Windows 7 - same 5 updates repeating download on every shut down.

numpteyman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
They are all microsoft .net updates.
I have tried the microsoftfixit tool and also tried repairing the .net file and then re downloading the updates after. But annoyingly they pop back up every time.
Anyone have a clue as to how I resolve this issue?
Thanks in advance.

Are they the same updates every time? Also, do they report as failed or success?

If they are the same updates, and they repeatedly report as failed, this is usually because you have a corrupted system file.

Run CMD.EXE as an administrator, and run this command: SFC /SCANNOW

It will take a while, and require a restart when completed. If the updates don't install after that, you will probably have to reinstall the operating system from your original discs (if you choose "repair" during the reinstall, it may fix the problem).

This is caused from one of two things:
1) The system being shut down unexpectedly (abnormal shutdown)
2) The hard drive is failing

I have noticed several hard drives die a slow death - creating intermittent problems before reporting something that identifies defective hardware.

numpteyman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks for your help everyone but it seems to have resolved itself. Must have been a problem that was being worked on by Microsoft. Again thanks for your help.

Dominio Publico

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Reinstall the operating system. Words I had never heard before I started using windows. Now it's a periodic event I have scheduled on my calendar. What hurts even more is with the upgrade version the reinstall is more like 2 operating systems and takes all day.

The issue is that you are using windows and the solution is to stop using windows. You will never need to reinstall ubuntu, os x, or chrome. Updates do not "fail".

If you insist on using windows because you still aren't convinced games work on macs or wine works on ubuntu, after you have everything set up clone your disk image and save it. Make sure your data is stored on a separate disk than the os. Then each time windows breaks just restore your clone.

WisconsinKnight

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

Please refrain from ever giving advice to anyone ever again as you do not know what you're talking about.