Vulture's Claw

Anyone know for certain if the bones files it generates are compatible with
Slash'Em?

Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> writes:

> Anyone know for certain if the bones files it generates are compatible with
> Slash'Em?

Slash'em adds new monsters to standard Nethack, so the bones can't be
compatible.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Phlimm schreef:
> Anyone know for certain if the bones files it generates are compatible with
> Slash'Em?

They should be compatible, as long as the platform is the same and the
same configuration options are used while compiling. The default
packages *should* generate compatible bonesfiles with the default
versions of Nethack and Slash'Em.

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> writes:
>

>>Anyone know for certain if the bones files it generates are compatible with
>>Slash'Em?
>

> Slash'em adds new monsters to standard Nethack, so the bones can't be
> compatible.

Vulture's Claw is Slash'em, not NetHack ;)

Clive Crous <clive@darkarts.co.za> writes:
> Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> > Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> writes:

> >> Anyone know for certain if the bones files it generates are compatible
> >> with Slash'Em?
> > Slash'em adds new monsters to standard Nethack, so the bones can't be
> > compatible.

> Vulture's Claw is Slash'em, not NetHack ;)

Oh. It wasn't mentioned in the question.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

frank@diguru.com wrote:
> Phlimm schreef:
> > Anyone know for certain if the bones files it generates are compatible with
> > Slash'Em?
>
> They should be compatible, as long as the platform is the same and the
> same configuration options are used while compiling. The default
> packages *should* generate compatible bonesfiles with the default
> versions of Nethack and Slash'Em.

I've had one complaint that files generated by Vulture's Claw aren't
uploading properly to Hearse. Can anyone send me a VC bones file at the
email address below so I can check 'em?

Ta,

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis babbled on for HOURS on 13 Jun 2005:

> frank@diguru.com wrote:
>> Phlimm schreef:
>> > Anyone know for certain if the bones files it generates are
>> > compatible with Slash'Em?
>>
>> They should be compatible, as long as the platform is the same and
>> the same configuration options are used while compiling. The default
>> packages *should* generate compatible bonesfiles with the default
>> versions of Nethack and Slash'Em.
>
> I've had one complaint that files generated by Vulture's Claw aren't
> uploading properly to Hearse. Can anyone send me a VC bones file at
> the email address below so I can check 'em?
>
> Ta,
>
> -- A.

Hehee that complaint was from me! I'll email my files over to you ASAP.

Jukka Lahtinen babbled on for HOURS on 13 Jun 2005:

> Clive Crous <clive@darkarts.co.za> writes:
>> Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

>> > Slash'em adds new monsters to standard Nethack, so the bones can't
>> > be compatible.
>
>> Vulture's Claw is Slash'em, not NetHack ;)
>
> Oh. It wasn't mentioned in the question.

It was mentioned in the post title.

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com wrote:
[Hearse compatibility]
> Hehee that complaint was from me! I'll email my files over to you ASAP.

The files are different. Using NHIDSAVE:

Vulture's Claw:
Version: Features: Entity count: Struct sizes:
0x00000707 0x181EEE4C 0x44218263 0xAC89D5F0

Slashem:
Version: Features: Entity count: Struct sizes:
0x00000707 0x181FEE4C 0x44218263 0xAC89D5F0

Looking at the Slash'em source, it looks like Slash'em has
DISPLAY_LAYERS enabled and VC doesn't - from the sound of it it's
another one of those annoying things that really belongs in the NH
config file rather than the bones/save data.

Frank, any chance of tweaking this for the next release?

-- A.

--

Alexis schreef:
> icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com wrote:
> [Hearse compatibility]
>
>>Hehee that complaint was from me! I'll email my files over to you ASAP.
>

> The files are different. Using NHIDSAVE:
>

> Looking at the Slash'em source, it looks like Slash'em has
> DISPLAY_LAYERS enabled and VC doesn't - from the sound of it it's
> another one of those annoying things that really belongs in the NH
> config file rather than the bones/save data.
>
> Frank, any chance of tweaking this for the next release?
>
> -- A.

That would be a problem. I totally agree with you: that doesn't belong
in a bones file. If we enable that, there are multiple graphical
artifacts, due to the way those layers are handled. The best solution
would be, to ask the Slash'EM dev team if they can move that to a config
file. I'll ask right away.

Frank

Alexis wrote:

> jukkal@despammed.com wrote:
>> Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> writes:
>>> Jukka Lahtinen babbled on for HOURS on 13 Jun 2005:

>>> It was mentioned in the post title.
>>
>> ..which should NEVER be the ONLY place where some relevant information
>> is said.
>
> I have to say that this only ever seems to be a problem on rgrn. What
> ancient creaky newsreader are you lot all using?!

