one wish left

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

"Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number?
.... Commit it then to the flames..." - Hume

OK, I'll bite.

anon wrote:
> --

Err, technical issues? or did you mean to post a blank message
implying you didn't know what to wish for and wanted suggestions? In
that case nobody can really help without knowing what kind of good
stuff you already have.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

With one wish left in the Castle wand, my orcish barbarian now has
SDSM, gauntlets of power, amulet of reflection, cloak of displacement,
BoH, helm of brilliance (which didn't raise his intelligence as I'd
hoped) and speed boots. Any suggestions as to what to spend my last
wish on? (I'm leaning toward a PYEC or awand of polymorph). Thanks in
advance.

anon wrote:
> helm of brilliance (which didn't raise his intelligence as I'd
> hoped)

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but in case you're unfamiliar with
the HoB, its enchantment level is the number of bonus (or penalty)
points your character will get to intelligence and wisdom. Looks to me
like you may want a magic marker and a heap of unlabeled scrolls in
order to ID/enchant your armor.

-Ken

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, anon wrote:

> With one wish left in the Castle wand, my orcish barbarian now has
> SDSM, gauntlets of power, amulet of reflection, cloak of displacement,
> BoH, helm of brilliance (which didn't raise his intelligence as I'd
> hoped) and speed boots. Any suggestions as to what to spend my last
> wish on? (I'm leaning toward a PYEC or awand of polymorph). Thanks in
> advance.

SDSM + amulet of reflection ? a bit redundant.
Nothing to provide MR. You've found your wish...
(I will personally go for cloak of MR in order to keep SDSM and being able
to wear AoLS when found, cloak of displacment is funny but only as MC2.)

PYEC is neutral while orcish are chaotic, no ? So forget about it.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

anon@anonn.com wrote:

> With one wish left in the Castle wand, my orcish barbarian now has
> SDSM, gauntlets of power, amulet of reflection, cloak of displacement,
> BoH, helm of brilliance (which didn't raise his intelligence as I'd
> hoped) and speed boots. Any suggestions as to what to spend my last
> wish on? (I'm leaning toward a PYEC or awand of polymorph). Thanks in
> advance.

Did you mean GDSM? You appear to have two sources of reflection but no MR.

If I have extra wishes to burn they often go to magic markers.

A helm of brilliance will raise your intelligence by the number of plusses
to which it's enchanted, up to the maximum for your race.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

> PYEC is neutral while orcish are chaotic, no ? So forget about it.

That wouldn't matter, would it? Doesn't it only look for class instead
of Alignment? Because my Chaotic Wizard is using the Eyes of
Aeothipica, and it should only look for class. I also managed to find a
Master Key of Thievery in a bonesfile, and it did blast me when I
picked it up, but it certainly wasn't fatal. I do remember, however,
that trying summon a Staff of Aesculapius with an earlier wizard -was-
fatal. Either it was fatal or I was just really weak and it hit me with
too much power.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:30:25 +0200, Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

> SDSM + amulet of reflection ? a bit redundant.

Ack, sorry, it's actually GDSM, and I even have a cloak of MR lying
around as backup.

> PYEC is neutral while orcish are chaotic, no ? So forget about it.

Thanks, I didn't know that you had to be the same alignment. How useful
is polyselfing in the late game? (I only have a ring of polymorph, but
I'm thinking I can get two wishes with the "wresting the last charge"
trick, and get both unchanging and polymorph control) I also would like
a saddle - is that worth wishing for?

anon <anon@anonn.com> wrote in news:42aaf0f8$0$17331$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> Thanks, I didn't know that you had to be the same alignment. How useful
> is polyselfing in the late game? (I only have a ring of polymorph, but
> I'm thinking I can get two wishes with the "wresting the last charge"
> trick, and get both unchanging and polymorph control) I also would like
> a saddle - is that worth wishing for?

Polyself isn't very useful at all. A saddle also is not very useful
unless you have ways of taming flying pets.

Do you have everything else you otherwise need for finishing? 7 candles?

I would rather even keep the wand at 1:1 for emergency use for a while.
What if Demogorgon shows up? Take out the wand and get yourself a quick
blessed greased partially eaten cockatrice corpse (for style, of course)
and take care of demo that way. This, of course, assumes that one did not
genocide 'c' which can be a mistake if you end up in an Arhcon summoning
storm.

Other things that come in handy for the endgame if you have not found them
are a =oLevitation, =oConflict, =oSlowDigestion and a =oFreeAction. The
free action is mainly to prevent a potion of paralysis from ruining your
day on astral. I would hold off on a /oPolymorph until you've been thru
Gehennom. You can always polypile all the other useless
rings/scrolls/magical tools if you don't otherwise get a magic marker to
use.

