ready for Gehennom (and YASD)

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Update: After wiping the floor with the undead in the Valley (including
a master lich), I'm starting to believe my barbarian is invincible,
which will probably result in my most spectacular, embarrassing YASD to
date.

Questions:

1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
scroll failed)

2. Any special, super-sekret tips for Gehennom?

Thanks in advance.

Yggdrasil

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005

in my experience, I haven't found that peaceful creatures of any sort
can be further tamed, and all attempts at charming/taming demons and
some other creatures has only resulted in peaceful, not pets. I could
be wrong, but AFAIK if a creature is already peaceful, that's how it'll
stay. I suppose you could whack it (to de-peaceful it) and then try
taming it, though I'm not sure that would be a fabulous idea with
Yeenoghu (Jubilex I rarely have any real trouble with as long as I have
a unicorn horn) :)

-y

yggdrasil wrote:
> in my experience, I haven't found that peaceful creatures of any sort
> can be further tamed, and all attempts at charming/taming demons and
> some other creatures has only resulted in peaceful, not pets. I could
> be wrong, but AFAIK if a creature is already peaceful, that's how it'll
> stay. I suppose you could whack it (to de-peaceful it) and then try
> taming it, though I'm not sure that would be a fabulous idea with
> Yeenoghu (Jubilex I rarely have any real trouble with as long as I have
> a unicorn horn) :)

Contrary to your experience, I had a monk that tamed the Titan from
Medusa's lair. Awesome pet: she helped retrieve all the gold from the
Minetown priest and enabled some extra protection buys (followed by gold
retrieval, of course ;) at another couple of temples in the Dungeons of
Doom. Inadvertantly left her behind when going to the Plane of Earth
because she was eating when I whistled her next to the stairs up, though.

My guess for the original poster is that demons have a very low chance
of successful taming, if any at all. It has a lot to do also with base
level of the creature as compared to level of the spell. If you're using
a scroll of taming, your chances are pretty poor with higher level
creatures because it is the equivalent of charm monster cast by a
lower-level character (I don't know exact level).

-Ken

anon wrote:

> 1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
> both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
> scroll failed)

You can't tame demons unless you take the form of a demon. You'd also
have to take the monster's natural magic resistance and experience
level into account, so I doubt it would work. Demons supposedly ignore
level drain.

anon wrote:

> Update: After wiping the floor with the undead in the Valley (including
> a master lich), I'm starting to believe my barbarian is invincible,
> which will probably result in my most spectacular, embarrassing YASD to
> date.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
> both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
> scroll failed)

They can't be tamed I believe. They are peacefull here
so they will not be hostile later. Either leave them in
peace or chose your time to kill them.

> 2. Any special, super-sekret tips for Gehennom?

It gets boring, so don't let your guard down. Save the
game every so often and do something else. Come back to
it fresh.

anon <anon@anonn.com> writes:

> Update: After wiping the floor with the undead in the Valley (including
> a master lich), I'm starting to believe my barbarian is invincible,
> which will probably result in my most spectacular, embarrassing YASD to
> date.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
> both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
> scroll failed)

In theory, yes, but it's a bit tricky. One way would be to
slime them, then level-drain, then charm.

> 2. Any special, super-sekret tips for Gehennom?

Get magic mapping, teleport control and wands of teleport.

Best,
Jakob

"Time Carrot" <ravenhurst30@hotmail.com> writes:
> anon wrote:
> >
> > 1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
> > both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
> > scroll failed)
> >

> You can't tame demons unless you take the form of a demon. You'd also
> have to take the monster's natural magic resistance and experience
> level into account, so I doubt it would work. Demons supposedly ignore
> level drain.

That'd work for normal demons, but not named ones; all demon lords
and princes are covetous, and hence can't be tamed.

: "At the sushi counter of life, you must use the chopsticks of ambition :
: to grab the sashimi of accomplishment or you will be left with the :
: wasabi of disappointment." -- Dan Shiovitz :

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> anon <anon@anonn.com> writes:
>
>>1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
>>both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
>>scroll failed)
>
> In theory, yes, but it's a bit tricky. One way would be to
> slime them, then level-drain, then charm.

That reads like some strange invocation rite. &^9

What's behind the sliming part? (Would you get a tame green slime then,
or really a tame demon lord/prince?)

Janis

anon wrote:

> 1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
> both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
> scroll failed)

I'm not sure. The usual trick is to drain levels before trying to tame,
but I don't think you can level drain demons.

> 2. Any special, super-sekret tips for Gehennom?

Spoiler space:

They're super-secret, so I cannot tell you them...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> writes:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > anon <anon@anonn.com> writes:
> >
> >>1. Sacrificing my own kind (orcish) has summoned Yeenoghu and Juiblex,
> >>both peaceful. Can they be tamed? (my first attempt with a blessed
> >>scroll failed)
> > In theory, yes, but it's a bit tricky. One way would be to slime
> > them, then level-drain, then charm.
>
> That reads like some strange invocation rite. &^9
>
> What's behind the sliming part?

Covetuous monsters are not tameable, but turning them into
green slime makes them green slime. Polymorph would not
work due to their high MR (or so I believe). Green slime is
drainable and can be tamed. However, I admit that you just get
tame green slime this way.

This would be more interesting to people who want a
'kill no named monsters' ascension. Hmh.. I wonder:
If you slime Rodney, will he return even though you
don't kill the slime? Probably yes.

Best,
Jakob

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> > > In theory, yes, but it's a bit tricky. One way would be to slime
> > > them, then level-drain, then charm.
> >
> > That reads like some strange invocation rite. &^9
> >
> > What's behind the sliming part?
>
> Covetuous monsters are not tameable, but turning them into
> green slime makes them green slime. Polymorph would not
> work due to their high MR (or so I believe). Green slime is
> drainable and can be tamed. However, I admit that you just get
> tame green slime this way.
>
> This would be more interesting to people who want a
> 'kill no named monsters' ascension. Hmh.. I wonder:
> If you slime Rodney, will he return even though you
> don't kill the slime? Probably yes.

I thought I once saw a patch with the "master thieve" challenge : quest
nemesis, Vlad, Rodney and High priest of Moloch must not been killed.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.