Slash'Em questions

Hi all,

I have recently started playing Slash'Em, being tempted by shorter
Gehennom, shopkeepers being able to identify things etc. My current
character, a vampire Rogue, is doing quite well, having found Sunsword
randomly generated and a hardware store with two lamps priced at 2663
and 3554 which I imagine are magic. I have brought the cheaper one, and
when I find an altar I will b/u/c check it.

My questions are:

1. What would be a good wish? In vanilla, I would use it on probably
GDSM and a "oR or BoH depending on what sokoban gave me. I'm tempted to
go for a =oSD, as these corpses don't seem to be filling me up much -
would that be a stupid thing to wish for?

2. I found Sunsword randomly generated on level 5, the lowest I've been
so far. This character is one of the first I've had get that far, and
in the first 50 characters ever in Slash'Em. Is the artifact generation
rate the same as in vanilla, or am I more likely to find Frost Brand
lying on the floor in Slash'Em?

3. Why is Sunsword not lit up when I wield it? I thought it did in
vanilla, but I've only had it once before.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Replies inline:

> I have recently started playing Slash'Em, being tempted by shorter
> Gehennom, shopkeepers being able to identify things etc.

Welcome to the jungle. I hope it'll thrill ya and hope it won't kill ya
(but I know better).

> My current character, a vampire Rogue, is doing quite well, having
> found Sunsword randomly generated and a hardware store with two lamps
> priced at 2663 and 3554 which I imagine are magic. I have brought the
> cheaper one, and when I find an altar I will b/u/c check it.

I would find a way to steal the other one if you can

> 1. What would be a good wish? In vanilla, I would use it on probably
> GDSM and a "oR or BoH depending on what sokoban gave me. I'm tempted to
> go for a =oSD, as these corpses don't seem to be filling me up much -
> would that be a stupid thing to wish for?

=oSD is not a stupid wish at all at the stage where you are now. If you
find it hard to keep from getting hungry all the time, go for it. At the
very least it will let you save those prayer timeouts for better uses.
But at the same time, the other items you listed are often my first wish
choices as well.

> 2. I found Sunsword randomly generated on level 5, the lowest I've been
> so far. This character is one of the first I've had get that far, and
> in the first 50 characters ever in Slash'Em. Is the artifact generation
> rate the same as in vanilla, or am I more likely to find Frost Brand
> lying on the floor in Slash'Em?

Unlikely in my experience. There are times you see the random artifact,
but it's not like they are growing on Ye Olde Relic Bushe (YANI!!).

> 3. Why is Sunsword not lit up when I wield it? I thought it did in
> vanilla, but I've only had it once before.

Maybe because you are a Vamp...not sure since I have not ever actually
used Sunsword. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest seeing as how
Sunsword is anti-undead anyway? Don't you get blasted?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 hepcaten@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have recently started playing Slash'Em, being tempted by shorter
> Gehennom, shopkeepers being able to identify things etc. My current
> character, a vampire Rogue, is doing quite well, having found Sunsword
> randomly generated and a hardware store with two lamps priced at 2663
> and 3554 which I imagine are magic. I have brought the cheaper one, and
> when I find an altar I will b/u/c check it.

Try to teal them, pet are here for that... And that's also a great way to
build a huge amount and credit with a shopkeeper... If you need thing to
be identified... (in my latest game, I didn't found scroll of ID before
mine's end... the first one was use to ID diamond and emerald (3 of each,
glasses being pseudo-ided via unicorn), hello shopkeeper, don't bother
with these cats wandering around "your" gems and please tell me what my
stuff is)

> My questions are:
>
> 1. What would be a good wish? In vanilla, I would use it on probably
> GDSM and a "oR or BoH depending on what sokoban gave me. I'm tempted to
> go for a =oSD, as these corpses don't seem to be filling me up much -
> would that be a stupid thing to wish for?

For vampires, =oSD are really usefull indeed. Else you need to go in the
middle of the fight to eat. Take it off when going in a big fight, that
will keep your level-drain attack useable.