What does the newsreader have to do with it?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

jukkal@despammed.com wrote:
> Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> writes:
> > Jukka Lahtinen babbled on for HOURS on 13 Jun 2005:
>
> > > Oh. It wasn't mentioned in the question.
> > It was mentioned in the post title.
>
> ..which should NEVER be the ONLY place where some relevant information is
> said.

I have to say that this only ever seems to be a problem on rgrn. What
ancient creaky newsreader are you lot all using?!

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

frank@diguru.com wrote:
[DISPLAY_LAYERS enabled in Slash'Em but not in VC causing bones
incompatibility]
> That would be a problem. I totally agree with you: that doesn't belong
> in a bones file. If we enable that, there are multiple graphical
> artifacts, due to the way those layers are handled. The best solution
> would be, to ask the Slash'EM dev team if they can move that to a config
> file. I'll ask right away.

Is there an easier ugly workaround? e.g. keep DISPLAY_LAYERS disabled
but throw a hack into makedefs.c along the lines of:

//#ifdef DISPLAY_LAYERS
| (1L << 16)
//#endif

I freely admit I have no idea what DISPLAY_LAYERS does, having not
studied the Slash'EM code base or whether it has any gameplay effects
beyond graphical ones. But if it only does what the name implies, it's
hard to see why it'd make a difference whether or not it's enabled in
bones/save data.

Failing that, I could add Hearse support for VC separately, but those
bones will be ghettoised away from existing Slash'em bones files.

-- A.

--

Alexis wrote:

> kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl wrote:
>> In short, it's a matter of how to write correctly; a matter of respect
>> for your reader.
>
> Which again, oddly, isn't an aspect of correct writing that seems to be
> a problem anywhere else than rgrn.

It's not a problem, or you haven't seen any complaints? For what it's
worth, this comes up regularly or occasionally on most of the newsgroups I
subscribe to.

> Certainly it's not something I've seen complaints about in other
> newsgroups - although that might be a lack of observation on my part. It
> is something that seems to crop up here with unerring regularity, isn't
> it?

Yes, on average I would say regular posters here tend to be more concerned
with good style than in many other forums. I find it makes this newsgroup
particularly pleasant to read. A little extra effort on the part of the
author can make things nicer for hundreds of readers, so I think it's worth
it.

--

Alexis schreef:

> Is there an easier ugly workaround? e.g. keep DISPLAY_LAYERS disabled
> but throw a hack into makedefs.c along the lines of:
>
> //#ifdef DISPLAY_LAYERS
> | (1L << 16)
> //#endif
>
> I freely admit I have no idea what DISPLAY_LAYERS does, having not
> studied the Slash'EM code base or whether it has any gameplay effects
> beyond graphical ones. But if it only does what the name implies, it's
> hard to see why it'd make a difference whether or not it's enabled in
> bones/save data.
>
> Failing that, I could add Hearse support for VC separately, but those
> bones will be ghettoised away from existing Slash'em bones files.
>
> -- A.

Clive says that it will not be easy to move it to a config file, so he
is looking for a work around like you suggested. I think he is going to
rewrite that part of the interface, so it doesn't matter anymore if it
is defined or not.

To keep track of the status of bugs or report new ones, take a look at
the bug tracker on the site ( http://www.diguru.com/ ). But I'll post an
update on this bug here in any case.

In the mean time, could you add support anyway? I think a lot of people
would be happy with that. And I'm going to add the Hearse client to the
packages for the next release, if you don't mind.

Frank

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

bclewis@cs.sfu.ca wrote:
> Alexis wrote:
> > I have to say that this only ever seems to be a problem on rgrn. What
> > ancient creaky newsreader are you lot all using?!
>
> What does the newsreader have to do with it?

I have never seen the "you posted something in the subject line and not
in the body of the text" complaint anywhere apart from rgrn (and yes, I
know it's in the FAQ, doesn't make it any less idiosyncratic).

So I'm assuming a broken or oddly configured newsreader. Or damage to
the superior rectus muscle :)

-- A.

--

Alexis wrote:
> bclewis@cs.sfu.ca wrote:
>> Alexis wrote:
>>> I have to say that this only ever seems to be a problem on rgrn.
>>> What ancient creaky newsreader are you lot all using?!
>>
>> What does the newsreader have to do with it?
>
> I have never seen the "you posted something in the subject line and
> not in the body of the text" complaint anywhere apart from rgrn (and
> yes, I know it's in the FAQ, doesn't make it any less idiosyncratic).

I see it quite regularly on at least one other newsgroup I
subscribe to, as well as four mailing lists.

