G

i'm trying to build a p4 system and i've picked some of the components. please give me some advice for better components. i'm gonna use it mainly for office works, sometimes graphic designing and gaming(i'm not a heavy gamer)

cpu
p4 1.4g (almost same price as 1.3g, but much cheaper than 1.5g, performance on par i guess)

motherboard
INTEL D850GB (read review on tomshardware, doesn't look too bad. is there a better perfomance/price board? Are there motherboards with isa slots?)

memory
rdram256mb

g. card
suma platinum gforce2 mx 32mb

s. card
creative soundblaster

n. card
3com 3C905B

hdisk
samsung 30gb

and another question. i came across this
uata 40g uata40g uata40g c/w ide raid controller
uata 40g scsi 72g 40g scsi 72g
(that's exactly as i saw it)
any clue what they mean? does uata means ata100? ata160? raid controller? guess that's all. yes i don't know much about computer,that's why i'm asking. i'd love to build an amd system but that's what my brother wants.budget is for performance/price (for p4 system).please help.thanks

G

I refuse to be a party to the building of any P4 system, there is simply no justification either in performance or price.

If you'd like to build an AMD system however I'd be happy to help you. :)

I AM Canadian.

G

too bad :) as i've said, my brother wants p4. me, i prefer amd of course. thanx for the reply anyway

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
P4 1.5Ghz
Asus P4T
Geforce3
Overclock almost to 2Ghz without exotic cooling.

I was laughing at toms latest article on budget watercooling for $115.. what a pathetic joke.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
guess you can't read....he is not into gaming so why would he need a geforce3?

For what this guy is doing a p3 or tbird would be better.
I would tell him sorry you can't build it. Think about this, you are going to build this overpriced box when he could do just fine with a p3866 or tbird900...he would not see the difference.

Have you asked him why he wants a p4?

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

G

i guess p4's performance doesn't justify it's price yet. gotta tell my bro to pick other system. i've overclocked a duron but never a pentium, with all those fix multipliers. i'm not gonna oc intel cpu. things might go wrong(i prefer my money then a few hundreds mhz). not sure my bro will agree. anyway thanks for the replies everybody.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"i'm not gonna oc intel cpu. things might go wrong"

Um, your mistaken with AMD. Intel processors are very durable and take alot of punishment. I doubt you can hurt your Intel CPU (overclocked and remove HSF and you still will not hurt the Intel CPU)

Geforce3 is a very nice card, not just for games. he was planning on spending 2k, and a great P4 machine will come in around 1k. go figure where he wants to spend the extra money. P4 is superior with video and graphics so why not get a optimized card when the budget permits?

Go with the P4. you cannot beat the stability and compatability going with AMD.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the only problem with that is the fact it say that he will be doing video sometimes and mostly office apps everybody knows that the p4 dose hav a chance of beeting the p3 or the atholon in this field

anyways who care if you have a p4 if you have to have half ram to get and that ram that you couldn't get would speed up the video a lot

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Fukker-
So basically all u can do is flame anti-amd bs but when someone has a real intel question u can’t answer it. Wow u really are worthless.

mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The guys listed what he wanted, whitch is fine. notihng wrong with a Intel mobo. I made suggestion on different setup or did you not notice that in while contemplating what to flame me with? GG

Look at the first posted after this thread was started. yeah its some dipshit like yourself. I didnt notice you flaming him...

So take your lame attempt to discredit me and shove it deep, cause if I see it again I will personally shove it deeper.

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
So u are saying that buy boogy asking:

“and another question. i came across this
uata 40g uata40g uata40g c/w ide raid controller
uata 40g scsi 72g 40g scsi 72g
(that's exactly as i saw it)
any clue what they mean? does uata means ata100? ata160? raid controller? guess that's all. yes i don't know much about computer,that's why i'm asking. i'd love to build an amd system but that's what my brother wants.budget is for performance/price (for p4 system).please help.thanks”

and u repling with this highly thought out statement it is helping
fukker:
“P4 1.5Ghz
Asus P4T
Geforce3
Overclock almost to 2Ghz without exotic cooling.

I was laughing at toms latest article on budget watercooling for $115.. what a pathetic joke.”

On second thought if u were useless u would be even more helpful. Craw back in to your hole and go back to jerking off to your blue man group poster.

mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

G

Rotflmao at the love in this thread. Lol and the tech. illiterat, AMD/Intel fanatic, idoits are just icing on the cake.

I AM Canadian.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Better for graphics? What kind of graphics? Just so you know you discredit yourself enough. Ever wonder why everyone thinks you are an ass? Look at your posts...

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Better for lemmings? What kind of lemmings? Just so you know you discredit yourself enough. Ever wonder why everyone thinks you are an ass? Look at your posts...

MFG you lemmings are getting lammer by the minute.

Geforce3 > Geforce2 ok? if you have a problem figuring that out I feel sorry for you. maybe you want argue that some or something more stupid.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I suggest a P4 1.5 with a P4T who is the best mothers board for P4 and have a oveclock feature (manuel jumber).ATI radeon can get the best for you.

Listen if your Bro's is gonna build a P4 (Forgive him Lord)
wait for Northwood. He's be stuck with it and no way to upgrade, he's be better off with a P3 or an Athlon. Even the new P3 that just came out is more promising than the current P4. Fukker can say what he wants about AMD systems
but u be the judge for yourself. Your the one building the system not him.

"If I could get a Dollar for all the trash that comes out FuGGER's Mouth i'd be more L33t than Bill himself"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would recommend the Asus P4T for the current P4. But remember that the new version of the P4 is out soon and will put the old version to rest. If your going to build a system on a platform that has no future, I suggest the PIII 1GHz on the Asus CUSL2. Much cheaper, performs admirably, will run any current software at a faster speed than you actually need. In fact it should be good even for gamers for around three years, as long as you keep the video card up to date.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Hey get real P4 under win 2000 was clealy win by P4 by a good marge.Hey dont liste to the AMD zelot they tell you that t-bird is better for video who is totaly false.

G

either i get northwood or else current p4 and p3 offer no upgrade. not sure when northwood will come out. which narrow my choice to p3( better price). should tell me bro to spend more on gcard. wise move eh?. i envy those who live in us. prices here almost double the us prices. by the way i've posted my hdisk question at hdisk section and got my answer. thanks for taking time guys.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Intel has two strikes against them: The PIII 1.13 and the the current PIV. There is probably no way they are going to strike out so just wait for the Northwood. By the time it is released you can make an educated decision as to whether you want to buy the Northwood or the AMD Palamino.

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>

G

Danny,

I'm neither Pro AMD or Intel, but after trying to absorb all the information here at THG, I'm drowning in information overload.

Obviously, to have a great system you have to have great components and a lot of memory. (A great OS would be nice also if anyone could point me to one) Anyway, in *my* opinion graphics are at the top of the list if you're into serious gaming, and while I'm not a heavy gamer, I just purchased Riven and noticed how wonderful graphics could be.. So I'm looking at the reviews and charts here at THG and it *Seems* that the P4 *IS* better optimizied for graphics than AMD. Is the difference significant ? I don't know.

I also am ready to either buy or build another system, my old PII is a dog when it comes to audio and graphics editing, (which is what I'm more into than gaming).

Now if everyone could just leave their petty bickering at the door, maybe we could get some decent input in regards to CPU's... Also, whats this Northwood stuff I've been reading about hee ?

Thanks,

BTW....

<font color=blue>I am NOT Canadian </font color=blue> :cool: