what's the worst luck you've ever had?

I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into
an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY
annoying.
37 answers Last reply
More about what worst luck

    Nethacker wrote:
    > I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into
    > an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY
    > annoying.

    I once had a chameleon shift into an arch-lich (this was in Minetown)
    long enough to curse my possessions to make me super-burdened
    (overtaxed?) and unable to move; it then shifted into a crocodile to
    finish me off.

    Nethacker wrote:

    > I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning
    > into an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was
    > REALLY annoying.

    Please,

    - don't put a subject only in the subject line, but *repeat* it in the
    article;
    - if you reply to someone else, *quote* what you're reacting to, and
    *only* what you're reacting to; and
    - put your replies under the text you're replying to; if you're reacting
    to multiple parts of a message, split the original message.

    Now, to answer to your message, I think you must have been way over
    level 6 yourself or you have been descending too fast.

    Polymorph traps don't appear until dungeon level eight, so you maight
    consider descending more slowly.

    I wouldn't count this as bad luck, but as not playing carefully enough.
    Opinions on this may differ, of course.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

    Hmm.

    I, too, got an arch-lich in the Mines just the other day. A polymorph
    trap or a chameleon, I guess, I don't know what. I had checked the
    level with telepathy earlier and found nothing to worry about; then I
    was walking along, hit an arch-lich, and pressed the arrow key one more
    time before my reflexes caught me. In that time, it summoned a
    minotaur and a xorn which killed me before I could understand what
    happened. Man, that was a good game too; wizard with two magic markers
    and at least 13 spellbooks to play with. I was looking forward to it
    once I got my luckstone; I've never before been able to write unknown
    spellbooks with a Wizard.

    I've died on T:1 from (I think) a falling rock trap adjacent to the
    dungeon entrance. It's not really bad luck in the sense that I could
    just start right over. But really, very unneccessary on the RNG's
    part. I imagine a couple other people have had this experience.

    Ooh, here's a recent one. I get lazy sometimes around nymphs; also I
    hate them and wish to personally slash/bludgeon them to death whenever
    possible. I was following one around the map trying to get my cloak of
    magic resistance back; I ran into her in a dark tunnel so I didn't see
    her coming, and she stole two items from me: my helmet and my wand of
    death, and zapped me with the wand. Wouldn't have been any more than
    an annoyance (wasted charges) if I had still had the cloak of magic
    resistance, which was the ONLY other item she had stolen from me. The
    world's craftiest nymph, or the RNG's most devious scheme.

    Here's the last one I can remember, though it was my own fault. I
    decided to tick off some Minetown guards to net a silver saber
    (#twoweapon with Grayswandir) and a long sword (Excalibur).
    Unfortunately I was unaware that though I could mop the floor with
    ordinary watchmen, the watch captains could yet mop the floor with me.
    I knew they were stronger, but...wow. I had two scrolls of
    teleportation, but for some (certainly stupid) reason when I realized
    my mistake, I decided to duck into a side room to try and make a stand,
    and only teleport out if things got uglier. I think I even put a towel
    around my head to check by telepathy if there were enemies inside, and
    saw none. I knock down the door, and there is a dust vortex. It
    blinds me before I can kill it, and now I can't read my scrolls. Death
    comes shortly.

    I take the blame for the last one, of course; I made so many ridiculous
    mistakes in that event that I can't remember them all. But still...the
    straw that broke the camel's back was a DUST VORTEX. Didn't see that
    one coming.

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:08:53 -0700, Nethacker wrote:

    > I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into an
    > arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY annoying.

    I'd be hard pressed to come up with this one. The time my first step put
    me through a trap door and I was immediately killed by rothes comes to mind,
    but I actually count a death like that as lucky since I didn't have time
    to care yet about the character.

    --
    "We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
    of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting

    Jym wrote:
    > IIRC, you can read scrolls while blind, provided you've seen them before
    > ("you pronounce the magic words" or something similar). I tried it in
    > wizmode the other day and it worked.

    Yes, I discovered that one by accident the other day. Went to read a
    scroll of teleportation after being blinded by a magic trap when
    running from a combat, did so, then momentarily realised it wasn't an
    option, and was surprised to discover I was now at the other side of
    the level. Took me a minute or two to figure out why it had worked.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Benjamin Schieder wrote:
    > > What's the worst luck you've ever had?

    > Probably that nice char that successfully did the mines,
    > reached XL 10 and went to Sokoban to get reflection. The
    > Woodland-Elf zaps an oak wand. The death ray hits you! You
    > die... DYWYPI?

    Death rays are a bit of a downer. My last character ended up
    like that, too: one of the gents in the big room had a death
    ray. When I first entered the big room, I wasn't too worried,
    despite having aggrevate monster, since I was a priest with
    spell casting high enough that I could successfully cast extra
    healing without undressing. (I was actually expecting the level
    with the steps up to Sokoban, instead of the big room. I'd
    found speed boots early on, and a sack of holding in the mines,
    and with a full panoplie of armor, including dwarven mithral, I
    was hoping for reflection in Sokoban, and a good long run.)

    Still, for pure bad luck... dropping though a trap door into the
    big room, when I had aggrevate monster, was pretty nasty. (I
    was a valk that time, so no spells. And no useful potions,
    either.)

    Seems that when I'm playing a dwarf or an elf, I tend to forget
    the fact, and end up either eating my race, or sacrificing it on
    an altar. I know how to recover from the sacrifice, although it
    is a lot of work, but how does one get rid of aggrevate monster,
    once one's got it?

    --
    James Kanze GABI Software
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > What's the worst luck you've ever had?

    Probably that nice char that successfully did the mines, reached XL 10 and went
    to Sokoban to get reflection.
    The Woodland-Elf zaps an oak wand.
    The death ray hits you! You die... DYWYPI?

    But I guess just about everyone has been there.

    Greetings,
    Benjamin

    --
    Benjamin 'blindCoder' Schieder
    Registered Linux User #289529: http://counter.li.org

    Nethacker wrote:
    > what's the worst luck you've ever had?

    Playing an orcish rogue . . . made it all the way to the Plane of
    Water, then instadeath to deadly poison from a cobra. Poison danger
    had never even crossed my mind, being an orc and all.

    Apparently slogging through that horde of gremlins at night a few
    thousand turns earlier wasn't such a good idea after all.

    And then there's the time I ran across a demilich in the Mines, thanks
    to a poly trap . . . he cursed my bag of holding, which contained all
    my escape devices (wand of digging and scolls of teleport) . . . all of
    which vaporized when I tried to loot it anyway.

    Another bad one would be from before my first ascension . . . stepping
    on my first land mine ever, while weilding a cockatrice corpse on DL45
    or so. I think the RNG is determined to personally demonstrate to me
    every possible preventable death.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Don't even remember what kind of character it was. Tried to loot a box
    two steps off the stairs up: tower of flame. Scrolls burn, potions
    explode, DYWYPI?.

    I'd say you can't get much worse than that.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Ken Cuvelier wrote:

    > Keith Davies wrote:
    >> No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
    >> nibbled to death by a newt.
    >>
    >> That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
    >> 'bad luck', though.
    >
    > Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
    > command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known level.
    > If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing your
    > movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel inconvenient,
    > you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing guarantees you won't
    > whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things to lower the probability
    > that you will.

    Also, most reasonably decent terminals will allow you to customize the
    colours. You're free to brighten up the blue to something satisfactory.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
    -- James Thurber
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

    > Here's the last one I can remember, though it was my own fault. I
    > decided to tick off some Minetown guards to net a silver saber
    > (#twoweapon with Grayswandir) and a long sword (Excalibur).
    > Unfortunately I was unaware that though I could mop the floor with
    > ordinary watchmen, the watch captains could yet mop the floor with me.
    > I knew they were stronger, but...wow. I had two scrolls of
    > teleportation, but for some (certainly stupid) reason when I realized
    > my mistake, I decided to duck into a side room to try and make a stand,
    > and only teleport out if things got uglier. I think I even put a towel
    > around my head to check by telepathy if there were enemies inside, and
    > saw none. I knock down the door, and there is a dust vortex. It
    > blinds me before I can kill it, and now I can't read my scrolls. Death
    > comes shortly.

    IIRC, you can read scrolls while blind, provided you've seen them before
    ("you pronounce the magic words" or something similar). I tried it in
    wizmode the other day and it worked.

    This is indeed very surprising but rather useful to know...

    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:

    > Don't even remember what kind of character it was. Tried to loot a box
    > two steps off the stairs up: tower of flame. Scrolls burn, potions
    > explode, DYWYPI?.
    >
    > I'd say you can't get much worse than that.

