Ninjas!

I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
47 answers Last reply
More about ninjas

    "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

    An issue of Dragon from the last 12 months (the April 2004 issue springs to
    mind) has a 20 level ninja class, I believe.

    --
    ==========
    Are you a RPG Player?

    Werebat wrote:
    > Ophidian wrote:
    > > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    > > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    > > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    > > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >
    > Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill
    people.

    But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win in a fight
    between ninjas and pirates?

    Ophidian wrote:
    > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

    Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill people.

    - Ron ^*^

    Presto wrote:
    > Ophidian wrote:
    >
    >> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    >> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    >> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    >> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >
    > An issue of Dragon from the last 12 months (the April 2004 issue springs
    > to mind) has a 20 level ninja class, I believe.

    That's #318, the Oriental Adventures update issue. Unfortunately, that ninja is
    exactly the same as the one in Complete Adventurer (both the article and the
    book were written by Jesse Decker).

    To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product since
    3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
    fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter
    works.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

    Quo usque tandem abutere, Vepre, patientia nostra?

    Ophidian wrote:
    > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

    Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
    Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
    levels.
    Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
    Stir well.
    Enjoy Ninja.

    Silveraxe.

    Anivair wrote:
    > Werebat wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
    >> flip out and kill people.
    >
    > But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
    > in a fight between ninjas and pirates?

    The dinosaurs.

    Arivne

    Silveraxe wrote:

    > Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
    > Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
    > levels.
    > Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
    > Stir well.
    > Enjoy Ninja.

    I'm with him. If you *need* the unarmed fighting (and not just a rogue
    with improved unarmed) then just multiclass the rogue and monk and
    it'll be a perfect blend.

    heck, when you get right down to it a monk PrC'd into assasin is
    basically a ninja. What more do you need (thogh I would alter the
    prereqs some to fit the flavor).

    arivne@cox.net wrote:

    > Anivair wrote:
    >
    >>Werebat wrote:
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    >>>Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
    >>>flip out and kill people.
    >>
    >>But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
    >>in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
    >
    > The dinosaurs.

    Where do ninja wizards fit in this?

    Silveraxe wrote:

    > Ophidian wrote:
    >
    >>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    >>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    >>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    >>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >

    > Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
    > Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
    > levels.
    > Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
    > Stir well.
    > Enjoy Ninja.

    Best answer yet.
    Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
    Like in Eberron.

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    [...]
    > To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product since
    > 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
    > fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter
    > works.

    Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.

    I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
    can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
    something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    Peter Knutsen wrote:

    > Christopher Adams wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    >> To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast
    >> product since 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some*
    >> prestige classes which fulfill a similar niche - anything
    >> simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter works.
    >
    > Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
    >
    > I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You can get most
    > of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or something multiclassed (to add in
    > more low-level spellcasting).

    Our first run at it used Rogue/Monk.
    Seems to work.

    But I talked myself into CompAdv yesterday and the player thinks
    he might take the actual class after all.

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:02:13 -0800, arivn wrote:

    > Anivair wrote:
    >> Werebat wrote:
    >>
    > <snip>
    >>
    >>> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
    >>> flip out and kill people.
    >>
    >> But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
    >> in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
    >
    > The dinosaurs.

    ....with the half-flumph template.

    > Arivne

    LL

    On 10 Mar 2005 19:24:47 -0800, "Anivair" <anivair@gmail.com> raised a
    finger to the sky and proclaimed:

    >Werebat wrote:
    >> Ophidian wrote:
    >> > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    >> > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    >> > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    >> > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >>
    >> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill
    >people.
    >
    >But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win in a fight
    >between ninjas and pirates?

    The boners.

    --
    Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
    - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

    "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

    The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

    Geoff.

    Geoff Watson wrote:
    > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    >>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    >>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    >>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >
    > The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

    Exactly.

    Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue
    and the Ranger class, what he actually wants is something
    that is unbalancedly more powerful.

    Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually
    wishing for is a class which shifts "goodness" further
    towards stealth, at the expense of other abilities (e.g a
    Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and Evasion abilities
    with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like Cat's
    Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    "Geoff Watson" <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote in message news:<erbYd.1493$Le2.11641@nasal.pacific.net.au>...
    > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    > > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    > > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    > > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >
    > The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
    >
    > Geoff.

    The DMG has a PrC ninja called 'assassin'

    Geoff Watson wrote:

    > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    >>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    >>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    >>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >

    > The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

    Hardly!
    Good try though. ;)

    Peter Knutsen wrote:

    > Geoff Watson wrote:
    >
    >> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    >>> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    >>> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    >>> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    >>
    >> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
    >
    > Exactly.
    >
    > Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the Ranger
    > class, what he actually wants is something that is unbalancedly more
    > powerful.

    Hell, no.
    I'm the DM!
    I want something that does the flavor better.
    Not something that dominates the game.

    > Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually wishing for is
    > a class which shifts "goodness" further towards stealth, at the expense
    > of other abilities (e.g a Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and
    > Evasion abilities with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like
    > Cat's Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.

    Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.

    Ophidian wrote:
    > Peter Knutsen wrote:
    >>Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the Ranger
    >>class, what he actually wants is something that is unbalancedly more
    >>powerful.
    >
    > Hell, no.
    > I'm the DM!

    Well, sorry for having insulted you, but we do get a lot of
    people who pop in here and are basically asking for a
    majority approval of their ultra-powerful core class. You
    just happened to be the exception.

    > I want something that does the flavor better.

    Please define the flavour, then. Because there's no
    consensus on what a ninja *is*.

    Most people in here associate the concept with buttkicking
    unarmed combatants from stupid Hong Kong action movies. I'm
    much more into the actual historical ninja, the
    infiltrator/assassin/spy.

    Where are you?

    > Not something that dominates the game.
    >
    >>Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually wishing for is
    >>a class which shifts "goodness" further towards stealth, at the expense
    >>of other abilities (e.g a Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and
    >>Evasion abilities with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like
    >>Cat's Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.
    >
    > Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.

    I like the idea of a non-Evil Assassin. Preferably as a core
    class, rather than a prestige class.

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:
    > But how to ninjas compare to pirates?

    Order of the Stick has commented also on the age-old
    Ninja vs. Pirate debate:

    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=121

    Sampo Smolander <sampo.smolander+newsnspam@helsinki.fi> wrote:
    >Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> But how to ninjas compare to pirates?

    >Order of the Stick has commented also on the age-old
    >Ninja vs. Pirate debate:

    >http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=121

    So has Nodwick, for those who haven't seen it:

    http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/gamespyarchive/gspynod176.html

    "They're ninja-pirates!"

    "It's like combining liquor and booze! It's an unbeatable
    combination!"

    Pete

    Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:

    > Silveraxe wrote:
    [...]
    >> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
    >> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
    >> levels.
    >> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
    >> Stir well.
    >> Enjoy Ninja.

    > Best answer yet.
    > Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
    > Like in Eberron.

    I wouldn't bother, since the multiclass restrictions on monk and
    paladin are there for flavor reasons, not balance reasons. But you
    already have a good flavor reason for making free monk/rogue MCing
    available: you want your ninjae!

    --
    Matt Pillsbury
    pillsy[at]mac[dot]com

    In article <m2d5u5zzlv.fsf@seesig.com>, Matt Pillsbury <mtp@seesig.com> wrote:
    >Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:
    >
    >> Silveraxe wrote:
    >[...]
    >>> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
    >>> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
    >>> levels.
    >>> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
    >>> Stir well.
    >>> Enjoy Ninja.
    >
    >> Best answer yet.
    >> Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
    >> Like in Eberron.
    >
    >I wouldn't bother, since the multiclass restrictions on monk and
    >paladin are there for flavor reasons, not balance reasons. But you
    >already have a good flavor reason for making free monk/rogue MCing
    >available: you want your ninjae!

    There are feats in Complete Adventurer that allow monk/paladin multiclassing,
    rogue/paladin, and much more.

