Ready or not? (for Gehennom, that is...) [spoily]

Last response: in Video Games
June 19, 2005 6:36:51 PM

Greetings everyone,
sorry to bother you with my trivial query, but I feel like I need some
reassurement before I head down to Hell.
I've played Nethack for one year now and this is only the second charachter
I manage to bring down to the Castle. The first one died pretty much as
soon as she landed in the dreaded valley.

*Warning!!!! Spoilers ahead*

But first things first: I have a neutral human Valkyrie, lvl 16, naked AC 1
(-19 when all dressed up), extremely lucky and piously aligned (at least I
think so). After three days of keen gaming I successfully cleared the
Mines, Sokoban (got reflection), the Quest, Medusa and the Castle. I even
caught a glimpse of the Valley when I accidentally stepped on a trap door
(silly me. I don't know how I found my way back up). I looted one of the
chests in the castle and got 3 wishes, which got me 2 blessed scrolls of
charging, a blessed magic marker and the blessed genocide of liches,
cockatrices and humanoids.
This is my current main inventory:
amulet of reflection
b rustproof Vorpal Blade
c rustproof Mjollnir
3 b corroded daggers (in quiver)

u thoroughly corroded +0 helmet
b gauntlets of power
b kicking boots
b +1 elven cloak
b +1 red dragon scale mail
b +3 dwarvish roundshield

I don't carry any food (besides a lizard corpse) because I wear a ring of
slow digestion
2 scrolls of teleportation (I have a ring of teleport control)
3 potions of healing
a bunch of wands of all kinds, including the wand of wishing
a unihorn, a pickaxe, a skeleton key, a mirror, a blindfold, a lamp, all
uncursed
a blessed BoH containing:
scrolls of enchant weapon, remove curse and charging,
2 potions of gain level, 3 potions of holy water, more potions of healing
and full healing,
rings of regeneration, levitation and teleport control,
backup wands and the tools not in use
Whoops, I forgot:
a silver bell
the blessed orb of fate (0:5)
I keep my fine collection of gems and the blessed touchstone in a sack, and
of course I've got a luckstone.

My intrinsics are: telepathy, cold, poison and fire resistance, invisible,
see invisible. I'm in dire need for sleep resistance but had no luck so
far.

My main issues here are:
1) How do I get rid of my "burdened" state? I blessed my BoH (twice!), my
Valkyrie is not so wimpy and I think I'm not carrying anything totally
useless. I'm puzzled...
2) Is my weaponry good enough to take on the critters down below?
Should I get back to my stashes and resume Trollsbane, Ogresmasher and
Cleaver? I feel really good with mojo and my faithful Vorpal Blade, but I
don't know what to expect really.
3) Is it safe to drink those 2 potions of gain level?
4) I'm well aware I need to make my armor a bit better, but I'd have to make
the scrolls myself... Is is worth it?
5) How much should I donate to the priests to get clairvoyance? (money isn't
an issue to me since I have all Ludios cleaned up and ready for looting)

I apologize in advance for my poor knowledge of the acronyms and symbols...
a student of medicine should have a better memory.
Hoping I haven't bored you too much, I'll be sitting around in the Castle
waiting for any kind, precious piece of advice.
Thank you all and happy hacking!

--
Lara aka Burymagnets

"It's judgement day and I'm not prepared" -
Opium of the People, SlipKnoT

my *real* email address is burymagnets_at_email_dot_it

More about : ready gehennom spoily

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:43:48 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Lara wrote:

> My main issues here are:
> 1) How do I get rid of my "burdened" state? I blessed my BoH (twice!), my
> Valkyrie is not so wimpy and I think I'm not carrying anything totally
> useless. I'm puzzled...

Put everything you don't use (ie all but armor, weapon, amulet, ring,
unihorn (plus magic whistle if you use pet)) in the BoH. And drop
everything you won't need in hell in a stash somewhere up (eg a chest at
DL1). Gems, not-combat wands (create monster, make inv, speed,...),
non-usefull rings,...) You don't need to carry everything.

> 2) Is my weaponry good enough to take on the critters down below?
> Should I get back to my stashes and resume Trollsbane, Ogresmasher and
> Cleaver? I feel really good with mojo and my faithful Vorpal Blade, but I
> don't know what to expect really.

Use Mojo (bless it first). And try twoweaponing with a silver saber
(minetown guard captazin should carry one, or maybe in Ludios). Demons and
Vampires *hate* silver. And enchant all that up to the top (+6/+7).

> 3) Is it safe to drink those 2 potions of gain level?

Yes, but you have better use for them. First of all, the lower your level,
the weaker the monsters generated. So keep your level as low as possible
unless you really need som skill slots (with a Valkyrie, you shouldn't).
If you can manage to curse your potions, they will make a fine escape way
once you'll carry the amulet (before that, the Orb provide levelport).
[eg to avoid crossing back painfull levels such as the Valley or Medusa
while going up with all the dungeon chasing after you (which is the best
thing that may happen to you soon, of course)]

Or you can give them (uncursed) to a pet able to drink them (if you're in
a mood to wish for a blessed figurine of an archon).

If you need to raise your HPs, alchemise potions of full healing.

> 4) I'm well aware I need to make my armor a bit better, but I'd have to make
> the scrolls myself... Is is worth it?

Yes. Fooproof your armor and enchant it to the top. Be sure your strength
is 25 with the GoP on, so you'll be able to throw Mojo (get shock
resistance before doing that). Oh, by the way, try to get the resistance
you're lacking. Being crowned is a good way for that.

> 5) How much should I donate to the priests to get clairvoyance? (money isn't
> an issue to me since I have all Ludios cleaned up and ready for looting)

200*XL. But that don't last long. Finding a magic lamp will be better for
permanent light source. Or wish for the eyes of the overworld. If you get
them, they'll be more than nice too.

Get speed boots. Wish for them if you don't manage to find one in the
Castle's armory or to polypile one.

Again, top-enchant all your armor and weapons.

Carry a second bag (not BoH) with one or two holy water and blessed scroll
of remove curse. If everything (including your BoH) get cursed in hell,
you'll appreciate.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:49:50 AM

Lara <burymagnets@infinito.it> wrote:

>I looted one of the
>chests in the castle and got 3 wishes, which got me 2 blessed scrolls of
>charging, a blessed magic marker and the blessed genocide of liches,
>cockatrices and humanoids.

Have you burned wishes on the genocides or did you write the scrolls with
the marker?

>u thoroughly corroded +0 helmet
>b gauntlets of power
>b kicking boots
>b +1 elven cloak
>b +1 red dragon scale mail
>b +3 dwarvish roundshield

No magic resistance, no speed boots.

>I don't carry any food (besides a lizard corpse) because I wear a ring of
>slow digestion

I would carry a few K-rations to be a the safe side.

>2 potions of gain level, 3 potions of holy water, more potions of healing
>and full healing,

Do you know how to create more powerful potions by mixing ordinary
drinks?

>1) How do I get rid of my "burdened" state? I blessed my BoH (twice!), my
>Valkyrie is not so wimpy and I think I'm not carrying anything totally
>useless. I'm puzzled...

You are probably carrying too many wands. If you magic map Gehennom, you
might also get by zapping wands of digging to create pathes, so you can
drop the pick-axe.

>2) Is my weaponry good enough to take on the critters down below?
>Should I get back to my stashes and resume Trollsbane, Ogresmasher and
>Cleaver? I feel really good with mojo and my faithful Vorpal Blade, but I
>don't know what to expect really.

I think staying with your artifacts is fine, but Mjollnir might destroy a
monster's equipment. Also, consider switching to two-weapong combat with
a silver saber.

>3) Is it safe to drink those 2 potions of gain level?

If they are not cursed, yes.

>4) I'm well aware I need to make my armor a bit better, but I'd have to make
>the scrolls myself... Is is worth it?

You need to wish for a magic marker; better yet, wish twice for a marker.
You should have a large number of blank or useless scrolls by now. Also,
you should rustproof/corrodeproof/fireproof your armour. If you still
have some wishes, use them on speed boots and a cloak of magic
resistance.

>5) How much should I donate to the priests to get clairvoyance? (money isn't
>an issue to me since I have all Ludios cleaned up and ready for looting)

200 times your experience level.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> Only flaw I see is no source of magic resistance. Without that, you're
> vulnerable to the touch of death. Since you've geno'd all types of
> liches, you may be reasonably safe until you wake Rodney; at that point,
> MR is virtually necessary.

Minor pedant point: golden nagas can destroy armor just as easily as
liches if you have no MR. This is *top priority*.

> Also, your helmet is virtually useless (except against falling rocks and
> mind flayers). At the very least, I'd enchant it up and if possible
> grease it. And speed boots are certainly worth a wish (although if my
> count is right, you're down to 1:1, aren't you? May want to save it).

If the wand is 1:1, it's unfortunate, and I would say wish for gray
dragon scale mail. If it's better than that, I'd say get gray dragon
scale mail and speed boots. Elven leather helm could be substituted for
the current dismal helm (yes, I know it doesn't protect from falling
rock, but it can be enchanted to +6/+7). Of course, spellcasting
doesn't look like an issue here, so fixing and enchanting the current
helm is practical.

