what's the worst luck you've ever had?

I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into
an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY
annoying.

Nethacker wrote:
> I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into
> an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY
> annoying.

I once had a chameleon shift into an arch-lich (this was in Minetown)
long enough to curse my possessions to make me super-burdened
(overtaxed?) and unable to move; it then shifted into a crocodile to
finish me off.

Nethacker wrote:

> I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning
> into an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was
> REALLY annoying.

Please,

- don't put a subject only in the subject line, but *repeat* it in the
article;
- if you reply to someone else, *quote* what you're reacting to, and
*only* what you're reacting to; and
- put your replies under the text you're replying to; if you're reacting
to multiple parts of a message, split the original message.

Now, to answer to your message, I think you must have been way over
level 6 yourself or you have been descending too fast.

Polymorph traps don't appear until dungeon level eight, so you maight
consider descending more slowly.

I wouldn't count this as bad luck, but as not playing carefully enough.
Opinions on this may differ, of course.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Hmm.

I, too, got an arch-lich in the Mines just the other day. A polymorph
trap or a chameleon, I guess, I don't know what. I had checked the
level with telepathy earlier and found nothing to worry about; then I
was walking along, hit an arch-lich, and pressed the arrow key one more
time before my reflexes caught me. In that time, it summoned a
minotaur and a xorn which killed me before I could understand what
happened. Man, that was a good game too; wizard with two magic markers
and at least 13 spellbooks to play with. I was looking forward to it
once I got my luckstone; I've never before been able to write unknown
spellbooks with a Wizard.

I've died on T:1 from (I think) a falling rock trap adjacent to the
dungeon entrance. It's not really bad luck in the sense that I could
just start right over. But really, very unneccessary on the RNG's
part. I imagine a couple other people have had this experience.

Ooh, here's a recent one. I get lazy sometimes around nymphs; also I
hate them and wish to personally slash/bludgeon them to death whenever
possible. I was following one around the map trying to get my cloak of
magic resistance back; I ran into her in a dark tunnel so I didn't see
her coming, and she stole two items from me: my helmet and my wand of
death, and zapped me with the wand. Wouldn't have been any more than
an annoyance (wasted charges) if I had still had the cloak of magic
resistance, which was the ONLY other item she had stolen from me. The
world's craftiest nymph, or the RNG's most devious scheme.

Here's the last one I can remember, though it was my own fault. I
decided to tick off some Minetown guards to net a silver saber
(#twoweapon with Grayswandir) and a long sword (Excalibur).
Unfortunately I was unaware that though I could mop the floor with
ordinary watchmen, the watch captains could yet mop the floor with me.
I knew they were stronger, but...wow. I had two scrolls of
teleportation, but for some (certainly stupid) reason when I realized
my mistake, I decided to duck into a side room to try and make a stand,
and only teleport out if things got uglier. I think I even put a towel
around my head to check by telepathy if there were enemies inside, and
saw none. I knock down the door, and there is a dust vortex. It
blinds me before I can kill it, and now I can't read my scrolls. Death
comes shortly.

I take the blame for the last one, of course; I made so many ridiculous
mistakes in that event that I can't remember them all. But still...the
straw that broke the camel's back was a DUST VORTEX. Didn't see that
one coming.

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:08:53 -0700, Nethacker wrote:

> I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into an
> arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY annoying.

I'd be hard pressed to come up with this one. The time my first step put
me through a trap door and I was immediately killed by rothes comes to mind,
but I actually count a death like that as lucky since I didn't have time
to care yet about the character.

--
"We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting

Jym wrote:
> IIRC, you can read scrolls while blind, provided you've seen them before
> ("you pronounce the magic words" or something similar). I tried it in
> wizmode the other day and it worked.

Yes, I discovered that one by accident the other day. Went to read a
scroll of teleportation after being blinded by a magic trap when
running from a combat, did so, then momentarily realised it wasn't an
option, and was surprised to discover I was now at the other side of
the level. Took me a minute or two to figure out why it had worked.

Benjamin Schieder wrote:
> > What's the worst luck you've ever had?

> Probably that nice char that successfully did the mines,
> reached XL 10 and went to Sokoban to get reflection. The
> Woodland-Elf zaps an oak wand. The death ray hits you! You
> die... DYWYPI?

Death rays are a bit of a downer. My last character ended up
like that, too: one of the gents in the big room had a death
ray. When I first entered the big room, I wasn't too worried,
despite having aggrevate monster, since I was a priest with
spell casting high enough that I could successfully cast extra
healing without undressing. (I was actually expecting the level
with the steps up to Sokoban, instead of the big room. I'd
found speed boots early on, and a sack of holding in the mines,
and with a full panoplie of armor, including dwarven mithral, I
was hoping for reflection in Sokoban, and a good long run.)

Still, for pure bad luck... dropping though a trap door into the
big room, when I had aggrevate monster, was pretty nasty. (I
was a valk that time, so no spells. And no useful potions,
either.)

