So far so good - what next ?

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2005 10:19:54 PM

After some heavy ADOMing I decided I need some change from it (not that I
don't like playing it) and decided to try Nethack again (xnethack 3.4.2)
after a long time. After numerous failed attempts I finally got a char to a
decent start (human cavewoman). First saccing session yielded Vorpy that
I've been using ever since. Now I've done the gnomish mines, first level of
soko and descended to the bigroom in the main branch but I'm unsure as to
what I should do next as I haven't played NH for ages.

Char stats:
Polvijuhan the Vagrant St:18/05 Dx:14 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:7 Neutral
Dlvl:5 $:0 HP:101(101) Pw:58(58) AC:-7 Exp:12

Inventory of the character:

Weapons
b - a +2 sling (alternate weapon; not wielded)
e - 14 blessed poisoned darts
o - a poisoned crude arrow
D - an uncursed rustproof long sword named Vorpal Blade (weapon in hand)
Q - 14 blessed poisoned crude arrows
Armor
f - an uncursed +0 pair of speed boots (being worn)
g - an uncursed +1 pair of old gloves (being worn)
n - an uncursed +3 large round shield (being worn)
r - a blessed rusty +1 dwarvish iron helm (being worn)
y - an uncursed +0 dwarvish mithril-coat (being worn)
P - an uncursed +0 elven cloak (being worn)
Comestibles
q - 3 uncursed food rations
N - an uncursed apple
O - 2 uncursed fortune cookies
R - an uncursed partly eaten food ration
X - an uncursed banana
Rings
K - an uncursed sapphire ring
Wands
c - an uncursed wand of fire
m - a cursed wand of secret door detection
L - an uncursed wand of striking
T - an uncursed wand called teleport
U - an uncursed wand called make invisible
V - an uncursed forked wand
W - a blessed wand of magic missile
Y - an uncursed wand of striking
Tools
a - an uncursed towel
l - an uncursed bag called normal
B - an uncursed lock pick
H - an uncursed bag called holding?
> This is really a BoH, I just haven't been able to ID it properly due
> to shortage of ?oID so far

S - an uncursed unicorn horn
Gems
d - an uncursed gem called soft green
j - an uncursed stone called luckstone?
> Not sure if this is a luckstone but a shopkeeper offered something
> like 40 zm for it so I guess it is it.

Contents of the BoH:

Coins
a - 3900 gold pieces
Amulets
b - a cursed square amulet
c - a cursed oval amulet
d - a cursed concave amulet
e - a square amulet
Weapons
f - 10 uncursed poisoned darts
g - 13 uncursed darts
Comestibles
h - an uncursed egg
i - a lizard corpse
j - a lichen corpse
k - an egg
l - a tripe ration
m - a banana
n - 4 uncursed food rations
o - an uncursed lizard corpse
p - an uncursed sprig of wolfsbane
q - 2 uncursed pancakes
a - 2 uncursed apples
Scrolls
b - an unlabeled scroll
c - a scroll of earth
d - an uncursed scroll labeled DUAM XNAHT
e - 11 unlabeled scrolls
f - a scroll of light
g - a scroll of teleportation
h - 2 uncursed scrolls of teleportation
i - 2 blessed scrolls of teleportation
Potions
j - a potion called sickness
k - a potion of blindness
l - a potion of levitation
m - a cursed potion called water
n - a cursed potion called juice
Rings
o - an emerald ring
p - a cursed ivory ring
q - an uncursed iron ring
r - an uncursed pearl ring
Tools
s - an uncursed lock pick
a - an uncursed magic marker
b - a cursed lamp
c - an uncursed can of grease
d - an uncursed looking glass
Gems
e - a gem called soft red
f - a gem called soft orange
g - a gem called soft yellow
h - a yellowish brown gem
i - 2 gems called soft white
j - a gem called soft green
k - a yellowish brown gem
l - an uncursed gem called hard green
m - an uncursed gem called soft yellow
n - an uncursed gem called soft blue
o - 2 uncursed gems called soft green
p - an uncursed gem called soft black
q - an uncursed gem called soft yellow
r - 2 uncursed gems called soft violet
s - 3 uncursed gems called soft orange
t - 2 uncursed gems called hard red
u - 2 uncursed gems called hard white
v - 3 uncursed gems called soft red
a - 6 uncursed gems called soft violet
b - 4 uncursed yellowish brown gems
c - 8 uncursed gems called soft white

