Inventory order

Is tehre an option that allow to order inventory (or rather the contents
of chest) by type of object (ie all the wands of foo will have consecutive
letters, all potions of bar (grouped by buc-status) also,...) ?

I'm currently organizing a base camp with the contents of 4 blessed bag of
holding weigthing each around 800, transfering all this into chests and
then I'll go for diluting, blanking, alchemy, and all the usual base camp
stuff. But I would really like to have item ordered by type rather than
randomly. Among other thing, that would be much usefull to ensure that I'm
only taking 1 "wand called iron - no message - 150$" before starting to
identify stuff...

(and that will also be useful later, before going on a mission, to avoid
picking up several duplicate wands or rings if I think that only one of
each type is needed)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:
> Is tehre an option that allow to order inventory (or rather the contents
> of chest) by type of object (ie all the wands of foo will have consecutive
> letters, all potions of bar (grouped by buc-status) also,...) ?

I don't think there's an option, but there is a great patch that does
just what you're asking. Of course, if you haven't messed with patching
yet, it may not be worth it now just for the inventory ordering.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Andy Johnson wrote:

> Jym wrote:
> > Is tehre an option that allow to order inventory (or rather the contents
> > of chest) by type of object (ie all the wands of foo will have consecutive
> > letters, all potions of bar (grouped by buc-status) also,...) ?
> >
> I don't think there's an option, but there is a great patch that does
> just what you're asking. Of course, if you haven't messed with patching
> yet, it may not be worth it now just for the inventory ordering.

Yep... Plus, I won't risk patching in a middle of a nice game...
Plus I'm running slash'em and the patch may differ (but that should no be
to hard to figure out what to change, I guess).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

> Yep... Plus, I won't risk patching in a middle of a nice game...
> Plus I'm running slash'em and the patch may differ (but that should no be
> to hard to figure out what to change, I guess).

You're looking for this patch:
http://bilious.homelinux.org/index.php?act=show&id=135

It's bones/saves compatible.

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
____ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _____ __ __
/ ___|| | / \ / ___|| | | ( ) ____| \/ |

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Benjamin Schieder wrote:

> > Yep... Plus, I won't risk patching in a middle of a nice game...
> > Plus I'm running slash'em and the patch may differ (but that should no be
> > to hard to figure out what to change, I guess).
>
> You're looking for this patch:
> http://bilious.homelinux.org/index.php?act=show&id=135

Great :)

So, at least now I know why I'm trying to have that self-compiled version
work rather than stay with my good old binary distribution...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Jym wrote:
>
>> Is tehre an option that allow to order inventory (or rather the
>> contents of chest) by type of object (ie all the wands of foo will
>> have consecutive letters, all potions of bar (grouped by buc-status)
>> also,...) ?
>
> You can try the option out on nethack.alt.org, if I'm not mistaken.

Yup, it's the "sortloot" option; you can set it to "full", "loot", or
"none". "Loot" will sort the listings when you loot/apply containers or
pick things up, and "full" also sorts inventory and drop listings.

I'd rank this patch a very small notch below "indispensable"; I like it set
to "loot".

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber