Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cloning W7 to a completely diff. comp.

Last response: in Windows 7
May 10, 2010 2:49:25 PM

Hey guys,

I hope this is the right forum section to ask - as a very amateur enthusiast, I've found the TH Community to be very helpful and insightful.

I want to clone W7 on my Latitude D830 to a custom built desktop I will be building soon. I've cloned this system image before when I upgraded the Latitude's HDD from 160GB to 500GB, but this is obviously different.

The question: Is this possible because the hardware makeup will be completely different on the custom built PC.

Also, I would probably want to run the BIOS that comes with the new Mobo as I will likely be OC'ing, will that be a problem?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 10, 2010 3:59:46 PM

Sashmo99 said:
The question: Is this possible because the hardware makeup will be completely different on the custom built PC.
It might be possible. Generic Win7 driver support is pretty good. You'd want to proceed carefully of course.
If I was trying this I'd shrink (resize) the desktop's primary disk partition, create a 2nd bootable partition and install the laptop iso image there.
Essentially, you're creating a dual boot OS on the desktop.
I use Easeus Partition Master Home Edition for managing my partitions.
and EasyBCD for managing my multi-boot options.
May 10, 2010 4:25:00 PM

Thanks WR2. Thats a really good idea. I'm trying to save money by not having to buy W7 all over again, but who knows.

I've used Easeus Partition Master, as well as Easeus Todo Backup to do the cloning. Any particular reason you went with EasyBCD?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 10, 2010 5:21:12 PM

Only that it makes things easier when you're using Win7, Vista, XP and Linux all on the same machine.
XP and Vista/Win7 use different boot loaders and can cause a moment of panic if you're not away of whats going on.
May 20, 2010 1:32:30 PM

Best answer selected by Sashmo99.
!