home wireless network question

Jim

Running winxp on several desktops and laptop. All is fine for now but
I'm wondering why the desktops can be autoconfigured for tcpip but the
laptop can not. I've tried but no avail. As soon as I assign it a
unique IP then it works fine with the network.

Is this normal for laptops ??

Nope. Should work exactly the same.

Tom
<jim> wrote in message news:9vp6j0tmd49hqchtlm2o3uqtdt3e3qq7pc@4ax.com...
> Running winxp on several desktops and laptop. All is fine for now but
> I'm wondering why the desktops can be autoconfigured for tcpip but the
> laptop can not. I've tried but no avail. As soon as I assign it a
> unique IP then it works fine with the network.
>
> Is this normal for laptops ??

Jim

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:54:12 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Nope. Should work exactly the same.
>
>Tom
><jim> wrote in message news:9vp6j0tmd49hqchtlm2o3uqtdt3e3qq7pc@4ax.com...
>> Running winxp on several desktops and laptop. All is fine for now but
>> I'm wondering why the desktops can be autoconfigured for tcpip but the
>> laptop can not. I've tried but no avail. As soon as I assign it a
>> unique IP then it works fine with the network.
>>
>> Is this normal for laptops ??

Thanks Tom. I didn't think so either but luckily it's not an urgent
problem (since it works as is) but when I get time, I'll probably play
with the laptop to try to tweak it. The only thing I could think of
was that the laptop had a different brand nic card from the desktops
but still I wasn't convinced that could justify it because they all
use the same 802.11b standard and same OS in all and that to me should
over rule any other differences, I think.

Thanks again Tom for the quick reply... Jim