-Ken
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:34:12 PM

Philipp Lucas wrote:

> Have you burned wishes on the genocides or did you write the scrolls with
> the marker?

Well I was lucky enough to get 3 blessed scrolls of genocide with one wish.
So it's just one wish wasted I reckon... :-(((

> Do you know how to create more powerful potions by mixing ordinary
> drinks?

I'll just google around and look for all the literature I can find about
alchemy then!

Gee, thanks a bunch for the help!

I might even think of posting my YASD... Probably in a couple of days
according to how much keyboard time I get...

--
Lara aka Burymagnets
"I wanna outrace the speed of pain for another day"

Silly me again, just wanted to thank everybody for the advice.
I thought I'd go upstairs and get the boots and the shield from my friend
Pegasus, but the place's crowded with gremlins and I think I won't deal
with them until the sun shines high on my Valk...

Going back to playing Pokémon in the meantime, thanks again!

--
Lara aka Burymagnets
"When you're lonely and you start to hear

On 6/20/05 2:17 PM, Ken Cuvelier wrote:
> Kevin Wayne wrote:
>
>>Only flaw I see is no source of magic resistance. Without that, you're
>>vulnerable to the touch of death. Since you've geno'd all types of
>>liches, you may be reasonably safe until you wake Rodney; at that point,
>>MR is virtually necessary.
>
> Minor pedant point: golden nagas can destroy armor just as easily as
> liches if you have no MR. This is *top priority*.

Forgot about that. Thanks.

> If the wand is 1:1, it's unfortunate, and I would say wish for gray
> dragon scale mail. If it's better than that, I'd say get gray dragon
> scale mail and speed boots.

You're probably right from a purely tactical point of view. I have a
strange view (I gather) of wishes, though. Although I've only ascended
wishless once, I tend to try to minimize wishes, and use them for stuff
I have little reasonable expectation of getting on my own. So if I
haven't gotten any kind of DSM yet, I'll probably wish for GDSM; but if
I already have DSM, I might be inclined to use the wish on a cloak of
magic resistance. There's always a chance of getting scales from a grey
dragon later on.

I once ascended a character (knight, I think) with Orange DSM and no
reflection, just because that's what I'd found. I think that going with
something other than the typical AK rates some style points. Of course,
the OP is working on a first ascension, so such considerations are less
important.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 9:20:27 AM

On 6/20/05 3:34 PM, Lara wrote:
> Philipp Lucas wrote:
>
>>Have you burned wishes on the genocides or did you write the scrolls with
>>the marker?
>
> Well I was lucky enough to get 3 blessed scrolls of genocide with one wish.
> So it's just one wish wasted I reckon... :-(((

Not wasted at all, unless you had already ID'd scrolls of genocide.

You may want to start at http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/.

> I might even think of posting my YASD... Probably in a couple of days
> according to how much keyboard time I get...

I think you misspelled YAFAP. ;-)

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:08:50 PM

Ken Cuvelier wrote:
<snip>
> If the wand is 1:1, it's unfortunate, and I would say wish for gray
> dragon scale mail. If it's better than that, I'd say get gray dragon
> scale mail and speed boots.

Wouldn't Magic Marker -> Reverse Geno Grey Dragon or something along
that line (Maybe Poly control + Poly -> Grey dragon eggs) be more
efficient, given that magic marker seems to be important at this point
anyways?

<snip>

-K
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:16:17 PM

Lara wrote:

> This is my current main inventory:
> amulet of reflection
> b rustproof Vorpal Blade
> c rustproof Mjollnir
> 3 b corroded daggers (in quiver)

Feel free to put Vorpal Blade in a chest. Gather elven
daggers. They can be fireproofed the same way as other
weapons can be rustproofed.

> u thoroughly corroded +0 helmet

Most armor can be rustproofed a similar way to weapons.
Nothing better than a regular helmet that far into
the dungeon?

> b gauntlets of power
> b kicking boots

Speed boots are critical. Levitation or WW boots
should be in your spares for some levels.

> b +1 elven cloak
> b +1 red dragon scale mail

Magic resistance is critical. Red only gives you fire
resistance which you got from eating long ago.

> b +3 dwarvish roundshield

Two weapon beats any shield once you have reflection
from the Sokoban amulet.

> a bunch of wands of all kinds, including the wand of wishing
> a unihorn, a pickaxe, a skeleton key, a mirror, a blindfold, a lamp, all
> uncursed

Most should be in the BoH. Unihorn and blindfold are
used regularly. The rest should be stored or stashed.

