Which official character classes (i.e. from WotC) get
certain spells at an earlier-than-standard level?

For instance, does the Healer core class from the Miniatures
Handbook get any "early" spells?

Whether she does or not, are there any other cases?

I know for a fact that such instances are spelled out very
clearly in Unearthed Arcana, where e.g. the Cloistered
Cleric gets some spells one (or even two!) levels earlier
than what is standard.

How commonly is it done, in classes in non-core WotC books?
When it is done, is anything done to make the reader aware
of it?

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Peter Knutsen wrote:
> How commonly is it done, in classes in non-core WotC books? When it is
> done, is anything done to make the reader aware of it?

You can get some spells from Feats, sort of like Racial Feats, but I think these
are Heritage Feats, like the Draconic ones. Is that what you are talking about?
--
"... to satisfy the honours and place, I had to leave her in silence ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

>Which official character classes (i.e. from WotC) get
>certain spells at an earlier-than-standard level?

Suggestion and Tongues are 2nd level spells for Bards,
but 3rd level spells for Wizards/Sorcerors. Bards don't
get those spells at an earlier character level, though.

I'm pretty sure some of the Cleric domain spells are
a different level than their arcane counterparts, but
Identify is the only example I can find. It's a 1st
level W/S spell, but a 2nd level domain spell.

I think the Druid spell list is out of whack with the
others, too - they get some spells earlier, some later.
I might be thinking of an earlier edition of the game,
though, or be just plain wrong.

Pete

Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
>Which official character classes (i.e. from WotC) get
>certain spells at an earlier-than-standard level?

The Ur-Priest can get 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells earlier than normal
(at 12th, 13th, and 14th levels, IIRC). The Blighter is probably one
level behind that.

The Occult Slayer gets a form of Spell Turning, a 7th level spell,
at 2nd (character level 7)...

Radiant Servants of Pelor get really powerful Healing Domain spells
(effectively 2, 3, or 5 levels higher), and somewhat more powerful
/light/ spells.

Don't forget that Bards get some spells slightly earlier than one
would expect. And in the old days (3.0E), some domains granted
spells earlier than normal...

Donald

Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>>Which official character classes (i.e. from WotC) get
>>certain spells at an earlier-than-standard level?
>
>Suggestion and Tongues are 2nd level spells for Bards,
>but 3rd level spells for Wizards/Sorcerors. Bards don't
>get those spells at an earlier character level, though.

4th isn't earlier than 5th? (remember, Bards progress in spell levels
at 2nd, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, and 16th). Also, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
and Magic Mouth are 1st for Bards (2nd for Sor/Wiz), as is Undetectable
Alignment (2nd for Clerics and Paladins(!)).

Legend Lore is available to a 10th level Bard, but requires an 11th
level Wizard, 12th level Sorcerer, or 13th level Cleric with the
Knowledge domain.

Resist Energy for Rangers is kinda cool (cooler than Animal Messenger,
anyway), as is Lesser Restoration for Paladins, and Fire Trap,
Poison, and Neutralize Poison for Druids.

Animal Shapes and Screen are the only spells I've found that're lower-
level Domain spells than any other type.

Note that the Clerical version of Identify uses a DF instead of a costly
material component...

Donald

Donald Tsang <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>>>Which official character classes (i.e. from WotC) get
>>>certain spells at an earlier-than-standard level?
>>
>>Suggestion and Tongues are 2nd level spells for Bards,
>>but 3rd level spells for Wizards/Sorcerors. Bards don't
>>get those spells at an earlier character level, though.

>4th isn't earlier than 5th?

Oh for the love of God. I saw that it was 4th level and
thought it made them equal to sorcerors. Except of course
for sorcerors and wizards it's a third level spell, which
is the whole damned point of the discussion.

I am ashamed.

Pete

Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
>>Which official character classes (i.e. from WotC) get
>>certain spells at an earlier-than-standard level?
>
> Suggestion and Tongues are 2nd level spells for Bards,
> but 3rd level spells for Wizards/Sorcerors. Bards don't
> get those spells at an earlier character level, though.

That's the catch, in some cases, yes, that one should not
look only at spell level but also at class level, for those
classes that don't get spell levels as fast as the Wizard
and Cleric and Druid does.

(But apparently it's not the catch in this particular case
after all).

> I'm pretty sure some of the Cleric domain spells are
> a different level than their arcane counterparts, but

Animate Dead, for one. I suspect it's gimped for Wizards as
a 5th level spell, whereas it may be useful for Clerics as a
3rd level spell.

On the other hand, when I asked on here, earlier (last
year?) about PC usage of Animate Dead, I got told that it
happened very rarely.

> Identify is the only example I can find. It's a 1st
> level W/S spell, but a 2nd level domain spell.
>
> I think the Druid spell list is out of whack with the
> others, too - they get some spells earlier, some later.

I know for a fact that after Cure Light Wounds - which is
1st level both for Cleric and Druid - the Druid gets his
Cure spells one spell level later than the Cleric.

One presumes that he gets something in return for this,
either extra nifty class abilities, or else that he gets
some "earlied" spells. But I'm not sure what those are.

Or a third possibility: That he gets attack spells,
something the Cleric isn't heavy on. That may be the case,
at least it's my impression that the Druid gets a bunch of
element-flavoured attack sells.

> I might be thinking of an earlier edition of the game,
> though, or be just plain wrong.

Does 3.5 differ from 3.0 in this regard?

All I know, apart from the Druid/Cure issue, is that the DMG
suggest switching spell levels around, in the section on
building custom classes (with the Witch class as the
example). It talks about lowering the level of some spells,
in return for raising the level of some other spells (with
the intent, although IIRC it's implicit, to give the class a
"theme" or "capabilitistic flavour").

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org