G

I'm building my first PC, and I've already decided that it will definetly be Intel. Please let's not get into a Intel vs AMD conversation here.

I've ordered an Antec 1040 case and have not yet decided on the Intel CPU or motherboard. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. Is P4 the way to go now or would I be just as happy with a 1Ghz P3? If I bought a P3 motherboard and CPU now, would that work with the new P3 chip coming out soon?

Many thanks,
Calibis

"Like sausage and law, one should never watch software being made."

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Those are some good questions to which there may not be good answers yet. Only you can know if a 1GHz P3 is fast enough for you. I would suggest though that if you can, you should wait for the new chips from Intel to come out. Even if you decide that you don't need them, they'll still drive the prices of the older stuff down.

If the opposite of pro is con, what is the opposite of productivity? Ground first.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Silver, What are you doing out of the others section!

If you buy a motherboard now it will not be compatable with the new line of Intel chips coming out. I'm not sure if it's possible that someone can make a converter for the new style chips to work in current Motherboards. I suggest you read around and look at some benchmarks. Then you'll know what kind of speed your looking for.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

G

Well, I currently use a P2-400Mhz, which to tell you the truth is still pretty fast for most things, but I would like to upgrade it for some new games coming out. :D(Anarchy Online, World War 2 Online, Wizardry 8, Shadowbane, Neverwinter Nights, Dark Ages of Camelot, etc...) I'll make my P2-400 a Windows/Linux Server for my software development work.

If a 1Ghz P3 is close to a 1.7 Ghz P4, AND the new P3 chip can be swapped-in when it comes out, then I would lean toward a P3 motherboard and chip I think.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I know. It's horrible. But I got so tired of reading about OpenGL programming for my next major programming project that I guess I went a little insane and came back to the CPU section. You wouldn't beleve how many unread posts there were. But unlike Pokemon, I didn't have to get them all. Heh heh.

If the opposite of pro is con, what is the opposite of productivity? Ground first.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
what mother board do yoiu have beacuse you may be able to get a converter and a flip chip and run it on you r board and it would hold you over for a good while until all this new stuff comes out becuase formt he current p3 and p4 there are no upgrade paths. at least to the fact that you can't use the same mother board

i doit any body will make an convert for the nex chip because a few of the protocals are spose to be diffrent so it would be very hard to do

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I believe that Pettytheft is right about not being able to put the soon to be released Intel chips into current motherboards. I wouldn't expect it to be possible anyway. Sure, a converter might come out that will allow you to, but I wouldn't push my luck with things like that. So if you get a motherboard today, it'll probably only support the current Intel chips, which would leave you with no room for upgrading.

At least you've got pretty good taste in games. A 1GHz P3 might be fast enough so long as you use a high end video card.

Well, heck, so long as you can exceed minimum system requirements, any system is good enough, and I can't see games commonly requiring a 1GHz or higher CPU any time in the next year at least.

Really though, I wouldn't go with the current P4. It's a hacked-up pre-release of what should have been a much better chip. Hopefully when Intel releases their next generation of the P4, the Northwood, it'll be much better. But until then, I certainly would avoid a P4 unless SSE2 was absolutely necesary. (Which it usually isn't.)

If I were in your position (I'm actually rather close, only running on a Celeron 500), I'd wait. The new P3 (Tualtin) will be a good chip. And the new P4 (Northwood) will hopefully rock.

But, if you can't wait, and you get a new P3 now, the 1GHz should do well enough for games. You'll probably just have to upgrade the motherboard and chip if you want to upgrade that system at a later time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A 1GHz current PIII will be fast enough for most gamers and high-end users for the next 3 years! The revised chipset for the Tolutin is not on the shelves yet, but several manufacturers have done "Paper Releases" of motherboards with it. So if you don't believe me about the PIII 1GHz, I suggest you wait until the new boards become available. The P4 is also getting a revision, and will also require a motherboard upgrade.
So I would say if you want to build now, go with a PIII 1GHz and an Asus CUSL2. Or if you can wait a little while, the new stuff starts comming out this fall.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Wizardry 8???
the REAL wizardry? for scitech? gimmie gimie gimmie
where is it???
me want
lol

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

G

Good information all, I think I will go ahead and take the P3 advice, and when the new stuff comes out I'll just switch out the mb and cpu. Thanks for the guidance.