Seems that when I'm playing a dwarf or an elf, I tend to forget
the fact, and end up either eating my race, or sacrificing it on
an altar. I know how to recover from the sacrifice, although it
is a lot of work, but how does one get rid of aggrevate monster,
once one's got it?

--
James Kanze GABI Software

> What's the worst luck you've ever had?

Probably that nice char that successfully did the mines, reached XL 10 and went
to Sokoban to get reflection.
The Woodland-Elf zaps an oak wand.
The death ray hits you! You die... DYWYPI?

But I guess just about everyone has been there.

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
Benjamin 'blindCoder' Schieder
Registered Linux User #289529: http://counter.li.org

Nethacker wrote:
> what's the worst luck you've ever had?

Playing an orcish rogue . . . made it all the way to the Plane of
Water, then instadeath to deadly poison from a cobra. Poison danger
had never even crossed my mind, being an orc and all.

Apparently slogging through that horde of gremlins at night a few
thousand turns earlier wasn't such a good idea after all.

And then there's the time I ran across a demilich in the Mines, thanks
to a poly trap . . . he cursed my bag of holding, which contained all
my escape devices (wand of digging and scolls of teleport) . . . all of
which vaporized when I tried to loot it anyway.

Another bad one would be from before my first ascension . . . stepping
on my first land mine ever, while weilding a cockatrice corpse on DL45
or so. I think the RNG is determined to personally demonstrate to me
every possible preventable death.

Don't even remember what kind of character it was. Tried to loot a box
two steps off the stairs up: tower of flame. Scrolls burn, potions
explode, DYWYPI?.

I'd say you can't get much worse than that.

Ken Cuvelier wrote:

> Keith Davies wrote:
>> No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
>> nibbled to death by a newt.
>>
>> That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
>> 'bad luck', though.
>
> Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
> command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known level.
> If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing your
> movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel inconvenient,
> you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing guarantees you won't
> whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things to lower the probability
> that you will.

Also, most reasonably decent terminals will allow you to customize the
colours. You're free to brighten up the blue to something satisfactory.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> Here's the last one I can remember, though it was my own fault. I
> decided to tick off some Minetown guards to net a silver saber
> (#twoweapon with Grayswandir) and a long sword (Excalibur).
> Unfortunately I was unaware that though I could mop the floor with
> ordinary watchmen, the watch captains could yet mop the floor with me.
> I knew they were stronger, but...wow. I had two scrolls of
> teleportation, but for some (certainly stupid) reason when I realized
> my mistake, I decided to duck into a side room to try and make a stand,
> and only teleport out if things got uglier. I think I even put a towel
> around my head to check by telepathy if there were enemies inside, and
> saw none. I knock down the door, and there is a dust vortex. It
> blinds me before I can kill it, and now I can't read my scrolls. Death
> comes shortly.

IIRC, you can read scrolls while blind, provided you've seen them before
("you pronounce the magic words" or something similar). I tried it in
wizmode the other day and it worked.

This is indeed very surprising but rather useful to know...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:

> Don't even remember what kind of character it was. Tried to loot a box
> two steps off the stairs up: tower of flame. Scrolls burn, potions
> explode, DYWYPI?.
>
> I'd say you can't get much worse than that.

It can only get one step sooner than that, but is soonest
also worst? The worst luck I've had (player luck) is
after finding the vibrating square, returning to my stash
to do the final ascension kits preps to put stuff near
the level 1 staircase. Then I forgot that I'd just eaten,
overate, and choked to death just before gong down to
toast Rodney. The worst luck I've had (game luck) was
getting blocked by a boulder after opening the Castle
gate, having to deal with a minotaur from the maze,
and too many strong monsters pouring across the bridge.

The deepest bad luck is the worst in one view.

Well, if you examine the source correctly, there is a small instance
where you die on the first turn. It's in the source, seriously!

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:

> Seems that when I'm playing a dwarf or an elf, I tend to forget
> the fact, and end up either eating my race, or sacrificing it on
> an altar. I know how to recover from the sacrifice, although it
> is a lot of work, but how does one get rid of aggrevate monster,
> once one's got it?

I think the only way is to dance with gremlins at night (between 10 pm and
6 am). Not that I would advise doing so.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu <rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I take the blame for the last one, of course; I made so many ridiculous
> mistakes in that event that I can't remember them all. But still...the
> straw that broke the camel's back was a DUST VORTEX. Didn't see that
> one coming.

No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
nibbled to death by a newt.

That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
'bad luck', though.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:
> No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
> nibbled to death by a newt.
>
> That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
> 'bad luck', though.

Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known level.
If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing your
movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel inconvenient,
you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing guarantees you won't
whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things to lower the probability
that you will.

-Ken

Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:
>> No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
>> nibbled to death by a newt.
>>
>> That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
>> 'bad luck', though.
>
> Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
> command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known
> level. If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing
> your movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel
> inconvenient, you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing
> guarantees you won't whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things
> to lower the probability that you will.

I never pretype movement -- Bad Things Happen. It's more a matter of
hitting a tricky part (wanting a particular path through, say) and not
catching the e in time.