    In article <39d6f0F616g4mU3@individual.net>,
    Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

    > Christopher Adams wrote:
    > [...]
    > > To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product
    > > since
    > > 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
    > > fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent
    > > fighter
    > > works.
    >
    > Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
    >
    > I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
    > can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
    > something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

    It really depends on the flavour of ninja you're trying to copy. There
    are relatively serious ninja, there are mildly silly ninja (Tenchu:
    Stealth Assassins), and there are ridiculous ninja (Ninja Scroll). All
    of these are within DnD canonical power levels, just with different
    flavours.

    In the 2e days psionics did silly ninjas very well. I'm not sure how
    well 3e psionics handle it.

    Kevin Lowe,
    Tasmania.

    Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Kevin Lowe just said...
    > In article <39d6f0F616g4mU3@individual.net>,
    > Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > Christopher Adams wrote:
    > > [...]
    > > > To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product
    > > > since
    > > > 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
    > > > fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent
    > > > fighter
    > > > works.
    > >
    > > Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
    > >
    > > I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
    > > can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
    > > something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).
    >
    > It really depends on the flavour of ninja you're trying to copy. There
    > are relatively serious ninja, there are mildly silly ninja (Tenchu:
    > Stealth Assassins), and there are ridiculous ninja (Ninja Scroll). All
    > of these are within DnD canonical power levels, just with different
    > flavours.
    >
    > In the 2e days psionics did silly ninjas very well. I'm not sure how
    > well 3e psionics handle it.

    For 3.5, probably better; they can actually shoot energy blasts; which I
    believe is mandatory for high-end anime silliness. And the psionic
    focus, while it may tone them down, is also good times if you need an
    excuse for uttering a lot of mystical mumbo-jumbo.

    Peter Knutsen wrote:

    > Ophidian wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Knutsen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the
    >>> Ranger class, what he actually wants is something that is
    >>> unbalancedly more powerful.
    >>

    >> Hell, no.
    >> I'm the DM!
    >

    > Well, sorry for having insulted you,

    Well, I knew were the attitude came from, just wnated to point out
    that I'm not trying to contribute to it! ;)

    >> I want something that does the flavor better.
    >
    > Please define the flavour, then. Because there's no consensus on what a
    > ninja *is*.

    Something like the Hand from Daredevil comics.

    > Most people in here associate the concept with buttkicking unarmed
    > combatants from stupid Hong Kong action movies.

    I would like that at _high_ levels.
    But no more butt kicking than Conan the Barbarain, Galahad the
    Paladin, or Arthur the Fighter.

    > I'm much more into the
    > actual historical ninja, the infiltrator/assassin/spy.

    I like those too.

    The main thrust here, though, is a very stealthy character with some
    unusual combat abilities. CV seems to have covered that too.

    >> Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.
    >
    > I like the idea of a non-Evil Assassin. Preferably as a core class,
    > rather than a prestige class.

    I'd like it under a different name.
    "Special Forces Op", "Sanctioner", etc.
    "Assassin" just sounds _E_vil.

    David Alex Lamb wrote:

    > There are feats in Complete Adventurer that allow monk/paladin multiclassing,
    > rogue/paladin, and much more.

    My original idea in posting was to avoid buying that yet.
    But I broke down and did it.
    Either the class or the rogue/monk feat work well.
    I might actually be able to use UA and this to create Clans and
    Clan Wars.
    Fun!

    > David Alex Lamb wrote:
    >

    >> There are feats in Complete Adventurer that allow monk/paladin
    >> multiclassing,
    >> rogue/paladin, and much more.
    >
    > My original idea in posting was to avoid buying that yet.
    > But I broke down and did it.
    > Either the class or the rogue/monk feat work well.
    > I might actually be able to use UA and this to create Clans and
    > Clan Wars.

    There is also an article in Dragon for a Rogue/Monk Prestige Class.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> writes:

    >I like the idea of a non-Evil Assassin. Preferably as a core
    >class, rather than a prestige class.

    Heck, if it's okay for 90% of adventurers to be essentially
    murderous home invaders (of "nonhuman" sentients, anyway), then
    why should assassins have to be evil?
    --
    Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
    Icy colon barge Cancer Biology

    Ophidian wrote:
    > arivne@cox.net wrote:
    >> Anivair wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
    >>> in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
    >
    >> The dinosaurs.
    >
    > Where do ninja wizards fit in this?

    Right next to the bears that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.

    Arivne
    Gamma World lives!

    > Geoff Watson wrote:
    >
    > > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
    > >>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
    > >>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
    > >>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
    > >

    > > The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
    >
    > Hardly!
    > Good try though. ;)

    What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

    Geoff.

    Geoff Watson wrote:
    > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Geoff Watson wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>>The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
    >>
    >>Hardly!
    >>Good try though. ;)
    >

    > What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

    Flip out and Kill People! Ninjas are totally sweet!

    In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
    Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:

    >What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

    If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.

    Geoff Watson wrote:

    > What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

    Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
    Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
    lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
    Or not.

    David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
    >In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
    >Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:

    >>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

    >If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.

    Is it real invisbility, or do they have to hold some branches
    in their hands and pretend to be a hedge?

    And at what level does the "Only a ninja can kill another
    ninja!" power kick in? 'Cause that's gotta be seriously
    unbalancing.

    Pesky ninjas.

    Pete

    In article <d0t83h$f1h$1@news3.bu.edu>,
    Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
    >David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
    >>In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
    >>Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:
    >
    >>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
    >
    >>If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.
    >
    >Is it real invisbility, or do they have to hold some branches
    >in their hands and pretend to be a hedge?

    HD:d6 skill pts/level: 6+int mod
    AC bonus: wis mod +1/5 levels (starting at 5th), applies even when flat-footed
    or to touch attacks.
    Ki powers min(CL/2,1)+wis bonus times per day. Ki powers:
    ghost step, ki dodge, ghost strike, greater ki dodge, ghost walk
    L1: sudden strike (similar to sneak attack, +1d6 at CL1, +10d6 at CL19)
    trapfinding (as rogue)
    L2: ghost step: become invisible for 1 round, uses up 1 unit of ki powers
    at CL10 become ethereal instead of invisible
    L3: poison use
    L4: great leap: jump as if running and with run feat.
    L6: acrobatics +2 bonus on climb, jump, tumble
    ki dodge: 20% miss chance for 1 rd (1 use of ki power) negated by
    true seeing
    L7: speed climb: climb at speed with move action
    L8: ghost strike: strike incorporeal or ethereal for 1 use of ki powers
    L9: improved poison use: apply poison to weapon as move action
    L10:ghost step (ethereal)
    L12:acrobatics +4
    evasion: as monk
    L14:ghost mind:scrying ninja requires caster level check at DC 20+CL
    L16:ghost sight: see invisible and ethereal
    L18:acrobatics +6
    greater ki dodge: total concealment (50%)
    L20:ghost walk: enter ethereal plane for 2 ki powers uses, asa ethereal jaunt

    >And at what level does the "Only a ninja can kill another
    >ninja!" power kick in? 'Cause that's gotta be seriously
    >unbalancing.

    It's not listed.

    Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> writes:

    >David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
    >>In article <t5pYd.1498$Le2.12561@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
    >>Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:

    >>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?

    >>If you read Complete Adventurer, he can turn invisible for a short while.

    >Is it real invisbility, or do they have to hold some branches
    >in their hands and pretend to be a hedge?

    That's a WHOLE LOTTA NINJA!

    --

    "Donald Tsang" <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
    > Geoff Watson <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote:
    >>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
    >
    > (a) What *doesn't* a ninja do?
    > (b) Flips out and kills people (http://www.realultimatepower.net/)
    > (c) Wears really silly black outfits in broad daylight.

    Those outfits are the kewelest. A ninja ain't a ninja without his black
    pajamas!

    --

    -smithdoerr

    arivne@cox.net wrote:

    > Ophidian wrote:
    >
    >>arivne@cox.net wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anivair wrote:
    >>
    > <snip>

    >>>The dinosaurs.
    >>
    >>Where do ninja wizards fit in this?
    >

    > Right next to the bears that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.

