help me build p4

i'm trying to build a p4 system and i've picked some of the components. please give me some advice for better components. i'm gonna use it mainly for office works, sometimes graphic designing and gaming(i'm not a heavy gamer)

cpu
p4 1.4g (almost same price as 1.3g, but much cheaper than 1.5g, performance on par i guess)

motherboard
INTEL D850GB (read review on tomshardware, doesn't look too bad. is there a better perfomance/price board? Are there motherboards with isa slots?)

memory
rdram256mb

g. card
suma platinum gforce2 mx 32mb

s. card
creative soundblaster

n. card
3com 3C905B

hdisk
samsung 30gb

and another question. i came across this
uata 40g uata40g uata40g c/w ide raid controller
uata 40g scsi 72g 40g scsi 72g
(that's exactly as i saw it)
any clue what they mean? does uata means ata100? ata160? raid controller? guess that's all. yes i don't know much about computer,that's why i'm asking. i'd love to build an amd system but that's what my brother wants.budget is for performance/price (for p4 system).please help.thanks
38 answers Last reply
More about help build
  1. I refuse to be a party to the building of any P4 system, there is simply no justification either in performance or price.

If you'd like to build an AMD system however I'd be happy to help you. :-)

I AM Canadian.
  2. too bad :) as i've said, my brother wants p4. me, i prefer amd of course. thanx for the reply anyway
  3. p4 1.3ghz
    asus p4t
    overclock to 133fsb
    1.72ghz
  4. P4 1.5Ghz
    Asus P4T
    Geforce3
    Overclock almost to 2Ghz without exotic cooling.

I was laughing at toms latest article on budget watercooling for $115.. what a pathetic joke.
  5. guess you can't read....he is not into gaming so why would he need a geforce3?

For what this guy is doing a p3 or tbird would be better.
    I would tell him sorry you can't build it. Think about this, you are going to build this overpriced box when he could do just fine with a p3866 or tbird900...he would not see the difference.

Have you asked him why he wants a p4?

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.
  6. i guess p4's performance doesn't justify it's price yet. gotta tell my bro to pick other system. i've overclocked a duron but never a pentium, with all those fix multipliers. i'm not gonna oc intel cpu. things might go wrong(i prefer my money then a few hundreds mhz). not sure my bro will agree. anyway thanks for the replies everybody.
  7. "i'm not gonna oc intel cpu. things might go wrong"

Um, your mistaken with AMD. Intel processors are very durable and take alot of punishment. I doubt you can hurt your Intel CPU (overclocked and remove HSF and you still will not hurt the Intel CPU)

Geforce3 is a very nice card, not just for games. he was planning on spending 2k, and a great P4 machine will come in around 1k. go figure where he wants to spend the extra money. P4 is superior with video and graphics so why not get a optimized card when the budget permits?

Go with the P4. you cannot beat the stability and compatability going with AMD.
  8. the only problem with that is the fact it say that he will be doing video sometimes and mostly office apps everybody knows that the p4 dose hav a chance of beeting the p3 or the atholon in this field

anyways who care if you have a p4 if you have to have half ram to get and that ram that you couldn't get would speed up the video a lot
  9. Fukker-
    So basically all u can do is flame anti-amd bs but when someone has a real intel question u can’t answer it. Wow u really are worthless.

mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”
  10. The guys listed what he wanted, whitch is fine. notihng wrong with a Intel mobo. I made suggestion on different setup or did you not notice that in while contemplating what to flame me with? GG

Look at the first posted after this thread was started. yeah its some dipshit like yourself. I didnt notice you flaming him...

So take your lame attempt to discredit me and shove it deep, cause if I see it again I will personally shove it deeper.
  11. So u are saying that buy boogy asking:

“and another question. i came across this
    uata 40g uata40g uata40g c/w ide raid controller
    uata 40g scsi 72g 40g scsi 72g
    (that's exactly as i saw it)
    any clue what they mean? does uata means ata100? ata160? raid controller? guess that's all. yes i don't know much about computer,that's why i'm asking. i'd love to build an amd system but that's what my brother wants.budget is for performance/price (for p4 system).please help.thanks”

and u repling with this highly thought out statement it is helping
    fukker:
    “P4 1.5Ghz
    Asus P4T
    Geforce3
    Overclock almost to 2Ghz without exotic cooling.

