Problem on PC, can't figure out what it is.

smeef

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
So last night my buddy finally convinced me to download utorrent in order to play WC3 with him. As soon as I started the program (utorrent) up my pc went to hell. At first the pc froze but I could still talk to him on Skype, now things have developed and seem to have gotten worse (most likely due to my amateur fixings).

If I try to boot up the PC in safe mode there will be a 10-20 second delay (after logging on) then my computer will power down. After doing a system restore as far back as I could and limiting the programs that start when I log in. I have gotten to the point where I can go into a normal startup without reset.

-Issues-
Can't connect to the internet(after limiting the programs that start up, to Microsoft only)
Shuts down (only in safe mode)
Freezes if i open up programs outside of my computer
Caused my torrent, haven't uninstalled but i think system restore fixed this

-What i've done-
limited my startup programs
System restore
Ran a malwarebytes scan (no malware detected)
Attempted to install CCleaner but like other programs (other then malwarebytes) my computer froze after.

smeef

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I appreciate the quick replies, does anyone have suggestions on how to stabilize the computer long enough for updates/norton, it will simply freeze and I haven't had any luck with flash drive installations.

Hi :)

You can BOOT from the Norton disc so you don't have to even get into Windows...

All the best Brett :)

Hi :)

Thats a sledgehammer to crack a nut...

He needs the viruses removing...NOT the whole operating system and all his data :(

All the best Brett :)

The best resolution will be booting from a rescue DVD/USB stick, and running a virus scan....torrents are notorious for them...Norton is a good solution - and available at almost any computer/office supply store. AVG is a free download (you must burn a DVD for it).

Try to stay away from those torrents....

ikaz

Distinguished
Have you tried to boot into Safemode with networking ? Oh and wc3 is pretty cheap I believe you can buy the "battle chest edtion" for cheap and if you haven't played it but do enjoy or want to try a RTS game I would recommend you pick it up.

My suggestion is you Logon in Safe Mode with Networking and do Online virus scans, and install the security applications you need... You may also have to disable System Restore to get rid of the virus copies they can crate on the System Restore folder so they can restore themselves and it's a nevern ending problem. Something important you need to do is get rid of the Startup programs you may suspect of as at least one of those may be the cause of the infection.

smeef

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Some people seem to not understand that I don't have access to the internet (on that computer) and the computer shuts down during Safe Mode. I appreciate the help and I'm about to try the AVG rescue and if that doesn't work i'll install norton.

smeef

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Update: Ive discovered that my processor (intel) becomes extremely hot when I boot my computer, could this be the source of the problem or a result of it? Any suggestions?

Definitely could be the cause of the problem -- Open the case and check that the fan is spinning properly (could be something lodged in there keeping the fan from spinning or the fan gave out) and that the heatsink is attached properly - the system will shut down if the CPU gets too hot to prevent permanent damage.

So first get that fixed and then run the AV scans just to be sure but chances are it is the problem not a virus (esp since you had the problem in safe mode which only loads MS drivers and minimal ones at that !)

I'm thinking along the same lines as JDFan. Something to be noted, was this a custom build (one you built yourself) or a box unit (a prebuilt machine bought from one of the chain stores)? Either way, you might need to check if there is thermal paste in between the processor and heatsink (Sorry don't know how computer savy you are :) ). I would recommend using Artic Silver as a replacement paste. It's what I use in all my builds and it hasn't failed me yet.

OK, my mistake... guess I was influenced by the previous. The Winsock may be corrupted by one of the startup applications. Try to recover access to the Internet repairing the Winsock with a Winsock Repair utility, preferably one that's portable... portable apps may stand a better chance to evade the system problem.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1833

If the processor overheats in Safe Mode only it's probably not a hardware issue but software... Do you by any chance have fan speed controlling software installed?. Maybe an aftermarket processor cooler that uses drivers?.

smeef

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I built my computer with an experienced friend, there is thermal paste applied. In the process of double checking this I managed to jack up some of my pins and that just took things from bad to worse, I realize that ive pretty much screwed this up myself and plan on replacing my motherboard, followed by repairing my virus'. Looks like im going to have an exciting week :pt1cable:

smeef

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
My heatsink was poorly attached but that's fixed now, but CCleaner and a norton scan later (safe mode works perfectly) my screen is black with a cursor and I do not have the option to open up task manager while in normal. Help please :(

Apparently Norton helped but not enough, you need to do further virus scans, preferably online scans from Safe Mode with Networking. Online virus scanners are better updated than CD versions. Also disable startup programs, delete temp files. Does ctrl+alt+delete bring up anything?. Is it the same loging on with another user account? You may be able to create a new user account in safe mode or use the Administrator account in normal mode.
In Safe Mode download SE - Explorer (portable) and create a shortcut to this application, and copy it to the C:\Users\Public\Start Menu\Programs\Startup so you may have a Explorer type view in normal mode, and execute security applications.. see if Hijackthis can disable whatever infection process it can find.

http://www.syncnext.com/software/freewares/free-portable-file-explorer-alternative-to-w-explorer/269.html

http://www.pendriveapps.com/hijackthis-portable-anti-spyware-malware/