    <obligatory Synnabar comment>

    > Geoff Watson wrote:
    > >
    > > What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
    >
    > Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
    > Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
    > lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
    > Or not.

    Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).
    Anyone can use poison and alchemical stuff.

    Spend your skill points on skills other than Pick Lock and Disable Device.

    Geoff.

    Geoff Watson wrote:
    > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Geoff Watson wrote:
    >> >

    >>>What does a 'ninja' do that a rogue doesn't?
    >>
    >>Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
    >>Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
    >>lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
    >>Or not.
    >
    > Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).

    I'd concede the first two, but nunchaku and more versatile than clubs.
    They get bonuses on disarm in game terms.

    > Anyone can use poison and alchemical stuff.

    Not anyone can make the alchemical stuff (though some learn more
    easily than others), and not everyone can use poison _safely_.

    > Spend your skill points on skills other than Pick Lock and Disable Device.

    Concede that.

    Peter Knutsen wrote:

    > I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
    > can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
    > something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

    I think that if you're going to have a ninja base class, it might as well be the
    cinematic supernatural ghost-hunter archetype that the Complete Adventurer ninja
    emulates, because otherwise you can do it with any two of ranger, rogue, and
    fighter.

    --

    Christopher Adams wrote:

    >Peter Knutsen wrote:
    >

    >>I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
    >>can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
    >>something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).
    >>

    >I think that if you're going to have a ninja base class, it might as well be the
    >cinematic supernatural ghost-hunter archetype that the Complete Adventurer ninja
    >emulates, because otherwise you can do it with any two of ranger, rogue, and
    >fighter.

    I'm reading through Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved at the moment. I
    think an Akashic would make an excellent Ninja.

    --
    Tetsubo
    My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

    Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:

    >Geoff Watson wrote:
    >> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>>Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
    >>>Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
    >>>lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
    >>>Or not.
    >>
    >> Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).

    >I'd concede the first two, but nunchaku and more versatile than clubs.
    >They get bonuses on disarm in game terms.

    Flails then.

    --

    > Geoff Watson wrote:
    > > "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message

    > >>Use shuriken, ninjatos, nunchuks, poision, weird powders.
    > >>Basically more on exotic weapons and alchemy and less on
    > >>lockpicking, disabling devices, and stealing.
    > >>Or not.
    > >
    > > Rogues can use darts(shuriken), short sword(ninjato) and club(nunchuks).
    >
    > I'd concede the first two, but nunchaku and more versatile than clubs.
    > They get bonuses on disarm in game terms.

    Clubs are actually better at disarming, since nunchaku are light, and suffer
    a -4 penalty which more than makes up for their +2 bonus.
    Or use a Flail (a nunchaku designed for actual combat), but that would
    require a feat for Martial WP or a level of a combat class.

    > > Anyone can use poison and alchemical stuff.
    >
    > Not anyone can make the alchemical stuff (though some learn more
    > easily than others), and not everyone can use poison _safely_.

    Making stuff takes forever, just buy the damn things.
    Or take a spellcaster level for a few 'ninja magic' tricks.

    Using poison is fairly safe (only 5% chance), but why bother?
    D&D poison is overpriced and ineffective.

    > > Spend your skill points on skills other than Pick Lock and Disable
    Device.

    > Concede that.

    Geoff.

    "Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    > Peter Knutsen wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
    >> can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
    >> something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).
    >
    > I think that if you're going to have a ninja base class, it might as well
    > be the cinematic supernatural ghost-hunter archetype that the Complete
    > Adventurer ninja emulates, because otherwise you can do it with any two of
    > ranger, rogue, and fighter.

    So what classes do I use if I want portray a 1970s Disco Ninja?

    "Everybody was KUNG-FOO FIGHT-IN'!!!"

    --

    -smithdoerr

    smithdoerr wrote:
    > So what classes do I use if I want portray a 1970s Disco Ninja?
    >
    > "Everybody was KUNG-FOO FIGHT-IN'!!!"

    Wouldn't it have to be some kind of catperson class?

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

Games Video Games Books