I was laughing at toms latest article on budget watercooling for $115.. what a pathetic joke.”

On second thought if u were useless u would be even more helpful. Craw back in to your hole and go back to jerking off to your blue man group poster.

mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”
  12. Rotflmao at the love in this thread. Lol and the tech. illiterat, AMD/Intel fanatic, idoits are just icing on the cake.

I AM Canadian.
  13. Better for graphics? What kind of graphics? Just so you know you discredit yourself enough. Ever wonder why everyone thinks you are an ass? Look at your posts...

14. Better for lemmings? What kind of lemmings? Just so you know you discredit yourself enough. Ever wonder why everyone thinks you are an ass? Look at your posts...

MFG you lemmings are getting lammer by the minute.

Geforce3 > Geforce2 ok? if you have a problem figuring that out I feel sorry for you. maybe you want argue that some or something more stupid.
  15. Lay of the crack.
  16. I suggest a P4 1.5 with a P4T who is the best mothers board for P4 and have a oveclock feature (manuel jumber).ATI radeon can get the best for you.
  17. Listen if your Bro's is gonna build a P4 (Forgive him Lord)
    wait for Northwood. He's be stuck with it and no way to upgrade, he's be better off with a P3 or an Athlon. Even the new P3 that just came out is more promising than the current P4. Fukker can say what he wants about AMD systems
    but u be the judge for yourself. Your the one building the system not him.

"If I could get a Dollar for all the trash that comes out FuGGER's Mouth i'd be more L33t than Bill himself"
  18. I would recommend the Asus P4T for the current P4. But remember that the new version of the P4 is out soon and will put the old version to rest. If your going to build a system on a platform that has no future, I suggest the PIII 1GHz on the Asus CUSL2. Much cheaper, performs admirably, will run any current software at a faster speed than you actually need. In fact it should be good even for gamers for around three years, as long as you keep the video card up to date.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
  19. Hey get real P4 under win 2000 was clealy win by P4 by a good marge.Hey dont liste to the AMD zelot they tell you that t-bird is better for video who is totaly false.
  20. either i get northwood or else current p4 and p3 offer no upgrade. not sure when northwood will come out. which narrow my choice to p3( better price). should tell me bro to spend more on gcard. wise move eh?. i envy those who live in us. prices here almost double the us prices. by the way i've posted my hdisk question at hdisk section and got my answer. thanks for taking time guys.
  21. Intel has two strikes against them: The PIII 1.13 and the the current PIV. There is probably no way they are going to strike out so just wait for the Northwood. By the time it is released you can make an educated decision as to whether you want to buy the Northwood or the AMD Palamino.

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>
  22. Danny,

I'm neither Pro AMD or Intel, but after trying to absorb all the information here at THG, I'm drowning in information overload.

Obviously, to have a great system you have to have great components and a lot of memory. (A great OS would be nice also if anyone could point me to one) Anyway, in *my* opinion graphics are at the top of the list if you're into serious gaming, and while I'm not a heavy gamer, I just purchased Riven and noticed how wonderful graphics could be.. So I'm looking at the reviews and charts here at THG and it *Seems* that the P4 *IS* better optimizied for graphics than AMD. Is the difference significant ? I don't know.

I also am ready to either buy or build another system, my old PII is a dog when it comes to audio and graphics editing, (which is what I'm more into than gaming).

Now if everyone could just leave their petty bickering at the door, maybe we could get some decent input in regards to CPU's... Also, whats this Northwood stuff I've been reading about hee ?

Thanks,

BTW....

<font color=blue>I am NOT Canadian </font color=blue> :cool:
  23. Two big probleme AMD have the reputation of unstable......... and heating.

Cool plus besoins de heater rouvre l'ordi.
  24. For P3 is not sure.
  25. The Northwood is the next revision of the P4. The current P4 was more or less a premature release--it's stable, but enough features got left out that it performs badly in many situations. In situations like video editing and DivX ripping, the P4 pulls ahead. In situations like CAD and 3D design (i.e. Maya, 3DSMax), it can't keep up with an Athlon, and sometimes can't even keep up with a P3.

