Bug or feature? (twoweapon issue)

My Knight never used his lance until late in the game, when he started
twoweaponing with it and Grayswandir. However, even after clearing 15
levels of Gehennom, I was never able to raise its skill beyond Basic. I
gained several levels during that time and didn't use them on anything
else, so I'm quite sure it's not a skill slot shortage. And I absolutely
had the 80 hits that should have qualified me for Skilled. Are the hits
being registered as "twoweapon hits" rather than "lance hits," where the
two are mutually exclusive? If so, does this happen for every weapon or
is something peculiar to lances? And, of course, is this intentional or
not?

--Todd

Todd Pytel wrote:
> My Knight never used his lance until late in the game, when he started
> twoweaponing with it and Grayswandir. However, even after clearing 15
> levels of Gehennom, I was never able to raise its skill beyond Basic. I
> gained several levels during that time and didn't use them on anything
> else, so I'm quite sure it's not a skill slot shortage. And I absolutely
> had the 80 hits that should have qualified me for Skilled. Are the hits
> being registered as "twoweapon hits" rather than "lance hits," where the
> two are mutually exclusive? If so, does this happen for every weapon or
> is something peculiar to lances? And, of course, is this intentional or
> not?
>
> --Todd

As I understand it, when you wield two weapons at once, each successful
hit counts only twowards your twoweapon skill for advancement purposes.
If you are skilled in twoweaponing and only basic in your primary
wielded weapon, your chance of hitting is penalized more than if your
primary weapon's skill were skilled or higher.

Since you were using the lance as your secondary wield, you would only
have been missing out on damage bonuses due to the basic skill, and I
believe your chance of jousting would have been penalized too. This is
all intentional.

When I'm considering using twoweaponing, I always work on the weapons
I'm going to use as solo wields before committing to the twoweaponing so
that I can maximise the bonuses, because of course twoweaponing carries
a sizable penalty to chances of hitting.

-Ken

Todd Pytel wrote:
> My Knight never used his lance until late in the game, when he started
> twoweaponing with it and Grayswandir. However, even after clearing 15
> levels of Gehennom, I was never able to raise its skill beyond Basic. I
> gained several levels during that time and didn't use them on anything
> else, so I'm quite sure it's not a skill slot shortage. And I absolutely
> had the 80 hits that should have qualified me for Skilled. Are the hits
> being registered as "twoweapon hits" rather than "lance hits," where the
> two are mutually exclusive? If so, does this happen for every weapon or
> is something peculiar to lances? And, of course, is this intentional or
> not?
>
> --Todd

I think (but am not certain) that when two-weaponing, all hits go to
your two-weapon tally, and not to your actual weapon skill. I see this
as a bug, and hope it is fixed in the next version, but others may
disagree

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:41:04 -0700
Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, when you wield two weapons at once, each
> successful hit counts only twowards your twoweapon skill for
> advancement purposes.

OK, that's what I was suspecting.

> Since you were using the lance as your secondary wield, you would only
> have been missing out on damage bonuses due to the basic skill, and I
> believe your chance of jousting would have been penalized too.

Correct.

> This is all intentional.

Hum. OK, I guess. I admit it doesn't make much sense to me either
"realistically" or balance-wise, but it's really not a big deal.
Particularly because my lance just broke. :) I'll just keep it in mind
for future reference.

> When I'm considering using twoweaponing, I always work on the weapons
> I'm going to use as solo wields before committing to the twoweaponing
> so that I can maximise the bonuses, because of course twoweaponing
> carries a sizable penalty to chances of hitting.

Yes, that would be the prudent course of action.

@Chuck - It's version 3.4.1. As mentioned above, it doesn't offend my
gaming sensibilities or anything. It just seems a little odd.

Thanks guys...

--Todd

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Todd Pytel <tppytel@nospam.org> wrote in

> My Knight never used his lance until late in the game, when he started
> twoweaponing with it and Grayswandir. However, even after clearing 15
> levels of Gehennom, I was never able to raise its skill beyond Basic. I
> gained several levels during that time and didn't use them on anything
> else, so I'm quite sure it's not a skill slot shortage. And I absolutely
> had the 80 hits that should have qualified me for Skilled. Are the hits
> being registered as "twoweapon hits" rather than "lance hits," where the
> two are mutually exclusive? If so, does this happen for every weapon or
> is something peculiar to lances? And, of course, is this intentional or
> not?
>
> --Todd

Are you using version 3.40 or later? Because at least in 3.4.2 the
availability of two-weaponing (is that a word?) is greatly reduced. If it
matters to you a LOT I would advise regressing to 3.3.1-3.3.9

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Todd Pytel <tppytel@nospam.org>:
> [twoweapon skill checks]
> >Hum. OK, I guess. I admit it doesn't make much sense to me either
> >"realistically" or balance-wise, but it's really not a big deal.
>
> You've been twoweaponing LANCES and you're invoking the argument from
> realism?

Well, at least he is only two weaponing GS on the main hand, and a
lance on the off hand. I'm using *two* lances *laugh* I just had to
do it.

-K

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> writes:
> I think (but am not certain) that when two-weaponing, all hits go to
> your two-weapon tally, and not to your actual weapon skill. I see this
> as a bug, and hope it is fixed in the next version, but others may
> disagree

Yes, they do. Two-weaponing is overpowered enough as it is; requiring
you to gain proficiency in the weapons _before_ you start swinging
them about in combination with each other doesn't seem unreasonable to
me.

: "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree / That it carries too far, :
: when I say / That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea / And :
: dines on the following day." -- Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark :

--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Oneiros, Presuary.

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> writes:

> I think (but am not certain) that when two-weaponing, all hits go to
> your two-weapon tally, and not to your actual weapon skill.

Correct.

> I see this
> as a bug, and hope it is fixed in the next version, but others may
> disagree

Instead, I'd rather see some more disadvantages for #twoweapon.
#twoweaponing is a main imbalance in the game, IMHO; a puny Lvl 11
rogue with GoP, #twoweaponing GS and a silver saber needs to hit
a dragon twice to get it down.

Best,
Jakob

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Gary Olson wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

[snip a series of yes/no questions and answers]

> Should we call you the "Monosyllable Mage" or "The Binary Poster"?

Binary Boudewijn.

Todd Pytel wrote:

> Are the hits being registered as "twoweapon hits" rather
> than "lance hits,"

Yes.

> where the two are mutually exclusive?

Yes.

> If so, does this happen for every weapon

Yes.

> or is something peculiar to lances?

No.

Gary Olson wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> Todd Pytel wrote:

>>> Are the hits being registered as "twoweapon hits" rather
>>> than "lance hits,"
>> Yes.

>>> where the two are mutually exclusive?
>> Yes.

>>> If so, does this happen for every weapon
>> Yes.

>>> or is something peculiar to lances?
>> No.

>>> And, of course, is this intentional or not?
>> Yes.

> Should we call you the "Monosyllable Mage" or "The Binary Poster"?
0.5

--
Boudewijn.

There are 10 types of people in the world:

In news:<h7b*nFFRq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, David Damerell
<damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> says...
> Quoting Todd Pytel <tppytel@nospam.org>:
> [twoweapon skill checks]
> >Hum. OK, I guess. I admit it doesn't make much sense to me either
> >"realistically" or balance-wise, but it's really not a big deal.
> You've been twoweaponing LANCES and you're invoking the argument from
> realism?

The exact same thought struck me. :)

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Zhygv-cynlre ArgUnpx vf n zlgu.

In news:<1119319495.565239.124770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, Marky
Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> says...
> I think (but am not certain) that when two-weaponing, all hits go to
> your two-weapon tally, and not to your actual weapon skill. I see this
> as a bug, and hope it is fixed in the next version, but others may
> disagree

'Others' include me. I find it rather logical that to learn a specific
weapon skill I'd have to concentrate on the singleweaponed use first,
and that doing #twoweaponing only advances my #twoweaponing skill.

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Zbfg zbafgref pna'g fjvz.

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> "Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> writes:
>
> > I think (but am not certain) that when two-weaponing, all hits go to
> > your two-weapon tally, and not to your actual weapon skill.
>
> Correct.
>
> > I see this
> > as a bug, and hope it is fixed in the next version, but others may
> > disagree
>
> Instead, I'd rather see some more disadvantages for #twoweapon.
> #twoweaponing is a main imbalance in the game, IMHO; a puny Lvl 11
> rogue with GoP, #twoweaponing GS and a silver saber needs to hit
> a dragon twice to get it down.

You mean not being able to wield a +5 shield of reflection or +7 elven
shield isnt penalty enough? (as well as the to hit and damage penalties)

> Boudewijn.
>
> There are 10 types of people in the world:
> those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Lol! (though it took me a couple of seconds to get it)

Marky Mark wrote:
<snip>
> You mean not being able to wield a +5 shield of reflection or +7 elven
> shield isnt penalty enough? (as well as the to hit and damage penalties)

I agree with the sentiment with David (and many others) that it's
nowhere near enough to offset the huge damage increase.

I think what could be done is to introduce more interesting shields and
shield effects.

-K

Quoting Marky Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au>:
>Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>>Instead, I'd rather see some more disadvantages for #twoweapon.
>>#twoweaponing is a main imbalance in the game, IMHO; a puny Lvl 11
>>rogue with GoP, #twoweaponing GS and a silver saber needs to hit
>>a dragon twice to get it down.
>You mean not being able to wield a +5 shield of reflection or +7 elven
>shield isnt penalty enough?

Yes. The minor increase in damage taken from the loss of AC is much less
than the decrease in damage taken by being able to flatten everything so
quickly, and shields carry a spellcasting disadvantage too.

>(as well as the to hit and damage penalties)

The to-hit penalties are completely meaningless in the middle and late
game, and the damage penalties are obviously trivial next to the increase
in damage output.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Aponoia, Presuary.

