YANI: Ice cave level

From another thread:

>> If carrying meatloaf when entering Fort Ludios, the alarm changes to or is
>> accompanied by "Someone shrieks "Eddie!'"
>> ("One from the vaults.")
>Hmmm... there's no 'ice vault', is there?

When you arrive in this level, the first thing you do is slip and fall on the ice. As you move around the level, you continue to have a chance to slip and fall and move d6 in a random direction.

With the exception of possibly a few boulders, this looks like the Bigroom. But, as you move around, you run into walls -- since the ice is perfectly clear; except where you see reflections. So of course all monsters would show in multiple reflections (wear blindfold or be confused for d6 turns if more than 2d6 monsters in view?).

All fire effects; eg melting; would only be effective d6 turns. All potions not in a bag, box, or sack would have a random chance of freezing and exploding. Corpses would not rot. Without cold resistance, a PC would take d3 damage per turn.

Monsters would consist of blue jellys, floating eyes, ice trolls, white dragons, etc.

The downstairs room would have a constant wind blowing the PC away from the stairs. The icy blast would be coming from the mouth of a face on the wall. (Females would be immune to the cold of this wind?) Iron hooks and pickaxes could be useful here to pull against the wind. Carrying the Amulet would make you "wind proof".

Of course, this would be a no dig (down) level.

Any other suggestions?

Why would females not be affected?

Other than that sounds good. Of course, having Snow Boots would make it
so you could walk across the ice very easily.

Ah, I see. And heh, I know about Snow Boots pretty well, since I've
been working with my latest character for a few months now (slowly),
and those Speed Boots that I have, which translate to "Snow Boots", I
treasure, since they've made my life a heck of a lot easier.

Magus Zeal wrote:

>Why would females not be affected?
>
>Other than that sounds good. Of course, having Snow Boots would make it
>so you could walk across the ice very easily.

SNOW BOOTS! Now I know what was tickling the back of my mind.

The female thing is from some SF movie I saw for which I cannot remember
the name, the purpose of the quest, the name of the god....except seeing
that cold wind blow her clothes about. Something about only a woman
could warm the heart of a god lost in his lonliness....

Gary Olson wrote:
> From another thread:
>>
>> Hmmm... there's no 'ice vault', is there?
>
> With the exception of possibly a few boulders, this looks like the
> Bigroom. But, as you move around, you run into walls -- since the ice is
> perfectly clear; except where you see reflections. So of course all
> monsters would show in multiple reflections (wear blindfold or be
> confused for d6 turns if more than 2d6 monsters in view?).

I like the concept of reflection as a new type of displacement effect;
casually popping up creatures (and your character) at some distance,
even in multiple directions. :cool:

Depending on the cave geometry? - Might not be apparent how to achieve
high performance in the math calculations. Some random reflections then?

Janis

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com wrote:
> I like the concept of reflection as a new type of displacement effect;
> casually popping up creatures (and your character) at some distance,
> even in multiple directions. :cool:

Yes, could be a spell effect, similar to the Mirror Image spell in the
game that Nethack is not.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis wrote:
> Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I like the concept of reflection as a new type of displacement effect;
> > casually popping up creatures (and your character) at some distance,
> > even in multiple directions. :cool:
>
> Yes, could be a spell effect, similar to the Mirror Image spell in the
> game that Nethack is not.
>
> -- A.
>
> --
> My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com
>
> Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

It may be overdone, but maybe a level that you can see the entirty of
(like Sokoban) and slide in whatever direction you move in until you
hit something. A puzzle type thing...