    It can only get one step sooner than that, but is soonest
    also worst? The worst luck I've had (player luck) is
    after finding the vibrating square, returning to my stash
    to do the final ascension kits preps to put stuff near
    the level 1 staircase. Then I forgot that I'd just eaten,
    overate, and choked to death just before gong down to
    toast Rodney. The worst luck I've had (game luck) was
    getting blocked by a boulder after opening the Castle
    gate, having to deal with a minotaur from the maze,
    and too many strong monsters pouring across the bridge.

    The deepest bad luck is the worst in one view.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Well, if you examine the source correctly, there is a small instance
    where you die on the first turn. It's in the source, seriously!
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:

    > Seems that when I'm playing a dwarf or an elf, I tend to forget
    > the fact, and end up either eating my race, or sacrificing it on
    > an altar. I know how to recover from the sacrifice, although it
    > is a lot of work, but how does one get rid of aggrevate monster,
    > once one's got it?

    I think the only way is to dance with gremlins at night (between 10 pm and
    6 am). Not that I would advise doing so.

    --
    Philipp Lucas
    phlucas@online-club.de

    rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu <rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

    > I take the blame for the last one, of course; I made so many ridiculous
    > mistakes in that event that I can't remember them all. But still...the
    > straw that broke the camel's back was a DUST VORTEX. Didn't see that
    > one coming.

    No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
    nibbled to death by a newt.

    That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
    'bad luck', though.

    Keith
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Keith Davies wrote:
    > No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
    > nibbled to death by a newt.
    >
    > That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
    > 'bad luck', though.

    Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
    command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known level.
    If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing your
    movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel inconvenient,
    you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing guarantees you won't
    whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things to lower the probability
    that you will.

    -Ken
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    > Keith Davies wrote:
    >> No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
    >> nibbled to death by a newt.
    >>
    >> That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
    >> 'bad luck', though.
    >
    > Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
    > command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known
    > level. If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing
    > your movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel
    > inconvenient, you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing
    > guarantees you won't whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things
    > to lower the probability that you will.

    I never pretype movement -- Bad Things Happen. It's more a matter of
    hitting a tricky part (wanting a particular path through, say) and not
    catching the e in time.

    Simple insufficient attention. Or, in some cases, being chased and
    hoping for the best ("okay, hallway blocked by an e, I can often oneshot
    them... doing this *right* will get me killed, so..."). That doesn't
    lead to death by newt, mind, but it is a reason I'll sometimes charge an
    eye.

    Keith
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
    > Ken Cuvelier wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Davies wrote:
    >>> No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
    >>> nibbled to death by a newt.
    >>>
    >>> That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
    >>> 'bad luck', though.
    >>
    >> Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
    >> command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known level.
    >> If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing your
    >> movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel inconvenient,
    >> you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing guarantees you won't
    >> whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things to lower the probability
    >> that you will.
    >
    > Also, most reasonably decent terminals will allow you to customize the
    > colours. You're free to brighten up the blue to something satisfactory.

    I keep meaning to, actually. I just never *do*. I.e. YASD.

    I claim full responsibility. It's just that getting nibbled to death by
    a newt is *insulting*. Getting frozen, then smashed by something big
    that you didn't realize was there (or just spawned)... that's one thing.
    But a *newt*!

    It's almost as bad as choking on a wraith, but that one, really, you
    bring on yourself. A newt is, in a way, bad luck (in that that's all
    that showed up).

    Keith
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    delcantheodd@msn.com <delcantheodd@msn.com> wrote:
    > Don't even remember what kind of character it was. Tried to loot a box
    > two steps off the stairs up: tower of flame. Scrolls burn, potions
    > explode, DYWYPI?.
    >
    > I'd say you can't get much worse than that.

    Rock trap, first move.

    Keith
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Just now. On my way out of Sokoban. Around a corner I turn.

    The death ray hits you - more-

    DYWYPI?

    It's not like my character was hurt, or hungry, or burdened, or poorly
    armoured, or unarmed ... bah.

    --

    JPD
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <slrndaje0o.rqm.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
    Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

    >I had a really promising wizard, fell through a trap door. I found some
    >stairs up, into a throneroom with a troll and an Olog-hai...

    Yeah, I hate getting thrown into a room with Elbereth-respcting monsters too.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Nethacker wrote:
    > what's the worst luck you've ever had?

    Had the double trouble Wizard, one steal my MR confering quest artifact,
    the other applying the finger of death against me. Good team play! That
    was already on the Elemental Planes, fire level.

    Or my BoH full of all the ascension stuff deep down at Molochs Sanctum
    eaten by some creature. (Well, may count as plain stupidity.)