More about : good

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:19:55 PM

I composed a nice little list of relative and absolute gem values when
suddenly, about 3/4 through the list, I found a ruby. Rubies aren't
found on dungeon level 5...

....which confuses me greatly.

Being confused, you mispronounce the magic words... You have found a
scroll of genocide!

That's my advice. Don't read unidentified scrolls while confused unless
you have already identified the genocides.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:19:55 PM

ihope wrote:

Does this post have anything to do with the one you are following up?

> I composed a nice little list of relative and absolute gem values when
> suddenly, about 3/4 through the list, I found a ruby. Rubies aren't
> found on dungeon level 5...

I think this only applies to the main dungeon branch (e.g. not the mines),
and only applies to random generation, so they could appear in bones files,
for example.

> Being confused, you mispronounce the magic words... You have found a
> scroll of genocide!
>
> That's my advice. Don't read unidentified scrolls while confused unless
> you have already identified the genocides.

I'd say that last sentence is nine words longer than it should be :)

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
June 15, 2005 10:28:19 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:12:12 +0300,
"The Real J." <kari.polviSPAMTRAP@SPAMTRAPmail.suomi.net> wrote:

> David Damerell wrote:

>> Quoting The Real J. <kari.polviSPAMTRAP@SPAMTRAPmail.suomi.net>:

>>> g - an uncursed +1 pair of old gloves (being worn)

>> No idea what these are yet?

> Nope. I should've used one of those ID scrolls I wrote to ID it but I
> wasted it to ID some gems.

If your strength is effected when you wear them, then they're gauntlets
of power.

If your dexterity is effected when you wear them, then they're gauntlets
of dexterity.

If you drop things and making noise periodically, then they're gauntlets
of fumbling.

Otherwise, they must be plain old leather gloves.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers
<http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/&gt;

The Real J. wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:19:54 +0300:
> Now I've done the gnomish mines, first level of
> soko and descended to the bigroom in the main branch but I'm unsure as to
> what I should do next as I haven't played NH for ages.

I'd dip out all the fountains (use cursed rings and amulets), hoping to
get a wish for GDSM or a cloak of magic resistance. If there are any
unid'ed cloaks, first test to see if they are magic resistance. Also
test amulets for reflection, rings for conflict and levitation.

Then do Sokoban (4 rings, 4 wands, and a prize at the end). Then wander
downwards in the dungeon until you can do the Quest.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Dan Sommers wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:12:12 +0300,
> "The Real J." <kari.polviSPAMTRAP@SPAMTRAPmail.suomi.net> wrote:
>
>> David Damerell wrote:

>>> No idea what these are yet?
>
>> Nope. I should've used one of those ID scrolls I wrote to ID it but I
>> wasted it to ID some gems.
>
> If your strength is effected when you wear them, then they're gauntlets
> of power.

Which they are not, because they self-identify even at +0.

> If your dexterity is effected when you wear them, then they're gauntlets
> of dexterity.

Which they are not, because at +1 they would self-identify.

> If you drop things and making noise periodically, then they're gauntlets
> of fumbling.

If they were fumbling, he'd probably have noticed.

> Otherwise, they must be plain old leather gloves.

Which they probably are.

Raisse, killed by a newt, while helpless

June 16, 2005 12:53:35 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> The Real J. wrote:
>> David Damerell wrote:
>>> The Real J. wrote:

>> Nope. I should've used one of those ID scrolls I wrote to ID it but
>> I wasted it to ID some gems.

Wasted indeed. You can also raise your luck by sacrificing (and you
already did, since you're getting artifacts).

