dropping system resources!!

G

here's my specs:
AMD 1GHz, 256mb, msi pro2-a board, 7200rpm 40gb quantum
Win ME
System resources on startup 78%.

I'm pretty sure that this is an issue w/my OS but if I run my system for a few hours using a variety of programs, my system resources in some cases drop to 15% and I get an error message, then I restart. I have the RAM Idle program on my system and it helped but I need a better solution. Anyone have ideas??? Thanks for your help.

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ignore FUGGER, he's spewing crap.

The System Resources is made up of a number of things, User Resources, GDI Resources, System RAM etc. Unfortunately many programs handle there own memory usage fairly badly and fail to clean up after themselves properly and returning resources to Windows after closing. Windows itself is also a culprit, particularly Win 98.
There are some fixes in Win ME for this but I don't recommend going to that, personally I think it's crap, as there is less driver support and some games won't work.

One solution is to use a dual-boot. Use the more stable Win NT for anything work you do that has an NT version of the software you use. Then boot to 98 for games and messing around.

If you want the ultimate stability have a Linux partition, but I would only recommend this to the advanced user. It is a memory managing master. My friend has run a firewall on one machine with Linux for a year with no downtime. He doesn;t even use a monitor he trusts it that much.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

G

>Nah, thats typical AMD.

Do you have any evidence that this problem is caused by using an AMD CPU?

If so, please post it.
Otherwise STFU.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

typical amd huh?

my cousins p3 800 has the same problems with windows

typical intel

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

G

Thanks for the comments. I am plannning the dual boot, ajmcgarry. I thought it was a software thing coz I have heard of it from other users, running INTEL as well. If anyone knows of any other fixes that work please post...
Thanks again.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ignore it and hopefully it goes away.

Now your gonna go with dual boot, and god forbid it screws up. This forum gave you real good advice. =P

Better off formatting/reloading and pray it goes away. search for new drivers now before you slit your throat, err I mean disconnect from the internet.

G

Yea, that's real helpful.
Any evidence you'd care to share with regard to your original claim that this is AMD induced?

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure george, if you scroll up and read the first post you will see
"here's my specs:
AMD 1GHz, 256mb, msi pro2-a board, 7200rpm 40gb quantum
Win ME
System resources on startup 78%"

Notice where he states his CPU is a AMD 1Ghz, that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What does Windows system resources have to do with the brand of processor?

More FFF (short for Fabricated Fugger Facts).

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Well I am kinda new to this forum and the one thing I see is don't take anything that this FUGGER guy has to say as truth. He has little man complex and it shows big time. How does it feel FUGGER to be labeled a pirah? The dual boot system is by far the way to go, or if you can wait till october rolls around I would suggest going with XP as it looks to be a better 98 built on NT tech.

G

So, because I've had windows problems on my intel based machines, I should conclude that it's intels fault.

You must be a hell of a system integrator. Your debugging skills, for one, are unbelievable (as in, I don'5t believe them).

And we <i>still</i> haven't heard back from you yet on those <i>hundreds</i> of incompatibilities you've experienced with AMD products.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh. windows mutant excriment.
my suggestion is
Windows 2000 Pro
after constant win 98 heartache and frequent reboots the stability of 2000 is such a plesant shock.
once i had got the right drivers and put in the service pack 2 i havnt yet had to do a reboot due to a operating system crash.
only reboots required are due to the usual overclocking attempts, software installs).

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!