    Or another Boh with all the stuff down in Gehennom, picked up by my tame
    pet who was between me and a black dragon and disintegrated immediately
    after picking it up.

    Having Medusa level full, really *full*, of gremlins all _peaceful_; me
    trapped on some island and no progress possible.

    As a low level character fell quite early through one trapdoor after
    the other while trying to find the respective upstairs. Finally found
    me around level 15-20 with some typical creatures that you can't handle.

    In early days... Dying from starvation after offering all the corpses
    to finally obtain Greyswandir at the moment when you'd need the #pray
    to become satiated.

    Changing an artifact weapon for a cockatrice to instant kill that demon
    which actually was some foocubus who, in the first attack that he got,
    decided to take off my gauntlets. (Partly bad luck, partly stupidity.)

    Low on HP's need to drink extra healing which resultet in a djinni who
    granted me a wish just in the turn before I died. (A wish - what a luck!)

    Ahh, you asked for the worst?! - The first one, because I've built up
    that character for a long while and died quite instantly and was close
    to ascension.

    Janis
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kevin R wrote:
    > Nethacker wrote:
    >
    >> I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into
    >> an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY
    >> annoying.
    >
    > I once had a chameleon shift into an arch-lich (this was in Minetown)
    > long enough to curse my possessions to make me super-burdened
    > (overtaxed?) and unable to move; it then shifted into a crocodile to
    > finish me off.

    The time I had such chamaeleon/lich situation I think I successfully
    engraved the E-word, then after a while killed the chamaeleon in the
    shape of some jackal or so. To avoid the cursing you'd drop the bag
    (and any unicorn horn) next time.

    Janis
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    james <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:
    > In article <slrndaje0o.rqm.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
    > Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
    >
    >>I had a really promising wizard, fell through a trap door. I found some
    >>stairs up, into a throneroom with a troll and an Olog-hai...
    >
    > Yeah, I hate getting thrown into a room with Elbereth-respcting
    > monsters too.

    I didn't see anything there I couldn't kill and decided to go for it --
    and hopefully find the stairs so I could run if I needed to. I got
    surrounded and butchered before I could E-word.

    I'm not sure how useful Elbereth would've been, though, unless they
    would've opened the door and left (do they? dunno); getting through
    probably would've been difficult.

    Anyway, I checked, there's a nice happy bones file for when I get back
    down there.

    Keith
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > Don't even remember what kind of character it was. Tried to loot a box
    > two steps off the stairs up: tower of flame. Scrolls burn, potions
    > explode, DYWYPI?.
    >
    > I'd say you can't get much worse than that.

    Well, actually...I have done it quicker: :)
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group:rec.games.roguelike.nethack+author:Lasse&hl=no&lr=&scoring=r&selm=UwjBd.84%24VR2.83%40amstwist00&rnum=10

    LasseN
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    >I think you must have been way over
    > level 6 yourself or you have been descending too fast.

    I was in the Gnomish mines, but yes, I probably was going too fast.
    There was nothing tough I had seen on that level yet, so I figured it
    was safe (Mistake)

    but from gnome to arch-lich is a BIG difficulty difference... I didn't
    go into the gnomish mines that deep again on that game :P
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > Another bad one would be from before my first ascension . . . stepping
    > on my first land mine ever, while weilding a cockatrice corpse on DL45
    > or so. I think the RNG is determined to personally demonstrate to me
    > every possible preventable death.

    I have only one thing to say to that -

    Ouch
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    I once had three characters in a row insta-killed by lightning
    bolts on DL3. One of them saw the monster - a goblin - with the wand.
    The other two were hit by lightning out of dark corridors and never even
    knew what hit them.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    kanze@gabi-soft.fr writes:
    > Seems that when I'm playing a dwarf or an elf, I tend to forget
    > the fact, and end up either eating my race, or sacrificing it on
    > an altar. I know how to recover from the sacrifice, although it
    > is a lot of work, but how does one get rid of aggrevate monster,
    > once one's got it?

    One acquires stealth, which negates it for all significant purposes.

    : "At the sushi counter of life, you must use the chopsticks of ambition :
    : to grab the sashimi of accomplishment or you will be left with the :
    : wasabi of disappointment." -- Dan Shiovitz :
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > micromoog wrote:
    >
    >> Another bad one would be from before my first ascension . . . stepping
    >> on my first land mine ever, while weilding a cockatrice corpse on DL45
    >> or so. I think the RNG is determined to personally demonstrate to me
    >> every possible preventable death.
    >
    > That's not bad luck. That's stupidity.