Another usefull wish could be medecine bag. The draw blood technique will
allow you at the same time to prepare food and keep your level low. By
mass-blessing potions of vampire-blood you will even get higher HP when
you'll reach the same level again !

Either, same whishes as in vanilla are generally nice. Notice that there
exists some artefact version of some usual wishes, working slightly better
than the regular objet. Typiclly, wish for the wallet of Perseus instead
of BoH (better weight reduction), Whisperfeet instead of speed boots
(stealth) or gauntlets of defense instead of gauntlets of dexterity (half
physical damage).

> 2. I found Sunsword randomly generated on level 5, the lowest I've been
> so far. This character is one of the first I've had get that far, and
> in the first 50 characters ever in Slash'Em. Is the artifact generation
> rate the same as in vanilla, or am I more likely to find Frost Brand
> lying on the floor in Slash'Em?

I think it's the same as in vanilla. Slash'em is not known to be kinder
than nethack...

> 3. Why is Sunsword not lit up when I wield it? I thought it did in
> vanilla, but I've only had it once before.

Don't know.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Some more Slashem questions, Ive been playing slash'em for a while, and
have gotten a hang of most of the roles... just not the monk, because
of its confusing #techniques, but as Ive been told its one of the
easier characters in Slash'em, thought Id give it a try.

My question is, is there a chain blitz that is superior to other
combinations? My ill-informed guess would be:

Chi Strike
Chi Strike
Pummell
Ground slam
Ground slam??

I welcome any other sugestions (and yes, I have read the spoilers, but
still a little confused).

Also, when a chain blitz is used, is it only the chain blitz technique
that times out, or all the other techniques that are used in it time
out as well?

Also, been told that monks do more bare handed damage in slashem. Is
this true? If so how much more, and is it worth going barehand compared
to having a weapon in early/late game?

Thanks,

Marky Mark

Phlimm wrote:
> Replies inline:

> > 2. I found Sunsword randomly generated on level 5, the lowest I've been
> > so far. This character is one of the first I've had get that far, and
> > in the first 50 characters ever in Slash'Em. Is the artifact generation
> > rate the same as in vanilla, or am I more likely to find Frost Brand
> > lying on the floor in Slash'Em?
>
> Unlikely in my experience. There are times you see the random artifact,
> but it's not like they are growing on Ye Olde Relic Bushe (YANI!!).

Speaking of artifact weapon, Im playing my first slashem monk (lawful
hobbit), and so far, I found Vorpal Blade (which I stole) and
Ogersmasher in a weapons store in lv 2, had a bit of a sac fest on an
alter on dlv 4 and got gauntlets of defense and then not long after
Frost brand, then in a general store in dlv 6 (mall), I found and stole
Graswandir! All of this and Ive only explored up to dlv 6, and havent
entered the mines yet! Pitty Ive got a Monk who is restricted in most
things (though my god has kindly un-restricted me from long sword).

Given this good luck, should I try and enchant these weapons up and use
one of them... (prob froty, as its now unresrticted), or stay bare
handed? Dont know a whole lot about slashem monks

Also, why is the chained blitz so damn complicated!! Twice Ive tried it
and gotten the 'you stumble' message... grr!

Marky Mark

Phlimm wrote:
> Replies inline:

> > 2. I found Sunsword randomly generated on level 5, the lowest I've been
> > so far. This character is one of the first I've had get that far, and
> > in the first 50 characters ever in Slash'Em. Is the artifact generation
> > rate the same as in vanilla, or am I more likely to find Frost Brand
> > lying on the floor in Slash'Em?
>
> Unlikely in my experience. There are times you see the random artifact,
> but it's not like they are growing on Ye Olde Relic Bushe (YANI!!).

Speaking of artifact weapon, Im playing my first slashem monk (lawful
hobbit), and so far, I found Vorpal Blade (which I stole) and
Ogersmasher in a weapons store in lv 2, had a bit of a sac fest on an
alter on dlv 4 and got gauntlets of defense and then not long after
Frost brand, then in a general store in dlv 6 (mall), I found and stole

Graswandir! Also found a bag of tricks, so went back down to alter, a
bit more of a sac fest and now I also have sword of justice! All of
this and Ive only explored up to dlv 6, and havent entered the mines
yet! Pitty Ive got a Monk who is restricted in most things (though my
god has kindly un-restricted me from long sword).

Given this good luck, should I try and enchant these weapons up and use

one of them... (prob frosty, as its now unresrticted), or stay bare
handed? Dont know a whole lot about slashem monks

Also, why is the chained blitz so damn complicated!! Twice Ive tried it

and gotten the 'you stumble' message... grr!

Marky Mark

Ok, after trying time and again, I just dont get it (the monk chain
blitz technique). Im a lv 11 monk, and am trying for a Chi strike -
Pummel - Giant Slam chain, but it never works!

Ive tried LLDDR LRL DDDD. and also LLDDRDR RLR DDDD. (using the
directional keypad, without the spaces), but I always get a 'you
stumble mesage'.

What am I doign wrong??

HELP!!

Ok, after trying time and again, I just dont get it (the monk chain
blitz technique). Im a lv 12 monk, and am trying for a Chi strike -
Pummel - Giant Slam chain, but it never works!

Ive tried LLDDR LRL DDDD. and also LLDDRDR RLR DDDD. (using the
directional keypad, without the spaces), but I always get a 'you
stumble mesage'.

What am I doign wrong??

HELP!!

On a side note, Ive noticed a few other things different from
vanilla...
1. I was accepted for the quest at Exp lv 12, had the prerequisit been
removed or jsut lowered (and if so what to?), and also, I got a magic
skill up to expert, then found out that I could cast that spell even
when I was out of Pw, by using HP instead. I was never a huge
spellcaster, but I take it this is just a slashem thing? (have to say
Im a big fan of it!)

Also found a couple of critters so far that Im not a fan of, those
being those lightning zapping arc(?) bugs (who have destroyed several
rings / wands), and brownies. Its not bad enough they steal your stuff,
they destroy your armour and weaken you too! (Im yet to find MR in my
current game, but my monk is flying!)

Another q, have a stockpile of firearms and grenades (as wel las
artifact weapons), but is there any advantage in using these as a monk?

Also, please help with my chain blitz!!

Thanks again,

Marky Mark

Kristoffer Björkman wrote:
> In news:<1118814945.906331.190670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Marky
> Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...
> > Ok, after trying time and again, I just dont get it (the monk chain
> > blitz technique). Im a lv 12 monk, and am trying for a Chi strike -
> > Pummel - Giant Slam chain, but it never works!
>
> I've never had any problems with the chained blitz stuff, just followed
> the instructions and it worked.
>
> > Ive tried LLDDR LRL DDDD. and also LLDDRDR RLR DDDD. (using the
> > directional keypad, without the spaces), but I always get a 'you
> > stumble mesage'.
>
> That sounds good to me.
>
> > What am I doign wrong??
> > HELP!!
>
> Are you sure that you have Num Lock activated?

Shouldnt matter, as nethack accepts both numbers and arrows (right?)...
anywho, I'll keep on trying

> > Also found a couple of critters so far that Im not a fan of, those
> > being those lightning zapping arc(?) bugs (who have destroyed several
> > rings / wands), and brownies. Its not bad enough they steal your stuff,
> > they destroy your armour and weaken you too! (Im yet to find MR in my
> > current game, but my monk is flying!)
>
> Slash'EM is supposed to be hard and full of evil surprises for the
> player, IMHO.

Yeah, true, thats what I like about it. Any other particularly anoying
beasties I should look out for?

