SSE, Intel and 3d Gaming

G

ok So SSE, and Intel. Is that going to be a problem that I might run into when wanting to play games with a AMD 1.4 ? I don't want to buy a AMD and then hear that its not going to run the new games ? maybe I should go back to INTEL or wait a while longer... I was looking at ordering within the week.. But now maybe not. The benchmarks between the 1.7 intel and 1.4 AMD are very close on most things and INTEL has been the better in the past for games. (AMD had trouble with there k5 chip). I would hate to spend 2000 dollars and find out that It was a waste of money for something that would run games for 6 months and then be no good.
What do you think ?

Joeyman101

mpjesse

Splendid
Take a look at benchmarks comparing the Athlon to the Intel P3 and P4. The Athlon wins in almost every game (except with Quake 3 on the P4). Why? The Athlon has a superior FPU. SSE is a half-ass way of improving FPU performance and it doesn't do it well. SSE2 is a little better- but only with games that support it. 80% of your gaming performance will come out of your video card- not the processor (provided it's a Athlon or a P3/P4).

Read Tom's article on the Athlon 1.4Ghz and look at benchmarks. It's about even.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

please explain a little more... I am going to get a manufacture to build my computer is sse really inportant ?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>juin</b> (!!!) I doubt he'd know anything about AMD Athlon systems!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
If you use a reputable OEM to build your system, you should be OK. The driver and bios problems may show up when one tries to build a system by oneself.

As for SSE, I don't know how many popular games are taking advantage of SSE. If you want to play it safe, you should consider Athlon-4, which has SSE support. You will be better off using the money you save from Athlon/DDR (vs P4/RDRAM) to get more RAM and a better graphics card, which may make much more differences in 3D performance.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
problem driver bios chipset and others.

ohhh - the bogeyman is coming, if you buy AMD he'll wait in your cupboard until you sleep and then kill you in a fantastically painful and gory way.

Get real. There are currently no outstanding issues with new AMD hardware. If you buy brand new technology (kt133a etc.) expect a few issues. Intel have had them too, but not as many.

Right now I doubt there is anything that you can point to as an outstanding problem for building a new AMD platform is there?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

ok, that sounds great I am excited about my new system and would love to have it sitting on my desk right now... when is the AMD 4 coming out .. ? I have been waiting for my computer for about 6 months should I wait longer ?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Games rely on your videocard. You're freaking out because of marketing hype. It's like freaking out since the Athlon doesn't have "innovative features such as Hyper Pipelined Technology", but the P4 does. You're worrying about the wrong stuff. Look at benchmarks for the cpu, and buy a good video card if you are a gamer. The rate at which computers are advancing is dramatic so expect to upgrade sooner then you though anyways.

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I don't have all the info, so correct me if I am wrong. I believe
1. AthlonMP is Athlon-4. However, it is ONLY 1.2 GHz and the MoBo support is not quite there yet. See
http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010605/760mp-03.html
2. After the 1.4 GHz T-bird Athlon, the next release will be Athlon-4 for desktop. But I am not sure about the exact time frame. Maybe someone can help.

If you don't want to wait, maybe you should consider just Athlon. If you get a T-bird + 512MB DDR + a great graphics card, I think you won't complain about the performance in any 3D game.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Just look the forum you will have your answser for AMD probleme more cause by via and others third party.Just look at the benchmark AMD/ATI intel/ATI.Strangely ATI seen to like intel much that AMD.Nvisia run well with AMD and intel.

Advise make all the site make your own idea and know what is your need and your banking account.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Just look the forum you will have your answser for AMD probleme more cause by via and others third party.Just look at the benchmark AMD/ATI intel/ATI.Strangely ATI seen to like intel much that AMD.Nvisia run well with AMD and intel.

Advise make all the site make your own idea and know what is your need and your banking account.

Look at the last benchmark and the older you will find something very strange over P4.

G

I think you're wrong, but I may be too. The Athlon 4 is the Palamino which is now only available in Laptops and will be released in desktop later this year. AthlonMP is simply dual Tbird from what I've read.