    That depends. If you've never seen it before, it's neither -- it's just a
    painful learning experience.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
    -- James Thurber
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    micromoog wrote:

    > Another bad one would be from before my first ascension . . . stepping
    > on my first land mine ever, while weilding a cockatrice corpse on DL45
    > or so. I think the RNG is determined to personally demonstrate to me
    > every possible preventable death.

    That's not bad luck. That's stupidity.

    If you ever wield a cockatrice's corpse, DON'T MOVE, just fight.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >> micromoog wrote:

    >>> Another bad one would be from before my first ascension . . .
    >>> stepping on my first land mine ever, while weilding a cockatrice
    >>> corpse on DL45 or so. I think the RNG is determined to personally
    >>> demonstrate to me every possible preventable death.

    >> That's not bad luck. That's stupidity.

    > That depends. If you've never seen it before, it's neither -- it's
    > just a painful learning experience.

    If you've reached dungeon level 45, you *have* seen it before. You're
    not telling me that someone reaches level 45 and just out of the blue
    decides to try to wield a cockatrice's corpse for the first time.

    He or she has been reading the newsgroup, *knows* that you shouldn't
    move while wielding such a corpse, but just forgot about it.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    >>> That's not bad luck. That's stupidity.
    >
    >> That depends. If you've never seen it before, it's neither -- it's
    >> just a painful learning experience.
    >
    > If you've reached dungeon level 45, you *have* seen it before. You're
    > not telling me that someone reaches level 45 and just out of the blue
    > decides to try to wield a cockatrice's corpse for the first time.
    >
    > He or she has been reading the newsgroup, *knows* that you shouldn't
    > move while wielding such a corpse, but just forgot about it.

    I'd never heard of, or thought of wielding a rubber chicken the first time
    I ascended. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

    Even after I knew about it, I tried it several times, and I did walk around
    wielding it before hearing that it's dangerous. I've never died doing this
    myself.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
    -- James Thurber
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    That's easy.

    My friend introduced me to a really cool game. I became addicted to
    gpaKiller 3.4.1, and have been addicted to sending my @ through
    dungeon, fire & sword ever since.

    How could it be worse than that?
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > tyson wrote:
    >
    > > My friend introduced me to a really cool game. I became addicted to
    > > gpaKiller 3.4.1, and have been addicted to sending my @ through
    > > dungeon, fire & sword ever since.
    >
    > I guess a GPA is some sore of exam, or am I way off here?
    >
    > --
    > Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

    Grade Point Average, average mark, used in Australia, and Im pretty
    sure UK (as well as prob many other countries)
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    tyson wrote:

    > My friend introduced me to a really cool game. I became addicted to
    > gpaKiller 3.4.1, and have been addicted to sending my @ through
    > dungeon, fire & sword ever since.

    I guess a GPA is some sore of exam, or am I way off here?

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:1118841502.933098.291920
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >> tyson wrote:
    >>
    >> > My friend introduced me to a really cool game. I became addicted to
    >> > gpaKiller 3.4.1, and have been addicted to sending my @ through
    >> > dungeon, fire & sword ever since.
    >>
    >> I guess a GPA is some sore of exam, or am I way off here?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).
    >
    > Grade Point Average, average mark, used in Australia, and Im pretty
    > sure UK (as well as prob many other countries)

    I am about to be horribly OT and give more information than any of you
    care to know. :)

    United States, too. It tends to be on a 4 point scale, where 4 is good,
    and 0 is bad (though I'm not entirely sure you can get a 0 and remain in
    most colleges), but some colleges/courses end up with a 5 point scale.
    Different colleges figure it out different ways (some count an A- as less
    than an A, B+ as more than a B, etc), but it's pretty much: 4 is all A's,
    3 is all B's, 2 is all C's, 1 is all D's, and F is all 0's (because you
    don't get GPA points for an F).

    For example, if you're taking 12 hours of classes (minimum to be full
    time for most colleges; all I've ever heard of, but there may be
    exceptions), and this happens to be four classes of three hours. You get
    an A, two B's, and an F. 4, 3, 3, 0. Add them up, average them out, and
    that's your GPA (a 2.5*), or it is for the most part. Why do I know all
    this? Because I am paranoid about my GPA.

    *Adam makes no representation that this system matches any college and so
    if your GPA is higher/lower that's your problem. This is just how I
    figure it out and tends to be pretty close. :)

Games Video Games