Anyway. My castle wand this game is at 0:1 and has no plans of getting
used. It appears I'll have to polypile some items, but that is a bit more
fun than just flat out wishing for what I need.

Have a good time trying to figure out to use the 1:1 wish now or not.

-sawtooth

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> A helm of brilliance will raise your intelligence

...and Wisdom...

> by the number of plusses
> to which it's enchanted, up to the maximum for your race.

It isn't capped at racial max.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Magus Zeal wrote:

> > PYEC is neutral while orcish are chaotic, no ? So forget about it.
>
> That wouldn't matter, would it? Doesn't it only look for class instead
> of Alignment?

Different class + different alignement => cannot grab the artefact.
Different class + same alignement => (risk of) blast.

> Because my Chaotic Wizard is using the Eyes of Aeothipica, and it should
> only look for class.

For multi-alignment classes, your quest artefact is always modified in
order to match your starting alignement. Alignement of quest artefacts
only matters fir ither classes.

> I also managed to find a Master Key of Thievery in a bonesfile, and it
> did blast me when I picked it up, but it certainly wasn't fatal.

MKoT is a chaotic artefact, so if you're chaotic you only risk a blast.

> I do remember, however,
> that trying summon a Staff of Aesculapius with an earlier wizard -was-
> fatal. Either it was fatal or I was just really weak and it hit me with
> too much power.

All of this, of course, only deals with intellignet artefacts (all quest
artefacts are). See the artefact spoiler for details.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

sawtooth wrote:

> Other things that come in handy for the endgame if you have not found
> them are a =oLevitation, =oConflict, =oSlowDigestion and a
> =oFreeAction.

Pray tell, what's the use of a ring of slow digestion in the late game?

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Jym wrote:

> Different class + different alignement => cannot grab the artefact.
> Different class + same alignement => (risk of) blast.

And same class + different alignment => (risk of) blast.

Only same class and alignment => no blast whatsoever.

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Jym wrote:
[Quest Artifacts]
>>Different class + different alignement => cannot grab the artefact.
>>Different class + same alignement => (risk of) blast.
>
> And same class + different alignment => (risk of) blast.

Is this even possible? Artifacts that are made for your class (quest
artifacts and guaranteed sac-gifts) are always of your alignment? Or are
they just always of your starting alignment or the alignment you have
when you get them? Which makes me think: If you play a chaotic wizard,
convert to neutral and get MB from saccing, will you get blasted?

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

`
>> And same class + different alignment => (risk of) blast.

> Is this even possible? Artifacts that are made for your class (quest
> artifacts and guaranteed sac-gifts) are always of your alignment? Or
> are they just always of your starting alignment or the alignment you
> have when you get them? Which makes me think: If you play a chaotic
> wizard, convert to neutral and get MB from saccing, will you get
> blasted?

Magicbane isn't intelligent, so it won't blast you.

However, if you get your Quest artefact, and subsequently get converted
(either completely or by helm of opposite alignment), the artifact
*will* blast you when you try to pick it up.

I'm not sure if it will also blast you when you try to invoke it.

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
>>If you play a chaotic
>>wizard, convert to neutral and get MB from saccing, will you get
>>blasted?
>
> Magicbane isn't intelligent, so it won't blast you.

Yes, but would it blast you if it was? I think my question really is: If
a chaotic wizard gets MB after converting to neutral, will MB be chaotic
or neutral?

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:

>>> If you play a chaotic wizard, convert to neutral and get MB from
>>> saccing, will you get blasted?

>> Magicbane isn't intelligent, so it won't blast you.

> Yes, but would it blast you if it was? I think my question really is:
> If a chaotic wizard gets MB after converting to neutral, will MB be
> chaotic or neutral?

I did a little test in wizard mode. Started up a neutral wizard (since
onverting to chaotic is easier than converting to neutral), wished for a
helm of opposite alignment, put it on, and became chaotic.

Then wished for Magicbane. I got it, and it didn't blast me. I dropped
it, and it didn't blast me. Dropped it again, it didn't blast me.
Dropped it once more and got blasted.

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> sawtooth wrote:
>
>>Other things that come in handy for the endgame if you have not found
>>them are a =oLevitation, =oConflict, =oSlowDigestion and a
>>=oFreeAction.
>
> Pray tell, what's the use of a ring of slow digestion in the late game?

It could have reduced Famine's attack, but the code seems not to support
that thought.

Janis

anon wrote:

> With one wish left in the Castle wand, my orcish barbarian now has
> SDSM, gauntlets of power, amulet of reflection, cloak of displacement,
> BoH, helm of brilliance (which didn't raise his intelligence as I'd
> hoped)

[oB needs to be +1 or better for that to happen. At this
point yours must be +0. Enchant it to the max. Same with
all of your armor.

> and speed boots. Any suggestions as to what to spend my last
> wish on? (I'm leaning toward a PYEC or awand of polymorph). Thanks in
> advance.

Some folks like displacement, some don't. I value the
MC=3 cloaks more. Since you have MR from GDSM (correction
in another post noted) and reflection from the amulet,
the item I'd value most is MC=3. Robe for spells, not
entirely pointless with a barbarian but almost pointless,
elven cloak for the nasty style statement, protection for
the AC.

To complete your armor kit add a teeshirt or Hawaiian
shirt. You don't mention your weaponry so if you have
seen very few artifacts maybe try for a good one.

If you can't think of over cool stuff, one thing to go
for before descending to take out Rodney is a
blessed rustproof +2 athame. Not for combat, to etch
the E word. It works on enough types of monsters to be
worth having as an option.

Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp00@web.de> writes:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > Jym wrote:
> [Quest Artifacts]
> >>Different class + different alignement => cannot grab the artefact.
> >>Different class + same alignement => (risk of) blast.
> >
> > And same class + different alignment => (risk of) blast.
>
> Is this even possible?

HoOA after the Quest, or convert after Quest.

Which leads me to wonder if..
[wiztest]

Interesting. If you wish for a coaligned quest artifact,
then change alignment, the artifact stays in your inv
until you want to manipulate it; then it evades your grasp.
[Tested with tourist, Heart of Ahriman and HoOA]. That's
maybe interesting for people who want to do an artifact
collection ascension.

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp00@web.de> writes:
>
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > > Jym wrote:
> > [Quest Artifacts]
> > >
> > > And same class + different alignment => (risk of) blast.
> >
> > Is this even possible?
>
> HoOA after the Quest, or convert after Quest.
>
> Which leads me to wonder if..
> [wiztest]
>
> Interesting. If you wish for a coaligned quest artifact,
> then change alignment, the artifact stays in your inv
> until you want to manipulate it; then it evades your grasp.
> [Tested with tourist, Heart of Ahriman and HoOA]. That's
> maybe interesting for people who want to do an artifact
> collection ascension.

It's even funnier; the artifact is noted to 'evade your grasp',
but *stays* in your inventory. Looks like a bug to me.

Best,
Jakob

"Magus Zeal" <maguszeal@gmail.com> writes:

> > PYEC is neutral while orcish are chaotic, no ? So forget about it.
>
> That wouldn't matter, would it? Doesn't it only look for class instead
> of Alignment? Because my Chaotic Wizard is using the Eyes of
> Aeothipica, and it should only look for class.

Your own Quest artifact is re-aligned to match your
starting alignment, if necessary. The other Quest
Artifacts have the default alignment and act like
intelligent artifacts: One difference in the class/
alignment combo gives a blast each time you try to
use it, difference in both class and alignment gives
you additionally the 'evades your grasp' message, and
the artifact lands on the floor.

[Blasting simply yields some HP drain, no instakill, btw.]

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig wrote:

>> Interesting. If you wish for a coaligned quest artifact, then change
>> alignment, the artifact stays in your inv until you want to manipulate
>> it; then it evades your grasp. [Tested with tourist, Heart of Ahriman
>> and HoOA]. That's maybe interesting for people who want to do an
>> artifact collection ascension.
>
> It's even funnier; the artifact is noted to 'evade your grasp', but
> *stays* in your inventory. Looks like a bug to me.

Perhaps, but the character is not "grasping" everything in his or her
current inventory.

--

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>
> >> Interesting. If you wish for a coaligned quest artifact, then change
> >> alignment, the artifact stays in your inv until you want to manipulate
> >> it; then it evades your grasp. [Tested with tourist, Heart of Ahriman
> >> and HoOA]. That's maybe interesting for people who want to do an
> >> artifact collection ascension.
>
> > It's even funnier; the artifact is noted to 'evade your grasp', but
> > *stays* in your inventory. Looks like a bug to me.
>
> Perhaps, but the character is not "grasping" everything in his or her
> current inventory.

I don't think it's a bug. It takes grasping to get
soemthing into your inventory, but the game does mention
a backpack. When eggs hatch the baby monster comes out
of your backpack.

So what events imply grasping? I can think of picking up,
wielding, wearing (W), putting on (P), reading, zapping,
applying, invoking. Maybe looting but no artifact is a
container.

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> writes:

["The foo evades your grasp!"]

> So what events imply grasping? I can think of picking up,
> wielding, wearing (W), putting on (P), reading, zapping,
> applying, invoking. Maybe looting but no artifact is a
> container.

Nor zappable nor readable (the Book of the Dead is not an artifact).
Stealing (for nymphs, or with a bullwhip) is the other major case in
which touch_artifact() gets called.

: "At the sushi counter of life, you must use the chopsticks of ambition :
: to grab the sashimi of accomplishment or you will be left with the :
: wasabi of disappointment." -- Dan Shiovitz :