Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ninjas!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:46:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

More about : ninjas

March 10, 2005 8:32:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

An issue of Dragon from the last 12 months (the April 2004 issue springs to
mind) has a 20 level ninja class, I believe.

--
==========
Are you a RPG Player?
Visit my website: http://www.morvia.tk
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Werebat wrote:
> Ophidian wrote:
> > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill
people.

But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win in a fight
between ninjas and pirates?
Related resources
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:24:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian wrote:
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill people.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:49:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Presto wrote:
> Ophidian wrote:
>
>> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> An issue of Dragon from the last 12 months (the April 2004 issue springs
> to mind) has a 20 level ninja class, I believe.

That's #318, the Oriental Adventures update issue. Unfortunately, that ninja is
exactly the same as the one in Complete Adventurer (both the article and the
book were written by Jesse Decker).

To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product since
3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter
works.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Quo usque tandem abutere, Vepre, patientia nostra?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:53:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian wrote:
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
levels.
Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
Stir well.
Enjoy Ninja.

Silveraxe.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:02:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Anivair wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
<snip>
>
>> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
>> flip out and kill people.
>
> But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
> in a fight between ninjas and pirates?

The dinosaurs.


Arivne
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:50:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Silveraxe wrote:

> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
> levels.
> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
> Stir well.
> Enjoy Ninja.

I'm with him. If you *need* the unarmed fighting (and not just a rogue
with improved unarmed) then just multiclass the rogue and monk and
it'll be a perfect blend.

heck, when you get right down to it a monk PrC'd into assasin is
basically a ninja. What more do you need (thogh I would alter the
prereqs some to fit the flavor).
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:58:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

arivne@cox.net wrote:

> Anivair wrote:
>
>>Werebat wrote:
>>
>
> <snip>
>
>>>Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
>>>flip out and kill people.
>>
>>But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
>>in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
>
> The dinosaurs.

Where do ninja wizards fit in this?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:01:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Silveraxe wrote:

> Ophidian wrote:
>
>>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
>
> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
> levels.
> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
> Stir well.
> Enjoy Ninja.

Best answer yet.
Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
Like in Eberron.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:25:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Christopher Adams wrote:
[...]
> To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product since
> 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
> fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter
> works.

Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.

I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:25:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen wrote:
>
> Christopher Adams wrote:
> [...]
>
>> To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast
>> product since 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some*
>> prestige classes which fulfill a similar niche - anything
>> simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter works.
>
> Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
>
> I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You can get most
> of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or something multiclassed (to add in
> more low-level spellcasting).

Our first run at it used Rogue/Monk.
Seems to work.

But I talked myself into CompAdv yesterday and the player thinks
he might take the actual class after all.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:02:13 -0800, arivn wrote:

>
> Anivair wrote:
>> Werebat wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>>
>>> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
>>> flip out and kill people.
>>
>> But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
>> in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
>
> The dinosaurs.
>

....with the half-flumph template.

>
> Arivne

LL
March 11, 2005 7:56:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 10 Mar 2005 19:24:47 -0800, "Anivair" <anivair@gmail.com> raised a
finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>
>Werebat wrote:
>> Ophidian wrote:
>> > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>> > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>> > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>> > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>>
>> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill
>people.
>
>But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win in a fight
>between ninjas and pirates?

The boners.

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:03:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

Geoff.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:03:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Geoff Watson wrote:
> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

Exactly.

Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue
and the Ranger class, what he actually wants is something
that is unbalancedly more powerful.

Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually
wishing for is a class which shifts "goodness" further
towards stealth, at the expense of other abilities (e.g a
Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and Evasion abilities
with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like Cat's
Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:03:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Geoff Watson" <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote in message news:<erbYd.1493$Le2.11641@nasal.pacific.net.au>...
> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
> > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
>
> Geoff.

The DMG has a PrC ninja called 'assassin'
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:03:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Geoff Watson wrote:

> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
>
>>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
>
> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

Hardly!
Good try though. ;) 
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:03:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen wrote:

>
> Geoff Watson wrote:
>
>> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>>
>> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the Ranger
> class, what he actually wants is something that is unbalancedly more
> powerful.

Hell, no.
I'm the DM!
I want something that does the flavor better.
Not something that dominates the game.

> Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually wishing for is
> a class which shifts "goodness" further towards stealth, at the expense
> of other abilities (e.g a Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and
> Evasion abilities with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like
> Cat's Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.

Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:03:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian wrote:
> Peter Knutsen wrote:
>>Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the Ranger
>>class, what he actually wants is something that is unbalancedly more
>>powerful.
>
> Hell, no.
> I'm the DM!

Well, sorry for having insulted you, but we do get a lot of
people who pop in here and are basically asking for a
majority approval of their ultra-powerful core class. You
just happened to be the exception.

> I want something that does the flavor better.

Please define the flavour, then. Because there's no
consensus on what a ninja *is*.

Most people in here associate the concept with buttkicking
unarmed combatants from stupid Hong Kong action movies. I'm
much more into the actual historical ninja, the
infiltrator/assassin/spy.

Where are you?

> Not something that dominates the game.
>
>>Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually wishing for is
>>a class which shifts "goodness" further towards stealth, at the expense
>>of other abilities (e.g a Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and
>>Evasion abilities with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like
>>Cat's Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.
>
> Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.

I like the idea of a non-Evil Assassin. Preferably as a core
class, rather than a prestige class.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:35:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Sampo Smolander <sampo.smolander+newsnspam@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But how to ninjas compare to pirates?

>Order of the Stick has commented also on the age-old
>Ninja vs. Pirate debate:

>http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=1...

So has Nodwick, for those who haven't seen it:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/gamespyarchiv...

"They're ninja-pirates!"

"It's like combining liquor and booze! It's an unbeatable
combination!"

Pete
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:

> Silveraxe wrote:
[...]
>> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
>> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
>> levels.
>> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
>> Stir well.
>> Enjoy Ninja.

> Best answer yet.
> Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
> Like in Eberron.

I wouldn't bother, since the multiclass restrictions on monk and
paladin are there for flavor reasons, not balance reasons. But you
already have a good flavor reason for making free monk/rogue MCing
available: you want your ninjae!

--
Matt Pillsbury
pillsy[at]mac[dot]com
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:53:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <m2d5u5zzlv.fsf@seesig.com>, Matt Pillsbury <mtp@seesig.com> wrote:
>Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:
>
>> Silveraxe wrote:
>[...]
>>> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
>>> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
>>> levels.
>>> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
>>> Stir well.
>>> Enjoy Ninja.
>
>> Best answer yet.
>> Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
>> Like in Eberron.
>
>I wouldn't bother, since the multiclass restrictions on monk and
>paladin are there for flavor reasons, not balance reasons. But you
>already have a good flavor reason for making free monk/rogue MCing
>available: you want your ninjae!

There are feats in Complete Adventurer that allow monk/paladin multiclassing,
rogue/paladin, and much more.
--
"Yo' ideas need to be thinked befo' they are say'd" - Ian Lamb, age 3.5
http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~dalamb/ qucis->cs to reply (it's a long story...)
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:13:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <39d6f0F616g4mU3@individual.net>,
Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

> Christopher Adams wrote:
> [...]
> > To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product
> > since
> > 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
> > fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent
> > fighter
> > works.
>
> Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
>
> I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
> can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
> something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

It really depends on the flavour of ninja you're trying to copy. There
are relatively serious ninja, there are mildly silly ninja (Tenchu:
Stealth Assassins), and there are ridiculous ninja (Ninja Scroll). All
of these are within DnD canonical power levels, just with different
flavours.

In the 2e days psionics did silly ninjas very well. I'm not sure how
well 3e psionics handle it.

Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:13:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Kevin Lowe just said...
> In article <39d6f0F616g4mU3@individual.net>,
> Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Christopher Adams wrote:
> > [...]
> > > To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product
> > > since
> > > 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
> > > fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent
> > > fighter
> > > works.
> >
> > Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
> >
> > I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
> > can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
> > something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).
>
> It really depends on the flavour of ninja you're trying to copy. There
> are relatively serious ninja, there are mildly silly ninja (Tenchu:
> Stealth Assassins), and there are ridiculous ninja (Ninja Scroll). All
> of these are within DnD canonical power levels, just with different
> flavours.
>
> In the 2e days psionics did silly ninjas very well. I'm not sure how
> well 3e psionics handle it.

For 3.5, probably better; they can actually shoot energy blasts; which I
believe is mandatory for high-end anime silliness. And the psionic
focus, while it may tone them down, is also good times if you need an
excuse for uttering a lot of mystical mumbo-jumbo.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:54:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen wrote:
>
> Ophidian wrote:
>
>> Peter Knutsen wrote:
>>
>>> Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the
>>> Ranger class, what he actually wants is something that is
>>> unbalancedly more powerful.
>>
>>
>> Hell, no.
>> I'm the DM!
>
>
> Well, sorry for having insulted you,

Well, I knew were the attitude came from, just wnated to point out
that I'm not trying to contribute to it! ;) 

>> I want something that does the flavor better.
>
> Please define the flavour, then. Because there's no consensus on what a
> ninja *is*.

Something like the Hand from Daredevil comics.

> Most people in here associate the concept with buttkicking unarmed
> combatants from stupid Hong Kong action movies.

I would like that at _high_ levels.
But no more butt kicking than Conan the Barbarain, Galahad the
Paladin, or Arthur the Fighter.

> I'm much more into the
> actual historical ninja, the infiltrator/assassin/spy.

I like those too.

The main thrust here, though, is a very stealthy character with some
unusual combat abilities. CV seems to have covered that too.

>> Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.
>
> I like the idea of a non-Evil Assassin. Preferably as a core class,
> rather than a prestige class.

I'd like it under a different name.
"Special Forces Op", "Sanctioner", etc.
"Assassin" just sounds _E_vil.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 5:00:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

David Alex Lamb wrote:

>
> There are feats in Complete Adventurer that allow monk/paladin multiclassing,
> rogue/paladin, and much more.

My original idea in posting was to avoid buying that yet.
But I broke down and did it.
Either the class or the rogue/monk feat work well.
I might actually be able to use UA and this to create Clans and
Clan Wars.
Fun!
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 5:00:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:yrwYd.207853$0u.103239@fed1read04...
> David Alex Lamb wrote:
>
>>
>> There are feats in Complete Adventurer that allow monk/paladin
>> multiclassing,
>> rogue/paladin, and much more.
>
> My original idea in posting was to avoid buying that yet.
> But I broke down and did it.
> Either the class or the rogue/monk feat work well.
> I might actually be able to use UA and this to create Clans and
> Clan Wars.

There is also an article in Dragon for a Rogue/Monk Prestige Class.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

from _Invictus_, by William Ernest Henley
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 5:06:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> writes:

>I like the idea of a non-Evil Assassin. Preferably as a core
>class, rather than a prestige class.

Heck, if it's okay for 90% of adventurers to be essentially
murderous home invaders (of "nonhuman" sentients, anyway), then
why should assassins have to be evil?
--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology
Frosty divine Saturn Stanford University
www.stanford.edu/~jmbay/ got my mojo properly adjusted
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:38:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian wrote:
> arivne@cox.net wrote:
>> Anivair wrote:
>
<snip>
>
>>> But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
>>> in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
>
>> The dinosaurs.
>
> Where do ninja wizards fit in this?

Right next to the bears that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.


Arivne
Gamma World lives!
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:35:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:wthYd.195977$0u.81938@fed1read04...
> Geoff Watson wrote:
>
> > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> > news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
> >
> >>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> >>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> >>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> >>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
> >
> >
> > The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
>
> Hardly!
> Good try though. ;) 

What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

Geoff.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Geoff Watson wrote:
> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:wthYd.195977$0u.81938@fed1read04...
>
>>Geoff Watson wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
>>>
>>>
>>>>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>>>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>>>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>>>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>>>
>>>
>>>The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
>>
>>Hardly!
>>Good try though. ;) 
>
>
> What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

Flip out and Kill People! Ninjas are totally sweet!
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:
>
>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
>
If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.
--
"Yo' ideas need to be thinked befo' they are say'd" - Ian Lamb, age 3.5
http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~dalamb/ qucis->cs to reply (it's a long story...)
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Geoff Watson wrote:
>
> What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
Or not.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:35:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
>In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
>Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:

>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

>If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.

Is it real invisbility, or do they have to hold some branches
in their hands and pretend to be a hedge?

And at what level does the "Only a ninja can kill another
ninja!" power kick in? 'Cause that's gotta be seriously
unbalancing.

Pesky ninjas.

Pete
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:35:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <d0t83h$f1h$1@news3.bu.edu>,
Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
>>In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
>>Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:
>
>>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
>
>>If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.
>
>Is it real invisbility, or do they have to hold some branches
>in their hands and pretend to be a hedge?

HD:D 6 skill pts/level: 6+int mod
AC bonus: wis mod +1/5 levels (starting at 5th), applies even when flat-footed
or to touch attacks.
Ki powers min(CL/2,1)+wis bonus times per day. Ki powers:
ghost step, ki dodge, ghost strike, greater ki dodge, ghost walk
L1: sudden strike (similar to sneak attack, +1d6 at CL1, +10d6 at CL19)
trapfinding (as rogue)
L2: ghost step: become invisible for 1 round, uses up 1 unit of ki powers
at CL10 become ethereal instead of invisible
L3: poison use
L4: great leap: jump as if running and with run feat.
L6: acrobatics +2 bonus on climb, jump, tumble
ki dodge: 20% miss chance for 1 rd (1 use of ki power) negated by
true seeing
L7: speed climb: climb at speed with move action
L8: ghost strike: strike incorporeal or ethereal for 1 use of ki powers
L9: improved poison use: apply poison to weapon as move action
L10:ghost step (ethereal)
L12:acrobatics +4
evasion: as monk
L14:ghost mind:scrying ninja requires caster level check at DC 20+CL
L16:ghost sight: see invisible and ethereal
L18:acrobatics +6
greater ki dodge: total concealment (50%)
L20:ghost walk: enter ethereal plane for 2 ki powers uses, asa ethereal jaunt

>And at what level does the "Only a ninja can kill another
>ninja!" power kick in? 'Cause that's gotta be seriously
>unbalancing.

It's not listed.
--
"Yo' ideas need to be thinked befo' they are say'd" - Ian Lamb, age 3.5
http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~dalamb/ qucis->cs to reply (it's a long story...)
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:35:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> writes:

>David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
>>In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
>>Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:

>>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

>>If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.

>Is it real invisbility, or do they have to hold some branches
>in their hands and pretend to be a hedge?

That's a WHOLE LOTTA NINJA!

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology
Frosty divine Saturn Stanford University
www.stanford.edu/~jmbay/ got my mojo properly adjusted
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:58:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Donald Tsang" <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
news:D 0t7ib$vot$1@agate.berkeley.edu...
> Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:
>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
>
> (a) What *doesn't* a ninja do?
> (b) Flips out and kills people (http://www.realultimatepower.net/)
> (c) Wears really silly black outfits in broad daylight.

Those outfits are the kewelest. A ninja ain't a ninja without his black
pajamas!


--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:27:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

arivne@cox.net wrote:

> Ophidian wrote:
>
>>arivne@cox.net wrote:
>>
>>>Anivair wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>
>>>>But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
>>>>in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
>>
>>>The dinosaurs.
>>
>>Where do ninja wizards fit in this?
>
>
> Right next to the bears that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.

<obligatory Synnabar comment>
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:41:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:lowYd.207809$0u.54115@fed1read04...
> Geoff Watson wrote:
> >
> > What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
>
> Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
> Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
> lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
> Or not.

Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).
Anyone can use poison and alchemical stuff.

Spend your skill points on skills other than Pick Lock and Disable Device.

Geoff.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:41:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Geoff Watson wrote:
> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:lowYd.207809$0u.54115@fed1read04...
>
>>Geoff Watson wrote:
>> >
>>
>>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
>>
>>Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
>>Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
>>lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
>>Or not.
>
> Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).

I'd concede the first two, but nunchaku and more versatile than clubs.
They get bonuses on disarm in game terms.

> Anyone can use poison and alchemical stuff.

Not anyone can make the alchemical stuff (though some learn more
easily than others), and not everyone can use poison _safely_.

> Spend your skill points on skills other than Pick Lock and Disable Device.

Concede that.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:54:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen wrote:
>
> I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
> can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
> something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

I think that if you're going to have a ninja base class, it might as well be the
cinematic supernatural ghost-hunter archetype that the Complete Adventurer ninja
emulates, because otherwise you can do it with any two of ranger, rogue, and
fighter.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Quo usque tandem abutere, Vepre, patientia nostra?
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:54:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Christopher Adams wrote:

>Peter Knutsen wrote:
>
>
>>I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
>>can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
>>something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).
>>
>>
>
>I think that if you're going to have a ninja base class, it might as well be the
>cinematic supernatural ghost-hunter archetype that the Complete Adventurer ninja
>emulates, because otherwise you can do it with any two of ranger, rogue, and
>fighter.
>
>
>
I'm reading through Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved at the moment. I
think an Akashic would make an excellent Ninja.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 7:50:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:

>Geoff Watson wrote:
>> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
>> news:lowYd.207809$0u.54115@fed1read04...
>>
>>>Geoff Watson wrote:
>>> >
>>>
>>>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
>>>
>>>Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
>>>Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
>>>lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
>>>Or not.
>>
>> Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).

>I'd concede the first two, but nunchaku and more versatile than clubs.
>They get bonuses on disarm in game terms.

Flails then.



--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology
Frosty divine Saturn Stanford University
www.stanford.edu/~jmbay/ got my mojo properly adjusted
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:37:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:ziGYd.207940$0u.7633@fed1read04...
> Geoff Watson wrote:
> > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> > news:lowYd.207809$0u.54115@fed1read04...
> >
> >>Geoff Watson wrote:
> >> >
> >>
> >>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
> >>
> >>Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
> >>Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
> >>lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
> >>Or not.
> >
> > Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).
>
> I'd concede the first two, but nunchaku and more versatile than clubs.
> They get bonuses on disarm in game terms.
>

Clubs are actually better at disarming, since nunchaku are light, and suffer
a -4 penalty which more than makes up for their +2 bonus.
Or use a Flail (a nunchaku designed for actual combat), but that would
require a feat for Martial WP or a level of a combat class.

> > Anyone can use poison and alchemical stuff.
>
> Not anyone can make the alchemical stuff (though some learn more
> easily than others), and not everyone can use poison _safely_.

Making stuff takes forever, just buy the damn things.
Or take a spellcaster level for a few 'ninja magic' tricks.

Using poison is fairly safe (only 5% chance), but why bother?
D&D poison is overpriced and ineffective.
>
> > Spend your skill points on skills other than Pick Lock and Disable
Device.
>
> Concede that.

Geoff.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:39:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
news:9QOYd.195031$K7.26810@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Peter Knutsen wrote:
>>
>> I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
>> can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
>> something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).
>
> I think that if you're going to have a ninja base class, it might as well
> be the cinematic supernatural ghost-hunter archetype that the Complete
> Adventurer ninja emulates, because otherwise you can do it with any two of
> ranger, rogue, and fighter.

So what classes do I use if I want portray a 1970s Disco Ninja?

"Everybody was KUNG-FOO FIGHT-IN'!!!"


--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:40:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

smithdoerr wrote:
> So what classes do I use if I want portray a 1970s Disco Ninja?
>
> "Everybody was KUNG-FOO FIGHT-IN'!!!"

Wouldn't it have to be some kind of catperson class?

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
!