I also don't like spending my first, valuable potions of holy water on
blessing the luckstone from the mines, by the way. An uncursed one will
also raise your luck by 3 points, and will also prevent if from going
down. If, by some chance, your luck would drop below zero, it's easy to
just stash it away for a while and let our luck get back up.

> Some gloves get their names scrambled, some do not. Those
> should be leather gloves.

*All* four gloves have their names scrambled (dexterity, power,
fumbling, leather).

>> Well, I was collecting gems for identification, probably to use e.g.
>> for throwing at coaligned unicorns. I did get my luckstone (it was
>> indeed a luckstone) by diluting some potions and blessing them at
>> altar.

See above.

>> Guess I should indeed ditch these. I DID identify some real gems
>> that I could throw at a coaligned unicorn and ditch the rest ?

You might, but I believe that when you stop seeing four leaf clovers
while sacrificing, your luck is already maxed out. Put one or two in
your bag for emergency luck increases. Me myself I don't bother with
dropping these, since they weigh hardly anything, especially in holding.

--
Boudewijn.

June 16, 2005 2:01:11 PM

ihope wrote:

> I composed a nice little list of relative and absolute gem values when
> suddenly, about 3/4 through the list, I found a ruby. Rubies aren't
> found on dungeon level 5...
>
> ...which confuses me greatly.

Gems appear randomly so there's a chance of any type of
gem on any level that allows random object generation.
So if you depend on no rubies on level 5, the RNG will
see to it one's there just often enough to break your
dependence.

If you wield a blessed ruby and confused read a scroll
of enchant weapon, does any roguelike variant turn it
into a laser with a limited number of shots that can be
charged? ;^)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:29:51 AM

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com>:
> > ihope wrote:
>
> > > Rubies aren't found on dungeon level 5...
>
> > Gems appear randomly so there's a chance of any type of
> > gem on any level that allows random object generation.
>
> Now, see, I've supposed for some time ('cos Dylan says so) that there is,
> uniquely, a depth restriction for gems. This is described in some detail
> in gems-343.txt;
> http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gems-343.txt

Nice. This makes price-ID less necessary. I spent a few
minutes doing a write-up on knowing gems without price ID.
May as well do rot13 on it and include it here:

Guvf svyr qrfpevorf ubj gb xabj trzf jvgubhg hfvat
cevpr VQ. Vg erdhverf ratenivat gb gryy uneq sebz
fbsg naq gbffvat gb pbnyvtarq havpbea gb gryy tynff
sebz inyhnoyr.

Gur ahzore pbqr ner gur funyybjrfg yriry bs gur znva
oenapu gung glcr bs trz pna nccrne. Guvf qbrf abg
uryc va gur Zvarf, va Fbxbona, va Yhqvbf, va gur
Dhrfg, be orybj gur Pnfgyr. Sbe trzf qvfpbirerq va
gur znva qhatrba vg qbrf yvzvg gur cbffvovyvgvrf.

Uneq trz cbffvovyvgvrf ol pbybe (pbybef beqrerq cre tynff yvfg):

oynpx - oynpx bcny-13
oyhr - fnccuver-16, ndhnznevar
terra - rzrenyq-10, ndhnznevar
benatr - wnpvagu-19
erq - ehol-22
ivbyrg - ab uneq trzf bs guvf pbybe
juvgr - qvnzbaq-25
lryybj - ab uneq trzf bs guvf pbybe
lryybjvfu - gbcnm

Bs gur 8 pbybef:

Gjb ner unaqyrq ol abg univat nal uneq trzf bs gung pbybe.
Gjb (terra naq oyhr) unir gjb cbffvovyvgvrf rnpu naq vs
bar pbybe unf 2 uneq trzf gung pbybe gur bgure pbybe vf
xabja. Gung yrnirf sbhe pbybef gung ner xabja nf fbba nf
gurl nf qvfpbirerq gb or uneq. Qbvat n cevpr VQ fubhyq
gryy fnccuver be rzrenyq sebz ndhnznevar.

Vs n oyhr be terra uneq trz vf svefg rapbhagrerq va yriryf
1-9 bs gur znva qhatrba, gura vg vf xabja gb or ndhnznevar
naq nyy bgure uneq trzf ner xabja sebz pbybe nybar.

Fbsg trz cbffvovyvgvrf ol pbybe:

oynpx - wrg, bofvqvna
oyhr - ghedhbvfr-7, sybhevgr
terra - ghedhbvfr-7, sybhevgr, wnqr
benatr - ntngr
erq - tnearg, wnfcre
ivbyrg - nzrgulfg (unf nygreangr VQ zrgubq), sybhevgr
juvgr - qvyvguvhz-28, bcny, sybhevgr
lryybj - pvgevar-4, puelfborely
lryybjvfu - nzore

Fb bs gur 8 pbybef:

Gjb ner xabja nf fbba nf gur tynff bs gung pbybe ner
xabja. Benatr vf ntngr naq lryybjvfu vf nzore.

Vs n lryybj aba-tynff trz vf svefg rapbhagrerq va yriryf
1-3 bs gur znva qhatrba, vg vf xabja gb or puelfborely
nf fbba nf lryybj tynff vf xabja.

Vs n oyhr aba-tynff trz vf svefg rapbhagrerq va yriryf
1-6 bs gur znva qhatrba, vg vf xabja gb or sybhevgr nf
fbba nf oyhr tynff vf xabja. Nyfb oyhr vf ryvzvangrq nf
n cbffvovyvgl sbe sbhevgr.

Vs n terra aba-tynff trz vf svefg rapbhagrerq va yriryf
1-6 bs gur znva qhatrba, vg vf rvgure sybhevgr be wnqr.
Xabjvat rvgure sbhevgr be wnqr znxrf gur bgure xabja.

N ivbyrg aba-tynff trz vf rvgure nzrgulfg be sybhevgr.
Bapr obbmr vf xabja, qvccvat nzrgulfg va vg jvyy ghea
vg vagb sehvg whvpr. Fb n snvyrq qvc zrnaf vg vf
sybhevgr be tynff.

Fvzvyne ryvzvangvbaf znxr bgure pbzovangvbaf xabja.
Gjb pbybef jvyy arrq cevpr VQ.

Fgengrtl sbe trzf:

Ratenir gb gryy vs gurl ner uneq.

Sbe uneq trzf rvgure anzr gurz ba gur fcbg be hfr gur
yriry vs va gur znva qhatrba gb gryy juvpu bar vg vf.

Sbe fbsg trzf hfr n anzr gung vapyhqrf vgf pbybe naq
jung yriry vg jnf svefg rapbhagrerq va. Va oenapurf
bgure guna gur znva qhatrba hfr "oenapu" vafgrnq bs gur
yriry ahzore.

Bapr gurer ner ng yrnfg 2 bs fbzr glcr bs fbsg trz va
lbhe fgnfu, gura vg vf gvzr gb guebj bar ng n pbnyvtarq
havpbea gb gryy tynff sebz inyhnoyr. Rnpu gvzr gur
havpbea vf abg vagrerfgrq va lbhe whax, gung pbybe
tynff vf xabja. Xrrc gelvat pbybef hagvy nyy 8 glcrf
bs tynff ner xabja, nf fgnpxf be 2+ pbzr ninvynoyr.

Bapr n pbybe bs fbsg trz vf xabja gb or inyhnoyr, n
cebprff bs ryvzvangvba pna or sbyybjrq gb xabj zbfg
jvgubhg cevpr VQ.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:20:08 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> David Damerell wrote:
>> Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com>:

>>> Gems appear randomly so there's a chance of any type of
>>> gem on any level that allows random object generation.
>>
>> Now, see, I've supposed for some time ('cos Dylan says so) that there
>> is, uniquely, a depth restriction for gems. This is described in some
>> detail in gems-343.txt;
>> http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gems-343.txt
>
> Nice. This makes price-ID less necessary. I spent a few
> minutes doing a write-up on knowing gems without price ID.
> May as well do rot13 on it and include it here: [snip]

Somewhat interesting theoretically, but I don't really see a practical
purpose to going to this trouble. Is there some utility to gems that I'm
not aware of? The only thing that springs to mind is for increasing luck
in atheist games (which I've never done).

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:43:49 PM

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > David Damerell wrote:

> >> Now, see, I've supposed for some time ('cos Dylan says so) that there
> >> is, uniquely, a depth restriction for gems. This is described in some
> >> detail in gems-343.txt;
> >> http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gems-343.txt
>
> > Nice. This makes price-ID less necessary. I spent a few
> > minutes doing a write-up on knowing gems without price ID.
> > May as well do rot13 on it and include it here: [snip]
>
> Somewhat interesting theoretically, but I don't really see a practical
> purpose to going to this trouble.

I like theory and I like being able to puzzle stuff out.
If I can ID items using fewer methods, it's something I
like to be able to do.

> Is there some utility to gems that I'm
> not aware of? The only thing that springs to mind is for increasing luck
> in atheist games (which I've never done).

Gems are mostly trade items for shops. Lawfull and neutral
characters may want to allow shopkeepers to live unless
their pet balrog trips over the shopkeeper. Chaotic
characters may already be deep enough in the dungeon by the
time they are powerfull enough to just kill shopkeepers that
several are left behind. Beyond that they look cool in
ascension lists.

In a sense gems are there to get players to waste ID scrolls
or spells.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:51:46 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote [re id of gems]
>>
>> Somewhat interesting theoretically, but I don't really see a practical
>> purpose to going to this trouble.
>
> I like theory and I like being able to puzzle stuff out.

Yeah, I thought it was interesting for that reason.

> If I can ID items using fewer methods, it's something I like to be able
> to do.

I agree, but I don't usually even bother identifying gems at all, except
for occasionally finding some hard ones.

>> Is there some utility to gems that I'm not aware of? The only thing
>> that springs to mind is for increasing luck in atheist games (which I've
>> never done).
>
> Gems are mostly trade items for shops.

But they are only worth reasonable $ in shops if they are completely
identified, not just #named, no?

> Beyond that they look cool in ascension lists.

Yeah, I usually just bless a touchstone at some point for this; it's easy
to get way more HW than you need before ascension.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:43:04 PM

Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com>:
>ihope wrote:
>>I composed a nice little list of relative and absolute gem values when
>>suddenly, about 3/4 through the list, I found a ruby. Rubies aren't
>>found on dungeon level 5...
>Gems appear randomly so there's a chance of any type of
>gem on any level that allows random object generation.

Is there?

Now, see, I've supposed for some time ('cos Dylan says so) that there is,
uniquely, a depth restriction for gems. This is described in some detail
in gems-343.txt;
http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gems-343.txt

But; I can't find anything in the source to support this assertion,
albeit without looking very hard, and gems seem to have normal
probabilities in objects.c.

What's up?
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Second Chedday, June - a weekend.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, David Damerell wrote:

> Now, see, I've supposed for some time ('cos Dylan says so) that there is,
> uniquely, a depth restriction for gems. This is described in some detail
> in gems-343.txt;
> http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gems-343.txt
>
> But; I can't find anything in the source to support this assertion,
> albeit without looking very hard, and gems seem to have normal
> probabilities in objects.c.

From a cursory look, it seems that makelevel -> oinit -> setgemprobs is
responsible for that.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Quoting Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca>:
>Doug Freyburger wrote:
>>Gems are mostly trade items for shops.
>But they are only worth reasonable $ in shops if they are completely
>identified, not just #named, no?