G

SSE helps yes, and if it's used properly it helps allot, however Athlons just have more horsepower in there FPU, making the difference small to nil. But remember the Athlon with it's extra brute force doesn't only work in SSE applications.

Anyway it's mute, unless you use a benchmark your not going to see much of a difference between an Athlon and a P4. The Athlon is cheaper, get it, and use the extra cash to get a better video card. You will notice the difference between them.

I AM Canadian.

G

Come to think of it you seem to be wondering if you need SSE in order to run some programs. You do not. You can still run the program without SSE.

I AM Canadian.

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Some games may take advantage of the SSE instruction set to perform additional lighting calculations which makes objects brighter and more colorful in the 3D world. The algorithm may not be implemented on non-SSE enabled processor. Case in point: "Earth 2150", and "The Moon Project".

In the near future I plan to upgrade (a DIY project) to an Athlon MP to maintain backward compatibility with the games I like to play. If the P4 represents the future, I'll wait for the future to arrive. The Athlon MP with the new supporting chipset (non-VIA) sounds like fun!

mpjesse

Splendid
In all my years of building machines, I've had more problems with intel based chipsets than AMD. Now, since the P3- i've had no problems with intel based chipsets. The problem is the user- not the chipset. I own 3 Athlon based systems and 1 K6-2 based system- NEVER ONCE have I had a problem with the chipsets, BIOS's, or AGP drivers.

These people have little or no experience with the proper installation of drivers. That's the problem. Don't blame it on the chips. I will admit that VIA has had many problems- but I've never owned a VIA based chipset. The same could be said for VIA Intel chipsets- they're all flaky. So don't turn this into a AMD vs Intel flame war because it has NOTHING to do with the CPU.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I just built 2 AMD 1.2 GHz (A7A266) machines without problems. Well I misread the manual, but that doesn't count against the manufacturer. haha. The machines are stable. These are the first computers I have ever built. I would never buy a computer from a retailer. They overcharge and put in cheap components. Someone like <A HREF="http://www.falcon-nw.com" target="_new">Falcon Northwest</A> and <A HREF="http://www.alienware.com" target="_new">Alienware</A> build good computers with good parts, but are very expensive. The major companies at times use proprietary parts and lower grade components that can make upgrading more of a chore if even possible. For example they often don't tell you what motherboard they are using. hmmm. I wonder why. The best bet is to learn how to build them yourself or buy from a serious vendor that understands the software you use and backs up what they do.

RCPilot

Champion
I would'nt go back to Intel the way things are right now. Don't know about you, but I liked Intel, but they have show nothing but slow, controled chips Latley. If they ever get a proformance chip back out, I'll look at it, but will have to might convinced it's better than sliced bread.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bit at a time!

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
If your doing mostly gaming, get the fastest Duron, 256MB of Ram, a good fast hardrive(dont bother with Raid 0, it doesn't help gaming) and the fastest video card you can buy. This will play any game at more than acceptable levels. Any performance over this machine is just bragging rights. Some people will swear up and down that they can tell the difference between 40fps and 80fps. It's crap, you can save your money if your primarily gaming. Unless you want to show your computer off to all of your friends get a Duron. You'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the athlon only loses on the q3a tests and do you really need 200fps? the athlon is what my nex box is gonna be im still stuck with a p3 550 thought 320 megs of ram helps

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Even tho Im not in the "Signature of the month" club I will give you the best advice. AVOID AMD. stick with Intel for highest compatability, stability, and performance. you cannot find those 3 words on the same page at AMD.com Something AMD just does not have yet.

You can build a nice P4 1.4Ghz with Geforce3 video card for around $1,000 now.

You will not need to upgrade next week because that new program you want supports SSE2.
www.pricewatch.com
www.resellerratings.com

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
it intel platform or amd platform.You cannot buy a amd with a intel chipset.Sis look to have made the best chipset right now.Performance/stability.

Via suck big time.That you who tell it.
Sis have stability probleme.

More than that, the SiS reference is impressive due to its perfect system stability, something previously unheard of from this Taiwanese manufacturer

From tomshardware.

Can you buy a mobo who have the new chipset.NO!!!!