Quick Questions on the Inspiron 8600

I'm shopping for my first laptop and I've got a few questions. If any of
you can answer any of these I would appreciate it. I'm not looking for a
gaming machine, but a desktop replacement machine that might do a little
video editing and various multimedia tasks. Ok, I see that Dell Small
Business has a low end 8600 for $949 and I've been looking at HP/Compaq
zv5000z/r3000z configured right around that price. The HP/Compaq looks
stellar on paper (I'm opting for the 64 bit processor and lots of bells and
whistles) in comparison to the low end 8600, but I'm not really impressed
with the feel of the HP/Compaqs that I've looked at in stores. I take it
that the 8600 is a higher level of laptop - build wise, as far as durability
and such. Is this true? I know this is a Dell forum, but be as unbiased as
possible please.

If I get the Dell with entry level wireless (.b) is there going to be a mini
PCI slot to upgrade in the future? Does the Dell DVD-ROM read DVD+RW? Are
there aftermarket 7,200 rpm drives that fit the Dell? What all can go into
the modular bay (extra battery, floppy, I know)? I hear that the XGA screen
on the Dell isn't all that great?

Am I going to be sorry that I didn't go with 64bit? I'm a bit disappointed
that I hear the video card for the HP/Compaq's doesn't support Direct X9 and
that will be a requirement for full Longhorn Aero Glass (but that's not
really a deal breaker if true).

--
A sickened mind and spirit
The mirror tells me lies

THX 1138
3 answers Last reply
More about quick questions inspiron 8600

    Compaq Presario R3000Z series customize notebook
    - Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    - AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3000+ 1.80 GHz
    - 15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280x800)
    - 64MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 4 440 Go +1394 & 5-in-1
    - 256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
    - FREE Upgrade from 40GB to 60GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    - DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
    - FREE Upgrade to 54g(TM) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN !!
    - Microsoft(R) Works/Money
    - 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    - hpshopping in-box envelope

    + $1 Backpack

    HP Pavilion zv5000z series customize notebook
    - Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    - AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3000+ 1.80 GHz
    - 15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280x800)
    - 64MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 4 440 Go +1394 & 5-in-1
    - 256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
    - 30 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    - FREE Upgrade from 8X DVD to DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    - 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
    - Microsoft(R) Works/Money
    - 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    - hpshopping in-box envelope

    Inspiron 8600

    Intel® Pentium® M Processor 715(1.50A GHz/400MHz FSB) 15.4 WXGA

    Operating System

    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

    Memory

    256MB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm

    Video Card

    32MB DDR NVIDIA®GeForceT FX Go5200 AGP 4X Graphics

    Hard Drive

    30GB Hard Drive

    Power Adapter

    AC adapter - 65w, 19.5v

    Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices

    No Floppy

    Network Card

    Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

    CD ROM/DVD ROM

    8X Max DVD ROM

    Wireless Networking Cards

    Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Internal Wireless (802.11b, 11Mbps)

    Bundled Software

    Productivity Pack including WordPerfect®

    Security Software

    McAfee Security Center w/ VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

    Digital Music

    Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software

    Primary Battery

    72 WHr Primary Battery

    Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options

    1 Year Basic Mail-In Plan (No Rebate offered with this Plan)

    Installation Services

    No Installation

    Dial-Up Internet Access

    6 Months of America Online Membership Included

    Digital Imaging or Digital Photography

    Paint ShopT Pro® Trial plus Photo AlbumT Starter Edition

    Mail- In Rebate

    None

    Dell Media Experience

    Dell Media ExperienceT

    Purchase Intent

    Purchase is not intended for resale.

    Free printer or Palm Zire

    --

    "fastfwd" <fastfwd01@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<10j70tfijt5ld37@corp.supernews.com>...
    > I'm shopping for my first laptop and I've got a few questions. If any of
    > you can answer any of these I would appreciate it. I'm not looking for a
    > gaming machine, but a desktop replacement machine that might do a little
    > video editing and various multimedia tasks. Ok, I see that Dell Small
    > Business has a low end 8600 for $949 and I've been looking at HP/Compaq
    > zv5000z/r3000z configured right around that price. The HP/Compaq looks
    > stellar on paper (I'm opting for the 64 bit processor and lots of bells and
    > whistles) in comparison to the low end 8600, but I'm not really impressed
    > with the feel of the HP/Compaqs that I've looked at in stores. I take it
    > that the 8600 is a higher level of laptop - build wise, as far as durability
    > and such. Is this true? I know this is a Dell forum, but be as unbiased as
    > possible please.
    >
    > If I get the Dell with entry level wireless (.b) is there going to be a mini
    > PCI slot to upgrade in the future? Does the Dell DVD-ROM read DVD+RW? Are
    > there aftermarket 7,200 rpm drives that fit the Dell? What all can go into
    > the modular bay (extra battery, floppy, I know)? I hear that the XGA screen
    > on the Dell isn't all that great?
    >
    > Am I going to be sorry that I didn't go with 64bit? I'm a bit disappointed
    > that I hear the video card for the HP/Compaq's doesn't support Direct X9 and
    > that will be a requirement for full Longhorn Aero Glass (but that's not
    > really a deal breaker if true).

    It may be a small thing to some...but remember that Dell is
    one of the few maintream manufactures that actually includes
    a Windows OEM cd with their computers. May not be important
    to you but I know I like to install Windows myself and you need
    a Windows install cd to do this. I see your predicament in
    that I would prefer the AMD 64 on a laptop..especially if reasonably
    priced but I WOULD check with the manufacturer on how to recover or
    reinstall Windows if needed (easy on a Dell since you receive a Windows
    OEM cd and a drivers cd). If I wanted to purchase a Windows laptop
    I would definetly check some of the smaller manufactures as another
    option also (which should include a Windows OEM cd). Just my opinion.
    Enjoy your new computer!!!
    Dave

    Dave:

    Who are the "smaller manufacturers" you would recommend? I am going
    into the law business by myself, and need a decent, reliable laptop
    with a docking station. I was considering the 8600, but I am
    certainly open to a non-dell machine.

    Ken

    >It may be a small thing to some...but remember that Dell is
    >one of the few maintream manufactures that actually includes
    >a Windows OEM cd with their computers. May not be important
    >to you but I know I like to install Windows myself and you need
    >a Windows install cd to do this. I see your predicament in
    >that I would prefer the AMD 64 on a laptop..especially if reasonably
    >priced but I WOULD check with the manufacturer on how to recover or
    >reinstall Windows if needed (easy on a Dell since you receive a Windows
    >OEM cd and a drivers cd). If I wanted to purchase a Windows laptop
    >I would definetly check some of the smaller manufactures as another
    >option also (which should include a Windows OEM cd). Just my opinion.
    >Enjoy your new computer!!!
    >Dave

Dell Hewlett Packard Computers Product