Anyone use any household stuff for CPU Thermal Gel

G

My CPU Thermal tape isnt working so great..
anything else i can try..

ill buy some thermal gel if it works..
if so..

whats the best brand..??

Also any household things work well?

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

RCPilot

Champion
Funny you asked that. A friend of mine I work with got his new P3 900 & didn't have any Artic Silver. He didn't want to wait to get it up & running & it was late at night. So he went into the garage & dipped his finger in axle grease & used that. I laughed about that myself, but it's been at least 5 or 6 months now & it's still up & cool. He keeps telling me that he's going to put Artic Silver on it, but he just never seems to have the time to do it.

The other funny thing about his machine is that the slot retainers on his MOBO were gone for some reason & he used electrial tape, 1 wrap around the adapter & MOBO. Yea I laughed at that as well, but the darn machine of his just keeps on ticking.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bit at a time!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Axle grease is actually made to help conduct the heat of the bearings to their housing so it should work well. It is also a high-heat grease that is made not to run under extreme temps-far more than a CPU can produce.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
use hair gel, this stuff stands up to a hairdryer quite nicely.

<b>***DISCLAIMER***</b>don't be a jackass and try this at home. :smile:

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
just spring the couple of bucks and either get ASII or Radioshack thermal compound. Pretty much the same performance and better than almost ever default HS tape (I heard the Thermoengine pad was as good as ASII, but it's the exception)

Do you want to risk a US$60-250 processor for the sake of science? More power to you if you do, but it ain't my style!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
duron
haven't we already seen this post?
are u running of things to say?
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I swear by Elmer's Glue, I had to use it in a pinch, it works better than most thermal goo...

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.