gnomes and stoning, spoily i guess

Are there any wacky messages concerning gnomes and being stoned by
something (chickatrice, cockatrice, medusa, etc)? I know when one is
hallucinating and one consumes a lizard corpse, quaffs a potion of acid or
eats an acidic corpse then there's a message of "What a pity - you just
ruined a future piece of fine art!" (depending on your charisma score).
I was just wondering if there were any messages joking about gardens and
whatnot.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Are there any wacky messages concerning gnomes and being stoned by
> something (chickatrice, cockatrice, medusa, etc)? I know when one is
> hallucinating and one consumes a lizard corpse, quaffs a potion of acid or
> eats an acidic corpse then there's a message of "What a pity - you just
> ruined a future piece of fine art!" (depending on your charisma score).
> I was just wondering if there were any messages joking about gardens and
> whatnot.

As far as I am aware, no. But I think it's obvious that there should
be.

- John H.

John H. wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> > Are there any wacky messages concerning gnomes and being stoned by
> > I was just wondering if there were any messages joking about gardens and
> > whatnot.
>
> As far as I am aware, no. But I think it's obvious that there should
> be.

Especially if wearing a pointy hat, which are of course available in
nethack, or a wielding a fishing pole, which is available in .

Hmmm, do you think maybe the non-wizard-charisma-hit for wearing
cornuthaums should be removed for gnomish characters?

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, do you think maybe the non-wizard-charisma-hit for wearing
> > cornuthaums should be removed for gnomish characters?
>
> Not every pointy hat is a cornuthaum...

No, but a pointy hat is a pointy hat, whether it's a cornuthaum or not.
Gnomes should receive something- some kind of bonus/ reduction in
penalty or just a YAFM for wearing any pointy hat. (And/or carrying a
fishing rod.)

Or maybe a new monster- the garden gnome- could be added to the game.
This monster would be generated with a pointy hat of random type and a
fishing rod. Would be a very handy little critter to encounter in
slashem...

--
Boudewijn.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Hmmm, do you think maybe the non-wizard-charisma-hit for wearing
>> > cornuthaums should be removed for gnomish characters?
>>
>> Not every pointy hat is a cornuthaum...
>
> No, but a pointy hat is a pointy hat, whether it's a cornuthaum or not.
> Gnomes should receive something- some kind of bonus/ reduction in
> penalty or just a YAFM for wearing any pointy hat. (And/or carrying a
> fishing rod.)

And charisma should act as some function of the name of the shopkeeper,
as some hate garden gnomes.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 01:25:33 -0700, dogscoff wrote:

> John H. wrote:
>> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>> > Are there any wacky messages concerning gnomes and being stoned by
>> > I was just wondering if there were any messages joking about gardens
>> > and whatnot.
>>
>> As far as I am aware, no. But I think it's obvious that there should
>> be.
>
> Especially if wearing a pointy hat, which are of course available in
> nethack, or a wielding a fishing pole, which is available in .
>
> Hmmm, do you think maybe the non-wizard-charisma-hit for wearing
> cornuthaums should be removed for gnomish characters?

But the tradeoff would be a reduction in time it takes to turn to stone.

Other cute, dumb ideas:

"You find a gnome posing as a statue. Guess he wasn't a garden gnome!"

On minetown level, if a gnome is in the town area: "You hear a ticking
sound." (Metro gnomes)

Gnomish wizards have a 5% chance of carrying wands of cold. (Nome, Alaska)

"Hello, player! Welcome to Syktywkar's liquor emporium."
(A gnome enters.)
"Gnorm!"

--
"We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting