Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 game CTDs *help

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 10, 2010 3:06:17 PM

Hello Tom’s residents,

First of all I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. =]

I am in need of some assistance. I recently built a computer and am having stability issues with Windows 7. I am having a problem with games crashing to desktop and freezing randomly on my system. I have gone through the following tests:

Three Different video cards, AMD and Nvidia, all crashed at some point.

Ran Memtest 86 + (the most up-to-date version) off a CD and after 12 hours no errors.
Driver swept and installed every driver possible with no success. Games crash anywhere from 30 seconds in to one hour gaming.
DXDIAG comes back with no errors.
Removed all overclocks.

My system specs as follows:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel i7 860 @ 4.01 GHz with Thermalright MUX 120 Heatsink
MSI GD-85 P55
EVGA 480 GTX
Corsair 8GB ddr3 @ 1600   8-8-8-24
Intel X-25 80GB SSD
WD Caviar 1 TB storage drive.
Blu-ray optical drive.

Ambient temp @ 28 C , Processor idles anywhere between 28-40 C (depending on OC), and video card goes up to 80 C under load  (Fermi is a hot one).

Please help; I would really appreciate some input.

Thank you,

Manny

More about : windows game ctds

May 10, 2010 5:12:25 PM

80 C for a 480's not actually that bad!

Which games are we talking about here?

What's event viewer saying? Just generic 'program stopped responding'?
m
l
May 10, 2010 5:37:13 PM

Thanks for your response!

The games I play are BF:BC2 , MW2, Dirt 2 and other codemaster racing games.

Sometimes it will simply crash with no message. Other times it will give me a "program has stopped responding " pop up with different error codes. The errors sometimes have nvidia display driver crash, other times it will say c000005 or something like that =\

Sorry for the lack of info. I'm at work on an iPhone haha. Any tips are appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2010 5:42:21 PM

Hmm, if you've already used driversweeper and updated to the latest ones then I'm at a bit of a loss, not heard of any problems yet but sounds like perhaps Fermi is having some driver issues.
m
l
May 10, 2010 5:50:27 PM

I thought it might be but I've gotten two 5870's and both have given same issues. So I think there might be some other type of issue
m
l
May 10, 2010 9:15:45 PM

That is strange!

All I can really recommend then is a fresh installation, sorry for the lack of anything particularly constructive but there's not much else I can think of.

Perhaps a full error check of your hdd's would be worthwhile as well, also what PSU are you using? Not that I can imagine it would cause this kind of a problem, but best to rule it out anyway.
m
l
May 11, 2010 12:02:02 AM

Thanks Flaminggerbil (lol)

I updated my SSD firmware and installed fresh windows on it.

My power supply is a 1000 watt Corsair HX. I bought it for possible SLI in the near future ;)  .

What error checking program do you recommend for the HDD's?

Thank you for helping, will let you know results.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2010 2:13:53 PM

Did you buy a retail version of Windows 7?
m
l
May 18, 2010 4:31:25 PM

I thought I'd update this old thread. I finally found the problem. One of my four sticks of ram wasn't working properly. I tested each individually and one did no post. Corsair sent me a new kit and tada, no crashes. Thanks for all your help guys.
m
l
May 18, 2010 8:58:43 PM

Unfortunately memtest does seem to fail at finding errors quite often. :( 
m
l
!