> > Another q, have a stockpile of firearms and grenades (as wel las
> > artifact weapons), but is there any advantage in using these as a monk?
>
> I'm sure you can find many uses for them if you experiment a bit. Or if
> you really want to be spoiled, read the firearms spoiler.
> http://glass.tvu.ac.uk/~chi/nethack/files/fire-648.txt

I can guess what to do with them, get a gun, get ammo, shoot...
likewise throw grenades... what Im asking is for a monk is it worth the
extra weight to carry them around when they seem to do quite a ibt of
damage bare handed?

Thanks!

Marky Mark wrote:
> Kristoffer Björkman wrote:
> > In news:<1118814945.906331.190670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Marky
> > Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...

<snip>

> > > Also found a couple of critters so far that Im not a fan of, those
> > > being those lightning zapping arc(?) bugs (who have destroyed several
> > > rings / wands), and brownies. Its not bad enough they steal your stuff,
> > > they destroy your armour and weaken you too! (Im yet to find MR in my
> > > current game, but my monk is flying!)
> >
> > Slash'EM is supposed to be hard and full of evil surprises for the
> > player, IMHO.
>
> Yeah, true, thats what I like about it. Any other particularly anoying
> beasties I should look out for?

Asphynx - be warned barehanded warrior!
Ghoul Queen - Instakill - if not prepared...
Black Rat - Seems weak, but, --
High level 'B' class monsters...
Gnolls - At low levels - one place in particular (not too hard to
detect with monk)

That's all I have time for/can think of for now...

As you mention lightning/arc bugs.

Mac

Marky Mark wrote:
> Some more Slashem questions, Ive been playing slash'em for a while, and
> have gotten a hang of most of the roles... just not the monk, because
> of its confusing #techniques, but as Ive been told its one of the
> easier characters in Slash'em, thought Id give it a try.

It is. Early-mid game, the easiest. Late-game, Wizard might be
superior.

> My question is, is there a chain blitz that is superior to other
> combinations? My ill-informed guess would be:
>
> Chi Strike
> Chi Strike
> Pummell
> Ground slam
> Ground slam??
>
> I welcome any other sugestions (and yes, I have read the spoilers, but
> still a little confused).
>
> Also, when a chain blitz is used, is it only the chain blitz technique
> that times out, or all the other techniques that are used in it time
> out as well?
>
> Also, been told that monks do more bare handed damage in slashem. Is
> this true? If so how much more, and is it worth going barehand compared
> to having a weapon in early/late game?

Early game, yes. Late game, probably.
Elaboration: For normal combat, a highyl enchanted artifact weapon may
be superior to martial arts *if* it's one of the better ones (GS, FB,
Bat from Hell, etc.) For defeating single named monsters, martial arts
is way better because of the techniques. I've never been able to figure
out Chain Blitz either, but the following sequence seems almost
absurdly effective: Chi Strike: Elemental Fist: Pummel: Ground Slam:
Keep beating it until it dies. With Chi Strike/Fist still on, it
shouldn't take very long.

I did this to MAster Kaen once at XL9, with no MR, no reflection, and
not much armor, and killed him on the ground slam. I did have speed
boots. It went like this:
Me: Chi Strike
MK: Miss
Me: Elemental Fist
Me: Pummel
MK: Miss
Me: Ground Slam
MK: Dies.
I lost zero HP. Of course, then I nearly died to all the
xorns/elementals...
Maybe I was lucky, but that sequence appears to work very nicely on
separate turns. For Chain Blitz, I tried many times to do CS-EF-P, and
the GS on the next turn, but no dice.

> Thanks,
>
> Marky Mark

In news:<1118814945.906331.190670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Marky
Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...
> Ok, after trying time and again, I just dont get it (the monk chain
> blitz technique). Im a lv 12 monk, and am trying for a Chi strike -
> Pummel - Giant Slam chain, but it never works!

I've never had any problems with the chained blitz stuff, just followed
the instructions and it worked.

> Ive tried LLDDR LRL DDDD. and also LLDDRDR RLR DDDD. (using the
> directional keypad, without the spaces), but I always get a 'you
> stumble mesage'.