On 23 Jun 2005 13:56:17 +0100 (BST)
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> The to-hit penalties are completely meaningless in the middle and late
> game

This seems to me to be a big part of the problem, not just for the
two-weapon stuff but for other things as well. Has anyone considered
redesigning the to-hit system? The overwhelming bonus generated
by Luck and XL erases all otherwise interesting bonuses and/or penalties
from two-weaponing, weapon type, weapon skill, and Dexterity. It seems
like there could be a lot more interesting strategic choices involved if
perfect to-hit percentage weren't a given halfway through the game.

Not that I have any great suggestions as to how to do this, of course.

:)

--Todd

Quoting Todd Pytel <tppytel@nospam.org>:
>David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>The to-hit penalties are completely meaningless in the middle and late
>>game
>This seems to me to be a big part of the problem, not just for the
>two-weapon stuff but for other things as well. Has anyone considered
>redesigning the to-hit system?

Yes.

Briefly, I proposed the following;

Cut back certain bonuses, in particular the luck and weapon enchantment
ones.

Another part of the problem is that monster ACs do not increase with
player power. In general give monsters an AC bonus equal to their hit
dice, fudging some early and middle game monster ACs so they don't become
tougher in the parts of the game where hitting is actually hard.

Give monsters with negative AC player-style damage reduction, _but_ with
the player's surplus to-hit negating damage reduction.

That way, you'll tend to miss sometimes much later into the game, and even
when you no longer miss, more to-hit is always valuable.

This couples in with the twoweapon proposal; roll to-hit for both weapons,
attack only with the one that scores best; attack with both if the primary
weapon rolls a 20 [1] at Basic #2w skill, 18+ at Skilled, 17+ at Expert.
This makes twoweaponing useful for hitting more, not for doing cruel
brutal damage. Exercise the weapon skills as well as twoweaponing -
because the skill is now most valuable early on. Once you have a godlike
artifact, you don't want to two-weapon because tickling people with your
crysknife is distracting you from belting them with Grayswandir.
Conversely, a Samurai should use the two swords right out the gate. This
is good because they are movie samurai not real ones. Enormously reduce
the to-hit and damage penalties that apply now per-weapon; at Skilled
two-weapon, each single attack should be just as good as a one-handed
attack.

All artifact weapons get a flat +1d4 damage when they don't get any other
bonus. Bingo, no more junk artifacts.

Shields; add a "shield" skill practiced by being hit with a shield worn.
At unskilled shield, all shields are AC 1; at skilled, the value is
doubled; at expert, tripled. Add a 3 AC "tower shield" with no special
properties.

Two-handed weapons increase skill and strength bonuses to damage by 50% at
Basic skill and 100% at Skilled or Expert.

Cap player hitpoints at some rough multiple of experience level.

Late-game monsters that just hit should hit hard, like minotaurs.
Recognise the way that player damage reduction makes one big attack better
than several small ones.

This gives a situation where two-weaponing is great for hitting, and is a
great boon to someone who can't get a decent artifact but can double what
they do get with a crysknife or similar - and unlike the current
situation, the incentive to use it is much higher if you can get a decent
skill. For an Expert, the damage output is still quite respectable.

Shields create a very powerful defensive option for people with the skill,
at the cost of spellcasting ease - and any special shield ability if a
tower shield is in use. This becomes more valuable with capped hitpoints
and hard-hitting monsters.

Two-handed weapons do cruel brutal damage - not as much as #twoweapon does
now, but still pretty hefty. This is not unbalanced given the lack of a
shield's defense boost and the cursed two-hander problem, and it restores
the Tsurugi to its rightful place as the best weapon in the game (c'mon,
it's a two-hander that Rodney can steal and cut you in half with).

This proposal tends to mean that your available skills will inform whether
you use twoweapon, a shield, or a twohander - at the moment from a pure
efficiency POV anyone who can twoweapon should.

I am open to suggestions for a bonus for characters (presumably
spellcasters) who fight with one open hand.

[1] IIRC NetHack TH rolls might be backwards, but never mind.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Epithumia, Presuary - a weekend.

> @Chuck - It's version 3.4.1. As mentioned above, it doesn't offend my
> gaming sensibilities or anything. It just seems a little odd.
>

> Thanks guys...
>
> --Todd

Some people get non-release versions, so just covering all bases there.

David Damerell wrote:
> Shields; add a "shield" skill practiced by being hit with a shield worn.

Wouldn't it make more sense to practice the skill by being missed
instead of being hit? If the opponent manages to hit you, you didn't use
your shield successfully, did you?

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> David Damerell wrote:

>> Shields; add a "shield" skill practiced by being hit with a shield
>> worn.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to practice the skill by being missed
> instead of being hit? If the opponent manages to hit you, you didn't
> use your shield successfully, did you?

You need to fall to learn to get up.

--
Boudewijn.

Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp00@web.de> writes:

> David Damerell wrote:
> > Shields; add a "shield" skill practiced by being hit with a shield worn.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to practice the skill by being missed
> instead of being hit? If the opponent manages to hit you, you didn't use
> your shield successfully, did you?

It should apply when you are missed because of the shield, rather than
every time you are hit (or missed). A successful shield block is the
shield equivalent of a successful blow with your weapon.

--
David Grabiner, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu, http://remarque.org/~grabiner
Baseball labor negotiations FAQ: http://remarque.org/~grabiner/laborfaq.html