Retail or OEM

G

Well guys I have been thinking a lot and decided to switch to AMD (from P3). I am going to buy 1.33 Ghz OEM (because it's cheaper) but somebody told me that Retail box is better for overclocking. I don't care about warranty at all or heat (if it's the issue) i'm using water cooled 172 Watt peltiers....I can connect L1 bridges myself...
So what is it that makes retail CPU better then OEM ???
Thank you for you help...

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Some people, for some reason, believe that when you buy a Retail CPU you are guaranteed one with copper interconnects.... however this is not true, you have the same chance as getting a copper when you buy retail as wheen you buy OEM. But all 1.33GHz's are copper anyways so it doesn't really matter. by the way, I would wait for the 1.4Ghz cpus if I were you, they overclock better than the 1.33s.

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed

G

I thought about it also i mean about waiting for 1.4 but according to some review i read (can't remember where) the proc does not have thermal sensor in it...so i have to use external temperature monitoring. And the other thing is , what is the AYHJA stepping how does it improve overclocking except lowering the temperature by 8 degrees. I am really new to AMD but how far can i push multiplier and core voltage...How would you advise to overclock it, first push FSB to max or Multiplier or both a little and in what proportion...???
Thanks again...

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The processor itself doesn't have the thermal sensor, it's the motherboard you buy. Most motherboards have it built in.

The AYHJA stepping is another core "revision", (rumored). You could probably overclock (not guaranteeing anything) to at least 1.6GHz, probably above if you're using 172watt peltiers. I always like to push the FSB first, it's really a matter of personal preference.

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed

G

if you have have the PET just get a AXIA chip 1ghz
unlock it (already done on 'C' type 266mhz)
go freaking ballistic
send frugger and meltdown your benchmarks
sitback and LOL...................

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining

G

What do you mean by "waiting for 1.4"? It's already in stores! :)

Leo