However, there is a possibility that, when reading a bSoID early on,
you'll have a few spaces left for gems after more useful equipment.
Obviously knowing which gems are the most valuable is of some utility
there.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Teleute, Presuary.

james wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>
>> Somewhat interesting theoretically, but I don't really see a practical
>> purpose to going to this trouble. Is there some utility to gems that
>> I'm not aware of? The only thing that springs to mind is for increasing
>> luck in atheist games (which I've never done).
>
> Somewhat spoily:
>
> V unir n fgebat zbgvingvba sbe vagragvbanyyl *qrpernfvat* zl yhpx.
> Yngr va gur tnzr, vg'f npghnyyl zber qvssvphyg gb qb gung, guna
> vapernfvat.
>
> Zl ernfba vf, V jnag gb znkvzvmr qvivar cebgrpgvba, fb V qba'g jnag gb
> or yhpxvre guna "yhpxl". Ohg fnpsrfgf graq gb znxr lbh "rkgerzryl
> yhpxl" jvgu "rkgen yhpx". Guvf tvirf lbh n ybg zber fcryyobbxf, oyhr
> nhenf, naq tbyqra tybjf, guna cbvagf bs cebgrpgvba. Lbh trg n YBG zber
> cebgrpgvba cbvagf va n ZHPU fubegre nzbhag bs gvzr vs lbh xrrc lbhe yhpx
> qbja.

Something tells me, however, that you're not exactly hurting for more
conventional ways to identify gems in your games :)

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
June 21, 2005 10:25:08 AM

In article <yy7o3brh9cqv.fsf@css.css.sfu.ca>,
Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>Is there some utility to gems that I'm
>not aware of?

Lite Brite!!!
You can thrill and amaze people observing your game on nethack.alt.org,
with your marvellous and colorful ascii-art!
June 21, 2005 10:30:28 AM

In article <yy7o3brh9cqv.fsf@css.css.sfu.ca>,
Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>Somewhat interesting theoretically, but I don't really see a practical
>purpose to going to this trouble. Is there some utility to gems that I'm
>not aware of? The only thing that springs to mind is for increasing luck
>in atheist games (which I've never done).

Somewhat spoily:

V unir n fgebat zbgvingvba sbe vagragvbanyyl *qrpernfvat* zl yhpx.
Yngr va gur tnzr, vg'f npghnyyl zber qvssvphyg gb qb gung, guna
vapernfvat.

Zl ernfba vf, V jnag gb znkvzvmr qvivar cebgrpgvba, fb V qba'g jnag gb
or yhpxvre guna "yhpxl". Ohg fnpsrfgf graq gb znxr lbh "rkgerzryl
yhpxl" jvgu "rkgen yhpx". Guvf tvirf lbh n ybg zber fcryyobbxf, oyhr
nhenf, naq tbyqra tybjf, guna cbvagf bs cebgrpgvba. Lbh trg n YBG zber
cebgrpgvba cbvagf va n ZHPU fubegre nzbhag bs gvzr vs lbh xrrc lbhe yhpx
qbja.
June 21, 2005 10:32:39 AM

In article <d8pqqh$ets$1@plaza.suomi.net>,
The Real J. <kari.polviSPAMTRAP@SPAMTRAPmail.suomi.net> wrote:

>Well, after a prolonged saccing session three other weapons showed up -
>Trollsbane, Giantslayer and dragonbane.

I don't even pick those up off the altar :-) Maybe I'll kick them aside
and maybe a pet will equip one. That's about it.

A couple of times I've said a goal was to carry every artifact weapon
available in that game (for that player class/race) to the planes, but
I forgot.
June 21, 2005 10:37:14 AM

Since I play a strict protection racket type of game, my early games are
played defensive/pacifist to the fullest. That means, one of the most
valuable things I can find at the beginning is a hard gem for engraving.
A hard ring will do also, but taming unicorns is a nice trick to have up
your sleeve too.
June 21, 2005 9:20:40 PM

In article <yy7ooea05h2o.fsf@css.css.sfu.ca>,
Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>Something tells me, however, that you're not exactly hurting for more
>conventional ways to identify gems in your games :)

V cebonoyl unir 150 gbhpufgbarf.