G

Asus CUSL2, can you tell me a little about this board? Is this considered one of the best for the P3 1Ghz and why? Thanks a bunch.

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Based on what THG says, don't forget to get some PC150/166 SDRAM now if you are interested in overclocking the new PIII (Tualatin). They are cheap too (~$20 for 128MB on Pricewatch).

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
but don't forget the Tualatin will not run on anything but the latest mobos, which are not really tested yet.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mmmmm oh yeah... 7 was so much fun. challenging too! *drool* *ZAAAAPPP!* *spark spark* *fizzle*

WeLl ThErE gOeS mY kEyBoArD
:) lol

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The CUSL2 is considered the best. Since the i815 chipset comes with onboard video, the CUSL2 includes both the onboard video and an AGP 4x PRO slot. Most people ignore the onboard video and install an AGP card. The chipset detects the AGP card and disables onboard video automatically.

The CULS2-C has the video port removed, a standard AGP 4x slot (not a PRO slot, but you don't need the Pro), and some other minor stuff removed. It is considered by most people to be just as good as the CUSL2, but is about $20 cheaper.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

koolman_

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
just go for Intel D815EPEA2 mobo i have one and its performance is rocksolid asus boards are only good for overclocking their performance is not as good as Intel boards if you dont like overclocking go for Intel mobo.

Never share your secrets with a friend,you never know when he becomes your enemy.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
yes it is pete, got me 256 yesterday, corsair memory,made a BIG difference. got it from www.scan.co.uk lol only went for a hard drive, came back with allsorts and a smouldering credit card :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Okay, somebody had to mention AMD, so I guess it will be me.
Why did you rule AMD out ?

Anyway, as many others have mentioned, picking an intel platform isnt too easy these days. The P3 is dead-end since Tualatin will be comming out, and requires a new motherboard. Its your money, but I would never buy a motherboard that couldnt handle at least one or two cpu upgrades. P4 is also dead-end, as you know Northwood is comming out. However, if you have the money for a 1.7, it should last a while. Throwing a motherboard away after 3 years doesnt hurt that bad.

Also concider the memory issue. If you go for a P3 now, you may want to buy a DDR board, and get DDR ram. Not that it helps performance, but that at least then you dont have to throw away mb+ram+cpu in year or so. If you go the P4 way, you'll end up with RDRAM.. not too sure how long even intel will support this memory type, but its probably safe to say you might upgrade to Northwood later, and keep your RDRAM (is the 1+Ghz RDRAM already out ?).

From a performance point of view, a P3 1Ghz would be sufficient now, and next year, and maybe even longer when combined with a high-end videocard for gaming. But still, you'll have to upgrade it one day; so keep that in mind.

If I were you, I'd buy an Athlon system. Something like a 1 Ghz Tbird would suite your gaming needs perfectly, and you can always upgrade it a faster cpu (maybe as much a 2+ Ghz Barton one day). If VIA scares you, get a SiS or ALI based motherboard.. or an AMD 760 board.

If you insist on buying intel, I'd wait for Tualatin. If you read toms preview, you'll have noticed it performs quite well, and at least you'll have a moderate upgrade path (dont know how fast they will make them.. 1.2 at least, but maybe more.. 1.4+ should be achieveable I guess).

An other option would be to wait for northwood. Though it will most likely be overkill for todays games, this might be a system you'll hang on to for many years, and be able to upgrade.

In short, any platform you buy today (heck, maybe even a 850 Celeron) would be fast enough for todays games when combined with an apropriate videocard. P3 and P4 are dead end streets, but if that doesnt bother you, you cant go too wrong with either one for gaming.

If you have to buy today, a tbird would make most sense to me. If you can wait, I think a tualitin would be a good alternative. If you got money to burn, a Nortwood system might be an excellent and lasting choice.

Just my 2 cents though..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sweet! It really is finally out. Pricewatch lists PC166 CAS2 128MB DIMMs at $21 a pop, and $37 each for 256MB DIMMs. Granted, those are generic brands. Strangely, I can't find anything from Micron/Crucial. [shrug]