Angry Shopkeeper

Ok, I accidently attacked a shopkeeper while blind (pressed the wrong
key, stupid, I know) and got a message saying he's mad at me.
Remembering how strong shopkeepers are I ran. Its been a long while (I
had to find my cat, then got jumped by 2 nymphs and a lepracan and had
to chase them with a sling for a while) but I havn't seen him and his
wand. So I'm wondering if I can pacify him and go back into the shop
without dying. I'm not even 100% sure it was the shopkeeper I attacked.
If it makes a diffrence I'm a Level 9 Female Valrikie with 93 max HP,
AC -5 and 588 gold. I've got lots of stuff I wish I could sell, can I
pacify him or do I go looking for a diffrent shop? I searched the net
and this goupe before posting this BTW and most of the stuff was for
version 3.3.1 or so

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Paul E Collins wrote:

> "Canageek" <Canageek@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I accidently attacked a shopkeeper while blind (pressed
>> the wrong key, stupid, I know) and got a message saying he's
>> mad at me. [...] I'm wondering if I can pacify him and go back
>> into the shop without dying.
>
> If you can stand next to him and read a scroll of taming, he'll "calm
> down".
>
> You could also try to "pacify" him with a wand of death or polymorph
> :)
>
> P.

I find that the latter suggestion might work. Why bother selling items
when you can get some serious cash? A valk with 93HP is in a good position
to whomp on a shopkeeper. Unless your AC is really horrible. I don't run
from shopkeepers after a certain point.

Wands of fire, lightning, cold, and magic missile are nice, too. Polymorph
avoids the (rot13ing) "Lbh zheqrere!" message.

(apologies in advance about any formatting issues, I'm trying out Pine as
a newsreader and this is my first post with it)

Paul E Collins wrote:
> "Canageek" <Canageek@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Ok, I accidently attacked a shopkeeper while blind (pressed
>>the wrong key, stupid, I know) and got a message saying he's
>>mad at me. [...] I'm wondering if I can pacify him and go back
>>into the shop without dying.
>

> If you can stand next to him and read a scroll of taming, he'll "calm
> down".
>
> You could also try to "pacify" him with a wand of death or polymorph
> :)

Remember that you'll only pacify him if he would normally be tamed; if
his chance to resist kicks in, you're out of luck.

Polymorph is a great way to deal with the problem if you have it. Just
be prepared to zap a few times in case you get something you can't
handle. Also watch for the bounce.

Andy Johnson wrote:

> Polymorph is a great way to deal with the problem if you have it. Just
> be prepared to zap a few times in case you get something you can't
> handle. Also watch for the bounce.

I've never seen polymorph bounce; I suspect that it doesn't.

Raisse, killed by a system shock

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> Andy Johnson wrote:
>

>>Polymorph is a great way to deal with the problem if you have it. Just
>>be prepared to zap a few times in case you get something you can't
>>handle. Also watch for the bounce.
>

> I've never seen polymorph bounce; I suspect that it doesn't.
>
> Raisse, killed by a system shock

Good point, it's an instant spell like Striking, not a ray spell like
Magic Missile. But I suppose the advice still applies for a wand of death.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> Andy Johnson wrote:
>
> > Polymorph is a great way to deal with the problem if you have it. Just
> > be prepared to zap a few times in case you get something you can't
> > handle. Also watch for the bounce.
>
> I've never seen polymorph bounce; I suspect that it doesn't.

It's a beam, not a ray. So I guess it does not bounce.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.