I'll be singing a different tune after this
genoless/polyselfless/extinctionist elf.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:08:50 AM

james wrote:

> Guvf tvirf lbh n ybg zber fcryyobbxf, oyhr
> nhenf, naq tbyqra tybjf, guna cbvagf bs cebgrpgvba.

But tbyqra tybjf = cpvagf bs cebgrpgvba, isn't it?

--
Boudewijn.

June 22, 2005 2:08:51 AM

In article <d99s4p$anl$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>But tbyqra tybjf = cpvagf bs cebgrpgvba, isn't it?

Max HP
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:08:51 AM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> james wrote:
>
> > Guvf tvirf lbh n ybg zber fcryyobbxf, oyhr
> > nhenf, naq tbyqra tybjf, guna cbvagf bs cebgrpgvba.
>
> But tbyqra tybjf = cpvagf bs cebgrpgvba, isn't it?

No. N tbyqra tybj erfgberf ybfg yriryf be vapernfrf lbhe znk UC ol 5,
urnyf lbh gb znk UC, erfgberf nal ybfg fgeratgu, pyrnef onq yhpx,
haoyvaqf lbh, naq erfrgf lbhe uhatre. "N trareny teno-ont bs Tbbq
Fghss, ohg abguvat znwbe"; naq ab cbvagf bs NP. Gung'f gur "Gubh unfg
cyrnfrq zr jvgu gul cebterff, naq guhf V tenag gurr gur tvsg bs zl
cebgrpgvba!" erfhyg.

: "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree / That it carries too far, :
: when I say / That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea / And :
: dines on the following day." -- Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark :
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:11:46 AM

james wrote:
> The Real J. wrote:

>> Well, after a prolonged saccing session three other weapons showed
>> up - Trollsbane, Giantslayer and dragonbane.

> I don't even pick those up off the altar :-) Maybe I'll kick them
> aside and maybe a pet will equip one. That's about it.

I wouldn't recommend that.

Vg'f sbbyvfu gb xvpx lbhe bja tbq'f nygne...

--
Boudewijn.

June 22, 2005 2:11:47 AM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:D 99sa8
$c6d$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> james wrote:
>> The Real J. wrote:
>
>>> Well, after a prolonged saccing session three other weapons showed
>>> up - Trollsbane, Giantslayer and dragonbane.
>
>> I don't even pick those up off the altar :-) Maybe I'll kick them
>> aside and maybe a pet will equip one. That's about it.
>
> I wouldn't recommend that.
>
> It's foolish to kick your own god's altar...

But that is only a problem if you kick at the altar once everything is
off of it.
June 23, 2005 2:24:41 AM

In article <86acljfopl.fsf@strackenz.spod-central.org>,
Dylan O'Donnell <psmith@spod-central.org> wrote:

>Ab. A golden glow restores lost levels or increases your max HP by 5,
>heals you to max HP, restores any lost strength, clears bad luck,
>unblinds you, and resets your hunger. "A general grab-bag of Good
>Stuff, but nothing major"; and no points of AC. That's the "Thou hast
>pleased me with thy progress, and thus I grant thee the gift of my
>protection!" result.

One of those really interferes with my funky flow:
pyrnef onq yhpx

Vs V'z nygne pnzcvat, V'z gelvat irel uneq gb xrrc zl yhpx ng n pregnva
yriry. Rayvtugrazrag vf gbb rkcrafvir gb eryl ba. Whttyvat
phefrq/abaphefrq yhpxfgbarf, ybbxvat tynffrf, gevcf gb fbxb, naq havpbea
rssrpgf vf n ybg bs jbex, ohg gur cnlbss vf gur -128 anxrq NP...

Still, one of the effects ups your max hp. I don't tend to notice; HP
past a few thousand doesn't seem important enough to notice anymore :-)
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:13:44 PM

james wrote:

> One of those really interferes with my funky flow:
> pyrnef onq yhpx

It clears bad luck. It doesn't increase luck from 7 to 10.

--
Boudewijn.