Simple insufficient attention. Or, in some cases, being chased and
hoping for the best ("okay, hallway blocked by an e, I can often oneshot
them... doing this *right* will get me killed, so..."). That doesn't
lead to death by newt, mind, but it is a reason I'll sometimes charge an
eye.

Keith

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
> Ken Cuvelier wrote:
>
>> Keith Davies wrote:
>>> No, insulting is accidentally walking into a floating eye and being
>>> nibbled to death by a newt.
>>>
>>> That dark blue e is hard to see. I file this under 'YASD' rather than
>>> 'bad luck', though.
>>
>> Perhaps more avoidable if you can train yourself to use the travel
>> command whenever you are going from point A to point B on a known level.
>> If you're exploring the unknown, you should not be pre-typing your
>> movement commands. For the cases where traps make travel inconvenient,
>> you just need to slow down your movement. Nothing guarantees you won't
>> whack an "e" anyway, but you can do some things to lower the probability
>> that you will.
>
> Also, most reasonably decent terminals will allow you to customize the
> colours. You're free to brighten up the blue to something satisfactory.

I keep meaning to, actually. I just never *do*. I.e. YASD.

I claim full responsibility. It's just that getting nibbled to death by
a newt is *insulting*. Getting frozen, then smashed by something big
that you didn't realize was there (or just spawned)... that's one thing.
But a *newt*!

It's almost as bad as choking on a wraith, but that one, really, you
bring on yourself. A newt is, in a way, bad luck (in that that's all
that showed up).

Keith

delcantheodd@msn.com <delcantheodd@msn.com> wrote:
> Don't even remember what kind of character it was. Tried to loot a box
> two steps off the stairs up: tower of flame. Scrolls burn, potions
> explode, DYWYPI?.
>
> I'd say you can't get much worse than that.

Rock trap, first move.

Keith

Just now. On my way out of Sokoban. Around a corner I turn.

The death ray hits you - more-

DYWYPI?

It's not like my character was hurt, or hungry, or burdened, or poorly
armoured, or unarmed ... bah.

--

JPD

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <slrndaje0o.rqm.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

>I had a really promising wizard, fell through a trap door. I found some
>stairs up, into a throneroom with a troll and an Olog-hai...

Yeah, I hate getting thrown into a room with Elbereth-respcting monsters too.

Nethacker wrote:
> what's the worst luck you've ever had?

Had the double trouble Wizard, one steal my MR confering quest artifact,
the other applying the finger of death against me. Good team play! That
was already on the Elemental Planes, fire level.

Or my BoH full of all the ascension stuff deep down at Molochs Sanctum
eaten by some creature. (Well, may count as plain stupidity.)

Or another Boh with all the stuff down in Gehennom, picked up by my tame
pet who was between me and a black dragon and disintegrated immediately
after picking it up.

Having Medusa level full, really *full*, of gremlins all _peaceful_; me
trapped on some island and no progress possible.

As a low level character fell quite early through one trapdoor after
the other while trying to find the respective upstairs. Finally found
me around level 15-20 with some typical creatures that you can't handle.

In early days... Dying from starvation after offering all the corpses
to finally obtain Greyswandir at the moment when you'd need the #pray
to become satiated.

Changing an artifact weapon for a cockatrice to instant kill that demon
which actually was some foocubus who, in the first attack that he got,
decided to take off my gauntlets. (Partly bad luck, partly stupidity.)

Low on HP's need to drink extra healing which resultet in a djinni who
granted me a wish just in the turn before I died. (A wish - what a luck!)

Ahh, you asked for the worst?! - The first one, because I've built up
that character for a long while and died quite instantly and was close
to ascension.

Janis

Kevin R wrote:
> Nethacker wrote:
>
>> I think mine is a gnome stepping onto a polymorph trap and turning into
>> an arch-lich. I was only like lvl 6 or something, and it was REALLY
>> annoying.
>
> I once had a chameleon shift into an arch-lich (this was in Minetown)
> long enough to curse my possessions to make me super-burdened
> (overtaxed?) and unable to move; it then shifted into a crocodile to
> finish me off.

The time I had such chamaeleon/lich situation I think I successfully
engraved the E-word, then after a while killed the chamaeleon in the
shape of some jackal or so. To avoid the cursing you'd drop the bag
(and any unicorn horn) next time.

Janis

james <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:
> In article <slrndaje0o.rqm.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>
>>I had a really promising wizard, fell through a trap door. I found some
>>stairs up, into a throneroom with a troll and an Olog-hai...
>
> Yeah, I hate getting thrown into a room with Elbereth-respcting
> monsters too.

I didn't see anything there I couldn't kill and decided to go for it --
and hopefully find the stairs so I could run if I needed to. I got
surrounded and butchered before I could E-word.

I'm not sure how useful Elbereth would've been, though, unless they
would've opened the door and left (do they? dunno); getting through
probably would've been difficult.

Anyway, I checked, there's a nice happy bones file for when I get back
down there.

Keith