Tualatin wh00ps some mayor ass

insane

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Just read Tom's early look on Tualatin. Man this is one hot CPU. Where as P4 is lacking (beating AMD in Sandra) Tualatin wh00ps their ass. Check this:

Sandra CPU performance

AMD Tbird 1.33 1822/3747
Tualatin@1419 1905/3988

Sandra MUltimedia performance

AMD Tbird 1.33 9082/7469
Tualatin@1419 9595/7729

Yeah for sure it's a damn fast CPU and i wonder how well the new Northwood will be. If it's the same performance boost as P3 the P4 will whipe the floor with the competition. All the heavy investments of intel is starting to pay off after all. Long life Intel (i own a AMD which is suck)

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but do you even read the reviews or just look at the pictures.

Tom's comments:
The overclocked Tualatin-256 is able to beat the whole competition in raw integer performance. Be reminded however, that this result is not reflected in the real-world benchmarks we ran.
I'm not dissin' the chip or anything, but it's just a faster clock version of the Coppermine with <b>minor</b> architechure changes. It has already been proven that an equivelently clocked T-Bird will outperform the P3, although only marginally. The price difference however, <i>is</i> the cherry on the cake.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

G

I'll have to agree with agmcgarry here. When overclocked to he|| (which is impressive itself of course), it beats the competition in a synthetic benchmark which never seems to correlate well with real world benchmarks.

I'll be interested when (if?) it is released with these higher clock speeds, and with the bigger cache.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah there will never be a true picture of how the chips perform respective to each other. We don't even know if the Tualatin is running on a .18 or .13 micron process.

It will be interesting over the next couple of months when
Athlon4 .13 <i>VS</i> Northwood .13 <i>VS</i> Tualatin .13

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
You guy's DO realise FSB speed in sandra makes a HUGE impact right???
First off Tom's comparing a stock 1.33GHz T-Bird Vs. a Tualatin 1.13 OC'd to 1.409 or whatever.......with a 166mHz FSB!!!! thats a big significant difference....
if you can/could...run the T-Bird 1.33 @ a FSB speed of 166mHz and drop the multiplier to 8.5X or whatever as the tualatin and give exact same MHz ratings and see which one's better.....we all know the answer to that already.....and BTW....why didn't Tom use the 1.4gHz T-Bird......would've been a much more fair comparison....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

G

<<<You guy's DO realise FSB speed in sandra makes a HUGE impact right???
First off Tom's comparing a stock 1.33GHz T-Bird Vs. a Tualatin 1.13 OC'd to 1.409 or whatever.......with a 166mHz FSB!!!! thats a big significant difference....>>>

i agree that comparing a o/c processor to a stock cpu is retarted, however toms(#1 amd fan) has man of times compared overclocked athlons to p4's and amd fans all across the earth have spewed about how fast they are.

<<<if you can/could...run the T-Bird 1.33 @ a FSB speed of 166mHz and drop the multiplier to 8.5X or whatever as the tualatin and give exact same MHz ratings and see which one's better.....we all know the answer to that already.....>>>

because he can't

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Doesnt the Tbird use a (133)266mhz DDR FSB and the p4 a (100)400mhz QDR fsb. Well 166 fsb doesnt seems as that fast. Please explain ?

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
You should know by now the difference between double and quad pumped FSB speeds and true FSB speeds. They are not the same. Read some old articles and find out.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just goes to show that a 1.33 tburnt is a pos missing thermo diode and getting bent over by the lil' tualatin.

the Northwood will continue the rampage. AMD zealots THE PARTY IS OVER!!!

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How can Northwood continue to do something, when it is not even doing ot yet!

Duuuhhhhh!
1+1 = 5

G

<<<Doesnt the Tbird use a (133)266mhz DDR FSB and the p4 a (100)400mhz QDR fsb. Well 166 fsb doesnt seems as that fast. Please explain ?>>>

166fsb is fast as hell but in the end it will lack the total bandwidth to the memory. of course using sdram clocked at 166mhz you have a low bandwidth low latency solution. remember the improvement of coppermines at 133 vs 100.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>How can Northwood continue to do something. when it is not even doing ot yet!

excuse me,but I said "will continue" meaning: when they,re finally available.

>Duuuhhhhh!
>1+1 = 5

sorry if I've confused you.

G

eug guys
first of all that sandra soft doen't give any usseful results second the fsb of the PIII is overclocked and is normally 133MHz if you do that with an AMD athlon 1,4GHz to it would be fair and then the total fsb of the athlon would be 312MHz thats 60MHz higher and then the athlon would leave the PIII far behind.

second itanium will hardly be produced
why because it is a pre processor and in one year it will be replaced but then you have to compare this chip with the claw or sledgehammer.
and what you guys suggest is to compare an 64bit processor with a 32bit processor this are the only things that you cannot compare.

third the changes on the PIII will not help to defeat an athlon on fpu :), the only thing why it is done is to try to leave an athlon of 100MHz slower behind but you can see due the test that an serious overklockt system (fsb overclockt is bath so memory is overclocked to) it hardly can beat an 100MHz slower processor and now you guys say it kicks but ???????????
excuse me but thats not really what it is isn't it
athlon will still kicking as against an PIII tualatin
but seriously an palonimo is faster then an tb. i don't see much feature for the tualatin if it hardly can defeat a processor with a 100MHz disadvantage with his improved core (256k). and that processor that he hardly can defeat will be replayed with an even faster processor for higher frequentie. do you really think that the new PIII will kick ass

Hold in mined that the palonimo has SSE like the PIII so the PIII will have no advantages on that piece like it does now in these test against the athlon tb.

computer

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>excuse me,but I said "will continue" meaning: when they,re finally available.

Well then you have a poor understanding of the English language, because the context in which the statement was written doesn't suggest what you mean.
Either that or you can't admit when you're falling over yourself.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Well then you have a poor understanding of the English language,

lol! I wrote it, you read it wrong, lmao @ you! poop on yourself now because the northwood WILL continue the a$$ raping of the Athlons.

G

Hmm.. it performs nicely.. wouldnt have expected anything different though. A P3 could keep pace quite well with an Atlhon up to 1 Ghz..

However, I think everyone is missing the point. I do not think intel will launch this cpu to be used in high volume desktop pc's.. I think it is much more suitable as a laptop cpu. Its gonna be competing against *mobile* athlons and durons (prob the 256 Kb version to the duron, the 512 to an athlon).. at least, that is my guess.

It would make the most sense. In the portable area, it is not a problem it requires a new chipset. 13mn should also help a great deal in power consumption, and since there is no mobile P4 on the horizon, a mobile Tualatin makes a lot of sense.. and some serious competition to the mobile athlons apparantly.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You girls say the stupidest things

"second itanium will hardly be produced
why because it is a pre processor and in one year it will be replaced but then you have to compare this chip with the claw or sledgehammer." we have 37,500 Itaniums pre ordered and counting.

Intel announced to OEM builders on the 7th in Las Vegas as well. It is the validated .13 micro version of the P3 with changes in full operation and capable of direct insert into current production i815EB.

The new P3 will run faster, cooler, and cheaper. Intel is also considering selling unlocked versions to OEM builders.

June has started out good, but july will be awesome.

Anyway, its always a good laugh to see that you guys outsmart Intel Engineers.

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
because the northwood WILL continue the a$$ raping of the Athlons
And yet the idiot still thinks he's right and doesn't understand.
Maybe shock therapy might work.

English lesson #1:
continue and raping are both present tense verbs, which implies that it is being done <b>PRESENTLY</b>

The correct version of sentence should be:
<i>northwood will rape the a$$ of the Athlons, but Athlon4 will rape the a$$ of northwood</i>

Note that northwood is spelt with a small n.

RCPilot

Champion
Very interesting. I can't figure just what Intel is up to with that CPU. It's not & don't know when or if it will be available? Shoot I don't know what to call Intel at all now. A hurting P4, a P3 that's actually a better choice (maybe) & all kinds of goodness that is coming, but isn't here yet & may be delayed.

On the other hand AMD has a Rocket out there with the T-bird @ 1.3 or 1.4, kicken some booty. Hammers of all types out there, .13 micron A4's. New bridge chips (Nforce & SIS) which are coming but aren't really here yet as well. So what is AMD up to as well.

I know that both Companys are deep in the trenches in this war & it may be down the road only one of them could be left when it's over.

Now for me I've converted to AMD after my last Intel Celeron fiasco. I see more promise out of AMD than I do out of intel right now. I also like the fact that AMD goes with what's there now, not what will be there in the future.

I build myself a new gaming machine every year, this year 1 gig T-bird. Next year I'm sure it will be a 2 gig AMD beit P4 or some Hammer flavor, with a new bridge, Nforce or SIS chips on a ASUS board. I'm excited as hell about it.

I'm standing here waiting for the next salvo to be fired from both of them because I'm convinced that there both playing games yet & haven't truely shown their hand to anyone yet. Sometimes the waiting is the best part, Huh????

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
". I also like the fact that AMD goes with what's there now, not what will be there in the future. "

Well dude someones gotta push the technology..it might as well be intel since they have been doing that all along. If both companies lived by what you said we would all be sporting 2 MHZ processors over-clocked to 4MHZ. Intel is on the cutting edge of technology and always will be...AMD seems to follow a little behind to avoid the risks.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
3 thing

1 dial-up suck big time.It even worse when you have a cable in past year.

2 I was surprise that P4 beat t-bird in sysmark under win 98se.

3 I am also surprise that tutu boy is near the high end.Fsb 400 and 266 vs a tiny 133 and 160.AMD good luck i hope for your that Pal will be more that 5% faster.I dont want the price to get in heaven again.

G

so what within one year intel is going to replace the itanium because this one is better. and who the [-peep-] buys a titanium right now some industries is [-peep-] intel !!!

P3 will run faster it WAS neck on neck with the athlon tb of same speed, but an palonimo 1GHz says goodbye to an old P3 on every benchmark and the more cache will help this processor to compete with the old amd but not against the palonimo BECAUSE this one has SSE ondersteuning like the P3 and because of that the P3 will not be better then an palonimo. maybe on some benchmarks but then its 1/10. because the P3 new will not be overall 30% better then the old version. in sopme cases an athlon4 is 50% faster then an P3 of same clock (i said some but not each but it is on all benchmarks faster)

computer