That sounds good to me.

> What am I doign wrong??
> HELP!!

Are you sure that you have Num Lock activated?

> On a side note, Ive noticed a few other things different from
> vanilla...
> 1. I was accepted for the quest at Exp lv 12, had the prerequisit been
> removed or jsut lowered (and if so what to?), and also, I got a magic
> skill up to expert, then found out that I could cast that spell even
> when I was out of Pw, by using HP instead. I was never a huge
> spellcaster, but I take it this is just a slashem thing? (have to say
> Im a big fan of it!)

I've noted these things too, but I'm not a source diver so I can't say
much more.

> Also found a couple of critters so far that Im not a fan of, those
> being those lightning zapping arc(?) bugs (who have destroyed several
> rings / wands), and brownies. Its not bad enough they steal your stuff,
> they destroy your armour and weaken you too! (Im yet to find MR in my
> current game, but my monk is flying!)

Slash'EM is supposed to be hard and full of evil surprises for the
player, IMHO.

> Another q, have a stockpile of firearms and grenades (as wel las
> artifact weapons), but is there any advantage in using these as a monk?

I'm sure you can find many uses for them if you experiment a bit. Or if
you really want to be spoiled, read the firearms spoiler.
http://glass.tvu.ac.uk/~chi/nethack/files/fire-648.txt

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Vs lbh ghea oyvaq, qba'g rkcrpg lbhe qbt gb or ghearq vagb n frrvat-rlr

Marky Mark wrote:
> I can guess what to do with [firearms], get a gun, get ammo, shoot...
> likewise throw grenades... what Im asking is for a monk is it worth the
> extra weight to carry them around when they seem to do quite a ibt of
> damage bare handed?

Yes, but you can't fight monsters from afar using your bare hands and
firearms are the best ranged weapons in the game.

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

Kristoffer Björkman wrote:
> In news:<1118814945.906331.190670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Marky
> Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...
> > Ok, after trying time and again, I just dont get it (the monk chain
> > blitz technique). Im a lv 12 monk, and am trying for a Chi strike -
> > Pummel - Giant Slam chain, but it never works!
>
> I've never had any problems with the chained blitz stuff, just followed
> the instructions and it worked.
>
> > Ive tried LLDDR LRL DDDD. and also LLDDRDR RLR DDDD. (using the
> > directional keypad, without the spaces), but I always get a 'you
> > stumble mesage'.
>
> That sounds good to me.

Ok, after re-reading the technique spoiler, Ive figured out what Im
doing wrong. For things like LLDDR I was entering 44226 when I should
have been entering 4126... the LD (and others like it) threw me... but
wow, even just at level 12 with a 3 string combo, it does some
damage...

Sorry for my noob-ness

Mac wrote:

<snip much usefull and apreciated info (thanks!)>

> Maybe I was lucky, but that sequence appears to work very nicely on
> separate turns. For Chain Blitz, I tried many times to do CS-EF-P, and
> the GS on the next turn, but no dice.

Yook me a while to figure out the chain blitz, but I finally found my
problem, and you might have the same one too, that is that when doing
the chain blit for say, CS-EF-P, which is LLDDR UURRDDL LRL (or other
combination), there is a LD and a RD which you have to look out for,
these have to be entered as 1 and 3, not 42 and 62 (which is what I
used to do). If that wasnt your problem maybe it was that as a Lv 9
monk, you can only have a 2 chain blitz (unless the calculation rounds
up?), and if your trying for 3 chains maybe that was the cause of the
error.

Anywho, in my first ever monk game Ive just onto lv 18, had no problems
so far except for a close shave eith Yeegough on the dlv with the
entrance to mines, which I had to dig down to escape death, and have
knocked off the Eye of Beholder and the unicorn guy without any real
problems...

Thanks for all your help, stay tuned for YAFSAP... lol, maybe thats
wishfull thinking!

