TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I READ YOUR POST ON OVERCLOCKING OEM BOARDS AND CELERONS LAST WEEK. I HAVE AN HP PAVILION THAT HAD A 633 CELERON IN IT, I UPGRADED TO AN 800, THEN READ THE POST, I BROKE OFF THE PIN AND REINSTALLED THE 633, BIOS PICKED IT UP AS AN 950 CELERON BUT COMPUTER WOULD NOT BOOT. SO IM BACK TO THE 800. Now the 633 says 1.65v on it and the 800 says 1.7v, does installing these cpus automatically change the voltage as it does the fsb or do i have to solder pins together to get that done, and also what do u think about the computer not booting with the 633 and the broken pin.
system:
celery 800
192 mb pc100 memory
voodoo 4 4500 32mb
ac 97 onboard
cognac(asus) motherboard with intel i810 chipset

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll give you $30 for the processor.
Seriously, did I mention that you should VERIFY the ability of the processor on another board? I had a 633 that would not overclock, but since yours actually gets far enough to show that it's at 950, I think yours will. You have to connect VID3 to VSS to get higher voltage. On a 1.65v processor, that jumps you up to 2.05v! From 2.05v you can drop it to a safer 1.85v by bending away VID2.
Now, how to connect Vid3 to VSS? Two methods, both work. The first method is to take some fine wire and twist it around the two pins, leaving the tail hanging out the side, until tight (tight enough so they make good contact, which you can check by seeing if it doesn't fall off). Then you simply trim the tail and install the CPU.
My favorite way is to solder the points on the back of the board. Although this is more permanent, it would not affect the voltage of your 800 if you chose to switch back to it, as the 800 already has Vid3 connected internally. I use a 35 watt soldering iron to do it (actually, my wifes woodburner, don't tell her!).
Of coarse it will creat more heat-if you suffer from system hard locks at 1.85v, I suggest you get a better cooler.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
crash send me a message if you want to buy this chip, i sent you one, dont know if you got it though. and thanks for the help