I have Spoken....

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In the Office Performance benchmark, the SiS 735 left all its competitors in the dust, while the SiS 635 chipset for Intel (socket 370) was less convincing. The SiS 735 achieved a record score of 229 points in Sysmark 2000 - with all the default settings in the Bios.

The board with the SiS 735 is far in the lead and clearly outclasses the already fast AMD 760 chipset

The SiS 735 can even outperform its competitors in MPEG-4 encoding

The performance results are enough to convince one that the SiS 735 is faster than the much more expensive AMD 760 chipset. Nor can the VIA Apollo KT266, the VIA Apollo KT133A and the ALi Magik 1 compete with the 735 in terms of performance.

SiS 735 Rules !!!! Well well are the Nvidia / AMD people cuz the SiS ripped a new A$$hole in the AMD 760. Who was right all the time !!! I told you all the SiS 735 ruled !!! The SiS 735 owns any athlon chipset including your prized AMD 760 and nforce.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Am I missing something ? I see just a few percent improvement.. who cares ??? I'll be impressed if the SiS is as stable as the AMD, and if they dont get as many issues as VIA boards. I'll want one then. But not for 2% better benchmarks.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Okay, so the SiS 735 performs well. That's great news if you like AMD. I like my AMD760 board, but it certainly doesn't upset me to see something better come along. Hopefully the nForce will be a good performer, too, and that will give AMD two solid chipsets with which to work. Why don't you wait for a direct comparison of the SiS to the nForce before you claim "victory," whatever that might mean. Otherwise you may find yourself sitting down to a meal of crow.

This is not a signature.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well the price tag is cheaper. Tom Pabst recommend it more then the AMD 760. In his testing it must of been stable.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Give credit where credit is due. You've been supporting SIS all along.

You still need to have manufacturers boards tested to see if they can surpass the reference design.

At any rate, it looks like there is now a <font color=blue>VIA</font color=blue>ble alternative to VIA. How it performs against nForce will remain to be seen. However, it will cost much less then nForce.

So, when are you buying your AMD + SIS machine?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

"Tom Pabst recommend it more then the AMD 760"

Tom is no longer a real reference to me.. sorry to say. He kinda got stuck in his Monster Truck Madness days.. I prefer to rely on test done by Aces, and to a lesser degree, Anand.

"In his testing it must of been stable".

Did you read any paragraph on the issue ? How many different PCI devices did he try ? Well.. not to flame Tom, stability testing requires a lot of time and effort; but really we cant say a thing on it yet. Do you recall Tom warning us for all these VIA issue ? None.. nada.. niente. He just showed us Q3 640x480 benchmarks, and we all went out to buy KT133A boards.

Also.. stability has much to do with bios-es, and implementations of the chipset. THis is a reference board, so we'll just have to see how well Asus, MSI and co make their SiS boards.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010611/index.html" target="_new">http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010611/index.html</A>

I wonder why the title is called "There's No Stopping Them:
SiS Beats AMD & Co "

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Actaully I was kind of UN-IMPRESSED, after the hype I only saw a very small performance lead...hardly worth mentioning
except that it's SIS THAT DID IT!. SIS deserves some credit
for pulling themselves up from the minor-league.

"sis owns nfroce".....where do you get your data for that comment!?? Do you have an nforce board to show us the benchies...lol....fool.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 06/11/01 12:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well it will be around the KT266 im thinking. Well remember the Athlon can only take 2.1gb of data transfer.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
OH, the benchmarks in your head. Are you the official repository for nForce benchmarks until the boards are available? Cool.

This is not a signature.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unlike other readers, I find it VERY impressive that SiS, with it's spotty history, can beat ANYTHING by ANY amount, so the fact that they can beat the BEST by a SMALL amount is astounding! Now about that stability-I want to hear of NO problems with the PCI bus on this thing, or AGP issues. But I'll probably have to buy one to find out-it took YEARS before AMD afficianados would admit that VIA had a problem.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll agree with ya on that one.
damn impressive for Sis, but how's the stability?
but, rc, we have no idea how the nforce will perform, you truly just like to down someone every chance you get, don't you?

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=red>Well remember the Athlon can only take 2.1gb of data transfer</font color=red>

True to a point, unless you up the front side bus. However, bear in mind with the SIS chipset other devices share this bandwith in direct competition to the CPU which decreases effective bandwith to the CPU below 2.1 gig. This is where the nforce should shine alleviating this competion by ofloading the APG onto the second memory channel, whereas the SIS can not do this with its single channel. Also, the nforce with its crossbar memory archetecture also adresses latency as well. But the nforce as well as the SIS will have to be released then evaluated. However, it does seem like AMD users now have two very promissing up and coming contenders, if just one of them delivers as promised we will all be happy.

SIS still has a few major hurdles to climb however. Motherboard makers aren't exactly beating down there door to make a board based on this chipset. Hopefully the ASUS and chaintech boards will convince others to make a board on this chipset as well ( personally I am afraid to death of any thing made by pc chips). What remains to be seen is if they produce these in quantity and how supply and demand will play itself out. This board should be a low cost board however with limited supplies it very well may sell at premium prices.

But until we here differnt, hats off to SIS, lets hope they can maintain quality if there is a great demand. As far as AMD goes, don't think they are upset by this in the least, they have said from the beginning they do not even want to produce chipsets but only do so as a means to insure there processors have a good base to work off of. you very well may see AMD cease production of 760 chipsets if both the SIS and Nforce chipsets pan out.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
This is where the nforce should shine alleviating this competion by ofloading the APG onto the second memory channel

Are you sure? I thought the second memory channel was only for the integrated video, not the AGP. If the second memory channel was dedicated only to graphics then the limit on the board memory would be lower too. Since it supports 1.5GB and use of only 1 DIMM, it must still be shared/sharable.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
What does nVidia have to do with this post?

I'll wait until the boards are available. Speaking of which, is the SiS board going to be available with a useful form factor?

Asus have announced their A7N266 (or somthing like that) that seems to has 5 PCI slots and is full ATX - cool!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/chipsets/nvidia/nforce/preview/twinbank.jpg" target="_new">http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/chipsets/nvidia/nforce/preview/twinbank.jpg</A>
IN addition with the crossbar arangement, GPU, CPU and overall system requests could be serviced on a much more simltanious basis, no cueing for the network card or graphics unit to wait on the CPU requests to process first.
I did however leave out in my first post that you would need two sticks of Ram ( two run in a dual channel config)however.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!