The Northwood may have all the missing features added, or it may just have a larger cache, or anywhere in between. Truth is, we don't have reliable info yet. What's certain is that Northwood will require a new motherboard--it fits in a different CPU socket than the current P4. There are rumors of a socket converter to make the Northwood fit in current P4 sockets, but so far they're unconfirmed.

To decide which CPU will do best for you, you'll just have to check out the benchmarks for the apps you use. Also, don't expect SSE2 optimizations to automatically make the P4 an absolute performance leader. SSE2 optimizations do give the P4 a performance benefit, but often not enough to pull ahead of the rest. Case in point is the latest Photoshop benchmarks at AnandTech.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
  26. memory...make sure you get two 128 sticks and not one 256 stick you will need two sticks of RDRAM to make use of its dual channel architecture.

g. card matter of personal preference, myself I would opt for the Radeon LE in that price range, better 2d quality.

s. card... again matter of personal preference you might want to check into some of Phillips offerings, and if you are not into gaming much and don;t plan on playing alot of music on the comp you can save some money here.

n. card I like your choice here.

hdisk.....Samsumgs generally are not top performers, try IBM, Quantum AS, or even a Maxtor.

motherboard.... preferably the ASUS, but if you do not plan on overclocking this may not be much of a factor.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
  27. also try aopen motherboard. Well a very good designed boards some sites call them "super models" base that the layout is so good.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
  28. Then Pull your pants up Fugger
  29. Hey Fugger where is the list? AMD is unstable...where is the proof?

Anybody that is buying a p4 system for home....that is crazy! Even if you have 2k to spend, go with a p3 or tbird and get a better monitor maybe some nice speakers. Don't blow your money on intels marketing hype.

Anybody that tells you to get a p4 for home us has issues.

30. reputation of unstable? the only reputation it has is the misrepresented cr@p that you and your friends spew out.

Honestly - I really try to be reasonable, but you just don't get it. Oh - and it's 2am and my patience buffers are low.

Athlons are hotter than PIIIs. Yeah - and, what's your point?

Athlons need drivers for their motherboards. BFD, my Intel board needs a driver for the soundcard - does that make Intel junk?

Jeez..

-* This Space For Rent *-
    email for application details
  31. kelledin,

Thanks for the update on Northwood. One final question, what is SSE2 ?

Thanks,

David...
  32. Our latest tests left us almost speechless. The SiS reference board - sporting the brand new SiS 735 chipset - clearly beats the competition with the AMD 760 module in terms of performance. More than that, the SiS reference is impressive due to its perfect system stability, something previously unheard of from this Taiwanese manufacturer.

So SIS make lesser chipset in the past that intel.Keep in mind INTEL is the base (reference).Toms say that the new chipset was very stable.I was thinking that stability and riability is test over a year.

ALI turn nowIn this test it was quite clear: In making the boards, the manufacturers had two variations to choose from: either stable and weak performance, or high performance combined with unstable operation. We saw this in the test with various BIOS versions, which caused up to a 10 percent difference in overall performance. This is the ALi Magik 1 at a not yet fully mature stage. Often several test candidates crashed during the determination of test results.

Or slower that intel or less stable.

We have already seen one other Taiwanese chipset maker failing to live up to the qualities of AMD's DDR-chipset. The performance of ALi's MaGiK1 chipset is anything but as 'magic' as its name would like to make you believe. Then there is VIA's Apollo KT133A chipset. It comes with 'old fashioned' PC133-support, but works with Athlon processors that run their processor bus at '266' MHz (in reality 133 MHz 'double-pumped'). Even AMD's 760 chipset had problems to provide significantly better performance than this 'beefed up' version of VIA's original Apollo KT133 chipset. Will the DDR-product from the same 'breed' be able to leave its older sibling far behind?