--
Everett E. Johnson
"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

Alexis wrote:

> I have never seen the "you posted something in the subject line and
> not in the body of the text" complaint anywhere apart from rgrn (and
> yes, I know it's in the FAQ, doesn't make it any less idiosyncratic).

It's a question of common politeness.

If you write someone a (paper) letter, with a subject mentioned at the
top, you should *also* mention the subject again somewhere in the letter
itself. Likewise, if you write an article, it helps to not just put a
title above it, but also to mention somewhere in oyour article what it's
about.

In short, it's a matter of how to write correctly; a matter of respect
for your reader.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl wrote:
> In short, it's a matter of how to write correctly; a matter of respect
> for your reader.

Which again, oddly, isn't an aspect of correct writing that seems to be
a problem anywhere else than rgrn. Certainly it's not something I've
seen complaints about in other newsgroups - although that might be a
lack of observation on my part. It is something that seems to crop up
here with unerring regularity, isn't it?

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 14 Jun 2005:

> Alexis wrote:
>
>> I have never seen the "you posted something in the subject line and
>> not in the body of the text" complaint anywhere apart from rgrn (and
>> yes, I know it's in the FAQ, doesn't make it any less idiosyncratic).
>
> It's a question of common politeness.
>
> If you write someone a (paper) letter, with a subject mentioned at the
> top, you should *also* mention the subject again somewhere in the letter
> itself. Likewise, if you write an article, it helps to not just put a
> title above it, but also to mention somewhere in oyour article what it's
> about.
>
> In short, it's a matter of how to write correctly; a matter of respect
> for your reader.

.....I have to agree with Alexis here...I wonder - how do people decide
which messages to read and which to skip if they don't read the topic?
Surely you don't read EVERY post...or do you?

seraphim

Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> wrote in

> ....I have to agree with Alexis here...I wonder - how do people
> decide which messages to read and which to skip if they don't read
> the topic? Surely you don't read EVERY post...or do you?

I don't know about anyone else, but I read every post that isn't from
someone I have in my kill file, and isn't in a discussion that has turned
into a flame-fest.

Alexis wrote:
> jukkal@despammed.com wrote:
>
>>Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> writes:
>>
>>>Jukka Lahtinen babbled on for HOURS on 13 Jun 2005:

>>>It was mentioned in the post title.
>>
>>..which should NEVER be the ONLY place where some relevant information is
>>said.
>

> I have to say that this only ever seems to be a problem on rgrn. What
> ancient creaky newsreader are you lot all using?!

UsenetPedant 1.0

Atillo

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

bclewis@cs.sfu.ca wrote:
> Alexis wrote:
> > Which again, oddly, isn't an aspect of correct writing that seems to be
> > a problem anywhere else than rgrn.
>
> It's not a problem, or you haven't seen any complaints? For what it's
> worth, this comes up regularly or occasionally on most of the newsgroups I
> subscribe to.

Really?! I'm surprised but given that both you and Everett say that,
then maybe it's just me being unobservant.

I read ~30 newsgroups and have since ~'93, and the only place I've ever
noticed complaints about subject vs body content is rgrn (Please note,
this is to emphasise just how unobservant I must be rather than trying
to start any kind of irrelevant "I have been here longer than you"
dicksize war). Maybe it's just that those complaints crop up much more
regularly here than elsewhere?

Cheers,

-- A.

--

Alexis wrote:
> bclewis@cs.sfu.ca wrote:
>>Alexis wrote:
>>>Which again, oddly, isn't an aspect of correct writing that seems to be
>>>a problem anywhere else than rgrn.
>>
>>It's not a problem, or you haven't seen any complaints? For what it's
>>worth, this comes up regularly or occasionally on most of the newsgroups I
>>subscribe to.
>
> Really?! I'm surprised but given that both you and Everett say that,
> then maybe it's just me being unobservant.
>
> I read ~30 newsgroups and have since ~'93, and the only place I've ever
> noticed complaints about subject vs body content is rgrn (Please note,
> this is to emphasise just how unobservant I must be rather than trying
> to start any kind of irrelevant "I have been here longer than you"
> dicksize war). Maybe it's just that those complaints crop up much more
> regularly here than elsewhere?

That last I'd probably agree with. When I said I'd seen it
regularly on another group and 4 mailing lists, keep in mind
that I read six other newsgroups and about 3 dozen mailing
lists on which the issue is never raised, even when other
issues like top-posting spark absolutely rabid flame posts.
I guess each group or list develops its own quirks. Its
one of the reasons I'll typicaly lurk on a list or group
for at least a month, if not a year or more, before posting
anything.