Encoder Reboot, interesting...

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
On my dads PC, he is using a DVD encoder to MPEG. Well when he trys to encode a DVD movie that is on his hard drive, the PC just shuts off instantly, almost like someone just pressed the reset button. It does this on every movie, at random places, all of them after a few mins of encoding. I tried increasing the buffer the program has, no effect. Aside from this, the computer works great, no crashing or anything... The program is called DVDx ver 1.6. Does anyone have any idea what could make this pc reboot!?!?
PC specs
Win98 SE
PC 2100 DDR 256mb
Duron 1.2
Soltek SL75-DR5 mobo with KT 333 chipset
20 gig ata 100 5400 drive
16X dvd drive by sony

Thanks -drew

Run scandisk and then defrag the hardrive just before encoding, use Ctrl, Alt, Del and close all open programs except Explorer and Systray, and it wouldn't hurt to increase your RAM to 512Mb.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why is it whenever I see a 9x stability problem it's on a VIA chipset? Wusy says VIA bugs have been fixed since the KT266A was released! Could wusy be wrong? Wusy, come help us on this one, could you?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Yah well i got it fixed... I had my dad write them an email cause he didnt want to update his software. Well they told him to do the same and they focused on the motherboard power magangement...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, I've seen ACPI bugs come up numerous times on various systems.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
512 on a 98 system? yea right. in the days of windows 98 64 megs of ram was enough.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!