Marky Mark

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Marky Mark wrote:

> > > Another q, have a stockpile of firearms and grenades (as wel las
> > > artifact weapons), but is there any advantage in using these as a monk?
> >
> > I'm sure you can find many uses for them if you experiment a bit. Or if
> > you really want to be spoiled, read the firearms spoiler.
> > http://glass.tvu.ac.uk/~chi/nethack/files/fire-648.txt
>
> I can guess what to do with them, get a gun, get ammo, shoot...
> likewise throw grenades... what Im asking is for a monk is it worth the
> extra weight to carry them around when they seem to do quite a ibt of
> damage bare handed?

Long range damage, high shooting rate (with automatic guns), potential
silver bullet for killing Vecna (and his like). Not necessary the perfect
idea, but often wirth trying it.

Flag grenade are hand throwable fireball without mana consumption, always
nice in crowd (castle, Fort Ludious,...), can kill lots of people before
they reach you when thrown "in salvo" (one each round). I usually carry a
few of them in my BoH (~ 10) and use other in the fight I found them
(rarely take grenades out of Grund's).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

In news:<1118930214.132263.40740@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Marky
Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...
> Kristoffer Björkman wrote:
> > In news:<1118814945.906331.190670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Marky
> > Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...
> > > Ok, after trying time and again, I just dont get it (the monk chain
> > > blitz technique). Im a lv 12 monk, and am trying for a Chi strike -
> > > Pummel - Giant Slam chain, but it never works!
> > I've never had any problems with the chained blitz stuff, just followed
> > the instructions and it worked.
> > > Ive tried LLDDR LRL DDDD. and also LLDDRDR RLR DDDD. (using the
> > > directional keypad, without the spaces), but I always get a 'you
> > > stumble mesage'.
> > That sounds good to me.
> Ok, after re-reading the technique spoiler, Ive figured out what Im
> doing wrong. For things like LLDDR I was entering 44226 when I should
> have been entering 4126... the LD (and others like it) threw me... but
> wow, even just at level 12 with a 3 string combo, it does some
> damage...

Hmmm. (IIRC) I've always been using the 44226 style, without doing any
stumbling. I will have to try this out. But if it works for you now, I
guess the problem is solved and you can knock those monsters to pieces.
:)

> Sorry for my noob-ness

No problem, we've all been there!

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Gurl fnl gung fubcxrrcref qba'g yvxr cvpx-nkrf.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Marky Mark wrote:

> Kristoffer Björkman wrote:
> > In news:<1118814945.906331.190670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Marky
> > Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...
> > > Ok, after trying time and again, I just dont get it (the monk chain
> > > blitz technique). Im a lv 12 monk, and am trying for a Chi strike -
> > > Pummel - Giant Slam chain, but it never works!
> >
> > I've never had any problems with the chained blitz stuff, just followed
> > the instructions and it worked.
> >
> > > Ive tried LLDDR LRL DDDD. and also LLDDRDR RLR DDDD. (using the
> > > directional keypad, without the spaces), but I always get a 'you
> > > stumble mesage'.
> >
> > That sounds good to me.
>
> Ok, after re-reading the technique spoiler, Ive figured out what Im
> doing wrong. For things like LLDDR I was entering 44226 when I should
> have been entering 4126... the LD (and others like it) threw me... but
> wow, even just at level 12 with a 3 string combo, it does some
> damage...

Strange, the technique spoiler (at least J. Ali Harlow's one, found one
juiblex.co.uk via Eva Myers' page) says :
" - Typing North-East is exactly the same as typing East followed
by North (but not the other way around!) and so on."

Which, if my english is not too poor, I interpret as a contradiction with
what you're saying. [yet I never tried chain blitz with monk, so I do not
doubt your experiment (and my best slash'em monk reached Demogorgon)].

Maybe things have changed (the spoiler is for 6E0F1, august 2001 and do
not list, eg, draw blood technique for vampires). Is there another
technique spoiler somewhere ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.