That part is 2 in 1 VIA/ALI

Taiwanese motherboard maker won't make this choice easy for you though. As it seems, VIA's Apollo KT266 is about $10 cheaper than AMD's 760. This is reason enough to produce more KT266 DDR-motherboards than AMD760-motherboards. There is also the rumor that AMD has problems supplying reasonable volumes of AMD760. As a result you will see hyped DDR-platforms with ALi or VIA chipset all over the place. The best way to handle this fuss is to ask yourself if you really need top performance. VIA's Apollo KT133A still provides a reliable and very well performing Athlon platform and it only requires the cheaper PC133 SDRAM. If you really want DDR, go AMD760

That part is 3 in 1 VIA/SIS/ALI.

It is mainly because of VIA that the Socket462 platform for AMD processors can be found on so many motherboards. AMD's success in the processor business could undoubtedly extend even further if the microprocessor maker decided to offer its own chipsets in larger quantities. Archenemy and rival Intel has been showing the way for years - only Intel chipsets use Intel processors to their full potential when it comes to performance. And there are almost no problems with defective driver support of deactivated functions, as still seen rather frequently with VIA chipsets.

I can found many of this.ALL come from tomshardware.com

Say want you want.La ou il y a de la fumer il ya du feu.
  33. Quote:
    Two big probleme AMD have the reputation of unstable......... and heating.

That's not true. Don't make up stuff or spread rumors. The CPU is not unstable. What are you talking about? The t-bird's generate a lot of heat, but that is what the HSF is for. If a person builds a computer and doesn't include a good HSF installed correctly, then that is hardly the CPU's fault. If a person is unable to do so there are many that can for a mere $30 or less.

You constantly talk out of your bunghole. Please stop.

<font color=red>We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. - Eisenhower</font color=red>
  34. Ok, that latest "analysis" on your part is just ridiculous. Maybe you're having a hard time with the language, or maybe you're just an idiot, but you need to stop spewing noise out of your piehole.

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Do you even know the difference between a motherboard, chipset, and a CPU?

<font color=red>We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. - Eisenhower</font color=red>
  35. Quote:
    Our latest tests left us almost speechless. The SiS reference board - sporting the brand new SiS 735 chipset - clearly beats the competition with the AMD 760 module in terms of performance. More than that, the SiS reference is impressive due to its perfect system stability, something previously unheard of from this Taiwanese manufacturer.

So SIS make lesser chipset in the past that intel.Keep in mind INTEL is the base (reference).Toms say that the new chipset was very stable.I was thinking that stability and riability is test over a year.

ALI turn nowIn this test it was quite clear: In making the boards, the manufacturers had two variations to choose from: either stable and weak performance, or high performance combined with unstable operation. We saw this in the test with various BIOS versions, which caused up to a 10 percent difference in overall performance. This is the ALi Magik 1 at a not yet fully mature stage. Often several test candidates crashed during the determination of test results.

Or slower that intel or less stable

[sarcasm]Yes - you are absolutely correct, Intel is definitely the reference when it comes to benchmarking AMD cpus on AMD and Tiawanese chipsets. If you would like to direct me to the Intel chipset motherbard that the Sis735 was compared against I'll have a look.[/sarcasm]

As for the rest of your post - I found 1 nugget of information in there, regarding Via chipset and AMD.

Quote:
    And there are almost no problems with defective driver support of deactivated functions, as still seen rather frequently with VIA chipsets

Which indicates to me that there have been issues in the past with Via hardware, there have been some, but fewer issues with Intel chipsets, and that has absolutely nothing to do with your post. No-one argues that there have never been problems with Via - so what - big deal - I do not have any probs with my system and neither do most people who can read. Some get bad boards or bad kit, or buy early and get 'pre-release' without adequate driver support or debugging. Big deal - Intel are hardly angels on that either.

-* This Space For Rent *-
    email for application details
  36. Quote:
    Two big probleme AMD have the reputation of unstable......... and heating.

I supposed you didn't know P4 generates a lot of heat as AMD TB if not higher!
    About <b>unstable</b>
    What do you think why <font color=blue>AMD</font color=blue> gains more market shares every year if it's unstable???

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  37. Quote:
    Do you even know the difference between a motherboard, chipset, and a CPU?

I don't think he does.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Build Components