System battery question

I have an 8300 less than a year old. I went ahead and installed the SP2
update a couple of days ago. After installing, I started to get a (System
Battery Getting Low) message at startup. Press F1 to continue of F2 to
enter system setup. Isn't it pretty rare to have a system battery go bad
after only one year? Has anyone else heard of this problem after installing
SP2? Any Thoughts?
7 answers Last reply
More about system battery question

    I was getting this message on my 8300 after only two or three months. Update
    your BIOS.

    "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    >I have an 8300 less than a year old. I went ahead and installed the SP2
    >update a couple of days ago. After installing, I started to get a (System
    >Battery Getting Low) message at startup. Press F1 to continue of F2 to
    >enter system setup. Isn't it pretty rare to have a system battery go bad
    >after only one year? Has anyone else heard of this problem after
    >installing SP2? Any Thoughts?

    Thanks Much. That did the trick.
    >I was getting this message on my 8300 after only two or three months.
    >Update your BIOS.
    >
    > "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an 8300 less than a year old. I went ahead and installed the SP2
    >>update a couple of days ago. After installing, I started to get a (System
    >>Battery Getting Low) message at startup. Press F1 to continue of F2 to
    >>enter system setup. Isn't it pretty rare to have a system battery go bad
    >>after only one year? Has anyone else heard of this problem after
    >>installing SP2? Any Thoughts?

    It apears I've spoken to soon, have started getting the same low voltage
    warning again. Is this a standard 3.3v battery. And will I have to reenter
    my bios settings after replacing the battery? Thanks
    > Thanks Much. That did the trick.
    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I was getting this message on my 8300 after only two or three months.
    >>Update your BIOS.
    >>
    >> "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have an 8300 less than a year old. I went ahead and installed the SP2
    >>>update a couple of days ago. After installing, I started to get a (System
    >>>Battery Getting Low) message at startup. Press F1 to continue of F2 to
    >>>enter system setup. Isn't it pretty rare to have a system battery go bad
    >>>after only one year? Has anyone else heard of this problem after
    >>>installing SP2? Any Thoughts?

    general battery replacement doesn't require anything except just
    replacing....usually. I too would have a hard time believing that a
    lithium battery would be going out after only a year. Hell I just replaced
    the one on our Gateway desktop and it is 6 years old.

    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:

    >general battery replacement doesn't require anything except just
    >replacing....usually. I too would have a hard time believing that a
    >lithium battery would be going out after only a year. Hell I just replaced
    >the one on our Gateway desktop and it is 6 years old.

    Granted, batteries probably suffer fewer, percentage-wise, than
    other electric/electronic components, but all are subject to
    "infant" failure early in the bell curves that constitute MTBF
    and/or Mean Life. Remember, *someone's* battery has to fall at
    the one-year point of the mean life curve.
    --
    OJ III

    I updated the BIOS on my 8300 and never saw that message again.

    "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    > It apears I've spoken to soon, have started getting the same low voltage
    > warning again. Is this a standard 3.3v battery. And will I have to reenter
    > my bios settings after replacing the battery? Thanks
    > "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Much. That did the trick.
    >> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I was getting this message on my 8300 after only two or three months.
    >>>Update your BIOS.
    >>>
    >>> "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message

    "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    >I have an 8300 less than a year old. I went ahead and installed the SP2
    >update a couple of days ago. After installing, I started to get a (System
    >Battery Getting Low) message at startup. Press F1 to continue of F2 to
    >enter system setup. Isn't it pretty rare to have a system battery go bad
    >after only one year? Has anyone else heard of this problem after
    >installing SP2? Any Thoughts?

    Here is a long thread about this problem at Dell Community Forums:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_bios&message.id=22620&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

    Doug

Dell Battery Computers