>> The RNG in its perversity probably decided,
>> since this was a monk, that what was asked for was Master Kaen, which
>> really meant that monks needed to be wiped out.

> Master Kaen isn't relevant; the "Master" title of 30th-level Monks is.

Yet another evil idea: let the game remember that "Masters" have
been genocided, and kill the player when he reaches level 30...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> > Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> writes:
>
> >> The RNG in its perversity probably decided,
> >> since this was a monk, that what was asked for was Master Kaen, which
> >> really meant that monks needed to be wiped out.
>
> > Master Kaen isn't relevant; the "Master" title of 30th-level Monks is.
>
> Yet another evil idea: let the game remember that "Masters" have
> been genocided, and kill the player when he reaches level 30...

? You mean, instead of killing the char now for being a monk,
he's killed if he reaches level 30?

Besides, this would be inconsistent with the behaviour of monsters
in similar situations.

Best,
Jakob

dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:

> Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> > Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> > > I would guess that you entered a slightly misspelled version;
> > > in that case, the game is doing a somewhat strange pattern
> > > recognition and guesswork. Here, it found the word 'master'
> > > and cleverly concluded that you want to wipe out all 'masters',
> > > from which it ingeniously deduced that you wanted to wipe out
> > > all monks.
> >
> > The usual culprit here is trying to genocide "master mindflayers".
> > There are _some_ alternative spellings allowed ("elf lord" vs
> > "elf-lord", for example), but leaving out the space in "mind flayer"
> > isn't one of them.
>
> Am I the only one that considers this a bug?

It depends.

If the DevTeam wanted this strange pattern recognition to
work in favour of the genocider, it's clearly buggy.

If this pattern recognition was set up to make genociding
more 'dangerous' and less 'reliable', it works as intended.

Personally, I believe in the second possibility, for a simple
reason: Genociding monks via specifying 'master *' works
exactly if you started as a monk. Else, a voice booms out etc..
This might be due to separate checks for genociding allowance,
but the mere fact that a monk is allowed to wipe out monks
while a tourist ain't smells fishy to me.

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

>> Yet another evil idea: let the game remember that "Masters" have
>> been genocided, and kill the player when he reaches level 30...

> ? You mean, instead of killing the char now for being a monk,
> he's killed if he reaches level 30?

Indeed.

> Besides, this would be inconsistent with the behaviour of monsters
> in similar situations.

Would it?

When a sergeant drinks a potion of gain level, and lieutenants have been
genocided, she is killed at the spot (if I recall correctly, she
wouldn't even leave a corpse).

I'd say this would be entirely consistent behaviour.

--

I wrote:

> When a sergeant drinks a potion of gain level, and lieutenants have
> been genocided, she is killed at the spot (if I recall correctly, she
> wouldn't even leave a corpse).

This does present a little bug, though: the messages shown when you see
this happening are:

The sergeant drinks a blessed potion of gain level!
The sergeant seems more experienced.

After that, the sergeant is gone, without any message.

I'm not saying there should be a message telling you the sergeant
disappeared (you don't get a similar message when you read a scroll of
genocide while the genocided species is in sight - you just get the
standard "wiped out all xxx").

I do think that the "more experienced" message should disappear.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1118139674.043772.275880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<uli2003wien@lycos.at> wrote:

>master mind flayer
>wiped out all monks

Confused genocide. YASD.

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
>
> >> Yet another evil idea: let the game remember that "Masters" have
> >> been genocided, and kill the player when he reaches level 30...
>
> > ? You mean, instead of killing the char now for being a monk,
> > he's killed if he reaches level 30?
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Besides, this would be inconsistent with the behaviour of monsters
> > in similar situations.
>
> Would it?

[wiz-test]
Ooops, you're right:

'The master lich touches the captain. The captain is covered
in frost! The captain is killed! The arch-lich's body crumbles
into dust.'

I could've sworn your pet just stays at maximal level for e.g.
a master lich. My shame for not wiz-testing things before
posting.

Best,
Jakob

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> I wrote:
>

>>When a sergeant drinks a potion of gain level, and lieutenants have
>>been genocided, she is killed at the spot (if I recall correctly, she
>>wouldn't even leave a corpse).
>

> This does present a little bug, though: the messages shown when you see
> this happening are:
>
> The sergeant drinks a blessed potion of gain level!
> The sergeant seems more experienced.
>
> After that, the sergeant is gone, without any message.
>
> I'm not saying there should be a message telling you the sergeant
> disappeared (you don't get a similar message when you read a scroll of
> genocide while the genocided species is in sight - you just get the
> standard "wiped out all xxx").
>
> I do think that the "more experienced" message should disappear.

When you suffer a YAAD, don't you feel a little more experienced?

Atillo

>> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>>>When a sergeant drinks a potion of gain level, and lieutenants have
>>>been genocided, she is killed at the spot (if I recall correctly, she
>>>wouldn't even leave a corpse).
>>

>> This does present a little bug, though: the messages shown when
>> you see this happening are:
>>
>> The sergeant drinks a blessed potion of gain level!
>> The sergeant seems more experienced.
>>
>> After that, the sergeant is gone, without any message.

Testing in wizmode I got a message of "As the gnome grows up into a gnome
lord, it dies." Checking Google, it's found under makemon.c

Subsequent tests show me that getting such a message is rare. I've tried
this on dwarves and gnomes and they vanished without a trace after my
initial experiment.

Funny thing, the first dwarf that I summoned and tempted with potions of
gain level wouldn't drink any more potions of gain level after I
genocided dwarf lords.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> Funny thing, the first dwarf that I summoned and tempted with potions
> of gain level wouldn't drink any more potions of gain level after I
> genocided dwarf lords.

When I was trying things out in wizard mode, it seemed to me that
blessed potions did the trick.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

TRENDING THREADS