> a blessed BoH containing:
> scrolls of enchant weapon, remove curse and charging,
> 2 potions of gain level, 3 potions of holy water, more potions of healing
> and full healing,
> rings of regeneration, levitation and teleport control,
> backup wands and the tools not in use
> Whoops, I forgot:
> a silver bell

Fun but low priority.

> the blessed orb of fate (0:5)
> I keep my fine collection of gems and the blessed touchstone in a sack, and
> of course I've got a luckstone.

Gems? Stash.

> My intrinsics are: telepathy, cold, poison and fire resistance, invisible,
> see invisible. I'm in dire need for sleep resistance but had no luck so
> far.

Elves are good food.

> My main issues here are:
> 1) How do I get rid of my "burdened" state? I blessed my BoH (twice!), my
> Valkyrie is not so wimpy and I think I'm not carrying anything totally
> useless. I'm puzzled...

Far too much in your main inventory not in the bag.

In general if you are Burdened, you ARE carrying
items not usefull enough.

> 2) Is my weaponry good enough to take on the critters down below?

Two weapon. You do not list the enchantment level of
your weapons. They should be +4 at least.

> 4) I'm well aware I need to make my armor a bit better, but I'd have to make
> the scrolls myself... Is is worth it?

For your current armor, it is only worth it for
your gloves.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:21:36 PM

Kremti wrote:
> Ken Cuvelier wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>If the wand is 1:1, it's unfortunate, and I would say wish for gray
>>dragon scale mail. If it's better than that, I'd say get gray dragon
>>scale mail and speed boots.
>

> Wouldn't Magic Marker -> Reverse Geno Grey Dragon or something along
> that line (Maybe Poly control + Poly -> Grey dragon eggs) be more
> efficient, given that magic marker seems to be important at this point
> anyways?

Excellent point. I'd probably recommend, when following that approach,
to wish for the speed boots first, because dealing with 4 or more gray
dragons on a reverse geno without them could be the YASD we're trying to
prevent ;-). Not knowing whether the OP's char is female, the polyself
route may be impossible, and it takes a little extra time given that the
hatchlings need to become mature before they'll drop scales.

-Ken
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:40:54 AM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Kremti wrote:

> Ken Cuvelier wrote:
> <snip>
> > If the wand is 1:1, it's unfortunate, and I would say wish for gray
> > dragon scale mail. If it's better than that, I'd say get gray dragon
> > scale mail and speed boots.
>
> Wouldn't Magic Marker -> Reverse Geno Grey Dragon or something along
> that line (Maybe Poly control + Poly -> Grey dragon eggs) be more
> efficient, given that magic marker seems to be important at this point
> anyways?

Well, a wish for MR, if wishing for artefact is not prohibited by your
conduct (certainly not for a first ascention), I would go for certains
artefact providing MR and a few other benefits. For a neutral warrior
class, the Eyes are certainly a nice thing to have in Gehnnom (for neutral
spellcaster, the Eye would be better). Of course, with a huge pile of
artefact obtained by saccing, this may not be an option.

GD egge leads to baby GD which took hell of a time to grow up, especially
if they have few low-level monsters to attack (the best playground for a
platoon of baby dragon is the Mines, I think) and then hell of a time to
die (Dragon are not that easilly killed by wandering monsters they'll
attack, and you don't want to kill your own pet). And you're not even
certain to have you DSM after all that...

Reverse geno may be nice, especially if you have a scroll of make friends
at hand and turn the survivors of your quest for scale into bodyguards.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:44:19 AM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Ken Cuvelier wrote:

> Kremti wrote:
> > Ken Cuvelier wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >>If the wand is 1:1, it's unfortunate, and I would say wish for gray
> >>dragon scale mail. If it's better than that, I'd say get gray dragon
> >>scale mail and speed boots.
> >

> > Wouldn't Magic Marker -> Reverse Geno Grey Dragon or something along
> > that line (Maybe Poly control + Poly -> Grey dragon eggs) be more
> > efficient, given that magic marker seems to be important at this point
> > anyways?
>
> Excellent point. I'd probably recommend, when following that approach,
> to wish for the speed boots first, because dealing with 4 or more gray
> dragons on a reverse geno without them could be the YASD we're trying to
> prevent ;-). Not knowing whether the OP's char is female, the polyself
> route may be impossible, and it takes a little extra time given that the
> hatchlings need to become mature before they'll drop scales.

To deal with many reverse genocided adult dragons at once, I recommend a
wand of fire to burn the ground before summoning the dragons. And of
course reflection to avoid their breath.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
!